Tentative Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Yorkshirelad, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

To be blunt, and I'm not speaking for everyone, but I don't think a TSW3 is needed, TSW2 is only 2 years old, and still has plenty of life left, even on the ageing gen 8, TSW2 has so much potential, christ DTG you don't even fully utilise UE4, and you can't say "we needed a new game to do this"

• Like Like x 12
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Needed or not, it’s coming - that much is very clear.

• Like Like x 8
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

DTG are well known for title relaunches, granted it’s usually only the year of the title that changes, but nonetheless, I don’t see DTG changing too much, considering they’re still catching up with their last few ‘upgrades’.

TSW 3 will likely just be the same thing with a stream full of buzzwords, and some changes to UI.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

TSW2 has a load of parts to it that are 'too fragile to attempt to change'

just look at the recent updates... fix one problem, create another 20 new ones.

There is also the bit where they say that gen 8 will always be supported by TSW2.... so.... yeah, that doesn't apply to TSW3,

• Like Like x 3
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

gazz292 is thinking the same as me. This isn't necessarily about adding loads of fancy new things, there will be some as they need to sell it however I honestly think it will be

New UI, Matt said it wasn't easy to change I believe.
    New map, another thing if I recollect he said was hard to get working
    New in game menu, again If I recall correctly they suggested it was too fragile to add sliders for detail etc.

I also think there will be a lot of behind the scenes things to make it more robust to add to routes and to detach trains from routes . This will likely enable more loco dlc as they won't need to attach it to the route.
    Primarily though their pitch has to involve 3 new routes and a reassurance that they are not leaving people or routes behind

• Like Like x 4
  6. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Changes will probably be so small most will not notice a difference (besides a new UI). So dont worry.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If you add sound and lighting improvements and dynamic weather, that combination alone would be worth the price of admission.

I'm not convinced that separating locos from their "home " route would lead to more loco dlc though. The dearth of individual locos is a major weakness in TSW compared to TSC. More 3rd party involvement is needed to solve that problem, since DTG has basically stopped making add-on locos.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

I think the foundations of TSW2 are too fragile, with all the bugs glitches, PS5 trophy issues and other PS5 issues makes sense to start from a new solid base that is more robust and reliable and can implement fixes quicker and easier as its currently a mess

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I am glad I am not the only one that can't get excited about all the TSW3 hype. People seem to be overlooking the fact that DTG told us the summer DLC break was to fix all of the old bugs. This now seems to be a blatant lie, given we still have not received the Oakville or the Peninsular corridor updates that they were promising us a year ago. Fix the stuff we have already paid for before releasing new. No doubt DTG will be telling us these much promised fixes will have been further caught up in a QA backlog caused by TSW3

I just hope that once again its not a case of the marketing department making promises the game can't keep because that's going to cheese off even more players. It been fairly evident from the start that all these leaks have been intentional, right from point when JD told us they had a special scene transition for the livestream followed a minute later, by oops I just leaked TSW3.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Crosstie

It's the other elephant in the room, isn't it?
    If there is a " new " version of TSW, whether it owes its genesis to TSW2 or not, what happens to all the bug fixes and updates that were supposed to be dealt with over the summer " hiatus", but haven't been seen yet?
    I don't think DTG can afford to sweep them under the rug, thinking that a new iteration of TSW will erase our memories. I still want Rush Hour on BML, fixes to Boston and many other promises kept.

• Like Like x 9
  11. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Here's hoping we don't get another long list of preservation updates where we wait literal years for them to appear publicly.

I appreciate DTG going back and adding newer features to older routes, but going forward it seems like DTG are chasing their own tails with updates whenever a new feature is introduced. Maybe it's best to move on and accept that some routes are just old? (if that allows more resources to be put into improving other areas of the game that is).

• Like Like x 3
  12. Willowrpe

Its my theory but its due (I can only speculate) to the how the core of the game works which is why they struggle to fix problems. Many devs would have fixed these type of problems in others games quickly. When you have waited a year (or more) and problems have not been fixed it needs to be asked. Rush hour for BML should have been available day 1.

As for the vast number of routes and locos as AA says above DTG will simply end up with far too many routes to manage and update over time so they need a policy on it. Maybe up to 2 years of support for a route and after that only critical fixes are done. Otherwise DTG simply wont have the resources to manage TSW properly and the newer routes get the lion share of the updates

13. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. Personally, I really hope it's more of a patch/refresh/title change and not another paid game ala TSW2 (with a worser UI than before). Because while I did buy TSW2 on launch, I can see myself giving a paid TSW3 a pass unless I see something I really want and not just more of the "same". Dovetail seem to have a bad habit of jumping from one "big" project to the next, leaving behind a bunch of bugs that they spend ages patching.

