Gen 8 Performance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by junior hornet, Aug 10, 2022.

1. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Given the increased minimum specs for the PC version of TSW3 and that the Xbox is based on PC technology, I’m worried that performance on Xbox One and PS4 will be seriously affected.

They have said that it will run on Gen 8 but haven’t said how well, or even whether it has been tested for performance on these machines. Will graphics or timetables be downgraded? Is it going to run like a donkey?

At least I have Game Pass so will be able to to test it myself before purchasing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think you have to be realistic that when the pc specs have jumped how they have you’re getting low draw distances , reduced resolutions, reduced timetables. We’re at that tipping point of them shaking gen 8s hand in the next 18months and thanking them for attending in all but words

• Like Like x 5
  3. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I hope they'll show us train sim world 3 on gen 8

• Like Like x 2
  4. junior hornet

I wouldn’t bet on it but you can be sure that, as a Game Pass member, I will let you know if there are any probems.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

It will probably be 30 fps @720p capped.

My question is more what new features will be removed for gen 8?

Perhaps the DLC manager will improve performance but wirh all the new physics and clouds it may be just enough that there won't be any lost features than the usual cut back on AI, layers, and train formations. Maybe some timetable cutbacks too.

But I'm sure at best it will be PC low setting. Unless they lower the draw distance even more but that would be ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Just remember the lag at Crewe station with SOS when that was shown on Gen8 for performance. I really think you'll be lucky if it changes timetables to the current SEHS (for example).

Please don't get your hopes up and don't shout on the forums, please see it as you are (respectively) 'living on borrowed time'.

• Like Like x 5
  7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Concerned with TSW3 possibly locking the resolution to 4K on Xbox One X. It will crash more (out of graphics memory on long sessions) and FPS will be reduced. I hope we still get the flexibility to change to HD in the game options. Couldn't get an answer for any consoles on the latest stream regarding this. Also the usual limitations with gen 8 - shorter length freight trains and layers disabled on some memory intensive routes.

I expect all Xbox One consoles will be running the graphics at low settings, maybe lower on demanding routes. A few subtle value changes applied automatically with S and X. Xbox One X enhanced textures unlikely for performance reasons. Series S may be 1080p but will have high quality textures. Series X running at 4K, high quality textures.

• Like Like x 1
  8. goop#5830

goop#5830 Member

Who even plays on gen 8 consoles

• Like Like x 1
  9. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Approximately 2/3 of console users, according to last report from Sam. May have shrunk a bit in the time since, but there's a reason it's still supported.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

While I personally thing gen 8 should have been dropped for tsw 3 ( i use series S ), in a business sence, it would of been utter stupidity to drop gen 8 knowing around 48% of the tsw fanbase still use a gen 8 console.

You can bet your last dollar though tsw 4 will be the end of gen 8 if DTG want tsw to progress

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dustysideboard

Dustysideboard Member

Going to try As i’M not surE if we’re allowed to mention console deals but a UK retailer currently has a limited time trade in offer to upgrade to a Series X with a considerable amount off

• Like Like x 1
  12. junior hornet

Even if I could afford to buy a Gen 9 console, I don’t think I could afford the electricity to run it. :(

• Like Like x 1
  13. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Actually, if you mostly play gen8 games, a gen9 console is a very smart investment indeed. Their power consumption when running backcompat games is lower than that of 8th gen consoles, due to the more efficient design.

• Like Like x 1
  14. junior hornet

It was more a comment on the huge price hikes we have had and are going to have in the next few months for gas and electric in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. And the £30 price hike.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Princess Entrapta

Yes, and in relation to that, I was mentioning these consoles use less power, so it'll help with cutting down a bit more on those increased bills.

17. Princess Entrapta

That really was an open goal for Microsoft to just be all "We're keeping the XBox price the same".

• Like Like x 1
  18. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

They somehow managed keep 100% of the new SEHS timetable on 8th gen, which includes tons of resource-intensive stuff such as the TGV, a Steam railtour as well as lots of different freight wagons, AI services and static stock. This means they likely made some big advancements regarding memory and performance on the older consoles. Hopefully, we’ll get some of the missing layers on other routes (HMA, BML, SOS) now, too!

• Like Like x 3
  19. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

The question could also be asked: why would anyone want to play TSW on gen9?

I was so underwhelmed by gen9 performance that I just stopped playing TSW all together. I had more fun playing TSW on gen8 then I did on gen9. On gen8 you could excuse the hardware for the bad performance. On gen9 there is no excuse left for the bad performance.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Princess Entrapta

Four words.
    Sixty. Frames. Per. Second.

21. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Not at all. In fact we've added the 4K/HD switch now to Xbox One X, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X. You choose how you want to run it :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. Princess Entrapta

Nice!
    Any thoughts on a 1440p option on XSX to benefit from higher than 1080p resolution but also higher framerates than 4K?

23. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Not at the moment, but something to come back to for sure, love the idea and its easy enough to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1