Laptop Buying Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr heff, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Hi, i might be getting a PC. I'm trying not to get too excited because it isn't confirmed yet. I don't know alot about computers but i have decided to go for a laptop considering the space i have available and the required versatility as my 'everything' laptop. In lieu of those points, i have some criteria that would be a best case scenario for me. I'm hoping somebody might be able to say if they're achievable or not for a laptop.
    Preferable features:

• Able to run most simulators at 60FPS or slightly less (including Microsoft flight simulator but that is the most intense game I'll push it to run)

• High resolution display, above HD is preferable although i do have a 4K TV for my PS5.

• Large display, I'm hoping not to have to squint.

I understand that this might be asking too much of a laptop, but my budget is flexible considering this will last me for around 6-7 years hopefully. I would be very grateful if someone could say whether these criteria can be met on a laptop. Thanks :)

UPDATE:

I have just ordered the HP Omen 17 with an Intel i7, 32GB RAM and an RTX 3080. What I'm hoping to do is get a monitor as well and hook the two up so that essentially i have a desktop PC and a laptop. It should be powerful enough (fingers crossed). Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  2. There's plenty of laptops available that will easily run tsw. To be able to play at 4k though is another matter. You will find them but far from cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr heff

That's great to hear. I guess if it can run TSW, it can run TSC? I'm fine without 4K, QHD seems to be the standard. Thanks for the info :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  4. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

few months ago i bought the latest Lenovo Legion i5 pro gaming laptop. they are still selling for about £1700 (and the AMD processor ones released a few weeks ago)
    i'm hoping it will last me 5 or 6 years before i think of replacing it.

I have:
    12th gen processor (i went for the i7-12700H)
    16 gig of DDR5 memory (4800Mhz)
    RTX3070Ti GFX card (8 gig GDDR6)
    1TB M.2 SSD (some gen 4 PCIe thing)
    16 inch 2K (2560 x 1600) laptop screen with 165Hz refresh and G-sync.
    Thunderbolt 4, USB 4, displayport 1.4, wi-fi 6E and bluetooth 5.1. basically all the latest stuff.... and there aren't really any USB4 products to plug into it yet... so hopefully it's future proof, it has a full size HDMI port to connect to a TV... the USB C connectors are displayport ones too (and it does have USB A ports too)

every slider in TSW2 is set as high as it'll go..... aaaannndddd .... i still get stutters and micro pauses at times :(
    This is caused when scenery objects get 'destroyed / removed from the game' and it apparently affects pretty much any system running this game.

Everything else i've tried on this laptop runs smooth as silk, just TSW2 is not optimized very well at all... i can play about with engine.ini settings and get one DLC running nicely with very minimal stutters, but then the next one will run like a slide show.

my last laptop had a 4k screen, but i prefer the 2K one i have now as my eyes are beginning to go but i hate using my glasses, with the 4k screen text can be too small, and looks crap when resized to 150% or more just to be able to read things in the menus.

i use my laptop a lot for designing things to 3D print or laser cut using fusion 360, and deffo find that's much nicer on the 2K laptop display than the 4K one... again due to scaling of menu items etc,

Just remember if you've never had a gaming laptop before, they will run hot when playing games, my laptop can run the GFX card at upto 150 watts, that's a fair bit of heat to get out of the case, but i find that setting the screen refresh to 60Hz, the GFX card will run at about 100 watts, and the fans are running a lot slower as a lot less heat is generated...
    but i still need to turn the volume up to 75 to hear all the sounds in the game... or use headphones.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr heff

Great! This fills me with confidence as I won't be touching TSW on this computer, only TSC and flight sim. Thanks for the info! :)