Road Map Train Sim World 3 - Roadmap Part 1 10th August 2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Grailer

Grailer Active Member

Clearly my opinion, but this is DTG as you know it.
    Support is only for things that bring money and if you have promised a fix ... then you are suddenly no longer sure whether it is only for the new or also for the game where he was announced.

• Like Like x 15
  2. xboxachievementgroup

xboxachievementgroup Member

I've been doing this since the release of Rush Hour where the one Achievement doesn't work.

As of now, I will not only buy TSW 3 with the fix, but also all DLCs with Achievements from last year.
    And believe me, I'm certainly not the only one who waits until everything works before he invests money and then can not complete a game.

• Like Like x 11
  3. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

That's covered in the roadmap - the "solution" is to disable saves entirely in TSW3 and then reenable them on a per-route basis. TSW2 does not appear to be getting a fix.

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

How in the world can DTG make longer routes but the save game feature is still broken. Not everybody will have time to do these long runs so it's a shame they still haven't fixed this issue

• Like Like x 10
  5. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

It would require a rebake for sure... but rebuilt sounds as dramatic and extensive as "relaying track". I don't believe it is, particuarly if the clouds are based on the same plugin DTG used before (Ultra Dyanmic Skies).

And besides the point, the whole reason pres crew existed was to see how feasible these changes would be. Scrapping it on day 1 isn't a good look.

• Like Like x 4
  6. tallboy7648

It was but I guess DTG wanted them to change their priorties

• Like Like x 3
  7. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

I just saw ALL future tsw2 dlc is now cancelled? Profile transfer to ps5 from ps4 cancelled? wtf.

• Like Like x 9
  8. tachionicantitel83

tachionicantitel83 Member

That's exactly what I do, too. My shopping cart is full of DLCs and I've been waiting for a year for the Achievement fix. :D

I certainly won't get TSW 3 before TSW 2 is completed.

• Like Like x 13
  9. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

The new lighting would really benefit every route it's crucial to have. These things should of been looked at in a meeting.
    That great Dynamic weather is in place but the older route's need the lighting , Volumetric clouds , extreme weather system. Every route should have these new features implemented. It all take time but that's the whole point of preservation crew and they do a fantastic job keeping route's fresh modern and up to date.

• Like Like x 6
  10. ottselmaster

This is me but with preserved collection AND bug fixes. Tiny chance of ANY of that happening now. TSW2 will just be quietly snuffed out.

• Like Like x 12
  11. tallboy7648

DTG and unfair/bad business practices. Not surprising really. What they just said will just validates some people's opinion.

People shouldn't have to buy a route they don't want or content they already own to access the core game in my opinion

• Like Like x 10
  12. Officer2506

Officer2506 Well-Known Member

Turning off the save-game functionality seems to be a bit critical to some players. Unreal Engine Crashes and Errors (especially related to AMD graphics) are still present here and there.

If we cannot save regularly and the game is crashing for example 5 minutes in front of the destination, we need to play the whole 1 hour trip again. Red lights and SPADing was very rarerly present (at least on PC).

Saving journeys that last longer than 25-30 minutes is important and should be a high priority.

• Like Like x 15
  13. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I do like the idea of the Training Center. I assume that having it all centralized will also make fixes easier, like if steps are accidentally left out. And actual hands-on training for safety systems and signals would be most welcome.

This is nice.

This, too.

Admit it, this was implemented specifically for Matt and Nat, wasn't it?

Random service selection is great! And with rerolls.

Quick suggestion: The ability to jump right to the next service on the timetable at the time and place where your last one ended, allowing you to chain a full work shift together.

Ouch. While on the one hand, deferring to caution is appreciated, longer routes + no save could be troublesome. I've personally been okay with the two-hour freight runs on 50-mile routes, but are we now looking at three hours for 85 miles? At some point, the need to do other things between work and bedtime might mean simply not playing when I normally would. Not your ideal situation, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 3
  14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Can you point to a source for this? If true quite unacceptable. I would rather have a save game with a chance of working than not at all. Not everyone has an hour + to play through a complete run or scenario. Definitely a game/deal breaker and DTG should not even contemplate putting TSW3 out without a functional save system.*

*Especially as we know how "route by route" will actually unfold - months if even done at all.

• Like Like x 6
  15. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

And again, that's absolutely fair enough.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tallboy7648

The save function was broken anyways. Been like that for 5 years. It wasn't until a thread that was made several months ago which led to backlash was when DTG started to take the issue more seriously.

