Upcoming Release Master The Machine With Tsw3

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

People have been asking for Cajon and BNSF for TSW for awhile, it made the top 25 list of most requested routes in a poll years ago. Just because it's the least interesting for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Granted I still have my doubts for it, but it won't be due to location, it would be how DTG executed it.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Cajon Pass is a very good choice. And the C4 is a perfect choice to run on it. It's powerful and, if you can ever open it up, very fast (75mph). It's similar to the AC4400CW with even bigger radiators. If it's done right, it might become everyone's favorite American loco. It needs to have all the features for dynamic braking and MU/DPU operation. And that great BNSF livery ( BNSF is the only major railroad to buy this version, I believe ).
    As Blacknred81 said, it all comes down to how well DTG have modeled the loco.
    They need to get it spot on first time, outside and in. At almost $3,000,000 a pop, you only get one shot.;)
    Looking forward to the Cajon stream. You know it'll be rivet-counted.

• Like Like x 4
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And a damn length counter

(
    I'm sure I'm a minority here, but I have never liked the pumpkin look. They should have kept the classic Santa Fe liveries, with a name change,)

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And a little competition too. I am a big fan of Run8. This will be interesting. Barstow is the main hub there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blacknred81

Could of been worse, could of gotten the Vomit Bonnet as the official BNSF scheme.
    3034a46b4f23ea6587c23b2ff8d5ff95--train-museum-big-mac.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Good Lord... :)

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yuck!

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Unless the TSW3 route features "live" humping at Barstow (from what we can gather West Colton is not included) and the ability to run locals and have industry load and unload the various cars, it ain't going to beat Run 8 for operations at least!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Blacknred81

Yeah, the BN executive color is fine on its own, the "Superfleet" Warbonnet scheme is fine on its own, mashing them together is an ugly mess and I'm glad that paint is gone.
    044cbf96e39ee36530fcb87cc37c8d7b.jpg 48f3628c47b43fada68cea7c34e89fc8.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blacknred81

Even worse is what I've heard is that UP trains won't even sub on Cajon to Barstow (Where in real life they would run to Barstow to Dagget before splitting to Yermo and Las Vegas.) They will be AI only on the Palmdale Cutoff.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Crosstie

I kinda miss the old Cascade Green, inherited, I suppose, like the Warbonnet, from pre- merger schemes.

12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I wasn't expecting Run 8-level operations, but no UP subs is pretty disappointing.

Did they give any reason why?

13. Blacknred81

No clue, I haven't heard official word from DTG, just from what someone else said. Wonder if someone from DTG can clarify with the subbing.

I also want to know if I can use scenerio planner to start a train on the Palmdale Cutoff, then use either the crossover at Keenbrook or Silverwood to use BNSFs Cajon sub to Barstow to simulate eastbound UP movements.
    11-99991.jpg 11-99992.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  14. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

A lot of US fans would prefer a route with more interchange, local freight and passenger traffic - ideally set in the transition era with diesel and steam locos (still the most popular era for model railroads). That would make for better gameplay. Famous routes and spectacular scenery may seem exciting but aren't necessarily the most interesting operationally - especially when set in the modern era.

• Like Like x 3
  15. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

It won't. It'll be like any other we already have with DTG shortcuts taken anywhere they can, you can cut the air in on the screen, use a distance counter, and hit the "banking comm" button but the sim does everything else.
    I just picked up Run8 and I think this is going to be my go to for US freight now. Having DPU fencing and the locomotive monitor screens on the MFD, along with the HUD that shows coupler stress, make the drive and managing the train so much more interesting. But also having the freedom to do more things like hooking up MU cables, airhoses, placing EOT, etc., make things so much better than just hitting the couple/uncouple or "banking comm" buttons and letting the sim do everything. TSWs graphics are [generally] pretty good, but I think I've just hit the point where the simplistic operations just aren't enough and I don't see DTG changing that anytime soon.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blacknred81

Unfortunately, we have to be a bit realistic with our expectations from DTG. Especially since they seem to lack the will to do more than 1 new loco per route, with most routes having the 2nd route be a rehash of an existing loco (Usually the SD40-2 or GP38-2). At least the 3 bay covered hopper on Cajon "should" open up local services in Hesperia.

Trust me, I would love DTG to do something like a transition Era Southern Pacific route on the Peninsula Corridor with the beautiful Coast Daylight, mixed with GP9s or FM Trainmasters handling the local commute between San Francisco and San Jose with the all the industries spotted in between the Santa Clara and Bayshore yards. But it ain't gonna happen.... (I doubt I could even get a 3rd party to do that in TSC either...)

