Make This The New Standard For Distant Scenery

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Aug 18, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Just watching the livestream and I’m really impressed with how the distant scenery has been modelled on this route.

I was fully expecting there to be vast areas of open and plain land, which several TSW routes suffer from, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the scenery was well placed, both near and far. As well as there being a nice variety of shrubbery and foliage used.

Can this be the new standard of distant scenery for ALL TSW 3 routes from now, as it’d be a real shame for it to be a ‘one off’ case.

14B7A450-F64A-40C1-85BE-ADF9A047BC01.jpeg

• Like Like x 37
  2. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Unfortunately shadow distance is still a joke.

• Like Like x 14
  3. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

That was a real wow shot, and there could have been many more but the pesky dynamic weather opted for heavy rain, lightning, and fog! And on that note the volumetric clouds + dynamic weather = the single best thing that has happened to TSW in a while. Absolutely mesmerising watching it evolve throughout the journey.

• Like Like x 2
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I will, of course, be posting a list of relevant ini tweaks to make the lighting look better for when I get my hands on it.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Now I'm curious how Cajon Pass actually looks like from the rail to the distant scenery vs the other way around..

6. Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist Member

I wish they had taken the time to include at least some of the landmarks along the route, like they did with Dresden-Riesa. I mean, at least the famous fortress of Würzburg should be visible, which is THE landmark to look for when approaching the city, but it looks like there's only trees there.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

I agree the scenary looks good, I hope we get this accross other routes, as I feel often German routes get alot of work. This is im guessing down to the great work of the devs working on these routes. I did notice also the games draw distance hid alot of further away details, meaning it will probably look even better with custom .ini and the DD pushed our farther. I hope we see some decent scenary on SEHS also.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Distant shadows are absolute framerate destroyers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Shadows in general are always pretty heavy to render in any game.

10. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

The really short draw distance of the rails’ shadow (as in tsw2 as well) continues to look terrible, it also pops in at varying distances at times, surely this can be increased in the engine on PC, it totally ruins the immersion.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  11. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Only future German content will have this. All routes from other countries will continue to have the standard distant scenery. ;)

12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I feel like this won't be the case. German routes tend to be the best quality whilst others are terrible or average

Hopefully it will be the new standard although the tunnel lighting when entering looked terrible although in fairness that was an issue in tsw 2 as well

13. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Thank you. Your tweaks made TSW2 a much better experience for me. Very looking forward to your tweaks. Tho I fear it might be a challenge to make .ini tweaks that look good on TSW2 content and TSW3 content at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

That draw distance of the rails was the first thing I noticed :(

• Like Like x 4
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

This is my concern with this game. Are these new features going to be here for all future routes or just one hit wonders

• Like Like x 1
  16. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So dynamic weather is forced?
    Cant just set sunny and it stays sunny?

17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just turn off "dynamic weather" when you select your run.
    I am hoping that it won't always be raining or thundery. Not every day goes from sun to rain etc

18. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yes, you can do all you could do in TSW2.

19. chieflongshin

I don’t mind rain occasionally but i wouldn’t want every run just because dynamic is on

• Like Like x 2
  20. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

This is the kind of good feedback, that adams team now tries to adress. As Matt said, they are now going back to a route directly after it releases to polish it. If it's really missing, I hope this is the kind of scenery patch we could expect 4-7 weeks after release :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

JD mentioned yesterday that he ran a route where it remained sunny throughout.

• Like Like x 2
  22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Exactly. "a sunny day" is as much a possibility in the South East of England as a "cloudy day which doesn't rain" etc etc

23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is the issue with dynamic weather. It is always going to change and it will invariably give you rain at some point. The stream showed that the dynamic will go through all the extremes and not just alter the weather a little bit. It will be a fun thing to put on every now and then and will be great for some of the short services there are in some TSW routes, where it won’t have the chance to do the whole I Spy book of weather types. A really good dynamic weather system would change things incrementally most of the time and have bigger changes only very occasionally but this system looks like it is cycling through a small number of presets not a large number of variables. I think it will be weighted to make the weather worse rather than better too so the chances of rain stopping will be next to none in game. It did seem to just get worse and worse in the stream.

• Like Like x 3
  24. chieflongshin

Will be interested to see over course of few runs if random is random or simply add rain

• Like Like x 2
  25. I find with scaling at 200% the draw distance for tracks and distant scenery is greatly improved. Its just the draw distance for lighting and shadows that let's it down. That's for tsw2 anyway.

Going on a route to route basis you can really tell some have received more love than others.

Hopefully this is the new standard and not just because it's been a year in the making.

• Like Like x 1
  26. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

One of the viaduct pillars is missing its shadow but the one further away from it has it.
    The shadow of the train seems to be gone too for the last 2.5-3 coaches.

It is work in progress, however taking into account everything that has been observed and posted in the threads after the preview stream, it seems that there are plenty of things to look into and little time left. And this is just one route, albeit some of the matters to look into are general.

27. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It doesn't always change. You can also have no changes with dynamic weather selected.

28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It will change eventually. Every time it makes a decision about whether to change or not there is an outcome that says stay the same. The chances of that happening every time is nil. It won’t only make a decision once in a long service, it will make several decisions. The system will have percentage chances for each eventuality and to make it more interesting and challenging they will be weighted more towards weather getting worse. They kind of said that in the stream with the percentages they gave as examples. We watched a service and the weather started with a small amount of cloud and ended up with lightning. If the percentages are weighted more in favour of it getting worse and the service is long enough then it will always eventually end up with the worst weather. How the outcome probabilities are weighted is very important in a system of this kind.

• Like Like x 2
  29. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Has it been explained if the dynamic weather system is a function of time only, or does it take distance into account? What I am asking: if I am wandering around a station, does the dynamic weather will change at the same „speed“ as if I would be travelling with a train? Both would be fine, just interested…

• Like Like x 1
  30. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

That's why sliders exist. If my setup can handle it, let me,

• Like Like x 3
  31. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

If you have both TSW2 and TSW3 installed, they will each have their own .ini files.

32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think what Kanga means is that in TSW3, the only routes with the new lighting system will be the new routes (post-Sept 2022), whereas all legacy routes running under TSW3 will still be using the old lighting system and the same .ini settings may not work well at all for them.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Exactly. With two lighting systems in one game, a fix that might make one look better worsens the other.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

There should be two settings, one for dynamic weather on/off and another to set the starting weather including a random option.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Yes, but atleast distance shadows for terrain should be a solved problem by now. This is imho the most annoying part, that the terrain is never casting shadow, until you are close.

DCS is able to cast distance shadows on terrain without any issues, it has full 24 cycle, the visibility in general is much largen than in TSW, and the maps are much largers, so I doubt they are doing any prebaked shenanigans.

Yes, different engine, but I would be surprised if UE was not able to replicate it... For me it looks more that DTG is unwilling to put the effort into it.

• Like Like x 1