How Fast Do You Need To Go To Derail?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Purno, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Now, I normally don't go over the speed limit, but as the tier 2 mastery for WSR is the last one I need to complete (and I want to do so before TSW3 in case something goes wrong in the process), I thought lets drive a little faster.

I started relatively 'careful', as I was scared I might derail, but it seems that I didn't. So I went even faster in the next run. Still no derailment. So I went full-throttle.

Never gotten a Class 47 at 120mph before, but, despite TSWs realistic physics, I still didn't derail. Which made me wonder, if going 120mph over the WSR doesn't derail you, how fast do you need to go to derail?

• Like Like x 2
  2. It varies some route you can easily pass a 20mph junction at 100mph others 10mph overspeed can derail. And some like you must be well aware of you don't even need to be moving to derail.

3. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

In the Santiago de Compostela derailment they drove twice the allowed speed.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you want to derail at 5mph, try adding a dab of dynamic brake on the ES44AC in HSC then release it again. Boom, off to the stars you go. Weeee, end of session… rage, followed by lots of pink milk to sooth you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Another method is trying to couple to an AAR-equipped goods waggon at 10-20 mph (16-30 kmh) on Routes that require shunting them Sand Patch Grade Horseshoe Curve Sherman Hill Oakville Subdivision Penninsula Corridor. I did this many times before a forum user told me to go lower around 3-5 mph (5-10 kmh).

6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

It's pretty variable, depends where you're driving, in what.
    I've locked the throttle open on WSR, gone to make a cup of tea, and never derailed. Meanwhile 100% of my DCZ derails have been while my train was stationary.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That would also cause a derailment in real life! That's INSANELY fast, and would likely get the engineer involved a no-tea-or-biscuits meeting with management.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Fun fact, some Class 1 railroads made transparent boxcars to show what happens when you couple cars together too fast.
    p01760.jpg
    sfr35.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´ve done WSR in Class 33 and 47 with firewalled throttles. Yet, no derailing.
    On MSB are stationary freight services which derail instantaneously before you can say "derailm......."

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are two derailment issues and one relates to the trains now loading and being too long for their allotted spot so they hang over buffers and instantly derail. This one has been acknowledged by DTG. The other is the physics based derailments while driving and I’m not sure DTG have said anything about this particular issue. I could have missed it but the last communication I saw seemed to just be concerned with the derailments on loading.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

There is a setting to turn off derailments. If you're having trouble causing a derailment you might want to check it.

Funny someone mentioning a coupling at 20mph. I was doing something on Clinchfield. I coupled at 10mph with 10 cars on my engines. I lifted the car I coupled into off the ground. Thankfully it was the last objective of the scenario. Not only did I not fail the service by causing a derailment I completed the service with a gold medal! Funny moment I guess.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What is the safe speed for them to couple because When you are coming in from the West side of Cumberland Yard using SD40-2 GP38-2 Clinchfield SD40 you will slightly pickup speed towards them

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I believe it is something like < 4 MPH/6 km/h to avoid getting a coupling derailment.

14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Running the " Wet Coal " scenario in HSC, I turned away and temporarily lost control of the train. I was hurtling along around curves at almost 50mph at times, but never derailed.

Actually I seem to be immune to derailments of any kind. I guess that last Covid shot was more effective than I thought.

By the by, when I first started the scenario, contrary to the voice over intro, banking com was not switched on for the rear locos.

15. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Or perhaps you just have that anti-derailment option checked without realizing it? I imagine that checked is the default setting.

16. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Actually the driver hit an 80 km/h tight curve at 180 km/h. That is slightly more than double the speed :)

• Like Like x 1