Add Sheerness And Cuxton To The New Sehs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mateiule, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have a proposal to add 2 lines to the new SEHS:

- A 2mi/4km 1 stop extension from Strood to Cuxton
    - Perhaps more well known, a 6,5mi/10,5km 4 stop extension to Sheerness-on-Sea from Sittingbourne.

First up, Cuxton. It is a stop on the Medway Valley Line, coming off from Strood with trains going to and from Maidstone West, Tonbridge, and Paddock Wood. Why do I think it should be added? Well, while very short and only able to offer players 1-stop hops between it and Strood, with the new Ashford International extension, HS1 overlooks this station so a lot of the line is likely already scened, especially because this branch starts at an existing station in the game that is also scened. There's even AI at Strood going there already. Why not finish it and give us some nice extra services with some variety? It would be just like Grossenhain from Riesa - Dresden.

Rolling stock would be a BR Class 375/3, very similar to what we have now but with 3 cars and some headlight tweaks. But I personally wouldn't mind if the line was added with the current trains they're using as AI.

A 375/3 at Cuxton with the Medway River. In the background, HS1 is visible.
    [​IMG]
    Source:
    https://www.awalkandalark.com/north-downs-way-section-7-cuxton-detling-bluebells/

Next up, the Sheerness Line. It is a highly requested, 6,5mi/10,5km branch line with 4 stops at Kemsley, Swale, Queenborough, and Sheerness. It connects to the line at Sittingbourne with shuttles starting there, although I believe there are some trains in the peak hours that start from London Victoria. Like Cuxton, there is AI for this line already, but the main selling point of this route is the scenery as you cross the Kingsferry Bridge over the Swale and onto the Isle of Sheppy. Bonus if they could make the bridge actually lift!

Rolling stock would be a BR Class 466, which is essentially a class 465 with the middle 2 cars taken out. But like last time, I wouldn't mind using whatever current rolling stock they have for the AI trains.

Gallery:

Kemsley station
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemsley_railway_station

A 466 to Sheerness approaches Swale.
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Swale_railway_station

The Kingsferry Bridge, raised and unraised.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsferry_Bridge

Queenborough station, with the station house.
    [​IMG]
    Source:
    https://mapio.net/pic/p-49460907/

Sheerness-on-Sea station.
    [​IMG]
    Source:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheerness_line

Map of the branch
    [​IMG]
    Source:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheerness_line

I hope you liked this suggestion, and would consider liking it to show DTG your interest! Until next time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Looking at the routemap from the recent roadmap stream cuxton is in the map already
    upload_2022-8-15_7-27-20.png
    Cuxton is before the track curves south along the river

With regards to Sheerness, they said on stream that they chose to extend from Gravesend to Dartford rather than Sittingbourne to Sheerness because the Dartford extension gives more service variation with Passenger runs from Gravesend, extension of the runs from Rainham, extension of freight from the Medway Valley Lines, Hoo and the Isle of Grain...
    The Sheerness shuttle is literally that. It goes from Sittingbourne to Sheerness and back every half hour, with two additional services from Victoria (Rochester in game) via Rainham then onto the island.
    There's no freight, no variation in stopping pattern...

Personally I would say the North Kent Lines were the better option (and indeed would love a modular add on including all three NKL to Charing Cross, Cannon Street and Blackfriars)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

While it may be true there isn't much variety, I still don't think the line should be ignored because you can't really have it with any other route. It's too short with not enough stops to justify its own route, and not even 20 minutes end-to-end. And I personally would be all over starting at Rochester and driving to Sheerness from there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ARuscoe

Not really the point...
    Putting in a spur or branch line should have more of a purpose than "well it's there". Spending dev time on stations, route and trains should do more than "add 20 of the same runs in a day back and forth"

5. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

I don't know if this would be possible but it might be a good project for a smaller developer to extend the new SEHS and to experiment with adding or extending timetabled services.

6. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

That's fair. But I should've mentioned in my previous reply to you that not only it's there, but it does have an attraction that sets it apart from the other ~95% of this proposed megaroute: the Kingsferry Bridge. I think that there is really an opportunity to do something great with the bridge, as it frequently lifts to allow boats to pass through. It would be very nice to see the bridge lifting and boats passing through from Swale, or a scenario where you're driving a peak service from London to Sheerness and the bridge gets stuck so you have to go back.

7. ARuscoe

There's loads of routes with lift or swing bridges, and the bridge coordinates with the railway so that it's never up when a train wants to pass. The only advantage would be a scenario where the bridge got stuck and you'd have to turn around somewhere...?

8. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

Are there any in TSW? And if so, do they function? And while the bridge may be coordinated so that no trains get interrupted, having such a bridge would be a very amazing feat brought to the game, especially since you'd be able to see it happening in real time from Swale station.

9. ARuscoe

Nope, so they would need to make those routes, same as they would have to make the Kingsferry bridge...

I believe the transporter bridge in one of the northern routes works in TSW, but that just moves left and right rather than lifting or swinging out of the way

I've seen it. It's uninspiring. It goes vertically straight up, something sails underneath, it goes vertically straight down again. Sounds better than it is

10. If sehs was set 30 years back (not sehs) when there was a lot of freight going on and off the island and through ridham Dock, the route would be worth while.

11. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

Well, from the perspective of DTG to make it a future feature in available routes, it would make much more sense to try it here as opposed to somewhere else since it's only 6,5mi and 4 stops, with AI and one of the endpoints of the branch already existing.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Trying to make it like what the sister game Train Sim classic sheerness branch with SEML Chatham Main Line

13. ARuscoe

Please dont. All the sidings on the route are classed as a black along with the mainline, so you can't be shunting in Sheerness Docks and have trains going in and out of Sheerness Station...
    Make it properly or not at all