Initial Reaction/opinions About Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FD1003, Aug 9, 2022.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This is somewhat of a knee jerk reaction, perhaps I'll come back to this after I think more about it

BAD
    • Route and loco choice
    1. ICE1 good, Kassel Wurzburg Good
    2. No new rolling stock, awful, very frustrating. Can't believe we got another BR185 and Electrostar, it's genuinely a meme now. Very very frustrating.
    3. Trailer and Branding are too flashy and over the top for my personal taste, almost seems like a mobile game
    4. Personal Problem not many people will have, no play anywhere, probably means I won't buy immediately it because I want to get rid of my XBOX in the far-mid term now that I am on PC
    5. Again, giving away "for free" a loco DLC I paid for, I seriously need to stop buying those, it's just an early access, you pay to get it before everyone else.*
    *After some reflection, I think I just need to cope and be less naive when purchasing content in the future
    MEDIOCRE
    • Volumetric Clouds, nice to have but the LondonMidland skybox was fine for a train game IMO, this is not MSFS
    • Passengers have umbrella, cool I guess?
    • Weather will have a physical impact on your driving experience. Wasn't that already the case with TSW2 when adhesion was added?
    GOOD
    • Dynamic Weather
    • Lightning
    • I think the ICE3 got upgraded
    • Hopefully the ICE1 will be good
    • Pricing model seems decent under closer inspection, you will get a substantially upgraded SEHS for free if you owned it already, great value especially if you don't own the Class 465...
    • New UI, not that it would be hard to beat the old one... but it's decent in my opinion
    • Laying the foundations to get rid of home routes for loco DLC you shouldn't buy
    • New lighting system including third-rail sparks and flashes from catenary.
    • Seasonal timetables will vary the volume and timing of services based on the season.

I would have preferred 3 new routes with 1 new train each, but to each their own I guess, hopefully the coupler issue will get fixed before the heat death of the universe as well

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
  2. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

From the other thread:

• Like Like x 3
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Honestly the only way I can justify this is:

If you would have bought any of those routes as a DLC for TSW2, you just pay a 5€ premium to get all the core updates as well, it sucks if none of the DLC are appealing to you though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm, pretty happy so far. If I buy it on Playstation or PC I only need to buy the German Edition as I already have SEH and I don't want the American Route. More than happy with the German Route. I also play on XBOX, but the game pass version will be fine for that. So I'm really only buying one route which I would have bought anyway to get the 2 routes I want.

Really like the new weather and visual effects. Looking forward to hopefully seeing better night lighting.

But - Big thing for me is bug fixes for the TSW2 Routes. The big one being the 64gb limit on Playstation. I really hope that is fixed for both TSW2 and 3 by release date.

Other than that I'm waiting to hear what else they have to say. I've been on a bit of a break from TSW and gaming in general. Cautiously optimistic but not super excited just yet.

• Like Like x 3
  5. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

A new route, I feel would have been better for the initial release rather than an extension, I'm also a bit disappointed about one new loco, was liking the idea of a Italian ore Austrian high speed route near the alps which is what the 24 hrs livestream gave the impression of.
    I'm liking the training center and the idea that loco DLCs will hopefully in the future be independent from a route.

Questions:
    Are there any gen 8 restrictions with the new features

Are the two new routes the unnamed US and German route that have been in the roadmap.

What is going to happen about existing issues/upgrades in TSW 2 especially crashes and major bugs will they be resolved in TSW2 or 3 ?
    Would scenario designer 2.0, if it ever comes out, be in both 2 and 3 or just 3 if it did get created during 3s lifespan.
    Will additions to routes only be compatible with TSW3 and not 2 e.g. would SOS dlc be only available for TSW3 or will SOS remain empty in TSW2?
    Is the new SEHS independent of the old one, would I end up.with two of the same in my menu or do they merge ?

Overall I'm really liking the new features and UI and thank in advance for answers to the questions above.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Overall, I'm positive about the new release, but I need to know if the save game system is fixed before purchasing.
    Not going to even touch Cajon Pass without a functioning save system

• Like Like x 2
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Pretty much in the same situation, it's a shame for the lack of play anywhere but I get that's a "me" problem that won't affect the majority of people. It's a shame there is no basic bundle in case someone is only interested in SEHS, already owns SoS and doesn't want to buy any of those DLC again

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Whatever. That's my feeling. I think there's more of a justification for a "new game" going from 2 to 3 than there was from 1 to 2, so that's good. Like the dynamic weather and improved lighting. SCS does this type of stuff as free updates for ATS and ETS2, so that would have been nice here, but at the same time SCS has a player base magnitudes greater than Dovetail has for TSW, so they need to finance those improvements, so I get it.

I'll buy it. I'm not flipping out excited over it, but I'm looking forward to it more than I was TSW2 or Rush Hour for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The purchase options put me I think at a disadvantage: I own SEHS (and the 465) already, as well as SoS - but since I probably will want both El Cajon and the new German route, I would have to buy the whole full-price "standard edition" and thus effectively pay for SEHS all over again.

