Is Tsw2 Dead In The Water?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dangerousdave, Aug 2, 2022.

1. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I strongly doubt that a scenario editor with the capabilities of TSC would require any licensing.

• Like Like x 3
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

wxtr7 nailed it.

TBH having read what DTG Alex put the one thing missing still seems to be an assurance that TSW has a secure future. If that was/is the case surely there's no big problem actually saying that publicly. Doesn't matter whether it's TSW2 or indeed TSW3 but saying nothing does not assuage the feeling that the whole project may be under the spotlight and evaluation as to whether and how they carry on. Hate to mention it again but this is exactly what FSW went through. They even sent the PR lady to a big sim convention in the US to assure everyone then not long after pulled the plug. I also have to ponder with all the pessimism and speculation in all the various threads why something hasn't been posted by Matt P himself to deflect this negative attention to the product.

• Like Like x 3
  3. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

The amount we’ve all spent on this game over the years and previous iterations, you’d think that the DTG crew would maybe, just maybe realise that communication is key. The fortnightly road maps worked. It didn’t have to be release after release, but building a relationship with the player base is surely the way to keep us invested in the game?! I very much hope JT are working on some decent content and any other third parties for that matter. I agree with others, the editor being released would be best for this franchise,

• Like Like x 4
  5. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Happy to confirm. TSW has a secure future.

• Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

This is probably one of the best posts I have seen on these forums in some time. Although I try to stay positive regarding all things TSW/2/3 in its past and what has been achieved, the present and hopefully it's future....I couldn't help but nod to myself on all these points raised while reading through it.

You were able to eloquently detail all the things DTG currently need to improve to ensure a healthy future for both the game and it's community. Thankyou

• Like Like x 7
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Dang it, just typed out a big reply but have deleted it because there were too many points that could be misconstrued. It basically came down to us not knowing if this lack of information is the way DTG are going to be handling things from now on or just a temporary thing while there is a big change in TSW about to happen and that has to be kept secret in its entirety until an official announcement close to its release. TSW3 could have both good and bad news associated with it that has to come out together. An example I had thought of was much bigger scope of routes along with ceasing development for gen 8. If the details of the routes had been announced as normal then it could have got players excited about content that they later found out they couldn’t access with their hardware. So it all needs to come out in one go. That’s an example I thought of to explain a temporary silence, after which communication would open up again, although probably not to the level of the early roadmaps. The example is just that, an example, in the context of speaking about information flow. If it is just the way that DTG are going to be doing it from now on, I can’t say I would be happy about that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

:D

9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

But do our collections have a future or will TSW3 mean a complete clean break? The lack of even acknowledgement of TSW3 officially when the whole forum community knows its coming makes people 2nd guess why its still not officially announced

• Like Like x 4
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Anything will port over, bee too much uproar otherwise. I’d say tsw3 will be a behind the scenes core rebuild with some routes bundled. They have to pitch the routes as the sell but it will be the core behind it is which is the main reason for it

• Like Like x 2
  11. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

And usually that core update is free. But if you do want the routes (and overlays) you pay.

And the price last year was like 3 routes for the price of 1 and 1/3.

So not a bad deal even if you didn't care for one of the routes TBH.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ooh OldVern! You asked the right question!! How did you know!?! :D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG has said otherwise

• Like Like x 1
  14. chieflongshin

Now.... Fridays the day railfan tv gets announced for next week. The question is , reveal
    Or no reveal?

Will this be the third week on the trot I leave it alone

• Like Like x 2
  15. OldVern

Appreciate the response, thank you.

16. chieflongshin

I’m actually up for a tsw 3. Old stuff will likely carry over and if they sort some of the issues out and it’s a bundle I’ll go in on it

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This is very long discussion. I think there is justified cirticism on the overall quality of the DLC thta are released. It would not be so bad if at least the most annoying bugs would be fixed. But we are waiting months and monthhs for even almost trivial fixed. I am not talking about small glitches but about:

- Services you cannot complete because an AI train is blocking the route
    - Services you cannot complete because the train is underpowered
    - Services you cannot complete due to an AI train passing a signal at danger. (We know which train causes it)
    - Services you cannot run from the journey
    - Services you cannot complete because they hang in a coupling action.
    - Services where you ned to stop a 10000 ton freight train 5 yards before a red signal, while Matt promised us they would make this more relaxed.
    The BR187 that is released with safety systems that are not working at all.

