A Question For Jd Or The Devs Regarding Backwards Compatibility...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by waggie#5150, Aug 18, 2022.

1. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Ok, so with the DLC's for the first two games being delisted on the Xbox store when TSW3 comes out, and TSW Compatible add-ons becoming the new way of purchasing...does this mean that any add-ons I have purchased for TSW2 and use within 3/download the compatible version will allow me to download the versions for TSW2020 too?

Only reason I ask is because I've been buying the DLC's within TSW2020 to get access in TSW2 too, but there are unfortunately some add-ons I have within 2 that are not available to me (despite owning it) within 2020 because of the 'no backwards compatibility'.

So, to pose the question again:

1. If I own the TSW Compatible add-on for TSW3 (through purchasing it for 2020 or TSW2) does that entitle me to download it for 2020 (say if I only own that add-on within TSW2)?

Would be great to get it ironed out as lack of backwards compatibility has always been a gripe of mine with TSW. If you buy an add on for 2 (that's the same as 2020) it should entitle you to that version too, instead of potentially charging £25 to get access to it in that version.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  2. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Tsw 2 content are not been delisted from store. neither tsw 2020.

3. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Yes it is ^ it's even mentioned in the FAQ's that they will no longer be available for purchase individually. They will only be available through the TSW Compatible add-ons which are only available in TSW3, which is where my question comes into play.

From the TSW3 FAQ: Train Sim World 3 FAQ : Dovetail Support (freshdesk.com)

"Xbox - Store pages for previous Train Sim World add-ons will still be visible on Xbox platforms. However, they will not be purchasable. Therefore, you will need to look out for store pages with the Train Sim World Compatible logo to purchase an add-on."

4. Observadorpt

Yes but it still be there to purchase with TSW 3 compatible add-on and still be playable in Tws 2

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DLC are "forward compatible" (as per Tuesday's stream) so that would mean NOT backwards compatible. I imagine this is to miss anyone purchasing a TSW2 DLC and expecting it to work in TSW2020

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Only if they were originally available for TSW2020. Any DLC that was released after the launch of TSW2 won’t be available to use in TSW2020 because it was never available in that game.

7. Observadorpt

I have talked to DTG Alex that says that Dlcs for tsw 2 still gonna be purchasable to play in tsw 2 only now playable in tsw 3 too.

8. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

I've been working in the games industry for the past 3 years and I'm all well and good with understanding what forwards and backwards compatibility means, however, forwards compatibility would be you'd buy the DLC add-on for the earliest instalment and that would carry through to the latest. That is currently what we have in place. If you buy the TSW2020 add-on, you get it in TSW2, and obviously TSW3.

However, with this new TSW Compatible add-on stuff, that grants you access to all versions (which in essence is backwards compatible from TSW3 down to 2020). My question is, if you own a TSW2 add-on that's also available, but not owned for 2020 (lets say the West Somerset add-on), does this grant you the *TSW Compatible* version and will that result in access to all prior versions for TSW2 and 2020?

9. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Yes, I do understand that's the case. I wouldn't expect any add-ons such a HSC or Cane Creek to work with 2020 as they were never available on that version of the game.

I'm more curious as to whether if you buy or own a DLC in any variation of the game, it grants you access to EVERY version of that DLC for all games. I haven't double dipped on anything yet and I simply refuse to, but I'd like my add-ons I own in TSW2 that I don't own in 2020 to be available so I can earn my achievements there too.

10. ARuscoe

You say this then continue to ask about backwards compatibility...
    DTG have NOT said their DLC are backwards compatible. Never have, never will so the remainder of your query is answered with "No"

11. ARuscoe

More correctly
    If you buy a licence for a TSW DLC in whatever version of TSW you like you will also receive licenses for each newer version of that DLC going forwards
    So
    TSW -> TSW2 -> TSW3
    or
    TSW2 -> TSW3

As an example, if you have SEHS in TSW2 you will be given a license for the TSW3 version of that DLC. You won't be able to play the TSW2 version IN TSW3 (they're not porting the TSW2 version over). Same goes for SoS, they've made a TSW3 version of SoS with new lighting and clouds. The old version will NOT be available in TSW3
    All other DLC are coming to TSW3 in their TSW2 forms, but again they have different licenses within the stores selling them, hence you being granted a license for them. Example of this is the core TSW2 routes. People will get a TSW3 DLC license for these once they've been "decoupled" and TSW3 versions put on the various stores.

