So Will Tsw2 Be Totally Obsolete?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Aug 10, 2022.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

On Xbox they get you some IRL rewards, but other than that there are trophy hunters who like to complete things, and having to do the same 50 runs in TSW3 just because you want the badge would be "wearing"

• Like Like x 1
  2. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Me, I don't care about the thropies, but I would like to transfer my statistics and medals simply because I hate to drive the same service again, when there is so many available and when I see medal next to it, I know that one was already completed, so I omit it and move on to another one.
    The statistics about trains and routes is just informational, I just like to know how many miles I have already done on a particular EMU/Loco/route since I start playing this game.

• Like Like x 3
  3. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself it’s important because it satisfies a probable form of OCD I must suffer from? I quite like the achievement of having gold medals listed right through the journey mode and timetable mode of a route dlc. I’d quite like what I’ve achieved in TSW2 and spent time gaining carried over into TSW3 without having to start getting all those gold medals all over again.

if getting gold medals ( Or trophies ) doesn’t bother you then it’s probably not a big deal but for those of us it does bother it should be an option to transfer them into the new game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh I see. Some rewards would make the achievements worth while. Without them though I don't really see the point.

For people collecting trophies I can understand losing the progress can be annoying. I've noticed on steam all my achievements from various games are logged on my steam account. Is this not the case on the PlayStation dashboard?

Why dtg can't just transfer the achievements from one to the other is a question for dtg I guess. Maybe on the pc platforms it's got something to do with the punk buster anti cheating thing!

5. Everyone has some form of ocd.

I was saying on steam you can track your progress and achievements on the steam dashboard. I was wondering if the same thing applies on the PlayStation dashboard? That way you can still track your achievements from tsw2 in some way.

Personally I will play a scenario or service many times, not just once.

I've also noticed that gold is easily achievable on most routes. Apart from updated iow which seems to be more difficult than the rest.

6. ARuscoe

Yes, but when people move from TSW2 to TSW3 those achievements will NOT move across. so if anyone looks at their TSW3 achievements it will be zero, even if they did get those things completed in TSW2

They can't copy them on ANY platform. But it's not achievements I'm really talking about, those are out of DTG's hands. It more a case of completion of drives (where you get gold, silver etc). Those aren't coming over either so you'll have to do all those BML drives again if you want to get some gold showing (nothing is changing on BML, not the timetable, not the trains, nothing)

7. There must be a way of transferring the progress from one save to another. I'm not sure if tsw3 is a new game or not? I would imagine it's just tsw2 with a few updates and a different version number.

If the older routes can be made compatible with the new version then the saves must be able to do the same.

Game devs these days don't seem to care much for the players progress. I can think of a few others, where a update has screwed up my progress for support to turn round and say oh well s happens!
    Start again.

8. ARuscoe

I was asking similar of JD earlier. Seems to me that the TSW2 versions other than SEHS and SoS are the same. They haven't split out the loco assets either...
    Does make you wonder sometimes

• Like Like x 1
  9. arek#2842

Ok, so I have done some searching, watched the release video stream, search on a forum and found this statement coming from DTG Protagonist:
    Found it in this thread, page 5 somewhere in the middle: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-roadmap-part-1-10th-august-2022.57223/page-5

So, dynamic weather will not affect AI trains movement, hence there is no chance for more varied runs :|

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

So there go all Matt's comments of not being able to just sit there as you have done before...

11. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We've said we're working on profile transfer, just FYI. Nothing confirmed yet, when we know we'll share as widely as we can.

dangerousdave too ^

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. ARuscoe

Not on the roadmap... so not looking forward to it
    (bingo card ticked for the week)

13. arek#2842

Yeah, well, I guess all he meant by that is that you would have to be more vigilant about train's adhesion, when dry weather will change to wet weather.

14. ARuscoe

So no change from just driving in the wet. I wanted some signals that weren't green dagnamit

15. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

Will TSW2 get ANY more updates? Or is this a dead end?

16. arek#2842

It will get the rest of Preservation Crew updates, will be also a test field for DLC Limit solution, but after that - according to August roadmap - it's dead. Even the red light issue, whenever will bi fixed, it will not reach TSW2.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. arek#2842

Same here. That is something that would make the drive more realistic, ten times more immersive than some silly sparcles coming from 3rd rail.

