Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

This is exactly me. I'm still on gen8 and haven’t bought a DLC for quite a few months as was waiting for the summer sale on PS. However, now I’m holding out until I see what future TSW has on the PS4. I wish DTG would just get on with it and announce TSW3, now we all know it exists. Last year they put ‘TSW2 update’ on the roadmap and announced details in May.

The roadmap has become about as useful as a chocolate teapot; as has the saying ‘if it’s not one the roadmap, it’s not being worked on’.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

The motorway to the channel tunnel is moving swifter. Must be using a different roadmap there

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

No way do i have a grand on UK old age pension :o

• Like Like x 1
  4. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

So true!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Right, but they're already selling subscriptions on Gen 8, they don't need to sell new consoles to sell more subscriptions. Developing an entirely new console costing millions and selling it and far smaller a profit margin than an equivalent PC is a pretty ineffective way to make money, there's no reason to do it unless they think their existing hardware has reached its potential.

6. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

Just thinking about routes that might come with tsw 3, usually there are three with the annual release.

We know an American and a German release are being worked on.

It seems to me we have had more freight than passenger routes produced for the US of late, so I am hoping for something passenger. North Jersey coast was one of my favourites in TSC, but I doubt if we would get the full length in TSW3 which would be a shame as one of the nice features is the change from electric to diesel traction at Long Branch.

With regards to a German route, every German Route so far has bee electric, so it would be nice to have a predominately diesel route for a change. Kiel Lubeck?

No mention has been made of a British route, and I cant see TSW2 being released without something British, and as no route has been mentioned, I wonder, are we going to get a steam Gala add on for WSR. WSR is crying out for steam, it still seams a curious decision to me to make WSR one of the early releases before they had developed steam for TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes with SoS. With so much hype around steam, TSW3 (or whatever it's name will be) could use a steam route in its base bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

I just upgraded my pc
    i9 12900k+ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO+ROG RYUJIN II 360+ROG-THOR-1200P2-GAMING+SSD
    980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB+Kingston FURY Beast 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000MHz DIMM+GTX1080TI

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

With the investment in spirit of steam i would be surprised if it came as a core route, it would make business sense to me to continue to get £24.99 rather than a fraction of whatever TSW3 will cost. However I may be wrong, but I would really love to see some GWR steam for WSR

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Those willing to spend full price on it will probably have bought it by now. But we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I agree, if you look at historic TSC yearly releases, theyve often included a route previously released (sometimes 3 routes), and Ive little doubt that DTG wont look to continue a proven business model for them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

They said multiple times that SOS wouldn't be part of the summer release on stream etc but I wonder if they've back tracked since then?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's no summer release at all at this point

• Like Like x 2
  14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

We all know that's not the case, it's just not been announced yet.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if TSW3 core was a free update and TSW3 came with SoS, Sherman Hill and Dresden Chemnitz as standard with the 1 or both new routes forming a deluxe version(s).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if SoS became part of the core package anytime soon, if ever. The three core routes work as samplers introducing people to the types of content available, but there is no other steam right now. If SoS catches on well enough to make other steam DLCs worth developing, then it might be included with the base game some time in the future.

Now I'm curious how well SoS has done sales-wise so far. Has DTG ever said anything about whether it was successful or not?

• Like Like x 1
  16. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

My bet is a TSW3 would contain an upgraded form of last year's rush hour routes, possibly with a new loco/MU added for each to justify a repurchase. The region specific or deluxe bundles could then contain new routes they're working on, or more recent routes like Sherman Hill, Dresden Chemnitz and Spirit of Steam. They've already said the rush hour routes would be looked at again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

We don't know anything other than TSW3 has been mooted in some screenshots taken from various streams.
    Certainly they're stretching "summer release" given it's August, there's been no word on what "it" is yet, and we've seen DTGs lead time for such things in the past.

So there are multiple possibilities for any future release (TSW2 or TSW3) but it's very UNlikely to have much to do with summer unless you're Australian

• Like Like x 2
  18. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Oh please. microsoft is a multi billion dollar company. It cost $500 to make. Making new consoles earns Microsoft more money for example. Developers also can still make games for gen 8 as we are already seeing. Your point is moot

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Not sure if mentioned before, but if the two new routes are indeed for TSW3, that would be the first release of a TSW game in the franchise without CSX Heavy Haul in the "center" of it. So far, that's the only route that's been in the standard edition of all two games. If we indeed get a new "standard" us route, maybe another CSX one? A new operator?