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Right, I get your question now. I believe it will unlock the TSW2020 routes you only currently own in TSW2 but I’m not 100% sure of that. It looks like it is the case for any new purchases but I’m not certain on stuff you already have. I’m not even sure if JD would know that for certain. If you aren’t planning on double dipping, and you really shouldn’t just to get achievements, then the best bet is to wait and see if they become available to download in TSW2020 once TSW3 releases and the new way of presenting DLC is activated in the stores.

13. ARuscoe

THis hasn't been the case from what I have seen. It's only forwards

On Xbox achievements earn real life rewards...

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It has been forwards only in the past but the way things are happening on the stores is changing. TSW compatible now unlocks all versions available. It’s a new system that we haven’t seen in action yet.

I doubt the rewards from the extra achievements would cover the cost of a second version of the route if you had to buy it.

15. ARuscoe

That's not what DTG said on stream Tuesday. They specifically used the term "forwards compatible"... Going to go find it in the stream just to make sure

Hence the person asking if they got it for free I imagine. Easy (free) rewards

16. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Firstly, I'm not asking about what backwards compatibility is in general, that's easy to understand. What I'm asking is in reference to Dovetail and TSW's incredibly convoluted way of doing things. If they're removing all of the old DLC's for purchase for TSW2020 and TSW2, how are we going to be able to get access to those if they haven't already been purchased? Through the TSW Compatible add-ons which APPEAR to be backwards compatible as if you buy one, it grants you all versions available.

It was a question aimed at the people who actually know what the situation is with it, hence why I mentioned JD and the dev's. All you've done is add speculation to a topic that hasn't been explained very well to say the least.

17. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Thanks for being level headed about it stujoy. That's what I would ideally do, but, if there's routes that aren't going to be available to purchase anymore for 2020 and TSW2 after delisting, I'd rather snap them up before the 6th. However, if the TSW Compatible add-ons do grant you with add-ons for previous iterations of TSW, then I'll be incredibly happy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

I'm literally asking because I want to go back and complete games I've started, ya know. I don't want to belittle you here, but there's a pretty big gaming community that revolves around achievements and trophies. Just so happens that I enjoy playing TSW and completing things! Wow, would you believe it! I enjoy playing games and add-ons that I've paid for!

It has nothing to do with receiving things for free, or earning rewards.

19. ARuscoe

Been back through Tuesday's stream (using 5 second skip for much of it) and from what I can see they only mention licenses once which is around 01:07:30 and they specifically say that all licenses are "forward compatible", ie you buy it in TSW and it goes forwards
    Haven't seen any mention from DTG about them giving licenses back down the dev stream

I haven't seen it specifically stated by DTG that they ARE removing all previous versions of DLC for all previous versions of TSW. I've seen players state it but not seen or heard it from DTG themselves. I've seen the "TSW compatible" logo on the "freedom" video put out earlier this week but not that they're stopping selling anything as such

I understand that concept of course. I think the way DTG generally work is that people are more likely to continue on the newest gen of their software rather than "completing the same thing three times so they can say they've completed the game"

Given I hate giving "bad info" I will try to track down any mention of DLC licenses going "the other way"...

20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

From the TSW3 FAQ on the support page…

What is a “Train Sim World Compatible” Add-on?

When you browse the store on your chosen platform, you will find a single store page for every add-on made for a Train Sim World game, instead of one for each game.

However, purchasing add-ons marked with the “Train Sim World Compatible” logo (see below) will entitle you to that add-on in Train Sim World 3 and any previous Train Sim World games that may be applicable (on the same platform and account).

Train Sim World Compatible add-ons allow Train Sim World 3 to be backward compatible with add-ons that were created for a previous game. However, Add-ons with this logo will not have Train Sim World 3 exclusive features.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Tbh I can't see how any TSW2 purchased DLC would work in TSW2020. It was never backwards compatible. If you bought a TSW2 version of a route but not a TSW2020 version, you couldn't play it (I did this with WSR by accident).
    TSW2 had 2 new engine upgrades (one was the release version 4.23 and one was last year to 4.26) and the TSW2020 versions were updated to the new versions with the preservation crew for use in TSW2 only. The TSW2020 version remained the same.

TSW3 will most likely use the TSW2 preserved collection versions instead but still would not be backwards compatible with TSW2020.

22. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

It's not so much the compatibility between games I'm talking about, it's more the licenses. So you purchase a license for the add-on in TSW2 and it unlocks the license for the TSW2020 version.

23. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Cheers stujoy! Although they're throwing this forwards compatible term out, it seems as though we might be finally backwards compatible per-say. Here's hoping!

• Like Like x 1
  24. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

From the faq:
    Xbox - Store pages for previous Train Sim World add-ons will still be visible on Xbox platforms. However, they will not be purchasable. Therefore, you will need to look out for store pages with the Train Sim World Compatible logo to purchase an add-on.

Posted in today's announcements:
    To answer another question we've seen come up relating to DLC content, all TSW2 content will still be available after release to purchase and will work on both Train Sim World 2 and Train Sim World 3.

I thought these are being removed from sale:
    • TSW2020 add-ons
    • TSW2 add-ons and the game
    What if you want the 465 in TSW2? There will not be a compatible version because it is now included in SEHS?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  25. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

I do wonder if owning a route or DLC within TSW2020 or TSW2, does that grant you immediate access to the TSW Compatible add-on, or would that have to be a separate purchase?

26. ARuscoe

OK, looks like I got that one wrong and hadn't read to that point of the FAQ. Thanks for that stujoy
    From the line "purchasing add-ons marked with the “Train Sim World Compatible” logo (see below) will entitle you to that add-on in Train Sim World 3 and any previous Train Sim World games that may be applicable" I would then assume that if you purchase any DLC that was released as a TSW2020 DLC you would get licenses for the 2020, 2 & 3 versions; if you purchase any DLC that was released as a TSW2 DLC then you will get licenses for TSW2 and 3 versions. Any TSW3 DLC will only be for TSW3

Yes, that was confirmed previously. Anything you own from any previous version of the game will be granted a TSW3 license other than that US route that didn't get carried over from TSW2020 to TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  27. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

The short answer is "no".

I own a physical copy of TSW2020 collector's edition and because my copy was on disc I needed to obtain digital licences (from DTG) in order to bring that content forward into TSW2.. I also received an activation key for Rapid Transit, a TSW2020 route which is not part of the collector's edition but for whatever reason was given to me anyway. When I reinstalled TSW2020 few months later (I think to complete the 'drive the 166 for 1660 miles' achievement but I'm not 100% sure) all the content installed off the disc as normal but despite the fact I now owned a digital copy of Rapid Transit it wasn't present in the 'ready to install' bit and XBox store was telling me to "buy now" for £25.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  28. ARuscoe

If you contact support and detail this to them they should reinstate your digital license for the DLC you own

29. pinxtonpaws

To be honest i'm really not that bothered..and if truth be told I'm not even sure why the question was raised in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  30. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just to be clear on some of the poitns discussed here:

Let's take WSR for the first example since it exists on all three versions.

You own TSW2020 but not WSR. You own TSW2, but not WSR.
    You buy TSW3 and enjoy for a while, and then decide now's the time to dive into WSR. You purchase WSR.
    You can now also play it on TSW2020 and TSW2 as well.

Let's take a second example, Boston, does not exist on TSW2020.

You own TSW2020 and TSW2 but did not buy Boston yet.
    You buy TSW3 and then later buy Boston.
    You can now only play it on TSW2 because it does not exist for TSW2020.

The backward compatibility that is offered is essentially LICENSE compatibility, you only get the version of the route that is available for that version of TSW - you can't run a TSW3 version on TSW2 for example. That also means features, updates etc wont be the same.

Back to the WSR example.

WSR came out on TSW2020.
    WSR was updated much later on TSW2 by the preserved crew with LovelyThings.
    You buy WSR for TSW3. You can play it on TSW2 with LovelyThings, or you can play it on TSW2020 *without* LovelyThings because they WSR for TSW2020 was not modified.

Probably still a bit confusing but hopefully less so?

I checked this with our Retail team because older versions are likely coming off sale and this did cause some alarm with completionists who wanted to get more for TSW2 towards achievements etc and I was told that buying the TSW3 version would entitle you o the TSW2 version and TSW2020 version if either existed and at whatever level they were at when they were last updated.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  31. ARuscoe

Matt, I think this may well be worth putting on a post somewhere outside of a single discussion as I'm sure there will be others with a similar question

But for a "clear as mud" topic you did pretty well explaining it :D

32. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Hey Matt, appreciate you shedding some light on this situation.