I am talking about specifically Sherman Hill, Clinchfield but also the G6 DLC and even Sandpatch. These are not new and not fixed.
    Now there numbers of rumours about abandoning TSW2 and replacing it with TSW3. We have no idea what is going on, but we still have our nightmares from TSW2020 which was replaced by TSW2 where we lost all game progress, had to pay for the upgrade and so on.

People are getting very annoyed by the silence on this from DTG side, but in between we see third party shops advertising TSW3. This is simply not acceptable for the community. You can at leat tell us what is going on and how it will affect continuity of the game and maybe when this all will happen. It is not necessarily bad news, but the uncertainty is causing lots of speculation and discussion.

• Like Like x 10
  18. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Given the amount of investment by the preservation team in updating all the preserved routes of late, I'd imagine they would want to continue selling them for a future TSW3 to recoup more of that investment.

• Like Like x 1
  19. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I remember that Maik, the G6 developer, has said here on the forum that he gave DTG a patch some time ago that fixes some bugs. And it seems that they haven't even bothered to distribute it, which I find rather unfortunate.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

It has needed it's time but the patch is out since a while yet, but only for the G6 itself. What is still missing is a patch for the RRO route, the preserved update. No idea when this will get released. That would fix the buffer collision thing on SH05. All other issues should be already fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  21. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Wait, which third party stores are advertising tsw3?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am aware of that and it's great Mike is doing this, but it is not published and that is the problem. It is just one example.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Railfan tv for next week has been announced, looks like tsw3 is happening.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

lets be honest fixing the bugs in TSW2 was a disaster, they should have not upgraded to the new Unreal engine to support PS5 / Series X/S which was a lot of work for in effect nothing and just made TSW3 with maybe Unreal Engine 5 say as the next gen versions. I always thought they took on too much. We did not need a PS5 version of TSW2 as you could run PS4 version.

It needs to be rebuilt from ground up to make it much easier to sort out issues as in TSW2 bugs and glitches were simply out of control

My advice to DTG don't upgrade to newer versions of Unreal engine in the same game unless its a minor change. I hope testing and bug fixes are much more of a priority from now on

• Like Like x 2
  25. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification. Hopefully the route update won't take too long. Although G6 is probably the DLC with the least bugs on launch day in the history of TSW.

Going a bit off topic, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the great work you did with this DLC. The driving sensations are fabulous, great physics and sounds! The service mode is fantastic and varied, as well as the scenarios.
    You can really see how much effort and care you've put into every detail. No wonder it has the best rating in the Steam shop of the entire TSW catalogue.

Can't wait to hear about BR 420! :love:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  26. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

If only Maik worked at DTG, as quality controller or something like that,

can you imagine all the trains having the high standards he has with the BR101 and G6 shunter.

• Like Like x 4
  27. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

IT’S HAPPENING, IT’S HAPPENING! EVERYBODY STAY CALM!!
    Okok, so the schedule for next week says “The future of train sim world is coming- will be revealed on August 9th”- I don’t know what to say, but for a long time I haven’t been this hyped for this game :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. OldVern

Probably some of these threads can now be merged or locked, with the announcement imminent.

29. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

And what about TSW2?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Willowrpe

probably meant TSW in general if thats TSW 1,2,3 or 4

31. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are another six (that I have seen) new threads just about the fact that there is an announcement as well now. They’ll die off eventually but there are still four days of speculation to post in all of them until the inevitable explosion of post announcement threads.

• Like Like x 3
  32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Including a weekend, where everyone is home from work with nothing to do but comment on the Internet

• Like Like x 1
  33. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Hurrah. Finally we can see an end to this useless thread.

We're doomed, doomed I tell you !

34. OldVern

Not necessarily useless. For all we know, this thread and others similar may have persuaded DTG to reveal their hand earlier than intended. Never underestimate consumer power.

• Like Like x 2
  35. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I reckon they had no intention of mentioning this but the infamous JD leak changed all that but if DTG wanted to stop all these speculation threads then all they had to do was announce it. They could have said weeks ago 'TSW3 is coming more details in the next Roadmap' but no DTG like their secrecy.

• Like Like x 2
  36. chieflongshin

Let's just hope the leak hasn't meant they've all been working 20
    Hr days and they force a product out with more smells than tsw2.

i however am going to place absolute faith in Matt to be kicking some ass over the importance of quality on this.

I hope when it releases people just enjoy it, it hasn't lost its sim roots and at least for a bit people aren't whining and comparing it to 2.....

