My Isle Of Wight 2022 Thoughts

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve finally bought my second Rivet route after vowing not to buy another following the crud that was the original Isle Of Wight route.

I was bored being on strike from work, so thought, given the relatively good feedback I’d seen so far, I’d give it a go at just £14.99.

Having played the 484 Introduction and a return trip in service mode, I have to say Rivet has done a really excellent job on this new DLC and have now set themselves quite a high bar for future DLC - especially if they want me to continue buying their work. As it currently stands, both Arosa and West Cornwall remain far off my radar.

What I like:
    • The sound of the 484 is very good, both inside and outside of the cab. In fact, the 484 sound levels are very impressive and make driving the train a real pleasure.
    • The 484 is, in my opinion, far more fun to drive than the 483. I love whacking the throttle lever to position 7 and getting the superb acceleration.
    • The timetable is very achievable on the two services I’ve played so far. No mad dashes needed - you can chill and enjoy the route.
    • The detail on the route is fantastic. The new water makes a massive difference on the pier too. One of the best looking routes in TSW 2. I particularly like the mud being spread on the road near Sandown as if a tractor leaving the muddy road has messed up the paved road. Little details like this just add to the realism.
    What I don’t like:
    • Lack of set up time. Whilst the timetable is still easily achievable, why such little set up time is a mystery. This has been frequent feedback from the community yet it is still ignored.
    • The dino dollies being removed instead of placed. They’re too good to never be seen again once collected. Paw prints should have been placed on the route and then you place a dino dolly on to them. Failing this, please add a stall selling the dino dollies on the pier so you can see them.
    • Beach balls and other toys being placed alongside the tracks. These should be limited to stations and other, non-train areas. Why would so many beach balls etc be near live electric rails?
    • No driving buses. It would be nice to see a bus or two in the traffic flow.
    • After completing one service, I returned to free roam and set up the train for the return journey. However, when the service started, the headlight/taillight configuration reset meaning I had to turn the headlights back on at the front and the taillights back on at the back. Fortunately you can operate the lights using the free camera to save time, but why do the lights reset?
    • Passengers behaving oddly. Either not getting on the train, falling through the floor or walking on to the rails. Get them under control for their own safety.
    • Safety systems don’t seem to work. Not sure if I have set them up correctly, but TPWS and AWS didn’t work. DSD did from time to time as required. I know AWS isn’t on the route, but a point is made of TPWS and nothing seemed to happen.
    • Mastery is not working. Hasn’t counted the two timetable services, but has counted the distance I’ve walked for Tier 1.
    Credit where credit is due Jasper_Rivet - the best Rivet/TSW 2 route by far and very reasonably priced.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ll just add to this that the lack of achievements on the route is a definite :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

TPWS works? It activates the emergency brakes when you’re approaching a speed reduction/red signal/buffer stop at higher speed. AWS works on the 484 itself if you use it an a route with AWS fitted.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I must have been driving the train safely then. I never encountered anything like that.

5. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

I retested the TPWS and it is definitely a little buggy. It only engages the emergency brakes if you are approaching a speed reduction/red signal when it feels like (I was once stopped by it just outside Ryde St. John's Road (towards Ryde Esplanade). It looks like that it engages the emergency brakes every time after a SPAD, or if you're approaching the buffer at Ryde Pier Head a little too fast

EDIT: It looks the TPWS transmitters are set up correctly on the route; the TPWS stops other trains (I tried it with a 387) when overspeeding

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Good review. Very comfortable route to drive on. The 484 is really well done, love the sounds, love the sparks, it looks great, and overall it’s a pretty immersive experience.

Been gravitating towards this route quite a bit, while mixing in a lot of RRO runs in that green DB shunter (the G6?)- that’s another one that I can’t get enough of lately, great sounds.

• Like Like x 3
  7. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The route doesn't have AWS in real life so it doesn't exist on the game, It does work on routes that have it though.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

A couple of other niggles.

There are only four trains on the route, but Island Line has 5 in real life. Three were at the depot, whilst one was running.

On the very first service in timetable mode, the train seemed to lurch suddenly from a standstill when first moving it from the depot towards the turnaround siding.

9. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I just say that one is on the mainland lol. Also I start of on notch one and then notch 2 until I reach a 40/45 section and then a maximum of notch 5

• Like Like x 1
  10. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, only 4 of the 5 units are in service. Maybe the 5th unit is in the shed and that's why Rivet only put 4 on the tracks?! I would like to know what number the missing unit is and why it is not in service (Provided that the wiki entry is still up to date).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the review, more than happy to hear that you're enjoying the route!

We'll have a look at the feedback, especially the TPWS and the passengers doing strang things. Oh and hopefully we can do something on the dino toys. ^^
    The fix for the missing routemaps has been done on our end and is now with Dovetails QA, that should go live soon.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

The OSS loops don't work so it's not fully implemented.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

Thanks for your very helpful comments!
    You've helped me decide against buying this add-on.

At the moment it looks like another nice TSW2 add-on, which is great for playing trainspotter, but not very suitable for playing train driver. It's a shame, because the producer's promotional material seemed very promising indeed.

To be fair, I'm guessing that some things simply can't be done in TSW2 - for example, that crowds of passengers shouldn't be waiting on the Smallbrook Junction platform when no train stops there until the next morning.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  14. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

In truth the island line drivers don't get a lot of time to turn around at Ryde or Shanklin

15. septafan#3534

septafan#3534 Member

My train keeps derailing at the start of Brading Rescue! Anyone else has this issue? And yes the switches are set properly.

16. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´ve got a derailing too by using the 2D map for switching. Something there doesn´t seem to match with the real switch position (or I set accidently the right path for the wrong train?!). On the second trial I walked the line and switched manually. Which worked just fine.
    This route is a gem, BTW!

• Like Like x 1
  17. septafan#3534

septafan#3534 Member

I did the same thing and it worked fine.

18. septafan#3534

septafan#3534 Member

Now are the collectibles glitched? Cause i can't find any of the tickets i think you have to find.

19. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I don't think the tickets have been added yet, for us to find.