New Union Pacific Look!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grdaniel48, Jul 27, 2022.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

UP has changed slightly its paint scheme.
    The USA flag disappears from the side, as the main thing, being replacing for the railroad name.
    But a smaller flag goes to the cab side.

Furthermore at the front end, the nice - for me at least - wings at the side of the logo dissapeared too!

NEW UP LOOK.jpg
    Do you like it?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, the UP employees do, I guess, since they helped in the design. Personally, I quite liked the nose wings. Changing the size and location of the flag is fine though.
    Overall, the new livery looks good, although it will take a few years to completely roll out and most locos you see day-to-day will still sport the old paint scheme for some time to come.
    It'll be fun to try and spot the new livery. Though, since I recently moved, I don't have a UP line as close as I used to have.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Short answer: NO!!!

Extended answer: This new livery just spells out terrible imo. I'm fine with the small shield & slogan at the side and the lighting stripe as well, but the flags at the nose really buzz killed the look entirely. I have enjoyed the past liveries that UP made (even the winged logo doesn't bother me much anyways), but this current one ain't gonna grow on me in the future, nor it's gonna change my mind later on. And that's all I'm gonna say about this.

[this will be my last edit to this post, so take it or leave it]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  4. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Definitely looks more simplified and ‘retro’.

I gotta say I liked the wings on the front personally but it still looks nice.

5. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I agree about the change of location and size of the flag too.
    It is much better to have the company name there.

As to time to change to this new scheme, it will take a lot considering the huge UP's locomotive roster.
    But they mentioned they already have lot of locomotives on a rebuild plan, and those will be the ones to use this new paint scheme first.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I agree. The wings looked really nice - like a call back from the art deco days. Their disappearance is a disappointment to me. Having the railroad name on the side instead of the flag is a welcome change for me. I’d have replaced the “3D” flag with a 2D flag though. Just looks nicer to me for a livery.

7. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

At first, I saw these photos and thought the same thing I first think when any change comes around. New thing = Bad.

But you know what? It's far from bad. While I really like how the current scheme has that big ol' American flag, there's nothing wrong with the standard text logo. Apparently this change was because of how the engine was wearing down the flag decal. Makes sense I guess. It's mainly the front that I dislike, since I thought the wings were a really nice touch. They kinda made it look like the train was smiling, and I'll never unsee that. Big shield is weird, but we've seen plenty of locomotives with a smaller shield on the front, which don't look the worst.

I'm sure I'll grow to like it more.
    [​IMG]

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Ive made my statement in 2 other posts, but Ill repeat it here. Its worse that any UP scheme in the last 20 years.

Should of just stuck with the "Flagless" repaints.....
    1065.1414271859 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

This would have been nice :)