Recent Passenger Behaviour

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CrAzZyKiLLa, Jul 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Wanted to start a discussion on what I have witnessed as a recent increase in odd passenger behaviour. I'm sure its a well known issue that the plassenger system has had alot of problems and requires a rework or alot of improvements over what we have already seen (lets hope TSW3 has some passengers improvements). However, I have to say this appears to be getting worst recently and wondering what is going on with the core tech at the moment.

Some issues witnessed have included:
    • Passengers falling through platforms, not minding the gap or through stairs
    • Passengers on the track
    • Passengers not entering first carriages or not boarding the trains at all
    • Passenger pathing errors on stations and huddled in large groups.
    • Have seen a return of some flying passengers. Although, this was improved with previous deletion fix
    What other odds behaviours have others seen? And what would you like to see fixed or improved in the future?

Or does someone at DTG have any comments about these issues currently? Are behaviours being investigated or worked on? or can we have some acknowledgement that worstening behaviours have been noted for hopeful future consideration.

• Like Like x 18
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Passengers waiting on a platform that won’t see a departure for hours

• Like Like x 10
  3. All of the above.

One thing that bothers me a lot is the way you are pushed aside by passengers, and the same with external camera.

• Like Like x 11
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Passengers get off the train when you open the doors at the start of a service. Hundreds of them. No passengers get off at the final stop of your service as there aren’t any left on the train.

• Like Like x 19
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There's an odd passenger spawn on IoW22 in one of the car parks. They spawn in a meter or so above the ground then either despawn or wall into the wall in front of them then despawn

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Basically all of the above, my biggest pet peeves have to be; stations that have that loud ambient noise asif they were a mainline terminus, despite being a rural platform.

Stations full of passengers that don’t get ont your empty train even though the next service won’t be for another 30-60 minutes, OR, the next train is the same route as yours.

Those vacuum stations that seem to pull all passengers off your train, thus leaving you to run what is essentially an ECS move (looking at you Gatwick airport).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m more concerned about them waiting in trains at depots, walking onto platforms asi close doors to leave and just wait staring at open doors

• Like Like x 4
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I was at GCT on a service leaving at evening rush hour (about 5:30pm). Platform deserted, train deserted when in reality I'm fairly sure it would be packed out surely?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Another fun passenger behavior is when a bunch of them leave the train and stop right in front of the doors. So you have big clumps of passengers blocking access to the train.

• Like Like x 9
  10. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Or my personal favorite one where when you park a passenger train for the night in any yard it still mostly full of passengers.I guess they afraid of missing there train in the morning.

• Like Like x 14
  11. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

What bothers me the most is that passengers don’t arrive onto the platforms soon enough. They’re just getting to the entrance once I fully pull into a station. I also want to see more passenger models

• Like Like x 4
  12. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

I really hate the hair on all the passengers
    it looks like everyone is wearing some kind of ugly wig

• Like Like x 4
  13. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Is there any way to turn off rush hour passengers?

• Like Like x 3
  14. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

I would also add that passengers do not board a train that has been standing at the departure station for 10 minutes until the last minute. They all move to the door only 30 seconds before departure. In addition, they wait at the opposite end of the platform, 200 metres from the nearest door, so if I don't want to close the door in front of anyone I'm leaving Seaford three minutes late.

Also the way passengers appear at stations completely fails. A long procession of people only starts to enter the platform when the train is already there. The bigger the station, the later the passengers appear, so it is exactly the opposite of what it should be - big stations are empty and tiny rural stations are crowded with people. And this procession doesn't stop until the platform is completely full. As a result, more passengers are waiting on the platform after the train has departed than when it entered the station. Everything is the opposite of what it should be!

The whole implementation of passengers in TSW2 is really hopeless and spoils a lot of the fun. Especially since DTG still refuses to implement train guard and a player trying to play in "driver only operation" mode is forced to watch idiotic and unrealistic AI passenger behaviour.

Yet even a decade ago it was possible to program AI passengers very realistically! Each passenger was assigned to where he/she wanted to go and reacted correctly to the destination indicator on the bus. They were even able to pick up the bus of another line, if the bus stopped at the stop the passenger wanted to go to! Passengers arrived at the bus stop at a reasonable time before the scheduled departure of their bus. And they were all able to get off at the end stops. The bus stops themselves had an assigned traffic volume, which further depended on the day of the week and time of day. All this was technically possible 10 years ago and worth implementing in a game with an identical price tag to TSW2 (taking inflation into account). Sorry to repeat myself, but something has gone terribly wrong in the gaming industry :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  15. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

What makes it so much more funny is that rush hour passengers were supposed to fix all this.

• Like Like x 4
  16. tircsi.peter

tircsi.peter New Member

DTG just does not care about realistic behavior of passengers which should be the most important aspect of this game after the realistic train mechanism. It gives you the immersion that what you are doing makes also sense, not just controlling a train mindlessly. As a person who is 20+ years in the software development focusing always on quality instead of quantity, I don't know why they are so lousy. Years have past since the release of TSW1 and we still cannot get passengers who behave correctly or even run to a train. How uninterested should somebody be to provide such software experience.

• Like Like x 11
  17. chieflongshin

Half of them arrive as you leave, don’t walk to train doors but look through the windows and lord knows who signs off the facial, hair and costume designs. The random character generation spoils some of the diversity with the complexion and hair combination and what the devil is going on with those hair cuts, I do not know. Have some of the artists been locked away that long they don’t know what people look like anymore?