I'm certain the same thing was said about the transition from TSW 2020 to TSW2... Third time's the charm? :D

14. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I wonder if sales of TSW2 and its DLC have been disappointing of late and DTG are desperate to change that? What better than TSW3 hype. If they are upgrading the engine it would have to be UE5.0 surely to future proof the game but I fail to see what we will get now that drastically alters the game and seeing how they have tweeted that they jetted off somewhere with cameras suggests perhaps a new country in game?

No matter what it is I'm sure DTG have a super-duper, important excuse in why it has to be done now and is just vital for the games existence? My expectation? No fixes like lighting but just a new route in a new country that a few will be hyped about but others will be like 'meh'.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I can't help but think the whole jetting off thing might refer to something like the Heathrow express

16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You mean they are trolling us? Nah, I’m still expecting something big. They wouldn’t let me down would they? Not DTG lol.

• Like Like x 4
  17. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

THIS !!
    Unless the “news” is that they have fixed all the problems they said they were going to do , then I don’t think they can be trusted in anything else they say
    Obviously time will tell (well Tuesday will tell)

• Like Like x 2
  18. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Something big?
    Like actually fixing one of the core problems of TSW? I want to believe...
    But it is probably VERY unlikely.

New UI, new name, new route and that's it.
    Disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

As I have no idea what they are going to announce, I prefer to wait before expressing my opinion. There are already at least 10 threads for wish lists and speculation.

20. dhekelian

Makes me wonder if DTG really know their player base or even care?

Do they think people want at this moment in time a new empty route in a new country or do they want lighting fixes and existing routes flushed out with Loco's?

I'd go with the latter.

• Like Like x 4
  21. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m not really interested in a route where there is only one unit and then has large empty stations.

What I want to see are core upgrades, old stock being updated to their newer counterparts, and loco DLC’s.

At this point I’m not really looking to invest in new routes that are just going to be left behind.

• Like Like x 3
  22. chieflongshin

They’ll be some appeasement spin/promises tomorrow.
    Remember new customers don’t buy two year old games, they buy new ones

• Like Like x 2
  23. christopher-lloyd

christopher-lloyd New Member

I agree that TSW3 is not needed... just update TSW2 or at leat make TSW3 a free upgrade for TSW2 owners without any of the new DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  24. chieflongshin

• Like Like x 5
  25. christopher-lloyd

christopher-lloyd New Member

• Like Like x 8
  26. chieflongshin

Of which this is. Yes it is a train game, yes it is still unreal, but it's a new incarnation. Do they need to lock off all tsw2 dlc for people to say its new?

27. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Depends on the game. Plenty long running ones still sell well after a decade, because they keep a public profile due to the constant influx of new content, and that means there's always a bunch of new players hearing about it.

• Like Like x 4
  28. dhekelian

I think you are a DTG's wet dream. Paying for updates what next? Nothing against paying for routes, DLC and all that but updates? Many which were of DTG's own making. You think these indie developers would survive if they started charging for updates. Look what that bloke did with 'No Man's Sky. Even EA don't charge for updates and that says it all.

You say it is a new 'incarnation' but the fact remains everything in TSW3 could be run on TSW2. TS1 didn't charge for updates and that was a new edition every year no? Even though it was still compatible. I've said before I don't think there was any need for TSW3. TSW2 is not that old and deserves to be fixed a NEW edition of TSW should come when a new one is justified like when upgrading to UE5 and that will be a while yet.

The bugs we all suffer in TSW2 will be in TSW3 as it is the same engine, IMO DTG should of concentrated on the 'stuttering' issue and the save game issue and stop with their pet projects they will likely discard. And now where does that leave updates for TSW2 especially when DTG have said they go to TSW3 first? Sounds to me like they will bury them. DTG are all for the nexxt new shiny project but not for fixing the mess they leave behind.

• Like Like x 12
  29. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

We are paying for new routes with updated features, if you dont want the new routes then keep with TSW2 and the current features. Barely any of the new features provide apply to the older DLC any way.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sadly it seems the way forward will be to embrace TSW3 one way or another and try to hold DTG to their promises. If I do decide to give them a chance however, it is very much one last and if they drop the ball on optimization, sound or most important fail to deliver the save game in a timely fashion, they won't get another.

TSW2 will be dropped like a stone when it comes to support.

• Like Like x 3
  31. chieflongshin

Wet dream or not give it a few months and you’ll be hard crusty dried cash on the curtains, 6 months of dreams behind me, I’m sure :D:D

• Like Like x 2
  32. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

I feel really bad casting shade on TSW3 as I know there will be a lot of sweat and tears/misery in part of the dev team with this game (i hope they dont read the forums) but this is entirely on the management of the franchise for causing this much drama.

I keep doubting myself when i join others in speaking against the idea of charging for TSW3 but then posts like this remind me that No Mans Sky and other indie devs have managed to bring back a game/franchise by NOT charging for what is essentially an update.

For the sake of the hardworking devs DTG, please for the love of god fix this situation. Not only for your customers but for your own staff who have to put up with this drama.

