Other Save Games - Reporting

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by DTG JD, Aug 16, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hello folks,

As mentioned in last week's Roadmap, we will be temporarily turning off the Save Game feature for Train Sim World 3 -

I just wanted to copy-and-paste the rationale from Matt here, from another thread so you're all aware of where the reasoning is and how we'll be looking to combat it. There's also a request for your help if you experience the issue in-game to allow us to hone in on what might be causing the issue on a route-by-route basis.

For those hinting that save shouldn't even be a thing and those worried we might take that seriously, don't, Save is essential and i'm gutted we're in this place now - but we are working to get out of it and it is getting the serious attention and priority it deserves.

I don't have any updates to share, will do so when there is of course.

For those who would like to help contribute to the effort, I have put together a spreadsheet for collecting your reports which I will share below - any time you find instances of save/resume not working in any shape or form, please add to this sheet. I'll add these findings to the ones we already have reported in via customer support and internal QA findings of course, but I have a feeling the more data we have on this the better as I want to one-shot this problem into the past, I'm as sick and tired of it as you all are.

If you put your forum username as the "Who" column then I can DM you with any other questions.

Here's that sheet:
    Save Faults

(For those reading this using other platforms - this is for you too of course, please do share the request around, it's not PC only, just like the problem is not PC only).

For those requesting putting a broken save game feature back into the game, i'm not prepared to do that. It causes far more problems
    when things don't work and the lesser experienced players can waste considerable time on gameplay that simply won't work. Instead, my strongest wish / hope / aim is to get it back fully working as fast as possible.

Thanks for the help and we'll aim to resolve this as quickly as possible.

From this thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/spirit-of-save.57227/page-2#post-521492

• Like Like x 3
  2. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Really happy you've reached out to the community to help solve this issue, given the scale of the task this seems the most sensible way forward.

Once TSW3 is released though, how can those of us that choose to upgrade keep contributing since the save is disabled? Seems like you'll be missing out on a lot of valuable data.

3. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Hah, there are currently almost 3 million Ford cars in the US subject to recall because of an issue almost exactly as you describe. In fact millions of cars are recalled every year due to manufacturing issues that could potentially kill people in the US alone. Prior to this there was an entire history of cars not being recalled despite killing people because the manufacturers figured it was cheaper to just be sued when someone died. It's a really poor industry to compare with for quality because it has an appalling history of treating human life as disposable rather than fixing its own screw ups.

4. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

But they ARE subject of a recall so something is being done about it! They're not being told they're stuck with the old one and have to buy a "new" version if they want the hope that it MAY be resolved.

However, I accept that maybe it was a poor analogy.

5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I am trying out various routes to see if I can get the save game issues to arise. The last two that I ran, Harlem, M7A service 342, and SWHS, 375 service 1P26, both functioned after a save to the end, no issues. I have thought of something, wonder if where you save makes a difference. Something to try. Run one service over and over, saving at different locations and see what the result will be.

• Like Like x 2
  6. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Just to put my two penneth in. I will not buy TSW3 with no save function. With the increased length of routes it is madness to switch off a function that works fine most of the time. Not everyone has time to spend 2 hours or more at a time to sit in front of their computers or consoles.

I am in a fortunate position of being a Game Pass member which means I will be able to try the game to see if it is worth buying. I did just that with TSW2 and was sufficiently impressed to buy it but unless they switch the save game function back on, there will be no purchase from me. If they turn it on, one route at a time which seems to be the message, I will not buy it until all routes are fixed.

For goodness sake DTG, PLEASE, just listen to the feedback from your customer base and stop your “Nanny knows best” attitude. There is no shame in doing a U turn. You are not politicians. You are supposed to serve the customer. Please see sense and switch it back on before release.

The last time I had this problem was with my Sega Megadrive in the 1990s. I spent ages playing a game and managed to get a fair way through it but when I had to stop, I found that I had to start all over again. The next day I sold it. It’s now thirty or so years later. A save game function is essential in this day and age.

You know what, I don’t care how they spell Center/Centre. I just want a game that is feasible to play.

Rant Over. Enjoy your holiday JD. :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´ve criticized DTG because of their patches which fix a few bugs and bring a bunch of new ones into the DLCs that formerly worked flawlessly. That´s really bad!

Now, I´ve never ever had trouble with the save game feature. And I´ve used it enough, in example:

-To interrupt and save a long BR187 freight run on SKA, to return to it later.
    -To avoid SPADing on critical stops, just to make sure saving 3km before the stops.
    -To get through Dresden-Mitte, where my PS4 always chrashes. The save game gets back and let me finish the run. At least it´s a workaround.
    -To save in between on the complex (and funny to play) shunting moves with the Class 37 on WCL or the BR 363/G6 on RSN and RRO. It´s fairly easy to SPAD there just because you overlooked a red shunting signal.

It always puts me back as I left it. Maybe I´m just lucky. The only complaint I have about the save game feature is that there´s only ONE save slot. Nice to have would be 3,4,5 slots in a variety of routes.

Just bring the bloody save game feature over from TSW2 to TSW3 AS IS! Better than having none at all.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  8. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

A bad save is better than no save. This is madness.

9. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

TSW2 has a rather unique feature, You complete a timetable service but if you don't acknowledge your way back to the main menu you don't get credit for it on the services timetable. This is on an xbox series X. I happened to forget this after finishing an hour long run on Rhein Sieg Nord over the weekend.

Good thing I made a save file 500m before the red signal at the end. I restored my save completed the run (again) this time going back to the save menu and saved myself an hour.

It's amazing how helpful a flawed and imperfect save function can be.

Thank you DTG for throwing everything at fixing the save function to make it perfect (that wasn't sarcasm), Please keep the current save function alive while you do.

10. I had the opposite on clinchfield where a problematic service worked after saving and resuming.

11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I‘m in the Bad Save is better than no save camp.

With the current derailment bug present and no indication yet that it’s fixed in TSW3. It means I will continue to play older routes in TSW2

I played a lot this last weekend and got three derailments. Two of them could be recovered from a save (I save every 5kms) the other just kept derailing when you loaded back in.

So Yes the save is broken, but it also allows us to recover from other bugs. I think it’s a huge mistake to remove it completely.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

How about it DTG? This is the one action which may yet convince me to buy TSW3 on release date. I can live with the odd lighting (especially if we get some community ini fixes) and the flat sound but to have a train sim where runs frequently exceed an hour in length and a new route where it takes three times that to go from end to end, is just ludicrous. Put a caveat in the game that the save is currently unsupported or as I have suggested previously but seems to be ignored by the “we know best department”, have a beta or test path version of the game on Steam with the save feature so PC users at least have the choice. Is it really that hard to do?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I fuly agree with the comments above. I will not buy TSW3 as long as the game save is not working.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Locking this thread, as I'm setting up a new one for when the update is released in the future.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.