Train Sim World 2... On My Phone.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Krazy, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

So with the release of Train Sim World 3 coming up, I've felt a bit bored lately. I don't have much of a reason to play any video games with a "2" in their name. And you know what we resort to when we're feeling really bored? Ridiculousness!

Ah, the modern cellphone. Capable of so many things, such as advertising random junk to me and giving me calls from my best friend "Potential Spam". But did you know that it can also play video games? And I don't just mean Flappy Bird and that Mario Kart game that makes me question my life choices. You see, there's an app known as the PS Remote App. It allows me to wirelessly connect my very own PlayStation 5 console to a separate device, such as a computer, or of course, my phone. Obviously, I had to download this app, because I wanted to see if the impossible feat of playing Train Sim World 2 on a mobile device was possible.

I played a short bit of three routes on my phone, just to see what the experience is like. I also thought it'd be nice to bring you guys along for the ride. Oh, and by the way, I'll be using touch controls for this. I know that I can connect a PS5 controller to my phone for, you know, an actually decent gameplay experience. But I want to see what a TRUE portable TSW 2 experience would be like. So, come along with me, and stand clear of the closing doors. This is the mobile Train Sim World 2 experience.

I decided to start with everybody's favorite route: Cane Creek.

So, let's load up a service and set up my train! Let's see how the controls wor- oh.
    [​IMG]

It sure isn't the best-looking thing out there, but obviously it's the only way things are going to work with a touch screen. If you don't want the controls to cover up the game itself, you could play vertically...
    [​IMG]

Yeah, you could play TSW 2 in portrait mode. Just like you could drive while wearing a blindfold.

A fun little thing about setting up a train with touch controls. Just a little thing. You probably won't notice it... but... IT'S REALLY HARD TO CONTROL.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, since there's no physical joysticks to move around, you'll be left dragging your fingers across a touch screen. Lining up the cursor on little things such as the headlights and generator field is not easy. But hey, at least I was able to set up the train. I decided to check out the external cameras. If you're curious as to how on earth I can click the non-existant sticks, it's just a double click on either the left or right side of the screen.

Moving the cameras is kind of difficult. The sticks are very tough to properly move around on a touch screen. But hey, I was soon enough able to zoom in!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The horn takes some getting used to. I have to double click and hold to properly sound the horn. But it does function fine enough.
    [​IMG]

Alright, that's enough of Cane Creek. Was just doing the very basics. Next stop: Aachen with the ICE 3M!
    [​IMG]

A little scroll up shows that I find the controls sticks hard to use. So can you imagine how annoying it was to press the little buttons on the ICE screens to activate AFB? It would've taken me a WHILE if I decided to also turn on the passenger lights and destination screens.
    [​IMG]

Something I found a bit awkward was adjusting AFB. As most of you know, adjusting AFB requires holding the square button and pressing the R1 or R2 buttons. While that's pretty easy to do with a regular controller, this is not the most convenient and a flat touch screen device. I moved my right hand in a way where I had one finger holding square, while the other uses the shoulder buttons. It's not the most convenient method of controlling, that's for sure.
    [​IMG]

But hey, we're departing the station safe and sound!
    [​IMG]

Let me tell you about using the map. To access it, I had to double tap the top of the screen to click the imaginary touch pad. Functionally, the map is fine, zooming in and out, moving around. But, I do NOT recommend doing any sort of switching services with touch controls. The digital control sticks make it REALLY difficult to line up switches/junctions.
    [​IMG]

That's enough of Koln-Aachen. I've really only done basic setting up and driving. So with my final trip, being in Scotland, I decided to do a basic challenge: I'm going to stop a train at a station.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By default, the touch screen controls disappear after only a couple seconds of not touching them. If you want to use them again, I have to tap on the screen before I can use them again. For a route such as the Cathcart Circle where I'm constantly using the throttle and brake, this is a bit of an annoyance for sure.

Approaching the station...
    [​IMG]

Shoot, I was so close to a perfect stop.
    [​IMG]

That was a bit anti-climactic, wasn't it? Turns out that basic application of the brakes isn't that difficult.
    [​IMG]

Well, I guess that's all I've got. Playing TSW with this method is probably the worst way to play the game, I'd say. First of all, controller or not, it's going to hurt your eyes to drive a train on a small cellphone screen. There's so much to focus on while driving a train, and I find it unpleasant to use a phone for TSW in any form. The controls aren't great, as the control sticks are terrible for setting up controls in the cab, and for most commuter routes, there's a lot of touch screen action to deal with. While the game doesn't run poorly on my phone, there will be noticeable stutters from time to time.

I don't know what I accomplished with this post. Feel free to try it for yourself, I guess.

• Like Like x 6
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

May i ask why the SD40 pic there was green smoke?

3. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Must be the uranium that the wind carried all the way from the abandoned mine. (but for an honest answer, I don't know lol)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for bringing us along on this phone based train odyssey and for showcasing that, for many reasons, this is a throughly bad idea. I commend your patience to get as far as you did though.

Next challenge PZB?!?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, PZB with touch screen controls is a terrifying thought.

6. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

My IPhone is already overcooking with the current heatwave so I don’t want it to explode if they release a soft version of TSW

7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I play it on my phone occasionally using XCloud and my Razer Kishi phone game controller - works an absolute treat :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I imagine if you had a controller that could connect to a tablet then it would be a reasonably good experience.

9. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

This is what I use:

Razer Kishi for Android - Smartphone Gaming Controller (USB-C Connection, Ergonomic Design, Individual Fit for Mobile Phones, Analog Stick, Ultra Low Latency) Black : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Played a few games via XCloud on it and it works a treat -I got the Xbox themed one but the normal one is basically identical just different labels on the buttons is all.

Does everything that you can do when normally playing with a controller! - except, I can use it anywhere, out and about, and not need to bring a console with me heh :)

Matt.

10. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

For PlayStation, Sony will release soon worldwide the Backbone One priced at 99$ but it’s only available currently in North America if I’m not mistaken. Of course that’ll be for the IPhone