Tsw 3 On Foot: Please Revert This Change!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TimTri, Aug 19, 2022.

1. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

During yesterday’s Kassel-Würzburg route preview, I noticed a small but questionable change to the on foot spawn time selection:

In TSW 2, the player was able to select their spawn time in increments of 5 minutes.
    In TSW 3, however, the spawn time selection is now only available in 15 minute increments.

This is an absolute game changer (in a bad way) for all players that love to spawn on foot and enter certain trains. A wait that was at most 4 minutes long in TSW 2 has now turned into a potential 14 minute wait in TSW 3!

Please revert this change and allow us to select the time in 5 minute increments again!

I‘ve included some screenshots from the stream which show the change below:
    upload_2022-8-19_14-36-30.jpeg
    upload_2022-8-19_14-36-42.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 53
  2. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I did not notice that yesterday, that would really be horrible. I spawn on foot all the time and I always thought how it would be cooler if you could choose the exact minute.

But this change seems to go in the opposite direction of that, 15 minute blocks are way to large! Please change that back

• Like Like x 21
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Mm, that's not good. I like to spawn on foot and catch trains to ride as a passenger, and 15 minutes is a long time to wait. If it stands, it will make timing your spawn much more difficult. Heaven only knows why they would make a change to that feature.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

I always use the spawn on foot option when starting a service (useful if the service has multiple options of loco), and would also be disappointed if the 5 minute intervals have been removed.

• Like Like x 12
  5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Yeah, this would severely impact on-foot spawning, since we already often have four minute waits for trains we want to catch.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I also noticed that on the stream as well but need to remember they were playing on a Dev build not the finished product.

7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Just WHY? The TSW2 system, where you could use the "1 hour" and "5 minutes" arrows to select the time, is just fine. I had a thread about interesting trainspotting places and times where you could see cool train actions. Now imagine that and starting instructions by "weeeell... you might have to wait 14 minutes for something to happen."

• Like Like x 11
  8. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

My preferred play style is to spawn on foot at the present time / weather and grab the nearest train available so reverting this would be good for people who play similarly (if you're out there). Even better would be a real-time spawn option.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I'm using this option in a really weird way, you would consider, but it's helping me struggling with red light/dispatcher issue.

You see, I don't care which medal I'll receive for completing the service from timetable - I just want it to be "checked" with medal icon so I will not run it again by mistake. Therefore, if I'm facing red light issue like i.e. on BML running to Brighton and being permanently stopped at red light just before Preston Park I'm then checking the actual arrival time of that fault service, then spawn on the final destination (in this case in Brighton) 2-3 minutes before actual arrival time of my train, hop in to the cab just after AI driver will open the doors - and get the service completed!
    2-3 minutes is bareable to wait for the train, but 13-14 is much worst.

• Like Like x 6
  10. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

On console we don't even get those double arrows to scroll through time faster so this 15 minute thing will improve on that. The time always starts on your local system time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I agree with the 15-minute interval is too big :( I like to set the game time to the correct time and ride as a passenger or just train spot somewhere,

• Like Like x 4
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Best of all would be the option of a field into which the user can type an exact time.

• Like Like x 10
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I can absolutely guarantee that the extra minimal time to scroll through the time on a console is a lot less that a potential 14 minute wait in the game for the time you actually wanted to spawn.

15 minutes is not a good interval. DTG have completely missed how players actually use the feature in an effort to save a few seconds in the menu. It needs to be put back to 5.

• Like Like x 25
  14. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

That's actually a downgrade to the old version. There were only 15-minute options in the original TSW and somewhere along the way they added five-minute increments. It was a very welcome change.

• Like Like x 12
  15. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Exactly! So simple and effective at the same time.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Princess Entrapta

It'd take less time to input this even on a console!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yep. Perfect cause of the UI designer not taking into consideration how the function is actually used by the user. It sounds good on paper to have 15 minute intervals, as it's cleaner on the UI with less clicking, but makes no sense gameplay wise.

• Like Like x 15
  18. max1313

max1313 Active Member

I agree. Keep it the same 5 minutes intervals. It just makes more sense. Let’s not go backwards

• Like Like x 3
  19. Crosstie

DTG seem to change the UI whimsically, rather than ask players what they would like to see. If asked, most of us, I imagine, would have said no, no and no again to this change.

Of course, if they really wanted to give us what we want in the UI, there would be an interactive 2d map with the features of the 13 year old TSC version.

• Like Like x 4
  20. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I actually have no idea why that got stepped backwards - it certainly wasn't the intention.

I'm just waiting confirmation in a build I can see that it's been rectified.

Matt.

• Like Like x 29
    • Helpful Helpful x 14
  21. I can't even wait 15 mins for a real train!

• Like Like x 6
  22. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Perhaps it could work like in LittleBigPlanet's menus... Using the analogue sticks would change the value in larger increments (15 minutes in this case) and using the d-pad would only go up or down by 5?

• Like Like x 2
  23. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

You could always look for plush toys or colour in the route maps on the station. I’m sure the station staff would appreciate your help. :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. I'm sure I would get arrested lol. I generally turn up at a station a minute or 2 before my train is due.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Your problem is that there are no collectables in real life stations.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  26. You can try and collect things from the vending machines, although your money always goes in then nothing comes out.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Crosstie

This is the problem with " collectables ". They don't represent anything that's real in railroading. If they were just limited to posters and newspaper stands, I could ignore them.
    But, with the presence of toddler toys on platforms, it's become just plain silly.
    Someone at DTG needs to grow up.

• Like Like x 2
  28. The only time I get a collectable is when I inadvertently walk past one.

• Like Like x 2
  29. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

If this could be added to Scenario Planner too it would make this feature a lot better and, importantly, more realistic!

• Like Like x 2
  30. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Legally, no.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Princess Entrapta

XD

32. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Update: During today’s Training Center preview stream, we got a quick look at the current state of the On Foot spawn screen. Some significant improvements have been made!

The developers have seemingly doubled the number of arrows used to select the spawn time from two to four. The outer set of arrows allows the player to skip an hour ahead or behind, while the inner one (although it was unfortunately not clicked on during the stream) presumably has much smaller time increments - hopefully the five minutes we‘ve been hoping for!

This is a great change as it takes into account use cases where you just want to select a general time of day as well as situations where a precise spawn time is needed - for example to catch a specific service at a station. I hope they find a way to make this four-arrow-system (yup, I‘m going to call it that! ;)) work on consoles as well, and not just with mouse and keyboard.

Thank you for implementing our feedback so quickly, we really appreciate that! :D

I‘ve included a screenshot showing the change below:
    upload_2022-8-23_23-33-25.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Amazing, that is so cool to see so quickly

• Like Like x 1
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I wonder how that’s going to work on a controller. Hopefully they have improved controller functionality for all aspects of menus including being able to quickly scroll through the 377 services on London Commuter. It currently takes about an hour. The spawn on foot locations on the mini map are also far too zoomed in on console too, and you can’t adjust the zoom, so you can’t see where on the map the locations are, you have to already know. So I hope that has been sorted too.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Just to add my tuppence worth - would absolutely hate to see the On Foot timings go to 15 min blocks. I use all the time and this would be a disaster. Hopefully (as mentioned) this has now been corrected and will return to at least 5 min blocks.

Thanks team!

• Like Like x 2
  36. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Just so -- and even then I almost never notice and certainly do not care. I'd like to be able to opt out of all "rewards" systems, but knowing how much they seem to mean to others, I would never want them cancelled.

37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I notice also that we can pick not just the month, but the day of the month as well

• Helpful Helpful x 1