Derailment Physics?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dangerousdave, Aug 21, 2022.

1. DTG JD

In the early days of tsw when a train derailed it pretty much fell over and slid along the line like any train would in real life.

Now it normally ends up with the trains ending up in low orbit or taking to the air in one way or another.

In terms of realism, why have dtg made it like this please?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Because Companys don't want to see their trains derail

3. Why not just disable derailments completely then?

• Like Like x 1
  4. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Because then people would say "It is totally unrealistic, you can't even derail. TSW is an arcade game."

5. I mean if there wasn't this fling it into the air trigger would we be having so many issues with derailments?

• Like Like x 1
  6. It is totally unrealistic.

7. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

One must ask why do you want to have trains crash and derail anyway??, It doesn't add anything to the gameplay aspects in any shape or form.

• Like Like x 3
  8. It's all part of the simulation. Same as the way death is simulated in shooters and crashes are simulated in driving/racing games.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

They prefer seeing their trains flying into the air?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Virgin might.
    I get you point though.

11. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

They have simulated it though. Go too fast round a corner and you will derail.

For licensing reasons they have to stop the locomotive dead and finish the session.

I don’t know why it shoots up sometimes but at a guess I would assume all the simulated mass and momentum is directed in a different direction when the train stops.

If you want a good crash then use Trainz- I used to love driving in a river lol.

12. Not interested in crashes just wondering why they changed the physics. And weather this contributes to the masses of derailment problems.

13. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. It adds nothing. I should definitely be able to take an ICE 3M around a non-super-elevated curve on a heritage rail line at 230km/h with no consequences.

• Like Like x 3
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If your train falls over you have probably derailed properly. If it flies into orbit and does somersaults it’s probably derailed because of a bug. Derailments due to bugs or badly coded dynamic brakes on AC locos or a mixture of the two are really spoiling my enjoyment of HSC at the moment. Someone somewhere has messed with the force. I’d like there to be a disable derailments option just for that but it may not solve the issues.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, flying trains are nothing new to Train Simulator. Maybe DTG wanted to relive the classics #joke
    train-simulator-off-da-railz-flying-sky-no-gravity-1396265638E.gif

• Like Like x 5
  16. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Whatever is going on with the physics right now basically rendered me incapable of playing services on Tharandter Rampe, because when I start one it's 50/50 if my locomotive is going to launch vertically into the air before I even have time to touch any of the controls.

17. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Last night the train derailed by falling over. It looked like a proper derailment, except for the fact I was driving at around 80km/h to Dresden when the speed suddenly switched to 168km/h on the speedometer. This was after loading a save game, so I've reported it on the save game bug spreadsheet, although it might be a known issue that happens sometimes regardless of saving...

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Maybe they should have a derailments spreadsheet as well to track where and when they are occurring as they do seem to be mainly bug induced at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Garrison

Garrison Member

I think adding the physics back will make it realistic. It will simulate what will actually happen showing players to take more care of the train in operation

20. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

TSW6 will be all about collecting ice creams you will see. Derailment - I don't care about crash movie effects I just want train to behave realistic, like in MFS if you screw up game just stop/pause, no fire or bum but realistic cause and effect. Right now you can light speeding in tsw and its ridiculous.

21. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

it pops out from the rail. i occationally overspeed because i turn off speed indication HUD, and every time i passing curves with high speed i feel weirdness because it doesn't tilt but attaches to rail firmly. it might be not that important, but... again, feels weird for me.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  22. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky

• Like Like x 1