"international English" Does Not Exist, And Certainly Isn't Us English

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eldomtom2, Aug 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

As an English teacher, you probably ought to brush up on present participles.

• Like Like x 5
  2. I was thinking the same!

• Like Like x 1
  3. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

They haven't said they're not, either.

4. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I’m afraid you and I are never going to agree on that. If you think that is ok then we’re on different planets, which is fine, but we are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually I think the whole thing is a bit of redirect from DTG to deflect discussion from the other issues we are pounding them with.

• Like Like x 2
  6. iakoo

iakoo New Member

Yall are writing full books for a single letter placed somewhere else. I’m crying of laughter right now
    Thank you very much for your entertainment

• Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am not sure it is that big of an issue, although I don't like the use of the word engineer in lieu of driver!

The sad thing is that the English language, certainly as spoken in the UK is being slowly demolished and dumbed down and has been for the last few decades. Social media will be the final nail in the coffin, I don't think that is something you can lay at DTG's door!

So many wonderful words will be never uttered again. Many young people seem to want to speak like gangsters now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  8. JetWash

Sorry old boy, it’s ‘you all’ not ‘yall’. That’s kinda the problem.

Also said tongue-in-cheek ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

This is a disgusting and inaccurate post. I don't know where to begin. Just sad.

• Like Like x 3
  10. theorganist

Well feel free to enlighten me then!

• Like Like x 4
  11. JetWash

Try.

• Like Like x 2
  12. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

:D:D

(we all make typos, of course, but personally, I proof read all my posts and correct them if I see one. I wish more posters would proof read before they hit that post button. )

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I feel I must come to theorganists' defence, here. I have never read anything he has posted that was anything other than civil and thoughtful.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Princess Entrapta

If this does mean a bunch to you, all the more reason to take some time off from TSW and try Arcade Paradise (that, and it's a really fun game).

upload_2022-8-17_14-7-29.png

No trains in it though, so it only gets a 3/10 (Unless it turns out the beat 'em up cabinet has a classic style train level, in which case that bumps it up to 10/10).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Alternatively, as criticism will often fly in from this forum regardless, at some point they have to just make a decision and say "this is what it is".

I don' think this is a "they know best"issue, as it's simply assigning a species of English for their own game, not dictating its preferability anywhere else.

Now, if they start doing streams with American accents and vocabulary, then the naysayers might have a point.

17. theorganist

Thank you for the support. I do try although sometimes I err!

• Like Like x 1
  18. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

yell.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  19. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - needlessly inflammatory]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  20. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

With regard to the "driver" vs "engineer" thing, I wouldn't have thought that had anything to do with the language itself, just the specific train you're driving. It's not as if either word doesn't exist in either versions of English.

If I'm driving an American train, I'd expect it to say "Engineer's Seat" regardless of if I had American or British English selected. Same for "Driver's Seat" on a British train.

• Like Like x 2
  21. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

On second thoughts, please don’t extend the Cornwall line into Plymouth. Rivet will probably put in Scones as collectables and we’d only have arguments as to whether to put the jam or the cream on first, not to mention how to pronounce the word Scone. (BTW, for reference, the “correct” way is to put the jam on first, then throw the cream in the bin!).

• Like Like x 4
  22. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

If we can accommodate "Schadenfreude" into the English language why not call it
    Ausbildungs- und Qualifizierungszentrum for short? :)
    it's nice and catchy...

• Like Like x 4
  23. theorganist

A fews years ago on holiday in Devon my mum commited the cardinal sin of going into a pasty shop and asking for a Cornish pasty! The lady serving turned the colour of beetroot and was very affronted. I hadn't realised that there was a specific Devon pasty!

24. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

As Jasper Carrot once said, the French say "La Weekend and le Picnic", who cares, it's all so passé.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Princess Entrapta

We'll just invest it in a Cornwall extension, put some into jam futures.... aaaaaand it's scone.

26. gazz292

Dosen't PC here stand for Politically Correct then?

• Like Like x 2
  27. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

I've seen it all now, people complaining about the spelling of a word in a game like it's the end of the world and I thought the TSW3 conspiracy thread was bad enough... Can you clearly understand what the word says? If yes then what the hell does the spelling matter, I think y'all need to get out the house more often and find something else to do.

• Like Like x 7
  28. gazz292

lets change the language used in the game to that used in Afghanistan, iraq or iran then?

i'm sure the american players will happily accept that, after all, it's only words and the way signs are written in the game.

29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I find quite funny to be honest

• Like Like x 1
  30. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Well, we don't know that, do we?

31. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

They also invented the freedom units system.^^

32. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

This thread is funny.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  33. tallboy7648

Who know people would take your joke question so seriously.

I understand the arguments but there are far more pressing issues that justify complaints than some word on a center that some may never use if they already know how to drive the train

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

It should be Central

35. tallboy7648

Also the country that defeated the British. It was a good thing we got independence from the British. Maybe if they hadn't treated the colonies badly, the colonies wouldn't have sought independence and American English may not have even existed.

Perhaps British English isn't widely used due to the fall of the British Empire. How the mighty British have fallen

36. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

He cwaeot. sootlice sum man haefde twegen suna. pa cwaeot se gingra to hys faeder. faeder syle me mynne dael mynre aehte. pe me to gebyreot. pa daelde he hym hys aehta.