But I think DTG don't have such ambitions, they don't plan to ever move TSW from indie simulator to "first league" or "AAA" segment of the games. They just want to make simple modifications and produce more routes and, judging by the response to TSW3, I think community also wants just that. Seems like most players don't mind driving the same route for 100 times and for 100 times having all green lights all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Achievements help collect Microsoft Rewards. Rewards get me gift cards which get me stuff. Simple, really, for me.

19. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You mean Bing points and you can use them for TSW 3 DLC when they go on Sale for Xbox Platform.

20. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

Wow, I am underwhelmed. Based on the ongoing mess that is TSW2 which I doubt will ever get fixed, I won’t be getting v.3. I stated many months ago that until DTG can deliver working software as promised, I will be keeping my money in my pocket. I haven’t even been here to the forums for months until today, having seen the announcements of v3, nor played TSW2 in months. Such is my disinterest in playing something fundamentally flawed

These guys run a masterclass in how not to do things, maybe they have received guidance from Gerald Ratner. So thanks but I’ll keep my money and watch all of you on here keep spending your cash while moaning how it’s broken/flawed/hobbled/sh*te

• Like Like x 3
  21. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There are many reasons for achievements to be important for some people but not to others, whether it is for something to aim for or completeness or, at least in the case of Xbox users, reward points.

22. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Since dtg has been working on TSW3 for at least a year is it possible the preservation team(there always alot of talk about fixes but as we all we know when they come other stuff get broke at the same time)has been slowly rolling out the updates in order to save the bigger fixes for tsw2 after tsw3 is released so they only have to worry about tsw2 fixes for the tsw2 dlc when they have been moved to tsw3?Now if tsw2 does get any more fixes i can't see us getting many once tsw3 in full go mode.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

Wow.... In that case to hell with DTG. Thats so scummy.

• Like Like x 1
  24. arek#2842

Well, it's quite natural to drop support for older software if new one is being released. The problem is that there are some game breaking issues present in TSW2 that should be fixed, before the support to be stopped permanently, like i.e. the famous red lights case, but they stated in the latest roadmap it will not be, fix will only be provided for TSW3 in this particular case, and that is outrageous.

• Like Like x 1
  25. shhweeet#4292

Good to know DTG are at least working on it DTG JD but surely both you and the rest of the DTG senior management must realise that getting TSW2-TSW3 and PS4-PS5 profile / progress transfer ( Basic medal achievements mainly ) sorted out should be an absolute top priority along with a properly working save feature now routes are going to be much longer to play. These vital features should have been fully sorted out and available BEFORE any mention of an official release of TSW3.

Don’t you realise it’s totally off putting for long term players who have invested a lot of hours in their TSW2 dlc’s being forced to have to start all their progress over again from scratch if they want to play them in your new version of TSW. As for totally abandoning the save feature? What a ludicrous decision especially now routes like the extended SEHS are coming along. Imagine you over an hour into something like that and Auntie Mable decides to visit and you are forced to just stop but don’t have the ability to save?? As others have said even a dodgy save feature that we had in TSW2 is better than nothing at all.

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate DTG’s efforts to evolve TSW along, but you really do need to get the basics sorted out before you introduce any evolutions or force players to migrate to a supposed different version. When players are talking about keeping the old version alongside the new version of TSW and playing them both side by side because of the transfer and save issues then something is seriously wrong with senior DTG management decisions.

As it stands I do politely suggest DTG gets the TSW2-TSW3 / 8th gen - 9th gen console profile transfer issues and save feature fully sorted out sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  26. arek#2842

Can you give them one good reason why they should even move their pinky to fix it?

If TSW3 will sell better that TSW2 what does it mean to the company?
    That they can release relatively low quality product which is still selling as expected.

Therefore why they should invest their time and money to fix anything?
    It's better for them to focus on creating more DLCs which will generate more revenue.

Talking, asking, begging, threatening, writting open letters and so on - it's pointless. Companies are targeted to generate more and more revenue. They will invest in increasing their products quality only it those products will not be generating enough revenue or if the competitor's product has better quality product.