I'd hope for another CSX one, or BNSF one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tank621

Microsoft literally sells each Xbox at a loss: https://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-consoles-not-profitable-microsoft-says-2021-5?r=US&IR=T

And where did I say that developers can't make games for Gen 8?

21. tallboy7648

You said that gen 8 has reached it's potential which is false since developers still developing for gen 8. If it did we wouldn't have games still available for gen 8. Microsoft still make money regardless by selling these consoles. It's not like they are making nothing

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  22. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Gen 8 has reached its potiential or else gen 9 wouldn't exist. Gen 8 games will continue as developera learn what they can and cannot do with gen9 equipment.

It happens every time a new gen comes out. Just this time I'm not someone who has been waiting to get the new console because when they announced gen 9 I saved up to buy one.

And then spent literally 4 hours a day trying to find one spring of 2021.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Games will continue to be released and supported for Gen8 consoles for years to come. It's happened with every hardware generation so far.

It's up to each developer to decide when to make the leap, and that decision has to be made for each title they make. Only DTG knows when the time is right to end development for Gen8. They have the data, and we don't so we can only wait and speculate.

• Like Like x 2
  24. tallboy7648

Yet we still have games for gen 8 and will do for a fair few years so saying that gen 9 was made because gen 8 has reached it's potential is just not true

• Like Like x 1
  25. bakedpotatos.jm

I'm more concerned that the pres crew updates have seemed to vanish for the last 6 weeks than TSW3 being released. What happened to them? Surely some of the small updates are done and can be released.

• Like Like x 1
  26. bakedpotatos.jm

Come back to me in 2 years and try to say that again. Its 10 year old technology.

If you don't think its at its limit how com MSFS can't be released on it? MS literally said they tried and the technology is just to old. So even MS has come out and said it.

Face it the gen 8 is as powereful as a low end PC at best.

To think otherwise is delusional.

• Like Like x 3
  27. tallboy7648

5-10 year old technically. Don't forget that the Xbox One X isn't much of a slouch. Also msfs can be played via the cloud system technically on last gen consoles and runs fine. Not to mention the Xbox One X is more powerful than a Xbox Series S. Not a good example mate.

I'm not delusional. Not every game will be released on last gen but that's up to the developers. Gen 9 was made not because gen 8 reached it's potential per se but because of money. Simple as that.

You may say otherwise but I just won't agree and that would be that really

• Like Like x 2
  28. Tank621

We still have games available for every generation of console. My point is that modern games are becoming more and more complex and memory intensive and the hardware cannot keep up. You can try to argue that point if you want, but I know from my experience playing TSW2 on Xbox One (just the core game, no add-ons. The best-case scenario for memory consumption in theory) during my months between PCs that TSW2 is struggling on the older consoles. I found it jarring how much worse the visuals looked and how low the frame rate was, I played only 10 hours of the game in a six-month period because of how poor I found the game on Xbox One.

I know there are examples of big, best-seller titles right up to today that can look and perform well on the old hardware but these are the studios with the most employees and money to invest the time to make that happen. Sure, DTG is making a not-so-insignificant amount of money by a lot of people's standards but the heavy hitters can make DTG's income in a matter of weeks.

It's not just TSW2 that struggles with old hardware either, I've experienced it in other games too. Project CARS 2 for example has a rather infamous issue on the standard Xbox One (and to a slightly lesser extent the PS4) where having over a certain number of AI cars on track (as low as 11 or 12 in a lot of cases) can have a dramatic impact on the player vehicle's physics, even to the point of near undriveability, most notably on oval races. As far as I'm concerned the old bog-standard Xbox One isn't only now struggling, it's been showing its age for years now and simply can't keep up.

That's not even to mention the fact that the development time (and therefore cost) to simply get games running up to standards will only get longer the more advanced the game becomes. It is an undeniable fact that the less time developers spend trying to get something to work on Gen 8, then the more time they have to spend on implementing new features or polishing the final product.