I am all in favor for longer routes. Whilst I may have the time to do 2-3+ hour long services, not everybody does

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  17. JesseBlue

JesseBlue Active Member

I was really excited about a fresh start with TS3 and didn't mind paying the price for that.
    Just to read this now...

THAT is absolutely INSANE!!!
    I mean, I did not expect the save game issue to be STILL existing in TSW3 !?!

How come DTG is unable to solve a standard thing like a save game in all these years and now you even have the same issue in your newest game and DISABLE saving altogether??
    On the longest routes ever released, no save option??

You must be kidding, RIGHT????

• Like Like x 16
  18. OldVern

And as I just indicated above, removing the save game when fixing it should have been a No1 priority of the development team is quite appalling. If it's broke, don't fix it - take it away!

• Like Like x 6
  19. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Direct quote from the roadmap:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. OldVern

It smacks of gross incompetence and if I had the slightest shred of relenting and buying TSW3, that is now gone.

• Like Like x 11
  21. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

A bit irony eh, they improve the weather system, the lighting system, the train physics/behavior, adding a volumetric sky which are in my opinion quite an extensive work to do. But for a thing as simple as save game feature, they couldn't solve it for all this time.

• Like Like x 6
  22. johncoaltrain

johncoaltrain Member

Overall, excited for the new release and have pre-ordered. But echoing the earlier comments and concerns about the lack of save function vs. the monster new routes.

Unless it has an impact on development, I’d almost rather roll the dice with a save function that works 70% of the time. Those are better odds than me finding 3-4 uninterrupted hours to play regularly. Appreciate that may not be the case for the majority, though.

• Like Like x 4
  23. DTG JD

Just to clarify on Save Game - it's not a simple issue to fix (we've been working on it for a while now), and rather than provide something that were temperamental (ultimately leading to more frustration if it doesn't work and you've committed time to a service or scenario), we'd rather disable it temporarily so that you don't experience that frustration. Even if it works 75% of the time (random number, no science behind it), that's still a 1 in 4 chance it won't.

It's obviously not something we'd choose to do, but we believe it's the best thing to do whilst we can solve the issue. It remains a priority for the team.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. Officer2506

Officer2506 Well-Known Member

Save-games have always worked quite well for me. I've rarely had problems with it. But game crashes still occure frequently.

• Like Like x 1
  25. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I hope this will change

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

They haven't worked for many players unfortunately hence it's removal

• Like Like x 1
  27. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response according save game issue, JD. And sorry for my understatement about stating save game is a simple issue to fix.

28. ottselmaster

Why wasent TSW3 delayed until TSW2 is FULLY FIXED and then can go out on a high? Why just give up on it and go "Heres a shiny new version for £40!"

• Like Like x 11
  29. OldVern

Have to disagree with this - the solution is not to remove it but to actually crack on and fix it. IMHO you should pull TSW3 from release until it is fixed and working (preferably with more than one slot) or put back the existing algorithm with the caveat it may or may not restore the game properly. With the possible exception of Zusi, just about every other train sim/game features a working and reliable save system.

As I said this has turned possible relenting and buying into a no sale for me, until it's fixed.

And as others have remarked, temporary where DTG is concerned is a rather loose term. Like other so called fixes we could be waiting around 2 to 3 years then suddenly TSW4 is announced, with a great new save game feature. If DTG is even in business by then.

• Like Like x 14
  30. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

The preservation crew was a noble ambition, but in their near two year existence they have not yet even gotten around to updating all the old skyboxes, let alone updating all the old locos for the livery designer, a number of their big updates were received with near open revolts (remember the first big updates to LIRR and RT?), and I am pretty sure nobody ever said "thanks for spending 18 months installing moving level crossings I will never see". I don't doubt they have improved the older routes, but I do doubt whether the length of time spent has been worth it. When they were announced, I think many expected 6 months for updates, not nearly two years. And we do not even know whether the volumetric clouds will look all that good yet, I'm gonna say now I do not think the clouds or the new lighting are good enough to spend two years waiting for.

The opportunities represented by the training centre and de-linking locos from routes are more exciting to me than years of waiting for haphazard, piecemeal improvements to old routes.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

I don't quite get the logic here. The roadmap says the BR 420 is still coming, but only for TSW3. But it's for München-Augsburg, which is a TSW2 route, and that will not get updated to include any TSW3 features as far as I understand. Why do I need TSW3 to use something made for a TSW2 route? Or is the requirement für HMA gone with TSW3 because of the "Training Center"?

