Br442 Unlocking Brake Lock

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Volvo B10M, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

How are you supposed to unlock the BR442 after emergency braking due to PZB? I know the signaller does this IRL on a relief reaching the unit but there seems to be no effect from pressing contact the signaller button in the menu or with the GSM, is the only option to end the scenario as any driver would be immediately removed from duty for this action IRL?

On Nahweker Dresden the brakes are applied as well by a green signal with red rectangle over yellow down arrow but I did not notice as the signal was green, are you supposed to reduce to 80 and acknowledge every signal in this case? If this is the case it would result in unacceptable lateness & consequences.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

This is from a post I made on this thread:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/how-many-times-do-you-do-the-pzb-dance.50358/#post-430690

After acknowledging and getting the 1000 Hz light, you have to get down to 85 kph within (I believe) 23 seconds.
    That's for the passenger mode, which would apply to that service.

For yellow signals it's best to keep decelerating all the way down to 60 kph. That's because you're approaching a red signal and the 500 Hz magnet is coming up.
    You have to be below 65 kph when you pass the 500 Hz, then you have 153 meters to get below 45 kph.

If you over run the red you get a 2000 Hz magnet and an immediate emergency stop.

Violating any of these rules results in an emergency brake.
    The steps of decreasing speed ensure that no matter what the driver screws up, the train can still stop itself before it crashes. That's the theory at least.

You also have to acknowledge upcoming speed restrictions. Same rules for 1000 Hz applies.
    I've seen different patterns for different routes, but a good rule to start with is acknowledge anything 80 or below. (Or anything not green if you want to be super safe)

Don't give up. It's really fun once you truly understand it. Matt has some great tutorial videos on YouTube

PZB only applies to restricting conditions, whether that be speed restrictions or yellow/red signals.
    General rule I've noticed:
    If something is telling you to slow down or stop, there's a chance there's a PZB rule attached to it.
    Yellow and red are common restrictive colors
    If something is telling you to go or go faster, there's probably no restriction attached to it.
    Green and white are common permissive colors.
    There are, however, exceptions to that basic idea.

The restrictions are communicated to the train via magnets next to the track. You'll see them, and if you zoom way in on them you should see what Hz level it is. That will give you an idea of what kind of rule it is enforcing.

Now to your questions.
    Unlocking the Talent 2 has stumped me too. Just turn the key off and back on again, that might help.

You don't have to slow down at green lights. Open her up, run line speed and enjoy it, but watch for upcoming restrictions.

The stop you mentioned at the green light probably has nothing to do with the light at all.
    I'm wondering if there was a speed restriction on that signal that you didn't acknowledge.
    A hypothetical example would be a green signal with a triangular yellow 8 board attached to it, or mounted on a stick just before the signal. Yellow 8 board meaning upcoming 80 kph.
    You have to acknowledge the 8 board (or anything below 8 in my experience). This triggers the 1000 Hz restriction and you have about 23 seconds to get below 85 kph. Once you satisfy the 1000 Hz restriction of 85 kph, continue to slow to the indicated speed because you might be approaching a speed check (more on that in a second, and actually another possible reason for a PZB stop now that I think about it.)

Speed restrictions also come in the form of illuminated signals. You might see a yellow 8 lit up on a signal post, often combined with a flashing green light. Acknowledge that in the same way.

A green and yellow signal is speed restriction, usually means 45 kph unless otherwise posted, either with a number board or an illuminated number. If there's no number posted on a green and yellow, just assume 45 kph.
    Again, acknowledge in the same way and follow the rules for 1000 Hz (get below 85 kph within 23 seconds, then decelerate to the posted limit.)
    That's nowhere near all the speed signal rules so learn the German signal aspects.

The other weird thing that causes PZB stops is restrictive monitoring. (I think that's the term used.)
    Restrictive monitoring is shown in cab by either a flashing 85 light on digital cabs, or the alternating 70/85 on non digital cabs.
    When you first start the train and take off, you're in restricted monitoring and limited to 45 kph. Exceed 45 and the train stops cold.
    If you got green signals ahead you can release the train from restriction with PZB Release. Once released you can go past 45 kph. Always obey the speed limits for the area though.
    For example, on Riesa-Dresden, when you're leaving Dresden from the lower levels you'll see signals for 60 kph, I think they're white illumined 6s on the signal . This means the speed limit for that area is 60 kph, but you're being permitted to leave and head down the line so it's actually a permissive signal. You can release the PZB restriction and accelerate past 45 and up to 60.

