Cab Light Uk Trains

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dhekelian, Aug 12, 2022.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Just wondered if anyone knows the rules about using a cab light on UK trains in operation or if drivers did use the cab on route? Cheers.

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

You can't use the cab light in the front cab while the train is in motion (same as a car). I believe that's the only rule though. I've definitely seen trains where the guard in the rear cab has the light on, also saw a 66 stop and the cab light immediately came on.

3. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Your not supposed to have it on whilst you are moving as all you’ll see is your own reflection.
    It is acceptable whilst stationary- at a signal etc.

Most trains come with a smaller reading light to help preserve the drivers night vision.

Some drivers will even click it on and off as a greeting to other drivers they pass instead of the wave that they do in the day.

4. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Oh blimey, is that going to be a feature for multiplayer, you can click your cab light on and off as another player comes past you... don't forget to add a medal for being the first one to click their light on and off :P

• Like Like x 2
  5. dhekelian

Oh thanks for the replies. I had a memory of HST's speeding along with their cab lights on, I must of mis-remembered that, cheers.

6. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

I used to take a class 101 part of the way to and from school on the early 90's,
    in winter the journey home was in darkness, but 90% of the time the driver left the cab back blinds open, ok not as bright as having the cab light on, but that would have driven me mad having reflections in the windscreen if i was the driver.

• Like Like x 3
  7. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Haha

8. dhekelian

I remember the 'bubble cars' as well. Memories eh?

9. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

There is no rule to say you mustn't have the light on, it's up to the driver.
    As mentioned above, the reflections in the window made it hard to see, depending on loco. 37's were ok but large window locos like 47s, 56s and 60s were bad.

• Like Like x 1