Black Mountains And Black Ground Texture Problem In The Distance, How To Finally Fix It?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by pasictarik10, Sep 7, 2020.

1. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

For a while now, I've had problems with black mountains and black ground texture in the distance on most routes. I have no idea how to fix it or what the problem is. Whenever there is a route with a lot of mountains, it gets even worse. I tried to toggle field of view, ambient occlusion, depth of field etc. and change settings to see if it improves anything but it doesn't. Could it be an anti-aliasing or texture filtering issue? Here are two pictures so you can see for yourself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

What video card are you using?
    Drivers up to date?
    What monitor - are you using the windows default/native/recommended resolution in TS20XX?
    Have you tried resetting the video settings:
    Close TS and Steam and navigate to
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content and delete/rename the playerprofiles.bin file.
    Restart Steam and then TS 2020 allowing the latter to rebuild the graphics/monitor settings file.
    If this works and TS 2020 opens, then reset your graphics/monitor settings within TS 2020.

3. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I don't know what the windows default/native/recommended resolution in TS20XX is.

I really need to make sure I don't do something stupid I can't go back on if I do what you're suggesting. I edited a lot of routes, I don't want to lose everything.

Everything is up to date, I posted about my computer specs a few months ago on this forum.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

https://www.howtogeek.com/119117/ht...your-monitors-native-resolution-is-important/
    So someone who is trying to help you should look back thru your old posts because you are too lazy to the info again?

Why should we help you if you cannot help us?

5. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Have you experimented with weather choice?
    It, or its details might cause similar things. Not really while playing, but more in the editor.
    Other than that, I've no idea. Looks like a distance blur to me, thinking it's dark, its settings being useful in foggy, rainy weather.

6. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I have that problem in every weather choice, it's more noticeable in sunny weather because skies are clear but either way it's a recurrent problem on most routes as was my sun problem which I still haven't solved.

7. RGoo

RGoo Member

Do you have anti- aliasing on? That used to happen to me when it was off. Even if you have it on the lowest setting other than off it gets rid of the issue

8. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

So I would have to have anti-aliasing on then?

9. RGoo

RGoo Member

I’m sorry I just realised I made an error. Sorry. You would need Dynamic Lighting on, as that enables a smoother fade between the foreground and background. Anti- Aliasing would still be helpful though as it would smooth out the jagged lines in the background

10. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

If I switch around anti-aliasing, it just creates weird black and white flashes all over on my computer screen as if the screen was damaged. However, maybe there's a specific set of anti-aliasing. As for Dynamic Lighting I will try it but as I recall then the whole route becomes way too bright as if it was a Lego game.

11. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

This isn't a Contrast issue, I already explained that. Adapative Bloom is turned off.

12. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Also have the same issue on multiple routes from Pacific Surfliner, Arosa , Rsslo stuff. Never found a fix. I believe it only occurs on AMD video cards.
    Any updates on the matter , possible fix ?

13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

NVidia GTX 1050 Ti, no issues.

14. dbrunner#4864

Ty for the reply.
    Anyone with an AMD card can comment if the issue with dark distant terrain also occurs on his side?

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

As you've bumped an almost two year old thread, you're most likely the only one experiencing this. I recommend upgrading your GFX card.

16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have a AMD card and having no issues.

17. dbrunner#4864

My RX5700 blasts away all curent gen games on Ultra without any issues. No need to upgrade yet especially since for the price I payed for this you now get a low end card.

Can you please tell me what driver version are you using and what card . I wonder if it's a driver related thing.

18. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am using a RX570 with current driver version 22.6.1.

19. dbrunner#4864

Thanks a lot for the information provided!

Now that I know this issue is only on my side and not a generic problem I can try to troubleshoot again

I wonder if also a corrupted ground texture/ asset might be causing this on all routes, but it would be a real pain to find out which one it is

• Like Like x 1
  20. dbrunner#4864

Tried reinstalling the game and the latest video driver. Still same issue

the issue is caused by dynamic lights. It doesn't mater what weather you have, when you load the map half the terrain will be in complete darkness until you approach it like 1 km away and than the normal textures will appear around the camera. This is such a weird thing, when traversing such dark terrain area, only the terrain in a certain radius around the train is being lit and rendered properly the rest is pitch black.

I might need to raise a new thread on this, but i'm still puzzled why this occurs on a modern AMD card. Must be something with the way dynamic light interacts with the environment.

21. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

I have this problem as well.
    AMD 5500xt most recent drivers.
    I have notice it before but it seems particularly worst as of late.
    After Disabling dynamic the lighting the distant hills and mountains are really bright instead of black.

Also Hyces latest live stream going checking out the RGS you can see he is having this problem.
    you can see it around the 51 min mark.

22. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

There's clearly something wrong with Hyce's video - probably a driver issue or setting - so don't take it as a reference for the route!

I have done exactly that QD, both with DynamicClouds enabled and disabled. (NVidia GTX 1050Ti).
    This is what the route is supposed to look like:

DynamicClouds (SL_Clear)
    1.png

No DynClouds (RW_Clear)
    2.png

Turning off Dynamic Lights is no solution - you'll basically revert back to the old 2007-2011 renderer. Simple shadows, no light casting sources, no AA, no raindrops.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2023
  23. dbrunner#4864

I have found a fix for this issue. Using Vulkan renderer in TSC. Not only that it fixes the dark terrain problem but you also get a very nice fps boost on very demanding routes.
    1 A. If you have RWenhancer 2 just activate it from there
    1 B If not get if from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxvk.mirror/files/v2.1/dxvk-2.1.tar.gz/download
    2 Open archive go to X64 folder, and copy the d3d9.dll to your TSC main folder

Notes. Using anything other than full screen while running the game with Vulkan renderer will cause micro stuttering at least on my side

24. karlack26

I dont know the point you trying to make. i have the same issues as the OP on multiple routes its the same issue hyce is having in that video. cool bro that you dont have the problem. I know turning off dynamic light is not a good solution. but it was more pointing out that its some issue with the distant terrain dynamic light shader,

25. karlack26

thank you it worked

• Like Like x 1
  26. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Glad you found a solution. My point was that the issue is obviously AMD related. When troubleshooting, any information can be vital. Just wanted to make sure it is not the route's TimeOfDay files. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2023
  27. dbrunner#4864

With pleasure, at least my countless hours trying to figure this out can also be helpful to other people.

• Like Like x 1
  28. karlack26

I bought RW enhancer 1 because it was only 10 bucks to see if it could fix it. RW enhancer 2 was a little steep and i did not realize it has a option for Vulcan renderer. Or I might have tried it as well. But the link you gave with dll wokred

• Like Like x 1
  29. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

seems this Vulcan dll also consumes more fps than the stock renderer?
    One needs to remove the file d3dx9_26.dll from the Railworks folder to default to the DX9 renderer that comes with your video card?
    On Steam verification this file will get added back in though ...

30. karlack26

You don't need to remove any files just drop the file as described above in you main folder. On my end i had a major perfomance improvements using Vulcan over native dx9.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023