• Like Like x 5
  32. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

For me (and I'm sure alot of other people)... it's been significantly different. They brought significant upgrades to GWE, ECW, NTP. Heck I hated TVL before, and with Adam and crew... I've been somewhat enjoying it. And now I have to accept that as part of my collection, all my old purchases are now left to be deprecated?

I have 18 routes and about 7 locomotives to the rough average of £610. And I've just been told they are now irrelevant in the grand future of TSW...

• Like Like x 6
  33. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Cool roadmap, just a few things:
    • I‘m a bit concerned about the future of the Preservation Crew. I understand that the team will no longer work on bringing existing routes up to date once the updates that are currently being worked on are released. Does this mean existing DLCs will be completely abandoned in the future, or can we still expect regular bug fixes and minor improvements (such as the long-awaited Skyhook BR 187 updates)?
    • Could you reconsider completely disabling the Save Game system? I’m part of the silent majority of players that doesn’t really have any issues with it. Works like 95% of the time for me, so losing it would be a serious hindrance. Maybe add a disclaimer that the feature may not work as intended and a fix is being worked on.
    • I hope the cost of DLCs is being factored into the new philosophy of separating routes and locos. If a new route requires multiple existing loco DLCs to work correctly and satisfactory, the price should therefore be reduced significantly. I hope future routes still include all the rolling stock players need to fully enjoy them. One thing I love about TSW is that the routes give you a complete package, which can then be further expanded with layers. I hope this positive aspect is not lost in the future.

• Like Like x 14
  34. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Lots of good info on the roadmap here:

Very excited about the 2019-based timetable for extended SEHS. Should be much livelier! Also signalling improvements/approach control.

The Wurzburg route sounds a lot more interesting than i originally thought, and the night/day service pattern contrast could be really cool if the lighting improvements are up to the task.

The info on Cajon was a little light, but i do like the details on the ES44C4- it's not just a reskin of the HSC GEVO. Would love to hear more about timetable, operations- will there be drivable (UP has trackage rights on at least somr of the sub) and/or AI UP services

Save game news is pretty disappointing tbh. I hope they can figure out a solution soon.

• Like Like x 3
  35. DTG JD

• The 187 improvements are still planned and falls into the 'existing Pres Crew work' category for both games. Don't have a time-frame though.
    • I believe a decision has been made at this point. Whilst it's a complex fix, it's one of the priorities, because it's far from ideal.
    • I don't have an answer at this stage for this (I'll find out, but unlikely to be confirmed until we 'do' the first one), but I've logged the feedback. Thanks for the comment.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. DBklaus

DBklaus Active Member

upload_2022-8-10_19-10-36.png

• Like Like x 19
  37. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

Why are you carrying TSW2 issues forward into TSW3 instead of just fixing stuff beforehand to ensure both games are to the best possible standard? Sorry to sound a bit party-poopy and all that but I was of the impression that TSW3 was going to be the 'dawning of a new era' and not a continuation of the vague timelines and general uncertainty we've had to endure over the past couple of years.

You know, I was super-excited about TSW3 this morning but as the day's worn on and more and more things have come to light, such is my level of disappointment the only positive that I can genuinely take forward is that I'll be able to play it for free on Gamepass.

• Like Like x 14
  38. JesseBlue

JesseBlue Active Member

It's absolutely ridiculous!!!
    Every developer in the world manages to have a save game in their game!!
    And DTG has the audacity to release their new game without one because they can't be bothered or are too incompetent to fix this after so many years ?!?!

I am without words right now having learned that!!!
    Good thing I did not preorder yet!

[removed - JD - language] DTG, fix this!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  39. tallboy7648

I am glad I don't got to spend a dime on this game as well. If I had to, I wouldn't buy it

• Like Like x 3
  40. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Coming back from hiatus here to check in on the grand news. I have no problem with TSW3, since I would still be able to use my collection with it (thus not needing to have 2 games on the hard drive), and dynamic wather is enough an improvement to them to warrant that. Would of course be cool to have newer vehicles integrated in older routes timetables as well as the newer features, but I can imagine that to be a huge amount of work, so I would never expect that.

The only thing I actually take issue to is the save thingy. I am absolutely happy for everyone who has no issues with pressing save, but I learned quite early in my TSW2020 days (and continuing in TSW2 of course), that either saving breaks the run, or if not that, loading said save will. If I had to guess I would have to say that easily 90% of me trying to save the game either broke it immediately (simply pressing save caused instant red lights in some occasions and places) or had hidden surprises for me in store (like saving on sand patch, returning the next day, ascending the mountain for further 30 min and finding the route to the top blocked by an AI asleep, or a red signal at the final station after 45 minutes of drive on a service that does not act up when not saving).

