Your Opinion? Iow Update 2022

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by @l3x_Fr, Jul 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sometimes I will watch certain youtubers that really take a look around and point out the bad bits. Then I can normally purchase and play the dlc if I'm happy with it. But normally If I really want a game I'll just buy it and find out for myself.

I prefer a surprise.

2. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Have to disagree with many of the opinions on here and think what Rivet has done has set a worrying precedent. How would you all feel if you were charged every time the preservation crew released an update? The upgrade to the IOW route should have been free to people who owned the route and the new loco charged at the normal price.

Going forward it appears that Rivet have learnt a lot from DTG so let’s hope that any NEW routes from them are far superior to the poor standard of their previous work.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

The upgrade to the standard route was free

And if the new route replaced the old IoW route it would be inappropriate for the rolling stock already there

I don't see the problem

• Like Like x 3
  4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

How would you feel about a Liverpool-Crewe route overhaul with all the track ripped up, catenary added, updated stations and a class 350 EMU? Should it be free? The price of a new route? the cost of a loco DLC? Or something in between?

5. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

It’s not a new route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

7. Princess Entrapta

Okay, so what sort of price would you suggest for my hypothetical modern-era Liverpool-Crewe route? The price of a Loco DLC for the EMU? A couple of quid more for all the work put into adding the catenary and modifying track and stations, maybe?

8. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

If it's an upgrade to bring a previously low quality route upto a better standard then the decent thing to do would be to offer it for free. Sure, owners of the original did get an update of sorts for free but if you're one of those who already owns the route but would nonetheless like to try the new train then you have no choice but to pay premium in order to do so - and to further compound matters, those who just want the loco (to add to their collection) are also being forced to pay extra purely and simply because Rivet chose to release a train that was impossible to play on the route it was intended for.
    In fact, the only real winners here are those who didn't support Rivet Games with the original IoW addon.

At the end of the day this is the second time Rivet have demanded more money in order to enhance a previously poor quality route and whilst some are clearly ok with these practices I personally aren't because it as good as says that it no longer matters what the initial quality of a route is like when the option of a second bite of the cherry is always on the table.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  9. Princess Entrapta

Well it was never going to run on a different time period's version of the route because a 26 million pound overhaul to all the stations and track was necessary to even make it possible for it to run on the line in real life. An overhaul which happened AFTER the original TSW2 route was developed.
    Likewise, the 483 wouldn't have been able to run on this route, had they waited and made this version instead of the original IoW.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  10. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

So when exactly did Rivet DEMAND more money? The route was announced ( although somebody in DTG STILL thinks it's loco DLC!) The price was announced and at no point between those announcements and release did I or anyone else get a message from Rivet DEMANDING more money! You buy the route or you don't, DTG, Rivet nor Skyhook DEMAND that you buy them. They build em and it's up to you whether you spend your money on them or not!

11. MarcusReynolds

MarcusReynolds New Member

I agreed with you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022