Tsw3 For Free... Sort Of (discussion)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So here's a crazy idea... TSW3 for free...

Now that I got your attention (hopefully) let me go into a bit more detail with this. And no, this is not the crazy "DTG, give us everything for free" kind of thread, more on that later.

(disclaimer: perhaps someone proposed this briefly somewhere in a comment, but the forums are wild now, so let's separate it)

Let me start by presenting this:
    [​IMG]
    Most of you have probably seen it, and if by any chance not, this is the table of TSW3 options you can get. Right away, we can see there is no bundle of routes that are completely stuck to the title. You don't have to own the trio of base routes like with TSW2, the only backbone being the Training Center.

And Training Center is the main thing is thread is about. It is a pillar of TSW3, it has all the new features, and it is also a sandbox.

So the idea is for this alone to be completely free along with a couple of trains, let's say ICE3, Class 465/9, and BNSF SD40-2. Not ICE1 or the C4 GEVO, so the "juicy" stuff still has to be paid for. (If you own TSW2 DLCs, you'd already have a lot more trains to put there)
    upload_2022-8-10_19-28-47.png
    With this, everyone could switch to TSW3 as the backbone of it would be free and enable you to move all your DLCs to a new title. Along with that, it would also provide a great demo for players interested in buying the game, where they could simply get the taste of the platform as a whole. Just a test circle, three different trains, and you can do whatever you want.

Following yesterday's announcement, there has been a lot of backlash surrounding the fixes that might no longer get released for TSW2 as the focus simply shifts to the new title. While with this idea it still remains an issue to an extent, everybody would be able to keep up thanks to a free version of the newest title even if they wouldn't have any of the new routes apart from the training center. If you're only interested in the routes and their bugs, hopping on the new title for free would possibly solve a lot of problems.

There are a couple of issues with this proposition though:
    - at this point, if such a thing would be done, the presented pricing table falls apart to an extent as the routes are now sold on their own for a higher price because the Training Center is no longer part of any pack. Let alone changing the marketing after it is announced.
    - upgrades for SEHS and SOS would now be completely free - while probably very much OK in the case of SOS, a lot of work clearly went into the SEHS upgrade, and I completely understand DTG not being very keen on handing it out for free, in the current state you have to get at least some other paid package to receive the upgrades. In the case of SEHS this free base, therefore, creates a bit of a problem.
    - handing out anything for free is always a double-edged sword to an extent, work has been put into new features, and now all you would be selling are the routes and rolling stock as everyone would be able to get the base TSW3 as a platform for old DLCs and future content. On the other hand, a free demo could potentially reach a wider audience by showing the game and its mechanics only providing them with rolling stock that has been out for some time, so the brand new stuff still has to be paid for. Short-term you could definitely see it as a monetary loss for the company (especially the SEHS situation) in order to somewhat satisfy the community (similar to Preserved Collection during TSW2 launch), but in long-term the community stays healthier and there is a potential to reach wider audience.
    - achievements in TSW2... while I myself don't at all care about them, there is a surprisingly large portion of players passionate about them. Just handing out "keys to TSW3" doesn't solve the problem of TSW2 achievements. At the very least, if this idea is to come true (and even if not), it needs to transfer achievement progress from TSW2. The achievements are the same, and the UE version is the same, yet people will once again lose progress because of a new title.

I am personally interested in the new title primarily because of the new routes, but I definitely understand the frustration of other people in the community as this frankly starts to become an annual problem. Not every single problem can be fixed, but running away from them with the new title and possibly locking some fixes behind a TSW3 paywall is not good. So far, it seems fixes will get released for both titles, but the priorities are clearly visible (and to an extent understandable, the business has to make money). But I think there could always be a middle ground where we could meet - DTG releasing a demo-ish part of the game for free, allowing easy migration to the new title while the community cuts them a little slack.

But maybe I am entirely out of the loop, so feel free to throw in your opinion.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i have absolutely no interest in american or english routes, and steam traction is of no interest to me in any simulator .... ever.

I like only German routes and (German) electric trains running passenger services, hence i own all the German content for TSW2 except the G6 shunter... because shunting isn't my thing either, nor the BR187... because it's so crap (the BR182, 185 etc freight loco's i bought just to add in more AI services to see when driving the passenger trains)

What i do love are commuter trains / S-Bahn services, lots of stations to stop at, a tight schedule to try and keep to with very little room to make up lost time etc, i like to be challenged when i drive the train.