Restrictive monitoring also kicks in when you drop below a certain speed when either a 500 Hz or 1000 Hz light is on in the cab.
    In this situation, because you passed a live magnet and slowed down so much, the system assumes you're approaching an adverse condition. It keeps you at that lower speed to prevent you from accelerating straight at that adverse condition.
    Adverse condition being a speed restriction or a red signal.

(From my view it's kinda like the DRA if you're familiar with the British systems. Only this is not reliant on the driver remembering to set his own reminder.. always thought that was funny)

Restrictive monitoring lights plus a 500 Hz light means you're restricted to 25 kph.
    Restrictive monitoring lights plus a 1000 Hz light means you're restricted to 45 kph.

The trains with digital cabs actually help you understand PZB and restrictive monitoring. On the screen under the speedometer, there's a yellow bar that comes on and it shows you what speed you should be aiming for. On the trains without digital screens, you just have to know what the light combinations mean.
    (Speaking of cab lights, the 500, 1000, or 2000 Hz lights are also a good way to determine what you may have done wrong)

You usually can't release restrictive monitoring when a magnet light is illuminated, so wait for the light to clear.

Speed checks are around in some areas. It's a series of 3 trackside magnets.
    You'll see one magnet, then shortly after you'll see two magnets right next to each other.
    When you pass the first magnet, it starts a timer within the system. When you pass the second magnet it checks how much time has passed, and if it's too short that means you're going too fast. This will activate the third magnet (2000 Hz) and trigger an emergency stop. (Active 2000 Hz magnets will always trigger immediate brakes, they're active next to red signals too.)
    Speed checks are always good for a surprise emergency stop.

It's worth noting that there are exceptions on different routes, and you will encounter surprises from time to time. I've seen dramatic speed restrictions above 80 kph that still require PZB acknowledgment. (A restriction from 160 to 90 maybe)
    Your route knowledge or the HUD will tell you that 90 kph zone coming up. In this case, acknowledge the restriction, slow to 85 then back up to 90.
    I've also seen restrictions below 80 that don't need acknowledgement (but when it doubt it never hurts to acknowledge anyway)

Always react way ahead of whatever the restriction may be. Use the HUD or learn where the permanent speed restrictions are.
    Also react to a restrictive signal as soon as you see it. The 1000 Hz magnet will be active at the base of the signal post.
    If you're doing 160 kph and wait until you pass the magnet to start slowing down, you'll never make 85 in time.

I know this is a lot, and it was mostly stream on consciousness on my end, but I hope it helps. It's hard to answer PZB questions with a short post, and for me, I find examples help to paint the picture.
    Learn the German signals and the line side signs, it'll help you a lot.

I'll also link Matt's YouTube video which I found very helpful.

It's some of the most fun in this game once you learn it, so don't give up. Remember where your mistakes were, and welcome the occasional surprises.
    I was so committed to learning PZB, so I drove Koln-Aachen back and forth in a Talent 2 for hours until I got it right. (No beer involved there :D)

If anything here wasn't completely clear, or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

Thanks for posting that information. I am unable to do anything about the BR442 after it is stopped, I have tried shutting down the cab as well as lowering the pantograph and turning off the battery but it still refuses to move after restarting. From what I have gathered these are remotely reset once a replacement driver reaches the train. I can't find much about the actual procedures as that information seems to be a lot more secretive than the UK railway network, I can't even find out what companies build the motors & control equipment for most DB EMUs.

4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Asterisk here! Both 80 and 90 km/h speed warnings are conditionally acknowledgeable. You only need to acknowledge a restriction to 90km/h if you are travelling over 105km/h, and you only need to acknowledge a restriction to 80km/h if you are going over 95km/h. Reductions to 70km/h and below must always be acknowledged. PZB really is bloody good fun.

40 km/h assuming we're referencing Hp signals.

Great explanation overall, I just wanted to clarify a few things. :)

As for the original question, after you free yourself from PZB you must wait for the brakes to recharge before the traction lock disables. This takes a minute on the 442.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. wcwood92

That's great information! I've been trying to figure out why it isn't always consistent.
    Can't wait to apply that knowledge into my runs.
    If I'm reading this correctly, for both 80 and 90 restrictions you have a 15 kph window over and above each limit where you do not have to acknowledge it. Anything more than 15 kph over and you do have to acknowledge it.

That explains why the 80 warning coming up to Dresden-Neustadt doesn't always trigger the 1000 Hz. Sometimes I slow down early, especially if I'm screwing in at 160 kph in the 101.
    I'll start braking when I see the N route indicators for the station.