Yes, they do make something selling these consoles... a loss, they may take in money from selling the console but that's not covering the cost of developing or manufacturing it. In terms of console sales, they are quite literally making less than nothing. As Microsoft makes a loss on each console sold, there is literally no financial benefit in developing, producing and selling new consoles unless their existing console is not up to scratch anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  29. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Thank god no MP, the absolutely last thing TSW3 needs.

• Like Like x 11
  30. tallboy7648

This game is poorly optimized on last and current gen consoles hence why it doesn't run great on last gen and to a certain extent current gen. Simple as that. Other companies have proved that games using the same game engine can look better and run fine on older hardware. That's dtg's fault, not older hardware. I get stuttering on this game and game crashes whilst playing with my series x but it should perform better since it has newer hardware right? Clearly it hasn't been really the case.

• Like Like x 4
  31. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Correct. TSW2 is the only game crashing my Gen 9 Xbox sometimes with OOM. Not even MSFS does this which by the way looks 1000 times better and should be like at least 10 times more demanding on the hardware.

TSW2 is one of the worst optimized pieces of software ever.
    Hope they finally address this with TSW3 but i would not be suprised if it will not be addressed at all.

• Like Like x 4
  32. bakedpotatos.jm

Ok if thats what you have to tell yourself. Even though all the sports games have new features that are in gen9 while the gen 8 games are still the same as the '21 versions of the game.

But OK gen 8 still has so much potential its mind blowing!

Again I have never had a crash on my Series X for OOM. And the stuttering is no where even close to gen 8 maybe a couple of times a timetable.

• Like Like x 1
  33. tallboy7648

Just because you have no crashes on your console doesn't mean the experience for others is fine. TSW 2 just simply isn't well optimized. That's DTGs fault. Cant act everything is fine. Heck, there was a thead that had a user say he keeps experiencing crashes on ska with the new koln timetable at koln hbf on a PS5. Last time I checked, that console doesn't have old hardware

• Like Like x 3
  34. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

You shouldn't. It's an incredibly powerful console. But I can't believe you are happy with the way TSW looks on a console with that amount of power?

The lighting (in certain weather patterns), draw distance and textures are still poor for a game in 2022, even on gen 9 and the most powerful PC. Fact is, the game is poorly optimised and that isn't the gen 8 consoles' fault. Dropping them is an easy option but it isn't going to solve the core issues with the software.

• Like Like x 2
  35. bakedpotatos.jm

I agreed with you, 8th gen console have much potential they should be illegal.

Isn't that good enough?

All joking aside.

Of course it isn't optimized well for 9th gen its been optimized for the lowest denomination which is 8th gen. The only way to optimize for 9th gen is to make a game that does not run on 8th gen and is exclusive to 9th gen and PC. Hence why I think TSW 3 will be the 9th gen and PC exclusive.

All these games that state on Xbox optimized for Series S/X are not truly gen 9 games they have generally just been tweaked to 11 in the settings. Only gen 9 exclusives will be really optimized for 9th Gen. Like say Fifa? Fifa 22 has 2 separate vertions of the game when you buy the 9th gen version it does not say optimized because they literally are using 2 separate versions of the game. Hence the cross gen bundles. Gen 9 really optimized games don't work with smart delivery either that is why you have to pay an extra $10.00 at least in Canada. $79.99 for gen 8 and $89.99 for gen 9.

So that is why because as DTG have said when the make the game its all the same just gen 8 has lower settings than the rest.

If they did make a 9th gen standalone version it would definitly be better optimized.

36. bakedpotatos.jm

I disagree the reason the game isn't better on gen 9 is because the game is optimized for gen 8 amd then the settings dialed up to 11 for 9th gen and PC.

If the dropped 8th gen than it can be optimized properly.

Look at FIFA 22 the reviews are crap for the Xbox One version but the Series X version is rated high.

Because they make 2 separate versions of the game exclusive to each generation.
    That is why there is a price difference between the 2. And unlike FIFA 21 that was made for the 8th gen and just "optimized" for 9th gen you don't get a free upgrade from 8th to 9th. You have to buy the cross gen one for even more money.

TSW 2 is only an 8th gen game and if theu were to drop 8th gen it would perform way better on 9th gen and PC.

