Best Way To Get 10k Miles

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trpted, Jun 26, 2022.

1. trpted

trpted Member

Let us say that someone wants to get TSW2: Taking on the World (Operate any rail vehicle for 10,000 miles ) done.

What is the best way to get that done?

Please and thank you

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Just keep on playing until you get the achievement. Or you could play the longest route over and over again until you get 10000 miles. Just keep on playing and be patient cuz 10000 miles is really long

3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

LGV Méditerranée, if you get bored Munich-Augsburg, or Köln-Aachen.

• Like Like x 4
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Any of the faster routes, as stated in the post above, will get you there faster but may not be the ‘best’ way to get there. The most rewarding way is to drive a lot of different services on different trains on different routes in timetable or journey mode. Play the fast ones more often to accelerate the process but all services count towards the goal and you will have a better experience the more variety you have in your drives. It will take you a while on any trains so you might as well get the most enjoyment and fulfilment from the game in the process.

• Like Like x 6
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Definitely - perhaps I shouldn't have been so dismissive, but the only reason I can think of to ask this question is if you want to get it as fast as possible, but of course it might be a wrong assumption. Thanks for the more more complete answer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Cheers. I mentioned your post so I wouldn’t have to type out the names of the fastest routes in mine ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

The quickest way is to run the ICE from Munchen-Augsburg, save the game when you are approaching top speed (without exceeding it as speeding km's don't count) let the train finish the route, reload saved game, repeat many, many times. Of course, you're missing out on actually playing the game. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. trpted

trpted Member

Does it have to be a certain train or total of all of the trains?

Please and thank you

9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Combined. If it was 1 train, you would have to play the whole timetable many times lol and would be very torturous. Just have fun, play whatever route you want and stuff and once you get the achievement, it'll feel great

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

LGV is probably most efficient for this. It's a long route, but it's also an easy ride and completable in like 30 minutes. I was one of those people who couldn't enjoy the game until I got to 10k and platinumed it. But try to change it up a little bit and play some other routes here and there- or you'll drive yourself insane. LGV over and over will do that to you. At least if you spad or derail you keep your miles, so while falling asleep and failing isn't good, it doesn't cost you progress towards your miles.
    Once I took care of the platinum, the game's become much more leisurely and enjoyable for me. I can run full stopping services and not need to worry about efficiency and getting to 10k.
    Best of luck and try to enjoy the grind.

11. kobo

kobo Active Member

I think it should also be mentioned, as I experienced this on the ps4 version of the game before I upgraded to ps5, the counter for the 10k trophy stops counting if you're speeding. At least that's what I think was happening.

• Like Like x 1
  12. imstylinonyabro

imstylinonyabro Active Member

for me , i got it natural while working on dlcs. but the way i speed it up WAY more than 2020 is to just make a scenario from reading to paddington on GWE (don't own LGV). the limit for about 30 miles is 125 mph. i got 10k miles done well before i finished doing all my loco milage trophies for all preserved collection. i just set it so the train goes as fast as possible w/in the 125 limit. i make a save and set a timer. depending on what train it is, top speeds range from like 45 mph to 125 mph. i've afk'd all of it.

13. vicarious

vicarious Active Member

What's the point of rushing to reach 10k miles? A simulator really isn't a game in the classic sense (it's not a competition, you don't win anything and no new levels are unlocked) and the 10k is just an arbitrary number made into a milestone because simulators are marketed as "games" and therefore require at least a few "game-like" features.

It makes more sense, at least to me, to concentrate on mastering your train driving skills on a variety of vehicles rather than racing through scenarios in order to hit that arbitrary 10k mark.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Exactly. Weird thing is I have now managed to do it twice now. On the PS4 version and PS5 :) (think 'll leave the PC version...or shall I).

Hentis

15. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

I achieved this achievement with the Class 377 SN, because ECW was the route that I bought together with TSW2 at the time (it was the deluxe version) and for a long time it was my favorite loco and route, with the arrival of the London Commuter it can be more easy to reach that goal.

16. imstylinonyabro

you answered your own question. the achievement is a game-like feature, therefore they want to get it efficiently because there are ons of games out there to play. zero point driving 10k miles at 70 mph if you can just go flat out on LGV or GWE. also, mastering a train would be fun if there was a reward for it. all we get are gold medals that you don't need totry to earn. recently on CCl, i just sped everywhere and left stations early to get the long, repetitive scenarios done and i got gold on every single one.

17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Most people that regularly enjoy simulators have a completely different mindset.

I for example just like to drive trains, for all I cared they could remove the gold medal, the tick boxes on journey mode and the achievements, and I wouldn't have played any less.

The pleasure is the journey itself and trying to be as realistic as possible, following real procedures and using real driving techniques, there's no need (for me) for the dopamine hit at the end, there is no better feeling than nailing a perfect stop with smooth braking, perfectly at the stopping point after some realistic driving. The speed/distance trace is useful to evaluate yourself at the end but I don't need the gold medal.

Not saying you are doing it wrong, TSW is specifically aimed at people like you, that's why there are medals, collectables, achievements, etc... just be wary that you might be talking to people that might think in a completely different way.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  18. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I couldn´t care less about medals and trophies and all these gimmicks.

But speeding doesn´t seem to be a problem. I was buzzing trough WSR and look what a nice gold medal I got. ;)

Train Sim World 2_20220802185145.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. imstylinonyabro

I can respect that. I go by "the sultan of simulation" on psn and xbox live, so i definitely get the addicting to simulation. The reason I like fulfilling just achievements and moving on is there are so many simulators. Even with grinding out the milage afk, i've still go over 400 hours in TSW2. If i turned off my achievement/trophy mindset, would i ever get to flight simulator, powerwash simulator, cooking simulator, etc? I probably wouldn't. It allows me to enjoy a broad aspect of a sim and then get to more sims.

• Like Like x 1