Oops, sorry, I slipped into English there... You know, English before it started getting "dumbed down". I mean, I couldn't even type it out properly, having to use approximations to replace the letters that don't even exist in the language now...

(I'll get my coat.)

• Like Like x 1
  37. Princess Entrapta

Actually I'd love to see a few Iranian routes. Some pretty scenic ones, DTG could even cheap out and rehash the existing ICE units to do part of the new Tehran-Isfahan route.

• Like Like x 3
  38. mandonov

mandonov Active Member

Can’t you see how these two letters are destroying British culture!?!?!? :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  39. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Real estate isn't really appropos-- what's the population density of English-speakers in Siberia? If one looks instead at the number of native speakers, then the countries with the most native English speakers are, in descending order, the United States (331 million), the United Kingdom (60 million), Canada (19 million), Australia (at least 17 million), South Africa (4.8 million), Ireland (4.2 million), and New Zealand (3.7 million). To that add some unknown very large number of people in India for whom English is one side of a bilingual environment.

40. tallboy7648

Also English or "American English" isn't even the official language of the United States Of America. We have no official language. It's just the most common used. I could speak British English and no one would be up in arms about it

41. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Hehe, Schadenfreude, just like Realpolitik are philosphical terms. Ausbildungs- und Qualifizierungszentrum (hey or, Ausbildungs-, Zertifizierungs- und Qualifizierungszentrum) are not.

BTW: Your English is onewallfree. :D

42. gazz292

why don't we all speak chinese then? as that language is used by the most people in the world.

• Like Like x 2
  43. tallboy7648

In the NYC subway. The Train drivers are referred to as Train Operators :)

44. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Gawd, it seems after the TSW3 hype, everybody is on Speed.

45. tallboy7648

I thought Hindi was the most used language since India will soon have the largest population in the world

• Like Like x 2
  46. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of this meme.
    download (1).jpeg

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. gazz292

i got that wrong.... things must have changed since i last 'checked' (years ago admitadly)

The most spoken languages in the world
    1. English (1,132 million speakers) Native speakers: 379 million. ...
    2. Mandarin (1,117 million speakers) ...
    3. Hindi (615 million speakers) ...

• Like Like x 1
  48. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Spot on and for the British English it can be reflected in the local English take a look at Pakistani Hong Kong South Africa Malaysia Singapore Australia New Zealand English they use British vocabulary. In the case of Canada, theirs have become a mixture of American and British spelling rules. That means Canadian Spelling is influenced by Britain but when they speak it's closer to American English. Furthermore SPAD Signal Passed at Danger UK RAIB game over message should be the NTSB Federal Railroad Administration US Terminology Stop Signal Overrun SSO. If DTG needs to Tailor its game more to the US market

• Like Like x 2
  49. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, not exactly.
    For one thing, Noah Webster had no "brief from the US government" or any governmental involvement at all; his dictionary was just as much a private endeavor as Dr. Johnson's. Webster did however believe, as intensely as the editors of the OED some years later, that a dictionary should be descriptive, not prescriptive: it should reflect the way the language was used in real life, not try to force it into what some expert or other thought it ought to be (contrast the approach of the Academie Francaise). Webster reflected the usage of early 19th-century New England, just as Johnson reflected the usage of 18th-century London.

Those French influences- a very great many of those had nothing whatsoever to do with William the Conquerer, and everything to do with 17th- and 18th-century English pedants who insisted on re-Frenchifying and re-Latinising perfectly good English words for no reason; for example, the stupid silent B's in debt and doubt were stuck in just so the speller could show off his awareness of their connection to L. dubitus and debitus. Pretentious wankery, really, and stripping some of those back out was no loss. One of those pedantic Frenchifications was changing the old -er in Shakespeare's and Milton's center, theater etc. to centre, theatre, which occurred in the mid-18th century, and was spread by the influence of Johnson as well as by Thomas Sheridan (the man who invented Received Pronunciation or "posh English", as a vehicle for the social-climbing middle class).

After all, if you really want to see the effects of Norman French on English orthography, then you would have to go back to 14th-century Chancery Standard English, the first attempt made at standardising spelling... and one which would look really weird to a modern (for one thing, the language being spelt was pronounced entirely differently). Chaucer used pretty much CSE:
    I have gret wonder, be this lyght,/How that I live, for day ne nyght/I may nat slepe wel nigh noght,/I have so many an ydel thoght/Purely for defaute of slepe. But away from London, things were a lot less regular even at the same period: Queresoever I/jugged gemmes gaye/I sette hyr sengeley in synglure./Allas, I leste hyr in on erbere;/Thurgh gresse to grounde hit fro me yot./I dewyne, fordolked of luf-daungere/Of that pryvy perle withouten spot. (West midlands dialect).

• Like Like x 6
  50. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They haven't said they're not turning into "Mario Kart World" and making every driver princess peach either...

Absolutely. The reason I am fine with it is the same as all social experiments. When it fails we can get back to being somewhat sensible with who we trust millions of pounds of training and billions of pounds of planes to...

I hear that English was now "most spoken" because of the internet as well as maths and science basically using english as it's shared language internationally. Basically English is the most spoken 2nd language

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.