Welcome to the multiverse of the forum

37. Crosstie

Well, you may not have chores to do on the weekend but the rest of us........ :D

• Like Like x 2
  38. Crosstie

I think you know in your heart that's exactly what will happen. Prepare for another 23 page thread on what folks like or don't like about the revamped TSW and how it compares to its predecessor.

• Like Like x 3
  39. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree about the bug fixing, but good lord man, if you ever tried a gen 8 version you would not be saying this. On PS4 TSW is poor compared to PC but tolerable at a pinch. On XB1 it is just plain awful, no other word for it. Despite everything, moving to 4.26 was best move DTG ever did with TSW2: it freed gen 9 owners from the crappy resolution, blurry textures, and short draw distances of the previous gen. For me personally it was the day I no longer needed a PC to run a decent version of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Willowrpe

In fairness I did play the base xbox one and PS4 versions on last and new hardware compared to PC so I know what you mean, the upgrade probably needed a bit more time to bake to get right and that and the rush for more dlc's never meant they fixed a lot of stuff

41. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

My fear at the moment is that those like me, who are now too old to bother upgrading my computer to the recommended specs for TSW3 and will stay with TSW2, will be left with a game that has not had some of the major (to me anyway), bugs fixed. Such as SPG still spontaneous derail going downhill to Cumberland, unable to put my head out the driver's window on class 150, to name two of my biggest gripes. other small things like sounds failing etc I can live with, but if these items are not fixed for tSW2 owners and then fixed for TSW3 owners then we will indeed have been marooned and left with a very sour taste in our mouths. Seems to me all effort is on pushing out new content over fixing stuff we already paid for, which is in my view, very poor form. I see no guarantee here that this will not happen; that we will not be left high and dry after September sixth.

• Like Like x 1
  42. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

To answer the title of this thread in short, yes TSW 2 is now dead.

TSW 3 has essentially made TSW 2 obsolete. I expect a few final fixes here and there before it will be abandoned, with the remaining TSW 2 team moving over and working on TSW 3 related stuff.

It makes no financial sense to keep supporting an outdated version.

• Like Like x 3
  43. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with that.

44. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

One thing to mention about the new recommend specs is that relatively they haven't changed, our old recommended specifications for TSW2 were wildly outdated (to the point where you couldn't even buy the parts listed on the market!) and so we've just brought the specifications list in line with what is currently being used in modern PCs, simply for better refernece.
    In other words, if you can run TSW2 well, you shouldn't really be able to notice much of a difference in TSW3 - of course it's always worth using a site like UserBenchmark to compare how your system lines up with our recommendations to be more confident of this too.

TSW2 will still be recieving bug fixes and the originally listed roadmap updates, and I believe when the team introduces a fix to TSW3, they will look into how they can also port these changes to TSW2 where it makes sense and on a case-by-case basis.
    Of course, with the new game revealed now, the team will be mainly working on TSW3 from now onwards, and that's where the focus of changes will be.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  45. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

No, this claim makes no sense - these changes are not merely replacing the listed products with newer ones of comparable quality:
    • GTX 970 > RTX 3070
    • 8 GB RAM > 16 GB RAM
    And if them being outdated actually was the reason, why have the minimum specs remained pretty much the same?

46. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think DTG have put "recommended specs" as "this will run at 4k at 30fps stable in any conditions" rather than "If you want the game to play at a decent rate for a grand, this is your spec

Personally I'm aiming for a high end core i5, mid range 8Gb GPU and 64Gb RAM and hoping for the best

• Like Like x 1
  47. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

I do want to clarify my message above for mixing between the minimum and recommended specs, that large jump between our two listed specifications for TSW3 as you've pointed out because our recommendation is suited for running the game is 4k resolution smoothly compared to the minimum being at 1080p, both at 30fps.

Essentially the range between our minimum and recommended specs is large and systems within this range will be able to experience the game performing very well.

Our official message is that if you can run TSW2, you should be able to run TSW3 at a similar level. We've tested internally on this and got results to prove this point, but realistically each system will be different. Based on our testing you shouldn't need to worry if you can already run TSW2 as the new game should perform the same.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  48. chieflongshin

Succinct answer…… within 6 months yes.

49. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i new pc i9 12900k+ausa ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO+asus rog ryujin ii 360+Kingston FURY Beast 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Ram +Samsung 2TB 980 PRO NVME M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD+ROG-THOR-1200P2-GAMING+GTX1080TI

50. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

WAIT RTX4090