Full Wcml?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nei4024, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

First of all hello everyone.

I was wondering if you can drive a train from London Euston to Glasgow Central. I've seen some videos on YouTube where they do it and I'm dying to do it myself (if that's possible).

I'm new to TS, but I have a long haul on TSW, this is why I look for long routes (there aren't any on TSW).

If you know how to do it or what dlc / mod are needed to be able to complete the entire Wcml, please reply to the thread.

Greetings.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is no full route from London to Glasgow.
    It is covered by 5 different sets of DLC, one of which is private

Euston to Rugby on WCML - South
    Rugby to Stafford on WCML - Trent Valley
    Stafford to Preston on the Missing Link from ATS
    Preston to Carlisle on WCML over Shap
    Carlisle to Glasgow on WCML North

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

How can I get the missing link from ATS?
    On the Alan Thomson's web site I see the WCML-M&N path, but I don't see any button or link where I can purchase it.

4. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

You need to have an ATS account and a subscription to download that route. It doesnt cost anything extra on top of the subscription, but is only available to subscribers. There’s also a list of requirements of other routes and assets that you’ll need in order for it to work - its worth reading the page fully and carefully!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2021
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is under Subscription Content which you have to take up
    Then you also have to by the OHLE pack
    And you need all the add-ons to make it work
    Even then you will drive in 4 or 5 sections - it is not a through route

6. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

So there is no way to drive a train from Euston to Glasgow without doing some kind of shortcut to change routes?
    That is, do the more than 600 km at once.
    The video I saw on YouTube made all the stops on an Avanti West Coast along the entire route. It takes about 4 hours. So isn't this possible?

There is no mod that allows you to go through the entire route without having to go to the menu to change the section?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks in advance.

7. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Nei
    From the Youtube video:

8. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

Okay, it was clear to me. I will have to find another long path or confirm with the respective sections of the WCML. Thank you all.

9. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

There is a merge of WCML Over Shap, WCML North and Edinburgh to Glasgow available here: https://xcroute.com/extended/?page_id=5833

It’ll let you drive from Preston to Glasgow or Edinburgh, which is a satisfyingly long uninterrupted drive.

Also, on Steam Workshop, Danny has a lot of merges at https://steamcommunity.com/id/atomicdanny/myworkshopfiles/?appid=24010

My personal favourite is his South Wales Mainline and Welsh Marches merge at (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2190398797

They all give far longer drives than TSW typically offers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Sorry for digressing a little..
    Know of or got any decent scenarios for that Aryffordd?

11. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Shwmae Reef. Mae’n flin ‘da fi, ond sa i’n gallu awgrymu unrhyw… I am one of those terrible non-purist inauthentic newbie types who sits down with realtimetrains.co.uk open on my phone and work to a timetable using, horror of horrors, Quick Drive. ;)

12. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi Nei4024

I started in TS about a year ago with same ambition of driving the WCML in one go, but ended up settling for driving in sections as per the DLC Peter mentions.

I personally now quite enjoy the route being split into more manageable chunks. (Very rare that I would actually have 5 hours to play TS).

Being split, Just makes it easier to drive the entire route across a few evenings.

In the real world it would be unlikely a driver would do the whole route from Euston to Glasgow in one go, as there would be crew changes along the way.

Don’t forget you can also start scenarios at speed, (ie not sat in a station).

So for instance I can run from Preston to Stafford using the ATS missing link scenario, and the scenario ends at 100mph on the Stafford fast through line.

The next scenario using Trent Valley DLC starts at the same place and at the same speed in Stafford (you just need to be ready when scenario loads!) and then can drive the Trent Valley line express to Rugby.

At Rugby can do the same thing, switching from Trent Valley DLC to DTG WCML at speed. (Although given the complexity of Rugby Station in TS it’s best to set the switch up about a mile outside Rugby).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

I'll take a look at it as soon as I can. Preston to Edinburgh sounds good

It is the bad thing about TSW, the length of the routes. From time to time I feel like doing a long route, but at the moment with TSW I can't.
    So here I am!

14. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I think there is a full WCML merge in the works but not really sure.

What I'd love to see would be the full WCML, GARL, Suburban Glasgow, Glasgow to Edinburgh, Fife Circle, West Highland Line + Extension and the Kyle Line all merged into one.

There's also the ECML merge if anyone's interested:
    https://alanthomsonsim.com/downloads/the-east-coast-mainline-merge/

15. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

I had no idea that the scenery could be selected with a running train, certainly that is a great option to make the change / cut from one route to another lighter.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Scenario (task) not Scenery. There is the option to have a rolling start in Scenarios but I find it easier to have the train at a stand as some trains have a number of switches to set.

17. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I agree with Peter, what I do is have one scenario stop at a red, in a siding or at a station depending on what suits best and then start the next scenario from that same location.

I also find that a great time for an irl PNB ;)

18. westcastlerail

Hi Reef
    There is a selection of real time Avanti services that run express Warrington to Euston in both directions via the Trent Valley line so wouldn’t stop at stations, and would be given priority signalling to avoid stopping … so that’s why I have them set up as starting in scenarios as already moving at speed.

(But boy do you have to be ready when the scenario starts)

Have also backed dated these services to the late 70’s early 80’s so can drive the non stop express APT from Euston to Preston. (A journey I was fortunate enough to do as a boy).

For the slower stopping services via Birmingham then yes, all the scenarios would be from a standing start at a station.

One day I would love to be confident enough to upload the scenarios I have created to Steam Workshop so other people can drive and comment on them to!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

This is something im really interested in,how far can you drive from birmingham in one go without having to change scenarios?. For example would i be able to drive from birmingham to crewe?.

20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In real life they do get stopped or checked on Signals
    I was at Stafford a few weeks back and a Northbound Pendolino was checked to run a Southbound Intermodal across it's path.
    The Intermodal was on time and the Pendo was early - blocked the shot slightly

The Avanti services via Birmingham don't call at Stafford in either direction - only LNWR and XC stop

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you look at the WCML Missing Link it covers Birmingham to Preston

22. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Thank you, thats what i was thinking just wasnt sure if it was seamless or it had to be driven in chunks

23. westcastlerail

Hi Peter

Thanks for the update ... the reason why I remember the non-stop Warrington - Euston services is the last time I travelled on one my train managed to pull down the Power Lines.
    Was a pretty scary experience and we had to get rescued by the orange army.
    Stuck on the train for 4 hours without power was an experience - not least the toilets.
    Eventually they brought a Voyager along side, and we had to use a disabled access ramp to move across between the two trains before being taken back to the station.
    Would make a great scenario in TS!!!
    IMG_1497.JPG IMG_1499.JPG

Just checked the ATS WCML update from Speedy Pete dated August 19, and it does say they are eventually planning a full WCML - but that was quite a while ago now so not sure if its still on the cards to happen?

• Like Like x 1
  24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not even tried the WCML Missing Link - it costs too much for me
    Yes, I know the route is free but the Sub is £33 and the OHLE brings it up to £40
    I will put it on my Xmas list for the missus :)

25. westcastlerail

In case anyone missed it, at the end of the ATS review of the AP class 87, he said the West Coast merge Preston to London is nearly complete. No release date ... but its on the way.
    No immediate plans to do north of Preston, until Over Shape and WCML North routes receive a major overhaul one day.
    But should mean in the not to decent future, a drivable WCML merge all the way from Preston, Liverpool, Manchester to Euston via Birmingham New Street. (not sure if Trent Valley is not included).
    ATS subscription will be required for access!

• Like Like x 2