• Like Like x 8
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Frontal lobotomy clinic post-treatment party simulator just called, they want their people back.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

On many routes, passengers are not appropriately dressed for the weather. I haven't been there for awhile, but this is particularly noticeable on Boston, where it always seems to be winter and all those software engineers who get on and off at Rt 128 are dressed for a Florida vacation.

And, on some routes, there are lots of passengers who seem to completely ignore the arrival of trains, which are often empty after arriving at or leaving from Victoria or Gatwick, for instance.

Then there are the phantom crowds at, say, Rochester, which sounds like Wembley stadium on game day, but has maybe a half dozen people in the staion.

And there are still far too many twins, triplets and quadruplets.

• Like Like x 4
  20. chieflongshin

i seem to recall many people mentioning no umbrellas etc when boston was released and I think it was mentioned that wanted to. Want and do though.....are significant in difference

• Like Like x 1
  21. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I really do not like passengers on the track.

ezgif.com-gif-maker(7).gif

• Like Like x 4
  22. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

This happened to me while I was in motion. Then I turned to the right and the passenger was in my cab with me for about 3 seconds before they got deleted!

23. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

It's even worse when they jump you in a blind staircase and demand your cash and your credit cards.

Derp2.png

• Like Like x 15
  24. Asyedan

Asyedan Member

Or even worse - passengers waiting on a platform that will never have a train stop there.

A couple of weeks ago i was trying to do a Victoria-Brighton trip as a passenger while stopping in as many stations as possible. One of the steps involved waiting ~20 min at Purley for the Reigate train to continue going south. While i was waiting, i saw a bunch of passengers waiting in the fast track platforms, despite no train ever stopping there. Why do passengers go there? To enjoy the station's scenery?

I can understand putting passengers in the stations with no services like Earlswood/Salfords, because there is supposed to be a train that serves these stations, it is just not in the game. So it kinds of makes sense for the sake of realism. But the fast track platforms are absurd, no train ever stops at these platforms.

• Like Like x 4
  25. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

What's funny about this is that matt said they fixed that issue when rush hour came out. Clearly that wasn't the case

• Like Like x 4
  26. tallboy7648

Honestly, I don't think DTG care about improving passengers. OMSI 2 has a better passenger system than tsw2 and that game is almost a decade old.

Who is in charge of making the passengers and implementing this system. They must be very lousy or don't know how to improve the system.

I wouldn't be surprised if a modder found a way to improve the system themselves. Modders seem to do the work DTG should be doing these days

• Like Like x 4
  27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Here's my problem whenever you do a journey mode depot move you still have passengers on your train if your train is a preserved collection version. On the other hand if it's the newer TSW2 version you don't find passengers on your ECS Trips

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Matt has spoken a few times about the issue of passengers popping into view but has acknowledged that passengers now "may come in from too far away" because the spawn point is beyond the gateline...
    I guess there would be an issue with people being on the platform before a train comes into view, which may be triggered by AI coming the other way when a player is in platform

• Like Like x 1
  29. chieflongshin

Interesting exit method
    upload_2022-8-1_11-41-41.png

• Like Like x 5
  30. chieflongshin

We all look alike

upload_2022-8-1_11-42-52.png

• Like Like x 3
  31. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

You should know by now buddy. DTG are not about realism. They are about political correctness and revisionist history.

• Like Like x 6
  32. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Just get this Jeff Bezos lookalike killed.

• Like Like x 1
  33. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

At least we know why some passengers get launched into space now. It’s been Bezos all along.

• Like Like x 6
  35. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Not only do we have twins, triplets and quads, but now we have a set of octuplets!!!

• Like Like x 3
  36. tallboy7648

I guess DB added invisible floating platforms

37. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

These days most of these platforms would have access blocked from the footbridge or subway and on the island platform by fencing down the middle, as a suicide prevention measure. In the event a train did need to serve the fast line platforms, access would be strictly controlled by station staff.

• Like Like x 2
  38. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

That is because he is in the "Matrix" ;)

Using your picture, there is an issue I noticed too.
    It is supposed people can not pass the line - usually white - close to the platform border.
    But in the game this happens.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  39. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

There's definitely a change been made to core passenger behaviour, just seen this on FB. Ok so BKL isn't a route I driven loads of but I'd estimate Ive still driven the route for 50hours and never seen this before. Question is what's changed and why? Screenshot_20220801-200105.png

• Like Like x 7
  40. tallboy7648

I'm surprised they haven't been electrocuted

• Like Like x 2
  41. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Looks like this suicide cult has taken a belt and braces approach; if the electrified rails don’t get ‘em, the 13.05 to Queen’s Park definitely will.

• Like Like x 6
  42. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Game of skittles anyone?

43. tallboy7648

If there is gonna be a tsw3, DTG need to once and for all improve the passenger system. It's ridiculous that these issues are happening. This game has been out for 5 years and all DTG can do is increase the number of people, make them wear some different clothes and slightly improve the walking animation when they go up and down stairs?

Unbelievable

• Like Like x 4
  44. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

The depot one gets me every time. Doing a startup on a german route, 5am in the morning, and my flashlight introduces me to a dostos full of people. TSW became a horror game right there.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

Every drivers nightmare.:( ezgif.com-gif-maker(8).gif

• Like Like x 6
  46. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You mean, quantum passengers who pass effortlessly through the front of the train and then through your body? Nightmarish indeed!

• Like Like x 3
  47. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

so... no emergency brake application... just keep on filming, makes a better tik tok video that way :D

• Like Like x 2
  48. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

Good point lol. It's never happened before but my NVIDIA Shadowplay reflex is well primed.

• Like Like x 2
  49. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing many more reasons for avoiding passenger train activities -- not that I really needed them.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

The trouble with tribbles

Tribbles.png

• Like Like x 10