Now they release even longer routes but they have not even doubled down on fixing the save game option, it is hilarious :D
    It is just so sad because I would be interested in playing longer runs like 2 1/2 hour long sand patch grade runs, as I like the route and the locos, but heck is it hard to find the time and will to sit through one complete sitting, especially after an 8 hour work day... I just wanna load that thing up, climb the mountain for 30 minutes or so, save the game and come back to it the next day.
    So as hyped as I am for the brilliant ICE 1 as well as the extended southeaster High speed, which is an absolute favorite of mine, I guess I will have to pass on TSW3 until we get some uplifting and promising news in that regard...:(

• Like Like x 7
  41. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

The quick and informative response is much appreciated, thank you JD!

42. trainsandbricks

trainsandbricks Member

To the Routemap stream, what exactly is the motto of Train Sim World 3 again?

A: Master the Achievement Shitstorm
    B: Master the Moneymaking Machine
    C: Master not to Fix TSW 2
    D: Master the Machine

I'm confused as to what exactly DTG is up to yet to disappoint customers. :(

• Like Like x 9
  43. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I understand the reasoning for removing the save function, however I am disappointed. Unlike most users (apparently) I have had very few issues using the save feature and it has come in handy on long-haul services on Clinchfield or Sand Patch, for example. I'm going to sorely miss it when Cajon releases.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  44. tallboy7648

Yet the company chose to neglect this for several years until recently. The company chose to make longer routes knowing that the save game has yet to be fixed. (I am in favor of longer routes but still...) The company choose to remove it even though there are some who haven't been affected by this. The company could've chose to put a disclaimer saying that it may not work properly but we are working on a fix but chose not too.

Need I go on?

• Like Like x 12
  45. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

This is exactly the same as for DLC that was released in TSW2 for TSW2020 routes such as the, BR 363, BR G6, BR 101 and Diesel Legends pack.

I am sure I have spent a similar amount, and never once did I expect my purchases to be updated forever, nor do I consider what I own to be 'irrelevant' because it won't be. Do I expect a route from 3 years ago to be fundamental to the future of TSW? No. Do I want it to be? Also no. I want to see what new stuff DTG comes up with, not see more and more of their resources being poured in to keeping old content 'fresh', it's an impossible ask given the architecture of the game anyway. Besides, at this point, new clouds and lighting for a route like GWE is literally not adding any quality of life to the game anyway, it's issues are now and will always be its length and lack of service variety, that is not something that will be improved with preservation crew updates to weather and lighting, it will require either a better scenario planner for people to make their own extensive timetables (which would probably apply to the route as exists anyway so long as you own TSW3), or a complete rebuild and extension, which I would expect to pay near full price for.

46. games4achievements

games4achievements Member

Let's just hope that tomorrow there will be answers from DTG and maybe some conciliatory words.

Ultimately, this announcement is so far anything but a success. In sum, more people are angry or feel ignored with their TSW 2 problems.

This could have been done better. Small companies like DTG live from the customers, new routes alone bring no money if they are bought less.

• Like Like x 5
  47. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I think those are literally QoL improvements.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  48. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts - Translation = "we've already taken your money so you don't count" - No doubt these updates will disappear into the same black hole that the upgraded Bakerloo timetable (that was promised on the day of release and has never appeared). Why should we believe DTG, when you told us the "summer DLC break" was to prioritise these bug fixes FOR TSW2.

Also chuckling at the "save game" section which translates to "we cant fix it, so we are just going to turn it off" - great!

• Like Like x 12
  49. DANtheWALLY

DANtheWALLY Active Member

Haha yes. All that beautiful new weather and lighting you see won't be on anything from tsw2/tsw2020 apart from sehs and sos

• Like Like x 3
  50. JesseBlue

JesseBlue Active Member

I was committed to pre-ordering TSW3 (as I wrote in another thread). It sounded great and promised a fresh start with leaving the many bugs of TSW2 behind.
    But this sounds like you STILL have not solved even the most important issues of the past in a brand-new release!!
    How can this even be, you had the chance for a fresh start and a good first impression, and now this?!

I understand this seems to be a complex issue, but seemingly every other developer manages to have a working save game, so it is not something otherworldly to expect this.
    And it goes on for years!!
    Seriously, this is NOT acceptable!
    Especially on a game with the longest routes yet!

• Like Like x 5