• Like Like x 3
  17. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

The BN Executive scheme was created for the launch of the SD70-MAC, used exclusively for coal trains.
    Of course that was at the beginning. Later due to locomotives requirements where used on any trains.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  18. grdaniel48

What about a future "Expansion Pack" - like the Koln Aachen one - but for local freights or special ones...!.

• Like Like x 1
  19. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Yes I'd certainly buy that on preorder! You may be right about DTG but they did put two new locos (and steam at that) on SOS so I am still hoping...

20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That should work and then be added to a European route that has a Hump Yard off map. RRO RSN Hagen Vorhalle if Merged Riesa-Dresden Dresden Friedrichstadt. Hannover Kassel Wurzburg has two RBF Fulda and Kassel.
    Here's RBF Kassel video. During the Daytime 363 204 G6 shunt here. At night 22:00-06:00 363 204 G6 forms a Departing train towards Wurzburg from Rbf Kassel using the SFS

21. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Bold of you to assume that the Banking Comm will even work

• Like Like x 2
  22. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

I know that the game is currently not set up for it, but it should be an easy fix. Someone else suggested that it could require time table changes, but I don't see why it should. All the basic characteristics would be the same (dimensions of the loco, power), the minimum requirements in terms of safety systems (pzb, sifa) would remain the same. Newer version bring improvements in the form of lzb, better sounds, and better PIS. All they need to change in the game code is the reference of where the files can be found.

23. Crosstie

Unfortunately, this will be the norm in TSW ad infinitum. We can only hope that the decoupling of trains from routes will encourage the production of loco dlc, which is not currently part of the business plan.

When the original announcement of TSW was made, I genuinely ( and naively ) imagined this kind of thing would happen.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Blacknred81

Still wondering how they will do that for most North American locomotives. Will we only get 1 loco in 1 configuration? Or will we get a loco with multiple paint schemes in a pack?

Example would be like if DTG made the ET44.
    Would we get just a BNSF ET44C4 for Cajon, or will they sell it in a pack with UP, CSX, CN, and NS ET44ACs with layers into appropriate routes?

Outside of Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern and Ferromex, we have most NA Class 1s covered with at least 1 route.

25. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And yet if you look at the suggestions a lot of them ARE high speed trunk route runs such as the ECML and WCML in the UK and ICE in Germany, so there are a fair amount of people who WANT high speed, A2B runs with all green lights.

For some perhaps. Not a fan of steam myself. Give me Liverpool to Manchester with a few sprinter classes (or anywhere out of Leeds, York, Cardiff... basically the regions)

26. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

27. MAX1319

28. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

IMHO they should never have used UE4 nevermind thinking about using UE5. It's causing so many problems.

• Like Like x 4
  29. max1313

max1313 Active Member

I was very excited when I first heard the news of TSW 3. It was hyped with the 24 hours teaser. I wanted to like it . I own TSW 2 on PC and Xbox X and train simulator classic on PC.I love playing those games. After watching the Thursday’s stream I realized that TSW3 in my opinion is not ready. I think it would have been better if they would had come out with the rush hour style release for the 3 routes. I’m not a fan of freight especially when we have so many American freight routes. In my opinion they should had come out with an American commuter route.or this was the perfect opportunity for American high speed with a release of Acela.Hopefully we can get an extension for the Brighton main line with London bridge and extension of Harlem line.

• Like Like x 6
  30. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope we’ll see a Harlem line extension sometime soon or lirr extension for TSW 3.

• Like Like x 1
  31. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

then u can just not have LZB or CIFA on mate. Use ur head

32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Do the changes for LZB mentioned here and there also apply to such locomotives as BR 155 or only 403 for the new route? Are these global changes?

33. Blacknred81

Again, the split between DTG US freight routes and US passenger route is pretty even. The last US route was Harlem Line, a US commuter route. Cane Creek and Horseshoe Curve DO NOT COUNT as those are 3rd party developed by SHG.

PASSENGER
    -Peninsula Corridor
    -Long Island Railroad
    -Boston Sprinter
    -Harlem Line

FREIGHT
    -Oakville Sub
    -Sand Patch Grade
    -Clinchfield Railroad
    -Sherman Hill
    -Cajon Pass

DEFUNCT
    -NEC: New York

3rd Party
    -Cane Creek
    -Horseshoe Curve

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think there may be some confusion created by the Training Centre having the train tutorials located there. In the first route preview, there was a training section within the route and that had the route introduction and an LZB tutorial. I would have expected to also see links to the tutorials for the included trains too which would open up within Training Centre but they didn’t appear to be there.

