Speculation - Next Uk Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Wivenswold, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

There will be one, I promise. But while we wait for an announcement let's have a chat and some harmless speculation on which it would be.

I'd be interested to know;
    1. Which would you most love, include era and say why you would love to see it? Inspire DTG!
    2. Now put your sensible cap on, which route do you think it will be and why, even if it's a hunch?

For me;
    1. LTS (C2C) Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness - 2002 - I love my old "home route", I love periods of transition, 312s trying to keep up with 357s. Long freight trains on the loop. Perfect.
    2. I think route merges are coming so I'm going for Croydon to Bedford Thameslink with a 700.

• Like Like x 5
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Is there a difference in speculation based on some insight or rumour vs suggestion based on fondness to heart?

Just playing devils advocate..... ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'm questioning if following the success of IoW2022 we don't see a new improved GWE fully electrified with the Heathrow branch at some point in the not to distant future.

Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Don't get me wrong I'd love a more northern route, but DTG have yet to discover north of the Watford Gap still exists post 1990 (with the exception of Cartcart of course)

• Like Like x 3
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I know loads want WCML but putting a route back in the microwave to cook I hope they don't. That said I'm the other side of the M1 so always going to be partial to ECML :D

• Like Like x 4
  5. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

We are lacking post-1990's Northern routes, but that doesn't mean we'll get one. On the other hand, I'd be overjoyed if we saw one. Personally I'd love to include my hometown station, Sheffield as a start point.

Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly (Southern Trans Pennine/Hope Valley Line)
    Sheffield - Leeds via Barnsley
    Sheffield - Derby or even push it to Leicester (though I think JT will eventually do this route)

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Welsh route coming soon, whether that's 100% Welsh or Wales into England (Bristol, Hereford or Chester etc..).

Whatever we get, I really hope it's either OHLE or diesel and not third rail.

• Like Like x 8
  6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Manchester to Crewe via Stockport and Airport.
    Birmingham Snow Hill to Cheltenham
    Severn Valley Railway Kidderminster to Bridgenorth.
    Ffestiniog Railway Caernarfon to Blaenau Ffestiniog

All the above routes can be utilised for steam as I traveled on them all in the 50s when Steam was prevalent.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  7. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

More steam is what I want. Don’t mind where, the more steam locomotives, the better! :)

Besides that, I’d like to see WCML Shap brought over from TS Classic. Same era, pack it with the APT-P and BR Class 87.

I’m fine with the next route being modern, though it would never bring me as much hype as a steam/diesel era route. If it is modern, I just hope there isn’t an Electrostar in sight! ;)

A Welsh route is also a good shout as we’ve yet to have one.

• Like Like x 3
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well I would still like to see something centred on Carlisle, any era up to around 1985.

For steam, I still think either Somerset and Dorset or Riviera Line should be next, or at least something more pastoral and less grungy that the Scouse line.

• Like Like x 9
  9. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I don't mind as long as we get new loco/unit dlc with it. I.E no more 3rd rail Electrostar derived stock. The problem is that to get full use out of a modern non southeast route they're not gonna have a collection of different types of rolling stock to use.so it's going to be a bit quiet out there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

In answer to the OP:
    1. Woodhead in the mid-1970s with blue class 76s, 40s, 31s and 25s et al. Wonderful mix of urban running into moors/fell country.
    2. Who knows but probably more of the same...

• Like Like x 2
  11. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Well I'm surprised they haven't done the Settle - Carlisle line yet. Pure speculative mind I think it could be Fife Circle, perhaps a welsh line of some sort.

I wouldn't mind seeing the WCML between London and 50 - 60 miles up the line modern era. Pendolino's and Class 350's and the other units as well what I cant remember. Also the underground 72 stock for AI services as part of the route. Freight services manned by the good ol class 66's, depots and a couple of yards and possible unit DLC such as the Royal Mail 325 for the PRDC. Plenty of scope there for scenarios timetable play.

I would love to see ECML whether its from London or somewhere in between. Set in the Swansong of the Deltics and the original HST (livery). We need a Deltic in TSW. I need to hear those engines throbbing in my headphones during a livestream..... :)

