Dxvk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reef, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

No I didn't sneeze whilst trying to type the title.

Anyone using the DX to Vulkan thingamebobbityjig?

I tried it but I have an issue I can't seem to find an answer to, when I use it my mouse cursor doesn't appear in game, tried running in windowed and borderless as well as my preferred fullscreen (needed for my x2 DSR to work)

If anyone knows how to overcome that then I'd like to give it another go to see what if any improvements I get from it.

Related: The Dev of RWEnhancer2 has said that he'll be integrating (switchable of course) DXVK into RWE2 at some point too so that's something I'll be looking out for, anyway in the meantime if I could get it working now it'd be great to try.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I thought that was for Linux?

3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It's for Linux WINE. So it's a Windows DLL.

I haven't tested it yet, here's what cActUsjUiCe (dev) posted on that subject:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsc-it’s-train-time-on-long-island.56544/#post-508204

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2022
  4. Pookeyhead

Ahhh.... I shall give it a go. Even if it only gains me 5 fps, I'll take it :) My PC is a bit of a potato.

5. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

To make it work properly, you need to copy two dll files over: the dxd9 one and dxgi(?).
    I'm not at my pc so cannot check at the moment.

It gained me about 5 FPS on the metropolitan line in aldgate.

6. Pookeyhead

5fps would actually be very helpful on some routes for me, so I'm glad I found this thread. Do those .dll files just go into the railworks folder?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  7. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Yes. Both .dll files.

8. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Glad you guys found it useful =)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pookeyhead

Ok... I'm gonna try it now. I'll run some benchmarks and do a before and after comparison and report back.

10. Pookeyhead

I just tried my worst performing route, which is Woodhead BR Blue, and there appears to be a 1 fps improvement, so I'm not sure if that is conclusive or not. I'm not even sure it's working if I'm honest. Is there any way of checking?

11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Pretty sure that's because the main load is on the CPU. Woodhead in Freeroam performs well on my system, it's the AI stock that slows it down.
    GPU Rendering is not the problem, so Vulkan won't help here. It's as bored as your GPU is when playing TS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pookeyhead

Good point, yes. I'm pretty much CPU bound most of the time actually. Although it's a 6 core processor, it's an old one, and as TS is pretty much single threaded I'm always hitting the limit of what my CPU can do. There's certainly no negative aspects to using this though, and everything appears to work normally, with one exception - the volume control overlay appears to not work, but not really bothered about that.

13. Pookeyhead

I just checked and I can confirm that when playing Woodhead, my GPU is loafing along at around 60 to 70%, but one CPU core is being hammered at 100%. When I play something that runs really well like Trent Valley, my GPU is at 100%. I'll do another comparison again using Trent Valley.

14. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

MSI Afterburner with rivatuner statistics server running. Create an FPS overlay and it'll show the renderer thats used. Idk of another way to tell if Vulkan is being used

15. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Well I would find it useful if I had my mouse curser..

I also tried renaming the d3d9.dll to d3dx9_26.dll and it worked as in I had my mouse cursor back but did not improve the FPS at all on the JT Met Line in fact it was peaking at 27 (25 to 27 constant from Chesham to HotH) with the renamed .dll but rather humorously it was peaking at 28 with the DTG .dll so idk.

Guess no one else is having (and solved) this issue so I'll just have to wait for the RWE2 implementation of it.

16. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

I'm home and checked my note to myself:
    "You want files 'dxgi.dll' and 'd3d9.dll' from the x64 folder [in the dxvk tar file].". Copy them both to the railworks root directory.

17. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah did that from the start, no joy.

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A friend who told me about it gave me these instructions
    He did not mention the dxgi.dll file?

"pop d3d9.dll into your main game folder. Back up your existing d3dx9_26.dll so you can put it back if necessary."
    Maybe if the game still sees the d3dx9_26.dll file it ignores the d3dx9.dll?

It seems to help the running of TSC on my computer.

19. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Are you playing the 64 bit version of the game? The DLLs in the 64 bit folder are only compatible with the 64 bit version of the game

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah tried removing, tried renaming the DXVK to the DTG one, tried with and without dxgi.dll (some say you need it some say you don't so I tried both), still lose my mouse cursor.
    Lol, yeah, it'd be difficult not to tbh as I have the 64bit version (with added start-up parameters) pinned to my taskbar, only time I open 32bit is if I get a few "ooms" in the editor then I open 32bit directly from the RailWorks folder (I have no shortcut to it even) and never start my games (any games) through the Steam launcher. I really wish it'd been that simple a fix.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with my screen resolution 2560x1080 because TS doesn't even support it in windowed (the max res in TS settings for Windowed is 2048x1280) I can edit this in the PlayerProfiles.bin and even if I did get it to work I'd have to sacrifice my Nvidia DSR x2 settings as that's fullscreen only and TS on a SuperWide at 1080p native looks.... well pants.

I'm just going to have to hope that the dev can get DXVK working with TS in FullScreen I think.

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I renamed d3dx9_26.dll to d3dx9_26.dll.old and just dropped the d3d9.dll in to the Railworks folder
    I did not rename the d3d9.dll file

Screenshot (209).png

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022