Scenario Comments

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by ARuscoe, Sep 18, 2018.

?

Is this scenario any good?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2018.
  1. Yes, everything worked for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but there were issues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care / I don't do workshop scenarios

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nope, too many issues to make it any good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, it was rubbish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Don't have the DLCs required

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Moved from MS Surface to a full PC with a proper sized monitor so decided to give scenario creation a bash.

Living in Gillingham means that I would obviously start there so I've created a scenario where you form a 10 car consist and then run through Medway to Strood, of course moving an empty train makes you bottom of the pile when it comes to priority!

Please give it a go and comments, suggestions and directions always welcome

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515699696

Requirements are Chatham Mainline, Faversham High Speed, Sheerness Extension

2. JFH

JFH Member

Just looked at it. Can't seem to make the formation up out of the depot. As soon as I join the 465's together, the scenario ends because of a SPAD?

Am I missing something here?

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Press tab to get permission to pass signal, another thing is check the switch you may need to manually change it yourself.

4. ARuscoe

Please post a picture of the error. You should be connecting the 465s together, then the 466, then running over to the departure and waiting for the red to clear. (Approx 45-60 seconds)
    If you’re getting faults before this it’s more likely to be you’re coupling too fast and hitting the now rear unit into the buffers and derailing

5. JFH

JFH Member

I'm coupling at about 0.2mph according to the HUD. As soon as the units couple, it jumps to 0.7mph and immediately SPAD's.

See here:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. ARuscoe

Ok. That’s weird... I’ve not seen that before. Can you go into the scenario, immediately restart it and try again

7. JFH

JFH Member

I've tried this a few times. It's the same result every time. If I'm in the cab facing 180, I SPAD, if I reverse into the unit I also SPAD. What makes it even more confusing is you can see 180 jump forward away from the buffers when it couples so the SPAD is just bizarre.

8. ARuscoe

When I have done it (just a couple of dozen times making sure of timings etc) I've not changed ends until getting to the departure and done all the coupling as reversing. So forward from the start then reverse to the 465, forwards again then back up to the 466... Haven't got a video of me doing it though (something I've yet to try). Looks like you're doing the same so I don't know why it's doing it.
    Don't know if DTG would look into a ticket for this as it's unusual which suggests something else broken other than the scenario.

9. JFH

JFH Member

Eh... I'll give it some time and try it again, still got 20+ of my own scenarios to put together at the moment. First one should be complete soon hopefully. :)

10. ARuscoe

I've tried others and "run into problems" lol... they're a pain

11. JFH

JFH Member

That's why mine are 10% concept, 20% creation, 65% testing and 5% finalising.. ;-)

12. ARuscoe

mine are about 40% creation and 40% testing... I seem to be trying to be complex for the dispatcher

13. JFH

JFH Member

That's something I've run into numerous times, it sucks. :/

So I either have tone down the amount of AI or timetable everything. I've yet to do scenarios on busier sets of track but that's probably going to be painful when my SWC pack is done.

14. ARuscoe

All I want to do is have two passenger trains cycling through from Sheerness to Sittingbourne, but as soon as one has to wait at the single track section the whole thing fails... So either you end up with no AI (ie boring) or it fails the scenario with trains not knowing where they're going.
    Guess I need to learn more about scenario making

15. Rockforger

Rockforger New Member

I'm sure JFH can help you with that. :)
    He's tested the scenario on my computer (and it works) so it must be a setting that he has on his machine. But since we've managed to play the scenario through to completion now we can give you some thoughts about it as well as some ideas to improve it.

Scenario was great, good length, good selection of AI traffic with a few adverse aspects thrown in to keep people alert. We're not sure if this was based on a real timetable but it would sure pass as one.

The shunting aspect at the beginning was quite enjoyable. Even with the time limit of 9 minutes to form the train, it's still doable. We made a mistake when shunting to the depot exit but we still managed to keep to time. We'd thought that you'd have made custom names for the consists when coupling to them (e.g. 465180 instead of the coach numbers) but that's just a minor detail.

Strangely we got an AWS warning on a green signal when leaving the depot but we're not sure if that's intentional or not since we don't know the Gillingham area.

Some improvements to the scenario that could be made include possibly mixing up the liveries on the 10-car we're driving just to make it a bit more interesting. (e.g. 2x blue, 1x yellow). You could try putting a cinematic shot at the beginning of the scenario to introduce things. Maybe a fly-over of the depot and then zooming in on your train?

Overall, that was a nice laid back scenario with enough challenge to make it interesting. We'd give you 4.5 stars out of 5 for it.

16. ARuscoe

Nobody else has reported issues, so I'd guessed it was something "local"

I did wonder if 9 minutes was cutting it a bit fine, but it's actually only 6 movements to the departure and thankfully a 15mph speed limit. Not sure on the AWS on departure so will check that. The signal on the departure is dodgy anyway, it will let you TAB past it even when the line is busy.

I will look into fly-by in the future

Thank you for your review

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Could the Scenario start with the units pre-coupled?
    Or could the coupling be done from the unit on the block as you move away from the buffers?

It might solve a few problems and people might try it.

Peter

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  18. ARuscoe

I think there's more than enough "preformed units which you jump in and drive" type scenarios, hence preferring making scenarios where you have a bit more to do than "set the lights, put it in forward, drive".
    Just my preference and people are more than able to look elsewhere

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sorry, just trying to suggest a way so it did not cause a Spad when coupled.
    I won't make that mistake again :mad:

20. ARuscoe

It was an issue at the user end rather than the scenario itself. Thankfully