Ue4 Texture Streaming Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by wcwood92, Aug 12, 2022.

1. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

If I turn texture streaming off in the engine.ini, is all that loaded data stored in my RAM, or in my graphics card memory?

Thanks

2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

If you mean r.TextureStreaming=0, that will load the whole scene in highest texture detail onto your VRAM. That will also increase your RAM in accordance as well.

There are better alternatives to that method, even if it still works, as the newer routes are very heavy and the memory usage can grow significantly. Check my engine optimization post (see my signature) and take the optimized streamer settings instead of disabling it completely with that setting.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

Hey geloxo !
    I’m glad you replied cause you seem to know the unreal engine very well.

Yes. texturestreaming=0 is what I meant.

I use your ini configuration plus a few of the shadow configurations.

The other night I was still having some stuttering issues. The computer was only using like 40% of my GPU (Overclocked 3080 Ti). I also have a G Sync Ultimate monitor.
    It didn’t make sense so I was gonna try loading all the textures into RAM or VRAM to see if it would help.

Then I realized I didn’t enable DX12.
    Massive improvement. It’s almost like the computer, the game and the graphics card are in perfect harmony. Steady 99% GPU utilization so no wasted power there, consistent temps, and consistent frames.

Anyways. Thanks for your reply and for all the work you put into your ini configuration posts. Helps a lot cause there’s no way I’d have the time to figure all that stuff out.
    I’m sure there’s a lot of players out there who also share my gratitude.

• Like Like x 1