Armstrong Powerhouse Wip Dlc News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Apr 6, 2022.

1. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yes, a hefty additional outlay for getting realism! Us early adopters are fortunate indeed.
    But I'll hazard a guess and say that £250 wouldn't get you very far if your hobby was golf or scuba diving.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Maybe I misunderstood, sorry, you are correct in your observation regarding tape being on the tap charger in the 87 locos, they are all a light-ish grey, EXCEPT, the IC swallow model which has red tape, it looks quite smart, actually. I didn't check every version as there are over 20 liveries with 3 types of weathering for each version plus a dead loco for each weathered version, so, an awful lot of space taken up in the folder, which is under AP, I thought it might be under Waggonz, but, there you go. I think there are 2 different horns, both a bit squeaky, but, the liveries are very smart and it fills a void on our WCML routes from London Euston up to Liverpool and then right up into Scotland, so, lots of areas to play on.

This is the cab interior.

Cheerz. Steve.

RailWorks 2022-07-31 20-32-28-70.jpg

RailWorks 2022-07-31 20-34-58-29.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  3. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

Those aren't my hobbies, so not really a valid comparison.

If you want to pay that for your hobby, that's fine, but not every body can, or wants to pay £250 to use all the scenarios. I think AP could and should have included more wallet friendly scenarios.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. martschuffing

It's out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Guess who's still using internet explorer :D:D

6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I think that the whole scenario creation thing is very elitist! I've spent a fair few hundred now on TSC & I'm still not close to being able to run the majority of scenarios! I can run some with errors or omissions but I don't think there is one I can run fully! I hate to think what additional cost I would incur to be able to run the latest 87 AP scenarios fully! I might add it up for a laugh!

• Like Like x 1
  7. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I`ve just worked out I need an additional £370 over what I already have to run the scenarios correctly. My wife would kill me when she found out the reason our kids have not seen any food for 2 - 3 weeks! :o

• Like Like x 2
  8. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Same here, so my wallet stays shut.

9. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

For me the list of requirements is unbelievable since I don't own that much AP stuff. Here is the price for all the requirements for me (excluding things I already own). It is an unbelievable 1249.21 Australian Dollars!!! :o That is an absolutely crazy amount of money!!! I love Armstrong Powerhouse products for the few DLC that I do own but this is unbelievable, it should not be this much.
    For those curious, here is what I do own from the Requirements List:
    Armstrong Powerhouse Class 90/Mk3 DVT Pack
    Armstrong Powerhouse Class 313 Electric Multiple Unit Pack
    Dovetail Games European Loco Asset Pack
    Dovetail Games EWS Class 66 v2.0
    Armstrong Powerhouse Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack

• Like Like x 3
  10. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Promotional video for anyone who has not seen it yet. It does look and sound fantastic!!! you can tell they have put ALOT of work into the 87 itself and has been a much needed train for the WCML routes. Be nice to have something of this era to drive rather than pendolinos all the time :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

It really is quite scary how quickly it can all add up.

I guess there is trying to find that fine balance of pleasing everyone but it seems to go the oposite way sadly. Imagine if you are a new user to the hobby and when you sit and add the costs up your going to be put off.
    Perhaps it would be an option to add a "new user friendly" type of scenario and the current versions to please a larger audiance. At the end of the day it is the new people coming into the hobby that are helping it grow to trying to cater for them as well would benefit the community greatly.

Yes i get AP are a buisness and need to make money that is understandable. But new users are potential customers in the long run so keeping them happy would benefit the long run.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

AP DLC's are brilliant & I do own a fair chunk of stuff by them, they do have great customer support to should things not work quite right. It would be nice to see some scenarios with DLC you are likely to own not some obscure bogie pack that I only found out existed yesterday when checking out the requirements :D I do find it strange that a requirement they have included is the now discontinued/superseded 390, why not just use the later 390? (Clearly I'm missing some realism aspect this brings).

I love their 86 & I'll be getting the 87 at some point I'm sure.

13. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Blazin - that's a crazy amount :o

14. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Correct me if i am wrong but one of the routes the scenarios are for is the WCMLS did that not come with a 390 so i wonder why they did not use that one ??

15. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

This is it isn't it, why need an expansion pack for passing/parked up AI?

16. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

The DTG 390 is sold separately but it is quite an old DLC and comes with fictional liveries. (LNER, LMS and Intercity) and it is quite old now and the newer, now discontinued, Virgin Class 390, comes in the modern Virgin Trains Class 390 livery and is much more modern looking and sounds better so this might be why they used the discontinued one.

This is the current Class 390 on the store: https://store.steampowered.com/app/208343/Train_Simulator_Class_390_EMU_AddOn/
    This is the discontinued one that AP wants you to use: https://steamdb.info/app/704283/

17. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

But did the WCMLS route not come with a class 390 as part of the route ??

If so it’s strange that s route the included scenarios use has a 399 that they didn’t use and used a separate one.

18. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Makes me glad I have little interest in UK modern traction later than the blue diesel era and none in the electrics.

19. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

I always see the included AP scenarios as a bonus. After buying AP products for years I have some scenarios I can use out of the box, for the other ones I use TS-Tools or just don't use them at all.
    At least AP does include some scenarios at all, compared to a famous German 3rd party which does not only not include any scenarios, but also charge for every livery without any discount (yes, I'm looking at you, vR - although the latest 111 and 218 are a famous exception). Interesting that no-one complains constantly about vR for not making their AddOns playable out of the box (except for QD).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about WCML North and I completely forgot about WCML South. But my guess is that AP did not want to use a 390 in Avanti West Coast livery and wanted to use the Virgin Trains version.

21. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Have been eagerly awaiting the release of the 87, just as much for the scenarios as much as anything else, but have to agree the list and cost of requirements is quite staggering.
    So glad I made the decision at Christmas (while isolating with covid) to sit down and set up Quick Drive with RWE2 for all the routes on the WCML. It has certainly saved me a small fortune with the scenario requirements for the class 87!

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is only £249 worth of requirements assuming you have not purchased anything apart from the base game.
    I don't see many people buying an AC Electric without buying an Electric Route.

And the requirements only apply if you wish to play the included scenarios
    If you don't then there is No extra cost.

• Like Like x 2
  23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Your worries were unjustified
    Cross Arm Pantographs and names are in the pack

24. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

you are correct if I don’t own anything else you can double that price

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How do you work that out?
    You have already told us the price to run the scenarios but now it is double that?

27. hayward.john48

I remember seeing E3059 (an AL3, I think) + 71000 (the Duke) + GT3 + a couple of Mk2 coaches behind an EE type 4 (class 40 to you chaps) at Tamworth Low Level down platform waiting for the road. This was well before the wires were South of Crewe I think it was 1961 and the entourage of dragged was en route from an exhibition in London area (Wembley?) back to Crewe. No electric route there but no AL3 in the game either. Just an aside.

28. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

Its a shame AP don't do what Just Trains do that is have 2 sets of the same scenarios, one that requires all the dlc and other that runs on base TS classic content that way people without the full amount can access the scenarios, while I do have all the dlc required for the 87 scenarios that content took years to build up

• Like Like x 3
  29. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

well let’s settle this once and for all shall we I have just sat and added up all the requirements and it costs this to get the full use out of the pack with scenarios included.

total costs:

AP requirements: total cost £343.73
    DTG Requirements: total cost £63.95
    Just trains requirements: total cost: £51.65

total cost of requirements needed to use included scenarios: £459.33

so total cost.

requirements £459.33
    Class 87 unit £24.99

total cost £484.32

so wasn’t far off my guess was it.

Is it worth that. To most people in the community absolutely as we all in the hobby for the same reason for our passion of the railways and our hobby. But to new people that could be a big turn off. Like I said previously we all want realism but sadly that comes at a cost as can be seen above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

People who are new to trainsim and want to experience AP products are not obligated to run AP scenarios. Learn how to use TSTools and now you have hundreds of scenarios from DTG and the Workshop that you can use to run your AP product. The AI might not be as good or realistic but that's the price you pay.

• Like Like x 2
  31. SJA

SJA Active Member

Realism does come at a cost, yes, but we could stick another zero on that for a tangible model railway, plus the gigantic mortgage and CEO job for the property you'd need to build it in :)

Unfortunately TSC is a bit like that. The more you have, the more you get access to - the less you have, the more you miss out on. Same with freeware routes and their requirements. Many of them will be inaccessible to newbies, but with a bit of thrift you can pick up the odd route here and the odd bit of stock there and in time you end up with a decent collection sufficient to enable many scenarios, freeware routes, etc.

FWIW I do agree with the point 749006 often makes about making the most of Locoswap for swapping stock that will only be passing you for a few seconds, or sat in some siding or another. I will be doing that myself when I pick up the 87 tonight and have a look over the scenarios. Although I am at an advantage in that I have 80% of what is on the requirements list.

• Like Like x 5
  32. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

what one do you prefer RWTools or loco swap

33. SJA

SJA Active Member

Personally I prefer TS-Tools for examining assets and whatnots (don't let anyone fool you - it's a terrific piece of kit) but Locoswap for straightforward swapping of stock. Wise to have both IMO :)

• Like Like x 1
  34. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Thanks will take a look at loco swap sounds rather interesting. Thank you very much.

35. hayward.john48

Both are freeware.

36. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I am aware of that but as the member has used both I was interested to hear the opinion.

37. martschuffing

Is this an in-joke or something? Actually, I use Chrome.

38. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I agree it is good to have both, but personally I prefer Locoswap for basic scenario Loco/ Rolling stock swapouts.
    I find it much quicker and easier than TSTools but then TSTools has much more functionality with all the other assets.

• Like Like x 1
  39. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Guessing was an attempt at humour because you posted it is out a bit of time after it was released.

40. martschuffing

Well since no one had mentioned in this thread that it was I took an opportunity just in case some weren't as well informed.

• Like Like x 1
  41. hayward.john48

Sorry,
    I’ll try be less helpful in future.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

No harm in being helpful it’s just always good to hear others opinions. Have you used both.

43. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I didn't know JT did this, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  44. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I think it is a new thing they have done which is pretty good to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  45. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Agreed. Even the Weather EP comes with a demo scenario for MML using almost only AP stock. I only buy stock I can use on a great number of routes, the 37 was a no brainer. But I do not need every DMU/EMU out there from AP.

• Like Like x 1
  46. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Another great video showing the 87 from Tom here well worth a watch

47. martschuffing

The model needs some work to sort out the "gaps". Tom did a very fair review.

48. SJA

SJA Active Member

The video unfortunately isn't playing on my phone, but I did notice earlier on my own copy that the wiper doesn't work on the secondman's side.

I'm sure that feedback has been sent into AP already for remedying as this is a hotly anticipated locomotive and there's simply no way nobody has not noticed. They are pretty hot on detail fixes like that.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Have you used the correct switch?

Image3.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. SJA

SJA Active Member

My bad. I thought I had read all of the manual, but clearly I didn't.

Thanks for highlighting :)

• Like Like x 1