Not too sure if you can also provide some insight on the following:

• If you own a TSW2020/2 route, does this automatically enable you to access to the Compatible add-on whenever it is released?
    • If this is the case, if you were to only purchase the route/add-on on one iteration of game, (i.e. Rapid Transit purchased in TSW2, not 2020), would downloading the TSW Compatible add-on enable the backwards compatible license for the TSW2020 version of the game?
    • Or, are the TSW Compatible add-ons entirely separate purchases (despite owning those add-ons in 2020/TSW2?).
    Appreciate your input and response!

33. pinxtonpaws

Then why is it (and I'm doing this now as I type) when I visit XBox store, search for TSW2020, and check the addons:
    NTP, RT, MSB, PC, LIRR, RSN and HRR (all of which were obtained as TSW2 content) have a "buy now" against them...with EC, TVL and WSR (all purchased within TSW2020) being my only "owned" routes?

34. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

That is correct. TSW2 preserved collection versions never gave you TSW2020 versions. You had to buy them in TSW2020 to get both versions.

With TSW3, we know we will get 3 versions to use (if available in all 3 games) by purchasing the yet to be released compatible versions. What they want to know is if you bought them in TSW2, then they do give you TSW3 compatible versions automatically on the release date. This in theory will then give access to TSW2020 version of the add-on (you will have the licence enabled from the time the compatible versions become available on the store).

35. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Yes

I believe so

Not separate, no. Think of it that there is one "TSW Compatible" version going forwards, whatever you own, if you own one of the versions you now own all, forwards and backwards.

This is my understanding of how the system will work.

I don't think any of this goes live until launch day.

Matt.

• Like Like x 1
  36. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

Because this was never the case before TSW3. Licenses were never backwards compatible. If you purchase an add-on in TSW2 you will only get it in TSW2. If you purchase an add-on in TSW2020 you will get access to it in TSW2, as this is where the "forwards compatible" term has come from.

As confirmed above, with TSW3, they're re-releasing all add-ons as TSW Compatible routes, which when purchased, will give access to the previous iterations of the licenses in 2020/TSW2.

My question above though attempts to query how owning licenses for previous TSW iterations will work with the TSW Compatible add-ons, and whether owning an add-on in one game (not both) will automatically award the TSW Compatible add-on for TSW3, which in turn might unlock the license for the game you don't own the license on.

Very confusing, but we're getting somewhere with understanding the situation...slowly but surely :D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

And just like that, Matt clarifies everything!

Definitely do agree though, this is great info to have somewhere on the FAQ's as I was tempted to double-dip to complete, but now it appears with this new method of purchasing and the TSW Compatible add-ons in general, I won't need to.

Yet again, appreciate the input Matt.

38. pinxtonpaws

OK, apologies, I completely misinterpreted what Matt was saying - too many words for my ageing mind to process :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  39. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

TSW3 compatible routes are not backwards only forwards compatible.

Best to buy TSW 2020 Route's then TSW2 routes. So you get the free upgraded versions. Whilst you can

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  40. Observadorpt

hi

The only free upgraded routes are spirit of steam and southeastern highspeed. You can buy routes from tsw 2 (preserved routes) this routes are gonna work in tsw 2020 too.The only routes that dont gonna work is original tsw 2 routes. like tsw 3 routes doesnt work in tsw 2 and tsw 2020.

41. WVUadam

Hello am meaning the preserved collection

42. Observadorpt

preserved collection gonna work on all tsw. theres gonna be just 1 store page with all dlcs. preserved collection from tsw 2020 gonna work on all tsws. tsw2 from tsw 2 to tsw 3.

43. ARuscoe

See Matt's comments above. DTG are changing the license system so from 6th september there will only be "one license for each DLC" and when you buy that DLC you will get any version of that DLC in whatever versions of TSW you own for which that DLC is produced, so if you own TSW2020, TSW2 and TSW3 and you buy the license for GWE you'll get it on all three, SEHS? You get it on 2 and 3 etc etc

44. WVUadam

Oh okay. I didn't think that was possible. Understand now. A live demo showcasing this change would be handy.

45. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

If you own TSW2020, you'll have GWE anyway.

46. ARuscoe

Pick any other TSW2020 DLC

47. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

If you buy a TSW2020 route through TSW2 then you get the TSW 2 version of that route that cannot be used in TSW 2020. To use the TSW 2020 routes in both you need to buy them for TSW 2020 which makes them available for both TSW 2020 & TSW 2

48. waggie#5150

waggie#5150 New Member

That was not the answer to the question! Matt answered everything I needed to know...