• Like Like x 7
  10. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We'll talk about Save Game in the Roadmaps coming in the next couple of days.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Since I am on the xbox I am looking forward to it because it has Dynamic weather features which is absent in TSW 2

12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah, seems like depending on what you own and what you want you might find yourself at a disadvantage. Not the first dubious business practice by DTG but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mattdsoares

I've never understood people getting upset about this. You paid for the DLC and got to use it for a whole bunch of time before those that didn't. Do you gnash your teeth and curse the heavens when a big game with DLC expansions then released a "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate" Edition that includes all the previous DLC bundled?

• Like Like x 5
  14. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It's not just a you problem. If it was play anywhere, I could buy DLC on XBOX and play on PC as well. I would be very happy for that and would dump Steam in an instant. As it is I just buy my favourite stuff for XBOX. Glad it's on game pass though. Primary reason I have the XBOX Version is for Cloud Gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DTG JD

1. Still to be confirmed, we're testing 8th-gen at the moment, but will confirm before release if the experience will be different.

2. Yes.

3. Roadmap will cover this tomorrow/Thurs

4. Likely TSW3 at this stage (not on the Roadmap though, so don't make your decision based on that).

5. In the FAQs - they will receive dynamic weather.

6. There will only be two SEHS - the TSW2 one you'd play on TSW2, and the TSW3 one, which will be the only one available on TSW3.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the kind feedback.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mattdsoares

You're entitled to feel how you want to feel about this, but your quote is a massive oversimplification to the point of coming across as disingenuous. To boil it down to 30 quid for just improved weather is inaccurate and I think you know that.

• Like Like x 9
  17. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I wonder what this means for bug fixes promised for TSW2. We were told that bug fixes and preservation updates would come for this game. Now it seems that we may have to buy TSW 3 just to receive those updates. This just seems like DTG being greedy and whilst I have over $100 in Xbox gift cards via Microsoft rewards, I am not sure if I should get this game.

• Like Like x 2
  18. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's not the end of the world, don't get me wrong, I am not going to ready my pitchfork and stalk the DTG staff, and there are bigger issues, but if I paid for what is basically early access or an exclusive timetable and a livery I could have made myself in the editor (like it is for the BR363), I would have liked to know beforehand

• Like Like x 3
  19. solicitr

It's kind of like having bought a 45 rpm single and then getting upset when it's released as an album track.

• Like Like x 7
  20. tallboy7648

Technically it isn't.

If a person is spending that money but isn't interested in any of the routes then they will just be paying for improved lighting and weather effects. They should've just made the dlc separate from this update like they did with rush hour. It just seems like a cash grab to be honest

• Like Like x 7
  21. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

SEHS is just a added to route,Not really new heck not even a new train for it.This is a new low for dtg recycling a route.I know this isn't a frist recycled route but this isn't a dlc route it a new game route.New version of the game should have 3 NEW routes but instead dtg tacks on extra track and calls it new,Heck i don't live in the UK and even i'm disappointed by this.

• Like Like x 12
  22. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Overall I am rather impressed but seriously another route in the south east with an electrostar is, in nice terms, a bit of a joke. At least the 465 is included though which should provide some fun as I never bought that dlc.

23. solicitr

You mean, like Sand Patch in TSW2?

• Like Like x 1
  24. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Yeah... Same here

• Like Like x 3
  25. tallboy7648

It's exactly what happened with the DB BR 363. They released it as a dlc, then they re release it for DCZ as well in blue even though they are the same train but in a different color. Whilst I didn't buy the 363 as loco dlc, I felt like that was not a good business decision for reasons like these

• Like Like x 3
  26. SHINO BAZ

That wasn't as bad because technically it was still some what new since console players hadn't had it before that.

27. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Looking at the TSW3 versions table I'll be able to just purchase the US starter pack so as to get the new US route and because I've already got SEHS I'll also get the new extended version of that included for free. I'm not bothered about the German or SoS routes so just buying the US pack means I get the two routes I want.

2022-08-09 (6).png

28. DANtheWALLY

DANtheWALLY Active Member

I'm just disappointed.
    I will not be paying for tsw3 at launch or for a long time.
    Would be nice if I could just pay a small amount for tsw3 without the dlcs I'm not interested in so then I can move my existing ones across.
    The only good part is the training centre which I can't access unless I get my £39.99 out.
    If you charged about £10 - £20 for just the tsw3 upgrade then I'd be more than happy to pay it but you're just gonna get £0 instead of anything.
    Sorry dovetail but I'm disappointed.

• Like Like x 11
  29. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Played the old TS Cajun Pass a lot and enjoyed it.
    Looking forward to revisiting it again and the enhanced SEHS.
    Sadly another fast German route will be overkill for me, but I can hope I'm proven wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  30. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I guess so, perhaps I was a bit naive when I thought it wouldn't happen as much as it did, I'll freely admit that. Just for clarity I am not saying I got ripped off or that DTG is a scam, I get it the Class 465 now is quite old, so was the 363 when it was released with DRA, but why not use actual electric locomotives for shunting in DRA like it is in reality, and perhaps add the 363 as a layer for example? it seems like better solutions could have been found in some cases.

