Ad Boards Trying To Get Me To Join The Army?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mr.shiiba, Jul 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

To page 3 and beyond!

The next stage for this thread is obviously going to be talking about the US armed forces and NATO, which is going to happen when either me or Callum B. can no longer refrain from starting to talk about it

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Probably another difference between US and UK.
    In the UK it doesn't really matter what the intention was, if it's found to be offensive by the recipient then it's generally viewed as offensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's criminal or outlawed. Sometimes people have a perfect right to be offensive so long as it's not abusive, harmful, discriminatory or a threat of violence
    I'm sure there are many words I could say in school in my childhood (mid eighties) that would get me outright banned from this forum immediately including sexist, racist, ablist and so on. Times change and yes new words come in and are as offensive to someone as those old words are to those sexes, races etc

But you're still allowed to call someone an arse and might only get a punch in the face for it rather than arrested

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Why this obsession trying to pigeon hole people? I don't seem myself as a "Generation X" I see myself as a member of the human race! It just causes division.

I really do worry about the future, too many people are choosing to be offended on behalf of others when they haven't even sought their opinion. We now have to be shielded from other peoples points of view rather than being given the opportunity to confront them, take "no platforming" in universities for example. What happened to personal responsibility when we could learn to make our own minds up without having to be pointed in a certain direction. I don't agree with the use of pejorative terms to describe others but I can see where some of the frustration comes from.

I dread to think how some in the western world would cope with living in Ukraine at the moment. Surely what is happening there, just highlights, sadly, how much we need a strong armed forces at the moment.

I would love to live in a peaceful world where armies weren't needed but we are many generations away from it and it certainly won't happen in my lifetime.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the obsession is driven top down rather than bottom up.

Big marketing companies and ftse 100 CEOs allowing this type of profile creation and then it seaps down to us as terms of reference.

As for each generations individual tag some do have some merit. For example the silent generation has some merit if you look at the history of that one.

One that I think can sometimes be used unfairly is "boomer" whereas "baby boomer" is more accurate as it notes the generation that were born post ww2 during a boom in births.

There is an unfortunate slight that can be used in conversation which is "OK boomer" which I will let you google as it often refers to someone under 35 giving a nudge and a wink to baby boomers not understanding youthful people's outlook towards renting, environment or not owning their own home etc.

But I agree in principle here that pigeon holing is unfortunate but most definetly not driven from people here, it comes down from a very high level and will be with us for as long as western democratic societies exist.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Boomer IS baby boomer... ie the people who were born post war. People just abbreviate everything

Not sure on this. People seem to pidgeon hole people generally rather than it being a societal construction, even so far as "That person isn't from here, we should distrust them" which would be a protective reaction. This would then extend to "That person is of a different race" etc etc. Maybe it's been more codified by those higher up but we do it naturally

6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Remember that TSW isn't at all the first game to have real-life ads in it - not even the first paid game. Saints Row 2 had it, as did Burnout Paradise (Barack Obama's presidential campaign actually got advertising space in Burnout Paradise)...

7. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Moving to off-topic.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Skyz2020

Thank you Sam, I would agree this has become off topic, however the discussion there in has been highly informative of differing view points.

I hope this thread continues to be enlightening for all

9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if dtg allowed u.s routes have U.S political advertising

10. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

There's a few things that position today's RAF far from the genuinely heroic RAF of 1940:

https://cosmoschronicle.com/raf-is-servicing-saudi-jets-bombing-civilians-in-yemen/
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...out-us-the-uks-true-role-in-yemens-deadly-war
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ldrens-exhibition-link-to-arms-maker-raytheon

Then there's the matter of pretty distasteful inner culture in the branch:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...itiation-ceremony-triggers-investigation.html

I don't mind real-world adverts being shown in game if you select that option - I guess that represents RL surroundings accurately to heighten the sense of realism - but let's not pretend there can be nothing wrong with joining modern armed forces of countries striking military deals with and joining operations by bloody dictatorships.

• Like Like x 1
  11. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I have just as much admiration and respect for the RAF of 1940 as the RAF today. In actual fact I have the same amount of respect for everyone who has been in the armed forces no matter the role, in peacetime or wartime, they are all heroic and inspiring people.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Commiee

Well, that's a personal, subjective decision, not something reflected by facts of where the world has gone since WW2 days of honourable service.

13. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I personally don't have a problem with it, now if it was the navy being advertised, that would be another matter entirely ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Do correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that the brave people who have chosen to essentially give up many aspects of their life to protect you in this fragile world are not honourable. I mean come on surely there must be some respect within you for all the hard work not only the RAF but the rest of the military do everyday which even if we don't realise keeps us protected from threats.

• Like Like x 3
  15. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

So those men and women in the armed forces during the cold war are worthless are they? they did nothing to prevent communism taking over the world?

i lived in Germany when the wall came down in 1989, the BIKINI alert state at our barracks went from black to amber overnight (the UK forces version of the USA's DEFCON state thing)

it could have gone either way at that point, and it's not just luck that we came out the other side with a massive reduction in threats that could end the way we are used to living forever.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Commiee

No, I am not saying that. I am not talking about individuals and their reasons to join armed forces. My comment was about a factual answer to a question about whether there can be things that are wrong about joining RAF today.

This is such a ridiculously infantile claim, and one so packed with ideological assumptions, that responding to it would take the thread massively off-topic. There was a question asked in the thread, and I responded to it above - I don't think I need to add anything else to that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. The funny thing is, I hadn't noticed any ads until the op mentioned them!

mr.shiiba
    Are you trying to make me join the army?

• Like Like x 2
  18. thatsn0moon

thatsn0moon Member

While on the topic of things to remove can we get rid of all red signals? I believe in a world where we are all in charge of our destiny and these pesky signals infringe on my beliefs.

• Like Like x 4
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Who could forget these classic songs…
    In The Army Now by Status Quo
    In The Navy by The Village People
    You Saw That Advert On That Train Simulator And Now You’re In The RAF by Jim Diamond

• Like Like x 7
  20. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Funniest and scariest thread in equal measure I’ve read on here. The word snowflake is offensive? Nah, only to those who are one which is kind of the point because if the truth hurts and all that. Besides their over sensitivity towards every single thing in life which is having a direct unwanted impact on my daily life offends me! Or doesn’t that matter? Turn off all those real life adverts TSW2 players because you really don’t want to be reminded of the real world we all live in. I mean goodness me we can’t be all having nightmares by living in the real world now can we! Don’t get yourself killed joining any branch of the armed forces but do willingly contribute to your own slow death and years of ill health by stuffing yourself full of the likes of Pringles. ( Have any of you ever melted down a tub of Pringles? ) etc, etc.

Seriously people get a grip eh.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  21. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

You cannot assume to understand the feelings of many others to certain aspects of media, what may seem offensive to some may be indifferent to others. It isn't respectful to the unknown opinions of individuals to categories them into such a word, so the best way to respect everyone is to try to understand that difference.

• Like Like x 2
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Congratulations, you have learnt how offensive words work. They are indeed offensive only to people who are offended by them. As a white person should I use racially offensive words because they aren’t offensive to me and only to those to whom the offensive terms relate? The answer is no. Snowflake is used as an offensive word when describing someone as one in the context of its new meaning. You know that it is offensive and that’s why you would use it that way, in an attempt to ‘hurt someone with the truth’ of their difference to you.

• Like Like x 2
  23. People often call me a caring understanding nineties type! You can call me ....... all you like.

24. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Let's cut the topic off here, and remember to stay respectful to all players.

25. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - escalating the argument.]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2022
  26. Skyz2020

I think this maybe of help:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/wokery

For you shweet:

"way of referring to the acts and opinions of people who are especially aware of social problems such as racism and inequality, used by people who do not approve of these acts and opinions"

I'm afraid Mr stujoy is quite correct to make the racism link as per the above,... the shoe does fit in context of this discussion

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Well this post is slowly turning into a "melting" pot.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Don't off topic threads normally end in this Manor.

29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

This thread is one to stay well clear of.
    Should have been shut down a long time ago.

30. Skyz2020

I think so. Looks like not everyone can transcend.

MODS I think its time to close this one up

Business here needs to be concluded before heat is applied

31. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I thought Alex had shut this thread down?

Its taking all my effort not to wade in and to tell both sides what I think, but then Id likely be banned (ok the all my effort is a complete exaggeration , but there is temptation)..

32. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This has gone far enough.

For further reference, use of any language to attack other users in blanket fashion is frowned upon. We would no more likely allow use of "gammon" as a pejorative than we do "snowflake". This kind of language is used near-exclusively as a political dogwhistle and almost without exception leads to threads ending up off topic and in hostile territory.

We give a lot of leeway in behaviour on this forum on the proviso that users are civil toward one another. Wrappering your disagreement with something in language that you know full well will start or escalate an argument is detrimental to the conversation on this forum overall.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.