Quick Drive Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wcwood92, Aug 1, 2022.

1. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

New to TS Classic. Big into TSW2.
    I got a question.
    Do quick drive runs have AI traffic?

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It depends on the route, there are some that does and some that doesn't. You can create your own quick drives too and put AI on it

3. wcwood92

Nacho thanks for the reply.
    And for quick drive, is it just one point to one point? Or can I add stops?

4. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

In quick drive it is just one point to one point, if you want to add stops you must buy RW Enhancer 2 because you can make stops with that or create your own scenario with stops with the route builder but that can be a bit of a hassle.

5. wcwood92

Blazin I actually do have RW Enhancer 2 so I'll check that out.
    Bought TS Classic when it was on a deep sale and I'm just now diving into it
    Thanks for the reply!

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You can stop at any station in Quick Drive, it's just not mandatory.

7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yep, the only thing you cant do is go off route (like taking a diversionary route or stopping in sidings) other than what the despatcher has laid out .

As for Blazin's point about RWE2 the additional overlay HUD provided by RWE2 adds the extra stops (that you tick in the initial setup of the run) and ticks them off as part of it's own standalone itinerary, it doesn't alter anything with the core game, that still thinks you're doing as Torf said.

8. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Here is my notes on what current routes have AI in Quick Drive. All Steam brought unless otherwise stated.

WCML Quick Drive AI

WCML South YES
    WCML Trent Valley YES
    (AT) WCML Merge (Birm - Preston) NO
    WCML Over Shap YES
    WCML North YES

ECML Quick Drive AI
    ECML London – Peterborough YES
    ECML Peterborough - York NO
    ECML Newcastle – York (not electrified) YES
    ECML Edin – Newcastle YES
    ECML (AT) Merge (KX – Edi NO

GWR Quick Drive AI
    (JT) Western Mainlines Complete Collection NO
    Great Western Mainline (Padd-Oxford) NO
    Bristol - Exeter NO
    Riviera Line (Exeter – Torquay) NO
    South Wales Line (Bristol – Swansea) NO

Midland Mainline Quick Drive AI
    Midland Mainline (St Pancras-Bed) NO
    (JT) Midland Mainline (Leic-Lin-Not-Der- Shef) YES

OTHER Quick Drive AI
    Chatham Main Line YES
    Fife Circle Line NO
    GEML Liverpool Street - Ipswich LIMITED
    Liverpool – Manchester (1980s) YES
    London Victoria – Brighton NO
    North Wales Coastal (Crewe – Llandudno) YES
    Settle – Carlisle NO
    South Western ML (Soton-Bournemouth) YES

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. wcwood92

westcastlerail thanks for that list!
    The Chatham Mainline you mentioned, is that the newest one with Blackfriars?

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Of course, as your path is dispatched already. For exploring a route there's Freeroam.

11. westcastlerail

The Chatham Mainline version I own is the first released one, so, unfortunately no, my version does not include Blackfriars.
    It is not a route I am particularly well aware of in the real world, so guess I must of brought it in a sale for requirements for something else.
    So having never driven the route in Quick Drive before until this evening, I must say I really enjoyed the run.
    Loads of AI along the route, especially the first part when winding out of London.
    Think the Chatham route is the nearest one that passes DTG office front door though!

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'm not sure but I guess all post-2014 released routes come with QD AI. Correct me if I'm wrong. Might be 2015 then.:)

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

A shame DTG never added station calls as part of the QD setup process. I'm sure it was promised at one point.

14. westcastlerail

I think its mentioned further up the thread - but just to confirm it is possible to add station stops in Quick Drive using RWE2.
    You can also use real time weather and timings, using RWE2 so every QD will always be different.

I enjoy using QD to replicate real world services, and try to drive in TSC as near to a real time service, progress which can be followed on real time trains website.

It makes a change from having to drive sometimes to a near impossible schedule, or score points in timetable or standard scenarios, that once created / driven will be the same every time you drive it.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not quite sure I understand the question?

With a Quick Drive you can call at any platform that your train goes thru.

The Quick drive is designed for any type of train - Passenger or Freight
    Some third party QD are done with the categories split so you can run with different routings.

16. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Some people (myself included), want to just choose a time of year, time of day, weather, etc with a few clicks and be dropped into an actual service with AI trains for atmosphere and the UI itself having a required schedule of stops. Quick Drive in TSC lacks this "timetable" feature. RW2 allows for this by injecting scheduled stops into it's HUD UI which can be layered over the default HUD or used in place of it.

Basically many folks would like QuickDrives to include scheduled stops for them like a scenario does. This is something that TSW does significantly better than TSC in my opinion with its timetable feature.

Yes, before you suggest it, we're aware scenarios exist, but they're very inflexible. Yes we're aware they can be edited in TSTools to change the train, weather, time, etc, but. this is an extra config step in yet another tool, and a Tool that itself needs its own tutorial to know how to use due to its complexity.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  17. mattdsoares

In RW Enhancer 2 (only in 2, Pro doesn't have this), you go to QuickDrive, choose your route, train, and consist. Choose your start and end stations. Then in the box near the bottom of the QuickDrive setup, tick the box that says "passenger service". This will then show you all the intermediate stops you can. You can tick any you want to stop at and for how long. When you then load into TSC using the big green DRIVE button in RWE2 the quickdrive will be pre-configured for you.

**NOTE, you MUST use the RWE2 HUD overlay in game to get stops scheduled for you. If you use the default TSC HUD, the stops won't be there. The RWE2 HUD is better anyway.

18. mattdsoares

I'll also add there is one more way to get schedules in quickdrive, and that's with Third Rails. https://www.thirdrails.org/

It's a free program that can do a few different things. Mainly it will provide an in-game HUD-like map overlay from open street maps or Bing maps, so you can track your TSC train on a GPS like interface so see where you are in the world.

Second, it has the ability to do PIS announcements like RWE2, but it's fully manual, unlike RWE2, though it is more flexible in that you can make whatever announcements you like.

Third, it connects directly to RealTime Trains and DB so you can search for actual train services and it will import all data from that service for you, and if you'd like then save that as a QuickDrive scenario.

Personally I find it to be a very good live map, but don't use it for the announcements or the quickdrive schedule import.

• Like Like x 1
  19. johnsgaming347

johnsgaming347 Member

I was wondering the same thing because when I do quick drives with custom routes for amtrak or metro north I nver get any AI trains and I want to have a scedule to run on

20. mattdsoares

AI trains appearing depends on the way the Quick Drive scenario was configured by the original creator (usually of the route). Some have AI, some don't. You can go into the QD scenario in the editor and add AI but it's a whole thing, and at that point you're probably better off just looking for a scenario on the workshop.