Initial Reaction/opinions About Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FD1003, Aug 9, 2022.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

TSW3 here's yet another new version of TSW xbox players will most likely rarely if ever see any dlc sales.At least we have one less issue to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

DTG JD Do we need to have TSW2 installed seperately and TSW3 and the routes will be seperate or can we have just one and play all routes in TSW3?

Edit: Sorry. I saw you were replying, so I tagged you, if its not allowed please delete it.

3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

So the older routes will only receive dynamic weather? What about the volumetric clouds, adaptive passenger clothing, new lighting etc?

4. 5cip

5cip Active Member

when i dont buy TSW 3 what i get for updates for TSW 2 ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trainman525

Trainman525 Well-Known Member

I don’t like that I have to pay yet again for items I have already paid for.

DTG once again penalising their loyal customers who buy routes and locos…

I own SoS, SEHS and the class 465. I will have to pay a total of £101.96 to get the equivalent of the deluxe edition that new players get for £44.99 with the discount. In what world is that fair?

It happened with GWB and with Dresden so isn’t the first time.

Seriously consider a discount for loyal customers that already own SEHS, SOS and class 465. Even if it was just 10% off the standard edition (deluxe gives me no benefit).

• Like Like x 17
  6. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

The deafening silence regarding the draw distance suggests to me that nothing has changed on that front. If this is the case then all the new lighting in the world won’t make a single bit of difference if it only goes 1/3rd of the way to the horizon.

To ask again, does the revamped lighting include realistic draw distance? Does it also address occlusions or lack of them in tunnels, cabs, passenger cabins etc.

A simple yes or no will do.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  7. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I reckon you are not a TSC player. There have been numerous times I have purchased a TSC next year upgrade for the routes even though I own a couple because it works out cheaper that way. The way I see it, $54 for early access and 2 new routes is a good deal.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 5cip

5cip Active Member

thats a good question because i dont need these routes what i already have i only want the new features like weather & lightning

• Like Like x 4
  9. Trainman525

Trainman525 Well-Known Member

I’m a TS classic player who has unfortunately bought Chatham Mainline 3 times so far…

• Like Like x 3
  10. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

It should be fairly obvious that route extensions are not happening. SEHS is only getting an extension because it's getting a new version for TSW3, and that new version will be the only version available for TSW3.

• Like Like x 3
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Due to the few number of likes of the initial post I get that not many people agree, but why? I am curious to know your opinion regarding TSW3 so far :)

12. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

THAT´s the big question I have for DTG: What about the TSW2 bugfixes?

• Like Like x 4
  13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Gone. Reduced to atoms.

Jokes apart, hopefully they won't be forgotten, especially the coupler/buffer thing that is still going on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Well it shouldn't be hard to guess just look how tsw2020 ended up and picture tsw2 in the same yard siding.

O btw i guarantee you tsw3 will join the siding club someday.

• Like Like x 5
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I wonder if sound reverb has made it into this version? And please don’t tell me to wait for the stream.

16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

If it's not on the roadmap... ;)

17. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

made the prediction before viewing. Disappointed we won't be getting a new UK route. A nod to extension is nice but I would've thought with releasing TSW3 we would've got 3 new routes. Not sure If I'll be jumping for this instantly, usually I would.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Allan

Allan Member

Overall very positive but 2 things I need answer for before I buy:
    1. Have the PS5 limited been fixed?
    2. Will there be dynamic timetable so the AI trains don’t drive like robots and arrive at time all the time so the tracks will be more random

19. deathbyteacup

deathbyteacup Member

I'm excited, honestly.

It's a little brutal that the UK is getting the same recycled units again, but the route extension to SEHS makes up for it (I'm excited) - hopefully, if all the tunnel lighting weirdness is also fixed, then it'll be a great experience.