Personally I would love to see Eastleigh - Poole (well Hamworthy round the corner a bit), which is my home route. I know Matt always said you dont want to see your local line in the game as you will be saying well that's wrong, this is missing etc etc. Trust me I do Whether its set in the mid 80's towards the end of the iconic Class 33/1's + 4TC's push Pull era between Bournemouth & Weymouth. You would have the Yard, BREL Depot and stabling point at Eastleigh, Southampton Bevois Yard (Northam Depot is now on it), Soton Docks, Soton Maritime and Millbrook freightliner terminals, Fawley branch, Lymington branch, Bournemouth Depot, Poole Yard, Run Round sidings and Hamworthy Quay branch. The only downside would be basically Development of Slam Door stock for Various types Emu's beyond Bournemouth and the development of a Class 33/1 and 4 TC (unpowered) 4 coach EMU. Just for the that I cant see it happening. A shame though. Although possibly a Southwest Trains version with the Class 444 and Class 450 As that's all that runs along the line between Eastleigh - Poole. The odd 377 service from Eastleigh or Southampton. Most of the other yards are there apart from Bevois Park sidings are now Northam Train Care facilities and the name for the sidings has been transferred to the sidings opposite the depot where there is and aggregate company that get a daily services from Westbury.. The Hamworthy Branch is currently being worked on to allow freight* to recommence either later this year or early next year. But yeah I would love to see that happen. But thinking it wont happen.

*Aggregate, general freight and intermodal.

Regards
    Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  12. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

It will be short, it will be modern, but it won't be sweet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’d like to see Sheffield - Derby, with Class 180 and 222 purely because I know the route and used to travel daily between Chesterfield and Sheffield back in the day. Maybe with the Matlock branch as a bonus. The JT route on TSC (with all the extentions) is great and I would like to see it coming to TSW2.

If Rivet do it though, PLEASE get the crooked spire correct. We don’t want another Truro Cathedral debacle. A walkabout section at Chesterfield Station will also allow viewing of the George Stephenson statue.

• Like Like x 3
  14. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

For a start we really need a Class 700, to complete London Commuter.

ECML South (King's Cross to Peterborough) with the Class 387, Class 717 and Class 800/801, layers for the Class 700.

Riviera Line with a Class 150 and a Class 802. Maybe a Class 143 too.

A modern northern route such as Merseyrail's Wirral Line with the Class 507/508.

Another Scottish route such as Edinburgh to Dundee with a Class 170 and a Scotrail HST, plus layers for a Class 800.

North + West London Lines with a Class 378 and a Freightliner Class 66. This could provide layers for a later WCML South route.

These seem to be popular requests which utilise stock combinations that can be reused from existing assets, something we've come to expect from route releases. Of course completely dependent on licensing.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

yes me too with a extansion to heathrow airport and to Oxford with a new rolling stock class 800.802. class 387 in GWR livery GE airport and Heathrow livery and a add-ons for this route the class 345

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

and a class 91 with MK 4 coaches for add-ons ??

17. richypeach2000

richypeach2000 Member

I’d really like to see the Birmingham Cross City Line for TSW with the class 323. I genuinely don’t think the TSC version did it justice. It would be quite an action packed route with loads of services (a bit like Cathcart circle). The route has many points of interest like New Street Station (and it’s signal box), Bournville, Spaghetti Junction, etc. Don’t get me wrong, New Street Station may be a little dead as first but if Avanti, CrossCountry, etc came into TSW it could beef it up a little eventually. Also, the fact they have a licence for West Midlands Railway means we could see a modern UK route outside of London for once and we’d see the Midlands represented in TSW!

• Like Like x 3
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would love to see this too. It seems like a route which will eventually make it to TSW. The main problem with the TSC one are the sounds of the class 323 which are poorly implemented and in parts missing, the route itself I find to be as good as most recent TSC releases.

My prediction of the next route is something fairly up to date but probably with one MU train and a class 66 and freight. I think a modern diesel route is likely as I imagine they know from the comments on here another modern 3rd rail route won't be overly popular at the moment. Maybe the Cross City line might be possibility as they have the research material for it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Hopefully there will be some news soon. World feels pretty bleak at the moment with all that’s going on so would be nice to have something to look forward to.
    Fingers crossed for c2c, Greater Anglia or ECML

• Like Like x 1
  20. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a GWE from Cardiff to Didcot but would be very unlikely given DTG's track record. It would bring Wales into the game as well. Failing that A route involving Birmingham but then would they do Birmingham New Street station justice? Failing that York, Newcastle or East Anglia all set in the 80's or even before but I think we all know we will get another London route.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  21. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I really think DTG should just do the WCML or ECML South already. They're probably the most consistently requested British routes in this forum, and I can't imagine people being disappointed by their announcements.

Yeah it's more electric traction, but Pendolinos and 800s (maybe even 91s) are different enough from Electrostars to warrant the inclusion in my opinion. You could still have diesels on either route- Voyagers on the WCML and HSTs/ Adelantes on the ECML. If they did an ECML South route I would not object at all to the 387 being in there for Great Northern services however. Plus if a 700 DLC came out for BML they'd fit in perfectly there too.