• Like Like x 1
  27. shhweeet#4292

Reputation. pride in producing a proper quality product. Attracting players to stick with and to invest their hard earned into TSW and each new version of it rather than many just sticking with the old version or drifting off altogether towards something else which would affect profit. Keeping ahead of any competition in order to attract new players by being ahead of their game on the basics, etc, etc. I could give more but how many reasons do you actually want????? It’s all basic business commerce my friend something I was taught at secondary school but something that sadly in todays world is rapidly going AWOL.

Also the point of a forum like this is to allow and give a platform to players who have invested a lot of time and money into something like TSW to be able to air their views, thoughts, and grievances on the game they love to play without being accused of doing all the things you listed at the end of your reply?? Or are we just to be all accepting without protest and just pay our money and invest our time regardless? If your happy to let the likes of DTG just get away with not even doing the very basics and getting them right then fine! But please don’t question the right of those of us who aren’t accepting of such sloppiness, people who are prepared to air their views in the hope DTG in this case will make TSW the best train sim game it can be. A game which we consumers who have invested our, time, money and put our faith in DTG to produce a quality product fully deserve.

Anyway no offence but I already know what people like you think, I’m much more interest in what JD thinks should he give me / us the courtesy of a reply.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  28. arek#2842

That's good points, but even though TSW3 will be bugged with the same issues as TSW2, and by the community reaction to the TSW3 do you see if quality matters for them, who already pre-ordeded it?
    No, it is not, and that's a clear signal to the company that they can release such indolent product because it will still sell.
    Exactly!
    Sure, that's what the forum(s) is for, but did it ever have any effect? Do you think if you'll keep demanding here that i.e. profile transfer between PS4-PS5 to be developed, will it actually happen?

Me, I don't think so, but I might be wrong. JD or if anyone from DTG will even bother to reply, will probably give you the generic response as usual.
    In this particular case of PS4-PS5 transfer, do you recall that DTG has stated that they have delegated ONE engineer to be working on it?
    Guy was working on it since about a year or so and haven't resolve it. Now, with TSW3 they have completely abandoned it, as apparently this one engineer will make significant change to TSW3 development, so he has to be moved away to the other tasks.

To me, it all sounds like a good lie, starting from the point that only one guy was working on it. Even if they would put this task to the plumber it would already have been solved. Now, with TSW3 they were forced to take this one guy and move him/her to other tasks. Really, he could not be continue his work on the subject? Moreover, even old time players have already started new profile on TSW2 when they have switched to PS5. Now, they will start over again when they will switch to TSW3. What DTG will do is just to wait for some time when finally nobody will care about any profiles transfer and subject will be dead by itself.

Let them prove I'm wrong now.

29. shhweeet#4292

What your basically saying is players will vote with their feet or rather their wallets. That’s fair enough and if they still vote with their wallets and keep buying a substandard product for whatever reason then they will get the game they deserve. Still we should never stop airing our views or just be prepared to accept any old trash otherwise wheres the incentive for anyone to do a proper job with regards to anything?

it’s a bit like all this industrial action we are seeing everywhere. Unions / strikers are saying we have had enough and are voting with their feet and withdrawing their labour and making a stand. The public are either with them or they are not. The ones who aren’t can hardly complain about the state of the country, their own pay, or their own working conditions if they are going to just accept everything without ever making a stand and supporting those that do.

30. arek#2842

Well, I might have exaggerate with the "it's pointless" statement of mine in regards to publicly present your dislike for the product condition. What I meant is that any company does not have a "morality" you can appeal to. Therefore I don't believe it will result in any effect, take - in example - the latest 'Open Letter to DTG' thread (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/an-open-letter-to-dtg.53456/), resulting in quite strong reply from the community, but did it result in any effect coming from DTG?

DTG have asnwered there that they will take an action to fix some or all of those game breaking issues, some of them were even present in the following roadmap, but just for a month (like i.e. optimization of Nahverkehr Dresden and London Commuter for 8th gen consoles), others are now move to be fixed for TSW3 only (like Red Light / Dispatcher issue).

I don't know if I have understand the intention of the author of the open letter to DTG thread correctly, but I think he wanted to motivate DTG to finally invest some time and fix those issues in TSW2. So, basically, this open letter has had none to fractional effect at all. I have expected that DTG will fix those issues in TSW2, and definitely not to populate them in TSW3 (!), start to sell it and promise to fix them in the future.

I know it's just one example, but I'm playing TSW only since half a year, maybe you're more experienced player and DTG products user and can recall how other similar actions have ended up?