That is why they need to make a completely separate version. And hence we have TSW3

• Like Like x 1
  37. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The lighting remains one of the worst items. I just did a run on MSB, mid afternoon not raining and the scenery was monochrome black. Why I am more and more being drawn back into TSC. Just looks so much better.

• Like Like x 3
  38. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm disabled so I couldn't afford that on my own I was lucky enough to be given it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  39. tallboy7648

Oh so let's continue to blame older hardware for having poor optimization. What a joke.

DTG can optimize the game for gen 9 but they just haven't. There are already seperate versions of tsw for console. You have you 8th gen version and then you have the 9th gen version of this game. The whole reason for moving to 4.26 was to have separate version of the game so that gen 9 can have a bit more features that wasn't previously possible because when playing this game on gen 9, it was registered as an Xbox One/PS4 game. Gen 8 has nothing to do with the poor optimization, terrible lighting, stuttering and crashes on gen 9. That's all on dtg for not optimizing the gen 9 version of this game. The sepreate version of this game. DTG has implemented features found in the pc version so the gen 9 version of the game doesn't run similar to gen 8 feature wise. Why do people just keep blaming older hardware for things the company chooses not to do? This game is poorly optimized on all platforms and yet you act like gen 8 is the problem for poor optimization despite gen 9 having better hardware.

Also companies can choose to give players free upgrades of their games that have gen 9 features. Some developers have done so. EA charging for an upgraded version of their game doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The upgraded version of Control was something players had to pay for but the devs admitted they handled that wrong and was a mistake so charging for upgraded versions of a game is something a game company can choose not to do.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  40. Calidore266

Source? I'm pretty sure that if people were paying for a new version that was exactly the same as the last year's version, lawsuits would be flying.

This is exactly the opposite of what DTG has said. The game is developed for 9th gen consoles and current PCs and scaled back as needed to work on 8th gen. Dropping 8th gen wouldn't affect 9th gen one bit.

• Like Like x 2
  41. bakedpotatos.jm

Source is read the reviews the 8th gen reviews are terrible the main complaint is thay ot is just a copy of last years game.

Which was my point exactly.

42. tallboy7648

Most sports games are basically just rehashes of their previous titles with minor adjustments or improvements regardless of the platform used. 8th or 9th gen. It's been going on with the F1 games for a while now since F1 2019 for instance. The WRC games are another example

• Like Like x 4
  43. bakedpotatos.jm

Well all I can say is ask a developer, they will tell you the virtues of 9th gen and PC over 8th gen and how they won't mind one bit if 8th gen goes.

I hear it everyday in the lunchroom at the company I work for. Obviously you can guess who I work for by what game I used as an example. But lets just say 2024 is the date set for dropping 8th gen.

You can believe what you want but I do have inside information in the industry and I know what I have been told by the experts, so all my opinions are based off of what they have told me.

Whether thats what DTG are doing I have no clue only speculating.

I still believe they will release TSW3 for 9th gen and PC only. But I think they will continue to support 8th gen via TSW2 and improve the little bit they can. Just release the same routes for both.

I will happily be wrong though too.

I just really enjoy the game.

• Like Like x 1
  44. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Same here buddy, mental health disabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

Gen 8 is using tech from 2011 at best, don't forget consoles are developed years before they get released, Gen 8 is finished, it never was that good to begin with.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Calidore266

True enough, though I've never heard of the kind of 8th gen/9th disparity mentioned above.

Ironically, your example of F1 is one that I've seen reviews praise for offering more significant differences year to year, like new career or story modes.

• Like Like x 1
  47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That makes no sense at all. Poor optimization is a much BIGGER problem on 8th gen consoles and older PCs than it is on more powerful hardware.

• Like Like x 3
  48. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I really wish DTG would just announce the thing already- if we get another roadmap with nothing on it there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the exact same thing! hopefully the week's delay was because they will be able to say something next Tuesday that they couldn't this week.

• Like Like x 4
  50. tallboy7648

The driver career hasn't changed since f1 2019. The story mode on f1 2021 was filler for the fact that the career mode hasn't changed. It's the same with f1 22. Reviewers give these games praise they don't deserve or just don't know much about the game and give it high marks anyways. Don't even get me started with the FIFA games and how downhill that franchise has went

• Like Like x 2