So personally i can't see the point of high speed routes ... leave the station, get an LZB signal and let the train drive itself for the next 100 or so km whilst i read farcebook on my phone, then stop at the end station, having had green lights all the way... meh!

so, ATM there is nothing that will tempt me into getting TSW3:

I don't want the German high speed route... as it's just ICE trains or freight at night,
    i don't want the uk route, nor the american route, and defo do not the steam route.

But i am kinda interested to see how TSW3 runs with the TSW2 routes with the new lighting etc, but i'm not paying £30 to find this out, and ending up with a route that does not interest me and i won't use.

But there is no option to get TSW3 with just the training center thing, and whilst i don't think it should be free, DTG want to keep on being a multi million pound company after all,
    i would pay around £15 or so for the core update stuff and training centre (As thats needed for the new separation of loco and route)

But the way it is now, i will just have to ignore TSW3, and either wait for it to be in a sale for next to nothing, or wait for the next German DLC to come out that hopefully has local passenger operations.

• Like Like x 3
  3. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Agree with this as I am in a similar boat as I wouldn't touch the german or american routes with a barge pole and already own southeastern highspeed and so don't really want to pay for again. I will definitely get one of the 30 quid packs but don't know which one yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I've already embarrassed myself on the roadmap discussion thread for a similar-ish idea.

Your idea is pretty cool, there should have been more flexibility in the plans available IMO. I hope they will change how to get into TSW3 in the future.

Having the TestTrack and Training Centre for free is an interesting idea I fully support, perhaps accompanied by a small fee if you want to get "TSW3 proper"?

I guess they want to make enough money from it, I don't think a free update to TSW3, even without any the launch routes will ever happen. But a cheaper option to only get the core game without any of the DLC should have been considered.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I am not in favour of free things, because behind them there are almost always practices that end up being detrimental to the consumer. I'd rather they set a price and if I think it's fair, I'll pay it.
    For me the price is good and I will be happy to pay it for the hard work they have done. These guys need to be paid their wages!

Yesterday I was a little upset that I have to pay SEHS again if I want the other two routes, but seeing the work they have done on this route, with Joe building the new schedule I think it's going to be awesome.
    45 € for 3 routes and hundreds of miles, with all the new improvements and additions that are going to give me dozens of hours of fun. How much does it cost per hour? I spent more money yesterday having dinner in a restaurant and, pardon the rudeness, I've already shat it out today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Whatever units would be included with the Training Centre (excuse me, Center) would end up being duplicates when the routes proper are purchased. I know from my vast collection of identical (yet separate) DoStos that such a practice is not ideal.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  7. matt#4801

This is very odd and confused me a little as DTG are an English company so you would have thought they would spell it correctly.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Get over yourself, my friend.. The world is bigger than one country. DTG is an international corporation that wouldn't exist without purchasers from all over the world. Many of us spell it that way, either is correct, just like most of us write kilometer rather than kilometre.
    " You say tomayto and I say tomarto. " ;);)

• Like Like x 1
  9. matt#4801

I was more saying it is odd and quite rare for people in England to spell it the american way and wasn't meant to be a dig at any other country or nation. Sorry if I did offend you though but I can assure you I was being inquisitive.
    On the kilometre issue my solution is to use this thing called miles;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well if they're going with rolling stock being disconnected from routes, that wouldn't be the case. The units would have the Training Centre/er as a home route and would "layer" onto the proper routes if bought. That's at least what I understood from the mechanic they've introduced.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Oh, I was being somewhat facetious about the spelling, no offence meant or taken. I've made several jocular posts about this, though some people on the forum have taken it much too seriously.

Blame stujoy for raising the matter. Judging by the number of likes he's getting, I can't tell whether people are amused or he's struck a vein of jingoism among the Brits in the forum. :D:D

Anyway, time to move on

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive no problem with the pricing. There have been many threads around price vs route length. My proposal would be rather than to have people feel they have to purchase a dlc they may not want. Why not add the training center and core game to say, the next 9 months or so worth of dlc. So there is atleast a variety of options perhaps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1