And at the end of the day they have to get a lot done for a single release and, as much as people say they're being greedy, the reality is its not easy to keep the lights on, hundreds of staff on payroll, all the logistics of running a company like Dovetail, the reality is, a business needs to generate revenue to survive and thrive. Its understandable to a degree.

But compared to how TSW2 was handled, this is a huge improvement. Lots to love here.

• Like Like x 6
  20. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Will TSW3 use DX12 on PC?

21. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

You do realise that DTG managed that for a decade without resorting to making people pay £30 for biyearly "upgrades"?

• Like Like x 3
  22. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i'm only interested in German trains / routes, but i like commuter / S-Bahn style runs, so this German high speed route is of no interest to me at all from what i've read of it.

I have never even clicked on the american route that came with TSW2, and i never will play any american stuff, it's just not my thing at all,
    and i only played the underground route from the english content as that was the kind of driving i like, lots of stations to stop at and lots of concentration needed to keep to time.
    So have no interest in other uk train stuff, and even less interest in steam traction of any kind.

But with no option to just buy the TSW3 core update, i can't see a reason for me to spend any more money here now.

There would need to be a radical overhaul to the raildriver part of the game. allowing free re-assignment of inputs to train controls,
    or proper direct input / joystick access to keep me interested.

• Like Like x 4
  23. gazz292

AFAIK that limit is put in place by sony themselves, and not by any game makers, so its a console specific limitation, and not one that's easy to get around....

kinda like buying a phone that does not have an SD card slot, so you are stuck with the internal memory limit and not a lot you can do about it.

24. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

It's pretty much been rebuilt from the ground up, and offers a much deeper variety of gameplay. I understand it's not a 'new' route, but it's not a 'recycled' route.

(Copy/paste from the FAQs):
    • Extended from London St Pancras to Ashford Intl and from Gravesend to Dartford.
    • New lighting and dynamic weather effects.
    • The route now covers 89 miles (143 km) in total.
    • Ebbsfleet Station can be fully explored by taking the walkway across platforms.
    • Catenary and overhead lines have been overhauled to represent the route more accurately.
    • Enhanced signaling and safety systems (TPWS).
    • 5 new scenarios, bringing the total to 21.
    • The Class 465 is now included as standard and a refreshed Timetable.
    As ever, if you are dubious, I'd really recommend you check out the preview stream for the route as it'll be able to show the work that's gone into improving the route.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I really liked both the marketing of the last 24 hours and today's presentation, in interview format. By the way, I love to see Matt when he has that satisfied look on his face, it tells me that the team has done a good job and is proud of it.

Overall I'm happy, the dynamic weather was something the community had been asking for and we're finally going to be able to enjoy it. Also better lighting and longer routes, certainly everything that has been seen in the broadcast has pleased me a lot! Now we will have to see it in motion and especially the optimisation, because the performance of the game in general lately has left a lot to be desired.

The most disappointing thing for me is the fact that we don't get out of the usual three countries, so "World" makes less and less sense in the title, and also the lack of new rolling stock. We will only have ICE 1.

As for the routes, German is the one I'm most excited about, but Cajon Pass will also be a lot of fun if you like heavy American freight. SEHS is the most disappointing, especially for those of us who already have it with the 465 because we'll have to pay for it again with the standard edition. At least they could have included the Sheerness branch.

What is important for me from now on is to clarify what happens with the updates we are waiting for. Save problems would have to be sorted out if we are going to have longer routes. And the PS5 limit also urgently needs a solution because the number of DLC is increasing, as well as the size of them and the situation is getting close to
    become unsustainable. Let's see what they tell us in the next roadmap about all this because they told us that after SOS they were going to focus on fixing things when in reality it seems they have been focusing on the development of TSW 3. The game really needed a step back to gain momentum and if this hasn't happened and also, as expected, new bugs appear to accompany the new version... Houston, we could be in big trouble.