31. shhweeet#4292

I’ve been playing TSW2 for just over a year. To be fair my reply earlier to JD wasn’t a demand just a bit of advice from a player who has invested time and money into TSW2 . I know where your coming from, DTG crack on they listen to their customer base but really they don’t. JD has had time to give a response to me in this thread and has chosen not to. That’s alright he doesn’t have to but all it’s achieved is me thinking he / DTG don’t give a dam about little old me and what I think. Yes I’m only one player who they probably couldn’t care less if I stay or go but it’s a dangerous game they are playing because the worms nearly always eventually turn. Players could very well just stick with TSW2 ( I wouldn’t blame them if they did ) give TSW3 a complete miss and then find something else of interest or go to a rival train sim game if one suitable appears in the future. Speaking personally I’m buying TSW3 via the SOS TSW3 starter pack because as I’ve said elsewhere its actually a pretty good deal for me because I haven’t got SOS and was thinking of buying it anyway. Yes that sounds hypocritical from me but fortunately for them and me in this case they created an option that kinda makes it viable for me to stay. Had I already got SOS then I’m pretty certain I’d have given TSW3 a complete miss, stuck with what I have in TSW2, and then when I eventually get a PS5 move on and concentrate on property developed games like GT7. I’m still keeping TSW2 to play my old TSW2 routes where my hours of progress is so that’s still viable and relevant for me and will probably only play TSW3 for anything really new or of actual interest even though I will import all my TSW2 dlc’s into it via the free transfers. ( I’d be daft not to ) However I can see a time when DTG could get taken over by the likes of EA with their grind and grind or pay, pay, and pay again model if the basics don’t improve in TSW and players eventually start to drift away? They will then do what they always do and clear out the dead wood at DTG such as these senior managers which will result in everyone losing out. Yep I’m probably not considered important and pretty expendable by DTG but they would do well to heed the warning.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  32. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Yes TSW2 content will be obsolete imo. Every time I bought a preserved collection route I found out they were not on par with the newer content but with the preservation crew roadmap it looked they would get on par with newer content. TSW3 will not get that treatment. No improvement updates for TSW2 DLC as of TSW3. This means TSW2 will probably look outdated in TSW3. That's how I perceive the switch to TSW3. If you are not that picky you can still play the TSW2 routes but I learned a new lesson with DTG stuff: don't waste too much money on DLC because it becomes obsolete before the DLC is even fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  33. arek#2842

I wonder if someone has asked DTG on yesterday's stream if TSW2 DLCs will ever be updated inside TSW3 with all the features coming with TSW3?

34. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...according to yesterdays stream, the missing preservation updates will be released first in TSW3 and will come a little later for TSW2. Full TSW3 features like volumetric clouds, the lighting system and special effects aren't planned for older TSW2 DLCs yet. But when the hustle and bustle of the publication has subsided and the community wants them there? Maybe they will come route by route, because every route has to be fully adapted first, which is probably a lot of work to do.

Actually SOS and SEHS are the first TSW2 routes that have been fully converted for TSW3 (including an expansion).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. vicarious

vicarious Active Member

It's all about companies making the most money possible, the quickest possible way. Promising future improvements that often never materialize, pushing out annual paid "upgrades" and deploying PR/marketing techniques to keep customers buying is what business is all about in this era. Taking pride in genuine customer satisfaction and a well-produced product is a thing of the past.

It's unfortunate that many people don't realize how deeply disrespected they are as paying customers and will keep buying subpar products and even defend the companies producing them as if sacrificing quality, value for money and customer satisfaction on the alter of maximizing investor returns is somehow natural and right and the only way business can be conducted. It's a kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

The mindset is one of "profit über alles" and if that means releasing a bug-riddled, incomplete product and using dubious techniques to string along customers so they keep buying, so be it. This will only change when customers learn to curb their thirst for instant gratification and stop rewarding business that treat them like fools to be pacified and manipulated into endlessly buying low-quality offerings.

• Like Like x 6
  36. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Because they get more money which is the main goal of all businesses. every company needs and wants money, most of the time they don’t care abt what ppl want. like apple for example they produce almost the same phone every year or so and jack up the price because they know ppl will buy it either way and get a mother load of money. If it doesn’t make money it doesn’t make sense for companies.