• Like Like x 8
  33. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

You do realize TSW3 is built off the same foundations as TSW2 it's technically TSW2.1, they haven't built TSW3 from the ground up like they are claiming to have done...

• Like Like x 7
  34. Crosstie

I don't think they're claiming to have " built TSW3 from the ground up ". It's clearly based on the foundations laid down by Heavy Haul, TSW and TSW2, otherwise how could all of the existing dlc be compatible with it and playable in it?

• Like Like x 3
  35. Willowrpe

yes it wont be totally rebuilt from the ground up, hopefully designed to prevent as many issues as possible

• Like Like x 2
  36. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

AFAIK, they said they built the lighting from the ground up. Not everything.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Yeah the lighting from the ground up but DTG are trying to make out that it's a brand new game, when it's basically TSW2 with new lighting effects

• Like Like x 7
  38. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No, we are also paying for fixes to bugs which ought to have been repaired for TSW2. Anyone who doesn't want to fork over for "v. 3.0" (hah!) will be stuck with a broken game, forever.

• Like Like x 9
  39. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

TBH - Im really not sure buying versio3.0 will fix the game either. I feel like one of those old toy dogs trundling happily towards some DTG promise of fix this, do that, only to be yanked hard around the neck in disappointment again and again and again.
    [​IMG]
    *Preservation updates will be released after SOS over the summer gradually.....Yeah - Reality (Yank!) - Nothing!
    *Bug fixes will be worked on after SOS - Great - Reality (Yank!) - Lets get TSW3 ready
    *PS5 DLC fix is a priority - Phew! - Reality (Yank!) - After a year nothing......
    *Add on manager to fix above is coming out before TSW3 release - WOW! - Reality (Yank!) - Oh we've just discovered a last minute issue on PS5 only (What the !@#$) This could delay us by months.......!!!!!......
    *TSW3 is a marvel you have to see to believe - New Lighting and little gizmo tricks - COOL - Reality (Yank! )- Watch the streams for a train wreck disaster.

There is a lot I like about TSW - I use/play it often and after discovering it during lockdown am thankful for its entertainment value but as a company DTG are infuriating and 2.5 years ago when I first read the Woos and Bewares on these very Forums I thought surely it cant be that bad. But the same broken promises, we've learned from this, this won't happen again and we are working tirelessly to fix it don't wash anymore. Actions now need to speak much louder than words and in reality these actions never seem to pay off; just get kicked down the line (sometimes way down the line or shunted off to some dead end) I am now far more wary and won't be distracted by some new sparkly add on whilst the rest of the collection continues to rot with a promise that don't worry all / or most will be fixed.
    I now view every stream, glossy pre-recorded video and forum post like this:
    upload_2022-8-31_7-47-4.png
    Prove it - Show me - Release it it.
    Give me the full working Game I spent my money on.

• Like Like x 12
  40. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I doubt TSW3 will turn out much better then the TSW and TSW2 attempt in the end .
    We have seen promises on fixes before and we know the drill by now.

So many things in TSW2 and the DLC will now stay broken forever because with the TSW3 they found a reason to abandon the old DLC

• Like Like x 3
  41. chieflongshin

I am wondering whether I shall now be wishing I bought £45 of your oil instead

• Like Like x 1
  42. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Well, then don't pay for the promises - pay for the facts.

Unless you're hyped for the new routes and/or new features coming with TSW3, then you need evaluate if you it is fine for you to pay for TSW3 being aware about those issues coming with it from TSW2. If yes, buy it. If not, leave it. Simple as that, as least for me.

• Like Like x 1
  43. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

My wallets been closed for over a year I was a fool to believe the ps5 dlc limit was coming this month. Shame on me......

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Believe in fixes to TSW games only when they are released and actually work

• Like Like x 3
  45. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Honestly, I see TSW3 as a two route pack with an extension to one of my favourite routes for 40€ which is a decent deal IMO.

Forums have been a broken record everytime anything's been announced.

• Like Like x 8
  46. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

But the it should have been a route pack for TSW2, not a new game (with the same core issues)

• Like Like x 7
  47. dhekelian

I've no intention of buying TSW3, there is literally nothing I want. I'll wait for the sales and get it dirt cheap if I even will then. I will keep an eye on it to see if has really improved the lighting like the claims but I am in no hurry, no hurry at all.

• Like Like x 2
  48. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this, it seems that the only core route with TSW3 is the Training Centre, so I wouldnt be surprised if you could purchase a starter pack for future route DLC without needing to buy any of the original 3 routes.

• Like Like x 1
  49. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

It’s mostly just the same users beating the same drum over and over again. Life’s way too short to be getting this upset over a Train Sim.

• Like Like x 12
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually, he has already paid for the promises - not only broken, but broken forever unless he pays up yet again. Those who don't shell out for TSW3 will be stuck with a dysfunctional game whose 'promises to fix' have now been unilaterally revoked.

• Like Like x 11