• Like Like x 6
  26. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

a.png

• Like Like x 1
  27. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

What I'm finding a bit odd about SEHS as the UK base route is that the end-of year stream had that as the #1 played route released in 2021 and the #4 route played in 2021 overall, behind only the three base routes included with the game. Seems like having a route so many people already own on the UK starter pack isn't going to do much for sales, as that will be the full starter pack price for just the core game and a route upgrade that would be free to current owners anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  28. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Where my head is at right now.

1) Recommend Specs Looks like I need to bite the bullet and either upgrade my GPU or invest in a gaming laptop, although Ive preordered & I'll see how it runs on my current set up first and then decide as ideally I didn't want to invest in a laptop for another 12 months but at the same time don't want to burn money on a GPU which I'll only use for 12 months or so. BUT the extra spec means Id expect a far smoother experience then what we are seeing with TSW2, if they get this right 7/10

2) The German Route - initially I was like meh just a HS run like LGV but then they mentioned suburban traffic at each end and I was like OK that's fairly decent, THEN they mentioned night time freights and the need to pull in to let ICE traffic through and I though wow this sounds like a really good route, although I did have to google where Würzburg. But then I read "DB BR 146.2, Dostos and DB BR 442 (AI Only)" hope its just the 442 which is AI only and the 146.2 & Dostos are drivable for variety. I'll score it a 7/10 initially on the assumption that all 3 are AI only but would climb to 9/10 if the first 2 can be driven and if done well this could be a 10/10.

3) Cajon Pass - I fear this could just be another Sherman Hill, full throttle up and a slow technical descent down which will get boring real fast once mastered (for me - I realize others will love this route) but hopefully they will have learnt their mistakes from SH and offer some interesting service patterns and variety - hopefully we get to see some UP layers as well. 5/10 right now but the jury still out.

4) SEHS High Speed - very underwhelmed by this route if I am honest, not sure why we needed a 2nd HS run included in TSW3 and seems an "easier" option to get a 3rd route ready for release rather than any other reason. If a brand new route was out of the question then I would much have preferred an upgrade to GWE with full electrification and a few branches for more commuter traffic if I'm honest. A (in my opinion a generous 3/10). AND WHY NO EUROSTAR?

5) Dynamic Weather - if done well then this could be really good but if it turns out every run includes a heavy downpour and its "too" dynamic then its going to get very predictable very quickly. Perhaps in the medium to long term an option slider could be included so we can vary the probability of changing conditions. 7/10 but again jury still out.

6) Training Centre - a very positive and much needed addition and hopefully will result in greater number of loco DLC being released both by DTG and also 3rd parties. 10/10

7) Seasonal timetables will vary the volume and timing of services based on the season. Fabulous idea and will offer differing experiences. 9/10.

Overall 6.8/10 what could have been a very positive announcement dragged down by what is in my opinion a very poor route selection in SEHS extended.

• Like Like x 7
  29. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Great post. Thanks for going more in-depth. I'd say I pretty much agree - regarding the german routes yeah freight seems excellent... but the idea of driving a BR185 really makes me sad, even if I hate the idea based on principle I might consider buying the awful BR187 and get the mods needed to make it decent, hopefully the BR155 and 143 are going to be there. Especially the 143 with its underwhelming performance might make the freight services even more interesting.

Regarding the DoStos and Talent I fear they might just be filler to make the termini look busy - might be wrong though. I will hold ultimate judgment until we learn about layers and substitution.If the ICE1 can be used on older routes, and you can use all sorts of locos for freight (and possible passenger) than it would be 11/10. 12/10 if the BR403 gets an upgrade ;)

Honestly don't care about Cajon Pass, I still need to recover from the disappointment from SMH before buying another American modern freight route.

Regarding SEHS again I'll hold judgment until I see the new timetable and more importantly if the trains are updated, a 375 being brought to the level of the BML 377, and perhaps some improvements to the 395 would sweeten the pill, a new timetable with real timings would be very welcome as well.