And yeah. I actually ran through a yellow signal in the talent the other night without acknowledging it (again, no beer involved there...)
    I was able to unlock the train after a bit so it probably had something to do with the brakes

6. wcwood92

In Germany, if a driver trips the PZB, is he taken out of service for the day?

7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Yep and for the most part TSW simulates PZB well so this rule will work correctly. Unfortunately there are a few places which behave inaccurately which have spoiled my runs, such as the 100km/h Zs3v on the southbound track right before Bitterfeld on Rapid Transit. You never need to acknowledge 100km/h or above but for some reason the 1000Hz magnet is active there so you must acknowledge it to avoid a penalty brake. And I think I remember encountering an 80km/h Zs3v which has an always-active magnet on one of the more recent routes, but I couldn't say which one. Grr

Cheers

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Don't think so. Though he'll have to explain the resulting delay. However if he still manages to pass a signal at danger (which is made even more unlikely due to the restrictive mode after stopping), he'll be definitely taken out of service. Not just for the day.

Though it's been stated before, this applies to all PZB equipped stock: After a PZB emergency application (not confirming an active 1000 Hz magnet), wait until the train has come to a stop and press "PZB Release" to remove traction lock. If simulated correctly, you should then be in 45km/h restricted mode or 25km/h if stopped by a 500 Hz magnet due to overspeed (<65 to <45 km/h 153m brake curve)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. zsolt_93

zsolt_93 Member

On an off chance, did you try releasing the independent brake?
    The brake levers on the right that get no use, most of the times you play only with the combined throttle lever. I have had several Emergency brake applications by PZB where I had to manually release those brakes. I could jiggle the combined lever or the reverser as much as I wanted and still have traction lock. And as soon as I push the independent brakes to release, pressure drops, releasing the traction lock.

10. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

What is the PZB intervention for that happens if coming in to Cheminiz after passing the clear signal after acknowledging the advance warning and start of 80 while doing under 80 (76KPH)? I have just had that happen with the push pull trailer (146 propelling) but after releasing the brake I can only roll downhill but with absolutely no power from the 146, does this have it's own reset for the loco to reset the TC controller?

11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Do PZB Release that frees the brakes. Otherwise put the train on neutral to recharge the brakes then forward. However you have a PZB Restricted mode start then Release from it.

12. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Imho wcwood92 is correct here. On digital cabs (e.g. with the EBI Cab 500 installed) you don't get the 85/70 flashing alternately. The 85 flashing, together with the text message stating the monitored speed, is implemented correctly. See the directives, issued by DB Netz AG:

upload_2022-8-14_13-18-42.png
    upload_2022-8-14_14-18-52.png
    upload_2022-8-14_14-19-40.png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the BR146, i think it's the BR112, and possibly the 143, where after a PZB induced emergency brake, it's shut the main power contactor off (circuit breaker)

So you need to do a 'CTRL + P' or use the mouse to operate the main power switch (next to he T handled Pantograph switch) to get power back for the motors.

14. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

Does that work from the driving trailer?

15. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

You have a 'circuit breaker' switch and a pantograph switch in the steuerwagen/driving trailer, which operates the controls on the loco at the back... so if the reason for not getting power back on the BR146 is due to the circuit breaker/main contactor opening during PZB braking (which it should do) then pressing the circuit breaker switch should be part of the procedure to reset yourself from being brought to an emergency stop,

unfortunately the trains in tsw are all to a different standard regarding what works and what dosent, a lot of them do not even show the ''HS aus'' light on the MFA when the circuit breaker is open (1st light on the top row of lights... that the PZB and door open lights are on)

So whenever i trip an emergency brake event, first thing i do after pressing 'PZB Frei' is push the circuit breaker switch upwards.

There was a spot on one of the routes where you'd get a PZB emergency brake event, and no signals or speed limit signs were present, a rouge magnet presumably... but after the train has stopped, nothing you did could restart it again,
    i can't recall the route now, i remember you came to a stop just after an overbridge with tall girders each side of the tracks.

16. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

I remember suffering the exact same thing with this train. What ended up being the case: a PZB Zwangsbremsung shuts off the main circuit breaker. After pressing PZB Frei, the beeping should stop and the brakes should release. Next, you need to close the circuit breaker and you'll be able to take off again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

It seems it is not just PZB causing this. I just had a station stop but now it will not move again, the doors are locked and have also tried the power reset and that has also had no effect to release. Actual documents on procedures are hard to find so I can't find how the other systems can be reset. I have done over 600 KM on Nahverker Dresden and only one service has so far been completed.