Perhaps release the new SEHS with a Class 466 so that it can be used both standalone or coupled to a Class 465 like they are in reality if you have the loco DLC?

• Like Like x 4
  31. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Please keep up this kind of brutal, honest response. We are all sick of whingers.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

It looks like a nice upgrade to TSW2, but only playing it will tell if this is so. Also are we now going to have Rail Driver as integral item and not a beta?

• Like Like x 1
  33. SHINO BAZ

I'm glad 8th gen was included but the hardware going to pushed well past it's limits to run TSW3.

• Like Like x 4
  34. tallboy7648

Yeh it's a route extension, not a new route

• Like Like x 1
  35. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

Here are just a few of my initial thoughts that I'll throw in.

1. While it is annoying that we see the same locomotives returning (i.e. 185.2, Electorstar, and SD40-2), we are still getting new locos with the new routes (ES44C4 and ICE1), and the extended Southeastern Highspeed will include 5 locos total.

2. It is a little sad to me that it will be a whole new game, and not an update like TSC. It means that all the progress that I've made in TSW 2 will be lost. However, it doesn't bother me too much, since the game is about driving the trains more than the completion to me. On top of that, all the TSW2 routes will receive updates and are free if you own them in TSW2. (Hopefully this goes off well this time, unlike the move from TSW2020 to TSW2)

3. The weather upgrades and the vfx look really good and definitely bring the route to life.

4. The UI looks definitively better than TSW2.

5. I am also a little disappointed that there is no way for me to get just the US and German route, since I already have SEHS.

Overall, it is definitely an improvement over TSW2. Personally, I think it's worth it. Once this pops up on steam, I'll probably pre-order it.

• Like Like x 5
  36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

God I hate the “we’ll talk about it later” spiel. is it fixed? All this statement tells us is, no it isn’t.

I suppose it’s the same response for the PS5 DLC limit?

Please do forgive my saltiness, but you’re eager enough to put a £50 product on sale, so some yes or no’s to questions on the biggest, unresolved issues, of the now obsolete TSW 2 would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 7
  37. SHINO BAZ

I notice matt or jd said nothing about where tsw2 dlc official ends.I'm guessing it ended with IOW2022.

• Like Like x 2
  38. juliplus#6089

juliplus#6089 Active Member

Wow dtg is pulling out its first ever route extension and people start crying
    You got the first ever steam Route and the first ever route Extension and still a lot are complaining
    Of course they dont extend gwe as it is their first ever route extension so they want to choose a route where they can start and see how it works

• Like Like x 9
  39. I'm totally impressed. Good points bad points.... Will have to wait until I've played Tsw3 to comment.

40. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I guess this is a fair comment, seems like route extensions were one of the most requested features? Perhaps people (me included) weren't expecting SEHS to be the first one, or maybe we wouldn't expect it to be one of the centrepieces of a brand new release, definitely needs a bit of introspection, that's why I said I might ponder some of these points later.
    Not sure what you were expecting from basically a knee jerk reaction from a stream and a FAQ article, sorry for not being a journalist I guess?

• Like Like x 1
  41. SHINO BAZ

Adding in extra locos from previous route isn't totally a bad thing as long as there at least 1 or 2 new locos with any new route as well.

42. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

Things I hope get included In the extension SESH ,
    1. Steam railtour
    2. Ashford depot - ecs moves to St Pancras and opposite.
    3. Ai freight at Ashford
    4. Ai southern services.
    5 realistic timetable

• Like Like x 3
  43. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

So, if I already own SEHS, want the upgraded version and the new German route, what do I buy? Where does it say I get the upgraded SEHS for free? Don’t care about steam or US routes.

44. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So wait...a few key questions:

1. Will TSW3 be the same as the TSW->TSW2 "upgrade"? Meaning i can play DLC routes i own in TSW2 in TSW3 or is a a fresh new start?

2. I hear about "upgraded" old routes for TSW3. Which ones? Only the two english ones (sos and SEHS). What about the newer german routes (the dresden ones or augsburg - munich). Playable in TSW3? Will be upgraded?

3. What will be upgraded in old routes? Better lighting and the new weather?

• Like Like x 1
  45. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

You get the German bundle, 35€ for the German route and the new core game, SEHS should transfer if you owned it previously

46. SHINO BAZ

I'm guessing SEHS might have worked better as a dlc route insted of a new game starter route.

47. DTG JD

The German Starter pack isn't available for pre-order, but will be available on launch.

• Like Like x 3
  48. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

A bit random, I know, but kudos for giving away "for free" the SEHS update, genuinely didn't see that coming. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  49. DTG JD

1. Yes. All will be available on Day 1 (small caveat is that SPG, SKA, BKL may not be available on Day 1 as they need to have separate store pages, we'll endavour to make it so though. Same with New Journeys).

2. Spirit of Steam and Southeastern High Speed.

3. Other TSW Compatible content (Previous Preserved Collection) will receive Dynamic Weather.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  50. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100% agree.
    Save game. Lighting. Sound. Were the three topics probably covered most after the JD leak. It's pointless having these longer routes if the save game is still broken as hell. So just answer the question, none of this stream rubbish - please.

• Like Like x 6