• Like Like x 1
  30. gazz292

The thing that would make the dynamic weather work... would be real time weather.
    Something i've mentioned before, as it's a feature i love in Omsi,

So hopefully that is the next step, read the current weather conditions maybe every 10 or so minutes from the airport weather stations (METARS) near where your train is in the game, and the weather is transitioned to follow what it really is at this point in time for that part of the route.

• Like Like x 3
  31. globbits73

globbits73 Member

I hope the training centre gets expanded over time, and isn't just a dumping ground for the existing "look up, look down, press this lever to make train go quick, pull that level to make train stop" tutorials - having a dedicated test track is a great opportunity to set up scenarios that can teach the extra stuff like the safety systems or signalling (and not just a youtube link to Matt's 7 hour powerpoint), or even ending up with "Gran Turismo" style driving licenses e.g. "stop this train from 90km/h with 1m accuracy to get gold", "navigate this section of signals without speeding", etc, to help learn the fine details of how each train handles.

Apart from that, I was also secretly hoping that the reason they kept dragging out the GWE upgrade was because it getting a proper refresh instead of getting DTG's office in higher detail, but ah well, the rest of TSW3 looks exciting. :)

• Like Like x 4
  32. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG JD

Will TSW3 use DX12 on PC?

33. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Personally the improvements to the weather and lighting look promising. The longer routes are promising and hopefully set the standard for future DLC.

I am underwhelmed by the UK route, somewhere in another part of the country would have been preferable In my opinion SEHS should have gone to Ashford in the first place, I would have preferred the classic lines to have been extended back into London but I understand that would have been a lot of work. Still I will likely get it. Still it is a first route extension which I would have thought would have pleased many but it seems suddenly that it is a bad thing for some people!

The German route looks like it could be interesting, I am afraid I am not a fan of USA freight routes so Cajon pass has no interest for me, it is looking good though.

I am more interested now to see how things develop after release, are we going to get a better scenario planner (one worthy of the name), are we going to get any more DLC for certain routes, e.g. more steam for SOS, a class 700 for BML, something else for Cathcart. Or, will they be quietly forgotten.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

So, if this is a rebuild, does this mean that there won’t be extensions to other routes? Or will we see more routes being rebuilt?

35. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

the bottom of the barrel as well and truly been scraped

• Like Like x 2
  36. redrev1917

How does that work with time zones? Say Im sat in the UK at 8am but running Cajon Pass on a 12pm service, the real life weather would be based on a local time of midnight so its going to be much colder then it would be if I was running at noon?

37. gazz292

ahh yeah... that's where it'd need to either read past weather reports, or you can only have live weather working when you are driving a service near the local real time.

38. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Like it does in MSFS.

I am not 100% sure but I think MSFS uses both "real time" weather (generally updated every 30 or 15 minutes) and weather forecasts (+ other weather services that give more information that a simple METAR API would) to extrapolate "continuously variable" mostly correct live weather.

Regarding the time it gets info from local weather stations so it's the weather there now, no history or anything fancy like that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Cloadmcally

Cloadmcally Active Member

On a way less important note, why the sudden trainz-ification of the logo, they do look alike, the 3 in the logo even looks like a Z. Much rather the old less cartoney logo.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    download.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  40. deathbyteacup

deathbyteacup Member

All I can say is, as someone who works in the video game industry, it's not that easy right now, and now isn't ten years ago.

I don't think they're struggling by any sense of the word but, I don't buy into this concept that you shouldn't be able to generate revenue from your efforts when most people don't appreciate the sheer amount that goes into it.

Add into the fact that a train simulator is, by video game standards, niche by it's audience and there are limited avenues to generate revenue.

• Like Like x 9
  41. redrev1917

Big question for tomorrow is Rail Driver Support - any possibility of us being able to map the RD ourselves?