One thing that was plainly obvious to players in the old way of doing the tutorials was the indication of the included trains in the route and the tutorials for them were right there in the route menu. With so many different versions of the same train it may well become difficult to get to the correct tutorial from inside Training Centre. It may become clearer in the preview of Training Centre this week if it is obvious within that facility what routes trains are from but it seems like a missed opportunity not having links to the correct tutorials in the route menu.

In any case there appears now to be a situation where under the Tutorials tab in the route menu there may not be any tutorials at all. If there isn’t a special system involved it will only have a route introduction and no tutorials. I’m hoping for clarification on this in the streams this week.

• Like Like x 1
  35. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  36. grdaniel48

I have suggested that several months ago.
    Locomotive packs by model for different US Railroads!.
    A kind of "Expansion Pack", adding new layers too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. grdaniel48

In my case, i will prefer a "mixed" route about speed instead!
    I mean... as DTG mentioned the high speed distance on Koln - Aachen and Munich Augsburg is too short.
    But the new one on TSW3, it's too long, from the entertaining point of view.
    I mean, the route could be longer like that with 190 kms, but not all on high speed.
    To have around 50 - 70 kms of "normal" speed limits, driving with other regional and freight trains.

I have seen cab videos of Germany where the train is an ICE, but you see other trains around - like regionals, freights, IC, etc.
    Of course it is not a proper High speed only, but that mix will be great

• Like Like x 1
  38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think the issue here is that there ARE people who like high speed continuous running and want to be able to get it to full throttle through some great scenery
    There are others who want a mix of traffic, maybe some adverse signals and a bit more to do

We already HAVE routes like the former (pick any German route to date) so this one is for the people who want a long uninterrupted drag in the sunshine, and the fun comes out at night (when all the freight takes over the line)

• Like Like x 2
  39. MAX1319

Freight at nights sounds great if the lighting is good. And we just don't know how it looks yet. so far the lighting with all the tunnels just in out is not that good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Leaks r on purpose you know

• Like Like x 1
  41. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Not all leaks. JD's leak was not meant to come out but the regular leaks afterwards were so obviously so. Perhaps an attempt to save face?

• Like Like x 1
  42. philwest#7393

philwest#7393 Member

P
    While I get the lighting coming out, I don’t understand the lighting going in, I have never seen that effect at the exit end as you enter a tunnel, hope they get rid of it! Tunnel lighting seems to have been a problem in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  43. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good question and for UP CSX CN and NS (Norfolk Southern) DTG needs to know what number range those Class 1 Railroads have for the ET44C4. On Sand Patch Grade I can see the CSX ET44C4 offer improved travel time when paired with an SD40 Clinchfield Version. Took me 2hr 15 to do Q116 Chicago to Chambersburg PA using Clinchfield SD40 with AC4400CW.
    58% completion for the Burning Diesel achievement CRR SD40 100 miles 19% completion 500 miles UP/CSX AC4400CW

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  44. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

They can't get rid of it just yet. Matt said it was caused by going from dynamic lighting to baked lighting in tunnels which causes unreal to go crazy and cause the bright flash. It can't be solved yet since it's a complicated issue but they are looking into improving it.

45. junior hornet

Can someone please tell me when the Training Center stream is to be shown? I thought it was tonight but there was just a stream of Sam driving round some random track with some random trains. There was nothing about training mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  46. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Eye adaption and funnel baking seems to be greatly improved on the latest stream, shown on the test route.

Hopefully this has been fixed for all three TSW 3 routes.

48D4CA12-0933-4BC7-8BAC-142AAA87D273.jpeg 5F6AEA83-5834-4AA0-851A-DE2CDB4879C2.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  47. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

That was the training center. You can drive any train you want on a test track and do tutorials which Sam decided not to do so he struggled with some locomotives.

48. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

looked like he needed to do some training :)

• Like Like x 1
  49. grdaniel48

Yes, I know that, and it is OK.
    May be what I have mentioned could be like SEHS route (mixing high speed + normal one), but on a German route instead.

50. junior hornet

Isn’t the point of a Training Center preview to show training, i.e. tutorials, not what takes Sam’s fancy? Very disappointed with this stream. Told me nothing.

• Like Like x 5