We're also long overdue a Welsh route. I'm not fussy on which specific one, but I think the South Wales Mainline would be pretty neat, perhaps set a few years back with the 175 as the new loco and getting more use out of the HST. Maybe even Rivet's 150, providing it's fixed.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about the Calder Valley Line from Manchester Victoria to Leeds City via Halifax and Bradford Exchange station?
    Comes with Class 158 170

23. theorganist

Even better with a BRCW class 110 but I would take it with a class 158/170.

• Like Like x 1
  24. OldVern

Too close to the existing NTP route I would have thought.

• Like Like x 2
  25. theorganist

I suppose it could be used for extra layers but yes I think it wouldn't go down well as being too much like the NTP. And, I have a suspcion DTG have ticked their "have we made a first generation DMU box". The Electrostar box has multiple ticks!

• Like Like x 2
  26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I reckon Man Oxford Rd - Liverpool Lime Street, with a 156, is on the cards.

• Like Like x 1
  27. redrev1917

Not to mention the reversal at Bradford meaning services would have to be split and the potential to break the AI dispatcher too great.

28. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

North London Overground

• Like Like x 2
  29. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The old TS Woodhead with new graphics please.

• Like Like x 2
  30. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

How about the Snow Hill Lines or Birmingham Loop. Or even Chase Line.

Cross City has been done on TSC.

• Like Like x 2
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

32. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Might as well build the extra 3,600ft or so to Piccadilly rather than end it at Oxford Road.

33. redrev1917

That's a lot of extra work building Piccadilly when only 2 tracks are going to be used.

34. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Would be pointless, as RedRev said, you’d only have 2 platforms in use, the rest would be another Leipzig, a huge empty station that doesn’t look great.

Half of the Northern Services terminate at Oxford Road anyway, then the ones that carry on to Manchester Airport will add some through traffic to keep it realistic.

IMO it’s the best way to do a modern Manchester based route that still keeps the terminus relatively populated.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Tim RTC

Tim RTC New Member

For me, Leeds to Carlisle makes sense. They have a fully rendered Leeds station already, the S&C is World Famous and lots of potential rolling stock. Plus is hasn't changed much in 100 years so easy to add multiple eras.

Personally I'd love it in the 90s - Pacers, Sprinters and Class 60s on freight.

• Like Like x 1
  36. OldVern

NVM

37. redrev1917

Leeds station has changed considerably since the era NTP was set, unless we was setting S&C in the same era you might as well start from scratch.

38. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Leeds to Carlisle is 113 miles with a journey time of about 2 hours 30 minutes. Personally I don't see the appeal of the S&C, it's quite scenic but you've only got a service once every two hours with a handful of additional freight. There are plenty of other lines with equally good scenery that have more modest route lengths and busier timetables. The nearby Tyne Valley Line would be a good alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  39. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

St Pancras wasn’t fully used in SEHS. People always bang on about “natural places” a drivers service would end, yet here we are.

40. redrev1917

More Liverpool services terminate at Oxford Road then at Piccadilly, so you are defeating your own arguement. If we are talking about natural places Liverpool services should end then Man Airport would have a stronger case then Piccadilly as the only services terminating at Picc IIRC would be the Llandudno services joining at Earlstown

41. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

We’re talking about DTG being true to real life timetables now, so let’s leave this here as they do what suits them, not realism..

• Like Like x 1
  42. redrev1917

You are completely confusing me now, you want services to run to Picc but then complain that DTG don't follow realism?

43. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

We might as well stop talking about what's realistic given DTG do what they like when it comes to their in-game timetables, compared to IRL.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  44. redrev1917

Its called compromises which you are always going to get in sims. especially as DTG seem incapable of creating an AI dispatcher. Although in fairness to them it taken US rail roads almost a decade to create a RL AI dispatcher and they still arent there yet.

• Like Like x 1
  45. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Forget that, give us Liverpool to Manchester 1830!

• Like Like x 3
  46. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

It’s probably worth saying that in real life, if a train is passing through Manchester (Piccadilly - Oxford Rd - Deansgate or vice versa) and there is to be a crew change in Manchester, that crew change takes place at Oxford Rd, not Piccadilly P13/14. The reason is that, if a train is delayed due to a member of traincrew not being there to take over the train, it is better if it happens at Oxford Rd because it’s possible to work other trains around it there. If a train is delayed at Piccadilly P13/14, everything else just has to stand behind it - there’s no way around.

So although the traincrew depots for both Northern and Transpennine are at Piccadilly, the diagrams show the traincrew travelling passenger from Piccadilly to Oxford Rd to relieve the previous crew - not relieving at Piccadilly.

Whether that’s always what the crew do in reality, I couldn’t possibly say…. ;)

Edit: it’s probably also worth pointing out that Manchester - Liverpool is a pretty dull section of railway - mostly flat and straight. There are much better options.

• Helpful Helpful x 3