Any Msts Users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dangerousdave, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Anyone still running msts?

2. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

Judging by the lack of activity, No!

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It’s installed along with Open Rails but I haven’t driven anything in it for ages.

• Like Like x 3
  4. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’d like to, just to see how it has aged, but all my MSTS stuff is on disc and my current PC has no disc drive and it almost certainly won’t run in Windows 10 in any case.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I still have it on CD along with a few DLCs but for me it doesn’t run anymore on Windows 10 however much I play with the compatibility settings. My old laptop with XP died a few months ago, so no more MSTS for me.

I doubt I would play it much anyway, but I was interested to see if I could still make it work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's rather dated. I was gonna see if I could get it working on vm! I've got the main game on a USB stick. All the other dlc I had I can't find!

There's one in particular I'm looking for that covers southeast England. Anyone know where I can get my hands on it please?

Thanks.

7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have all the original discs and many 3rd party routes and locos. I could drag up an old PC from the basement and try and run it, but I think I'll just hang on to the memories.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Are you sure?

9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Few years ago I played it but it looks so outdated now unfortunately ....

10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I recall it had a very flexible save game feature. Twenty years later, look how far we've come. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  11. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

I think I ignited an old flame. XD

12. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Yes! However, I'm not playing it at the moment, but it's still installed alongside OpenRails. And in the absence of a game PC on a now older laptop with Linux. Here it runs very well under "Wine" which is not an emulator.

It all started for me with MSTS, it happened pretty soon after it was released. I loved it from the start! But since I've been away from Windows for twelve years and many games don't run 100% under Linux, I stopped playing more and more. But then I got interested again and MSTS went very well. I even ordered some AddOns.

In the meantime, however, I had a PS4 and looked to see what else was out there. And I discovered TSW2020! A train simulator for the Playsi??? WTF!!! I've been with TSW ever since and I can't let it go.

But I also have a soft spot for retro games, because I grew up with the Amiga 500. And I think that MSTS doesn't have to hide even today. After all, it still does exactly what you expect it to do.

If I had still had a Windows PC back then, I would definitely have ended up at TSC. I don't know if that runs on Linux. But TSW on Playsi and on TV is a great thing. It's a shame that I'll probably never get to know TSC and I don't want to invest at the same time. But I still have the good old MSTS. It's an oldie but a goldie! :love::D:cool:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  13. junior hornet

Hands up anyone old enough to remember Flying Train. It was a ZX81 game on the B-side (remember those?) of a single called Camouflage by Chris Sievey. It also included a ZX81 “video” which played in sync with the record. You had to copy the track onto a cassette tape then load it up from there. Then you pressed play when the music started.

The video is on Youtube and, for it’s age, isn’t bad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I‘m pretty sure I still have it. It‘ll be in my Dad’s attic somewhere along with my ZX81 (sadly no longer functioning).

15. junior hornet

Yes, I’ve still got my copy but, sadly, not the ZX81.

• Like Like x 1
  16. trpted

trpted Member

Quick quote from https://raildriver.com/support/raildriver.php

By MSTS assests this means routes and consists (read: trains).

While I got OR working on my Windows XP and beyond computer, I like TSW2 on my PS4 better.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  17. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Tried re-installing MSTS a while back in comparability mode as used to love mick clarke’s Middle East plus route (London to York in BR blue) but the menus wouldn’t load in properly and sound was choppy as all hell. I’ll keep the memories I think, MSTS was very special

• Like Like x 1
  18. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I bought the original MSTS back when it first came out. I haven't played it since 2005.

19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Best if you can to get it running under Open Rails. However despite what the pundits would have you believe you do need MSTS installed for the core files if you want to run the old routes. Mid East Plus is a classic, even if not fully to scale. Another classic is the North Wales Coast, the likes of which with its stock pack we are unlikely to ever see in TSW. I am quite partial to some of the Aussie routes from Steam4Me too, like Coals to Newcastle.

Still it’s testimony to MSTS that it lasted as long as it did and ironically it is MS’ own changes to its operating system, by removing support for Securom, that nuked being able to install from the CD’s.

• Like Like x 2
  20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I installed it via open rails during the pandemic but try as I might I couldn't enjoy it even the NWC route which had such an amazing array of stock including several first generation DMU's. Something we haven't seen in either of DTG's sims.

21. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I remember loading the PSION Flight Simulator onto the ZX81. Storaged on a music casette.
    64x64 pixels resolution, you needed quite a bit of fantasy and good will. But yeah .... sigh, I´m gettin´old.

• Like Like x 1