• Like Like x 4
  42. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I’m curious to know if TSW 3 routes layers are going to be downgraded on gen 8 consoles. I wasn’t expecting SEHS to get a redo. So I guess progression won’t transfer over like with TSW 1 to TSW 2. This is the reason why I stopped collecting, which is something that I like to do first before doing the timetable and scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Well, I did not see this coming at all! Who knew TSW 3 was imminent? It’s not like a certain person (*cough* JD *cough*) gave the game away too soon or anything.

Anyway, now that one of the worst kept secrets in gaming has seen the light of day, I am, on the whole, impressed. I have so many questions though, but I’m going to give the team a chance to answer those in the coming days and weeks.

The footage we saw in the game is intriguing. There was no noticeable scenery pop-in and the draw distance seemed much greater than it currently is - even on PS5 - so I’m hopeful the world is going to be significantly more immersive as a result.

The fact SEHS has been rebuilt and extended is very interesting. It is no doubt one of the more interesting routes in TSW 2, but there were a lot of scenery issues that were so obvious, a blind man could see them a 100 feet away. The fact the signalling and everything has been redone and we now have even more fast and slow line mileage is going to give the route a whole new lease of life. I hope feedback has been carefully considered in terms of SEHS scenery so that the QE2 bridge looks appropriately sized and the notorious high-speed fencing on the line is more true to real life.

186km for the German route is phenomenal and will make high speed ICE 1 and ICE 3 runs so much more fun. Currently, just as you get into the routes with the ICE 3, they come to an end. Really being able to stretch the legs on these trains is going to be a totally different and fun experience. The more complex freight operations of a night sound intriguing too. I just hope night lighting, which was not mentioned whatsoever, has been worked on too.

Glad to see BNSF and Cajon Pass in TSW 2, but I am quite disappointed it’s another freight only route. I don’t hate freight routes, but US passenger routes are sorely lacking.

My biggest concern so far are the PS5 trophy/DLC limits. No mention of those, but there is still plenty of time for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  44. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Important question not addressed anywhere yet: Will there be drink vending machines to help wash down the Pringles? All the salty snacks have me a bit parched.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t think there is any similarity there at all to be fair. Both logos are distinctive enough so as not to be confused.

• Like Like x 2
  46. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I already own all the DLC except some Rivet products. But I have no problem paying for it again I still get 2 routes for the price of 1 and 1/2 and an upgraded SEHS with the standard edition.

47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It isn't a route extension. It's a route, just longer than the old version which it replaces

• Like Like x 1
  48. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I can just say that I'm realy happy to finally see the implementation of dynamic weather and where the overcast is overcast, right now we have sunshine in full rain... Including SEHS is ok for me, I already own the TSW2 version and really enjoy this route because of the variety (HS/urban commuter/rural/railtours/freight), but what I would like to see and what doesn't seem to be included is Sheerness branch with Class 466.
    The german route is a bit "nah", as there will not be any driveable local services, but man, the ICE1 (will it layer in somewhere else in the future?) and the length of ther route itself are stark pros. I will enjoy it for sure. Cajon pass? IDK, USA freight isn't really my thing, I'm not playing SPG nor SH very often, I don't own HSC yet, but maybe it will get more interesting than before because of the new TSW3 features? And... 6th of September is my birthday ;D

• Like Like x 3
  49. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well if that much work went into it, with respect why not use that effort to have produced something completely new? Part of the WCML or ECML as much requested (any era, not fussed), or radically different like North Wales Coast, Newport to Shrewsbury or the Settle & Carlisle? Otherwise it just seems to confirm the narrow focus on SE England once more, a flat uninteresting piece of railway with the chance for the kiddies to go, "Ooh mum look I'm doing 140 MPH." It just looks to me as if DTG have gone for the low hanging fruit with this one.

• Like Like x 8
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm afraid they're just AI-only mobile scenery, to populate the stations at either end. The SKW is a purely high-speed track; regionals and locals aren't allowed on it so it's ICE only.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1