Stream For Rest Of Week Postponed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This is interesting and begs speculation as to why/

• Like Like x 9
  2. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I would bet they are upgrading their streaming equipment :D

• Like Like x 6
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

They already said they want to upgrade their streaming equipment. (Sadly) Not related to TSW3 being postponed because of the many issues like save, performance, stuttering, loco blurring or sound or no Seasons in Scenario Planer

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

As I said, speculation without any reference to TSW3. The above are great thoughts and Sam did say on another thread he was going to build a dedicated computer for these.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

IMHO that should be the next message we hear. That release is pushed back.
    As I said in the "Chaos" thread that would earn considerable respect and, providing the main issues were actually sorted, very likely considerably more orders for the product. It would be interesting to know if the pre order quantities are not that good, based on people holding back (not that they will tell us in a 1000 years!).

• Like Like x 6
  6. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Not going to happen.

• Like Like x 4
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Last point isn't - technically speaking - an "issue"

8. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Yes the streams are the point.... Off better the lack of equipment..... If you use 1 pc for all the things that they do you dind't have any way to show a good quality... The team do now understand what a lot off players noticed that the quality isn't good enough to show a game that have a realy good graphics and dind't looks how you see it on your'e own pc.

9. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

It's certainly interesting. I don't think there will be a delay with the pre-order launch only a week away- I think if a delay was going to happen we'd have already heard.

If the performance issues are mostly due to their inadequate setup then i could understand why they don't want to show off any more until that's resolved.

If it's that the game just runs like a dog, then there are bigger issues at play.

Only DTG knows for sure.....

• Like Like x 2
  10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Only if You believe all the other games that have an editor did it wrong since the '90s

• Like Like x 2
  11. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

So...... does that mean the game itself is being postponed?

12. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

No

13. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

I think last night's stream was so bad they had to do this. Sam's PC was stuttering badly, and frame rates were pathetic. His PC is very powerful too. There were flashing textures and other faults as well. It's looking like an alpha, It may well miss release. I certainly won't be pre-ordering any of it.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

To be fair, TSW always behaved more like an Alpha or Beta build...
    Massive performance issues, save not working, countless other bugs and issues...

• Like Like x 14
  15. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Issue by definition means something is 'wrong' with it. there is nothing wrong with scenario planner, it works as it was built to. I suppose that could also stretch to sounds as well, although because sounds are part of the recreation aspect they are and aren't at the same time.

16. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Well then there was no issue with TSW2 lighting since it was build this way i guess...ok

• Like Like x 5
  17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Ive seen enough nonsense over the last 3 streams Ive watched to cancel my preorder.

The facts are this -

On multiple streams we have seen major stuttering on prerecorded clips.
    Hardware which has been capable of streaming TSW2 routes with minimal FPS drops and stutters is now not capable of running TSW3 at more than 20FPS, the excuse that the hardware is at fault rather than the software is IMO flawed when compared to previous streams, yes it might be contributing but its not the overall issue, TSW3 is.
    Are we really meant to believe that Sam hasnt driven enough US locos to know he needs to cut in breaks and how to do it? Fab acting but it didnt fool me, it was nothing more than the games running poorly, how can I fill the time up without running a train at 14FPS?
    The remainder of this weeks streams are cancelled as DTG dont have sufficent hardware to find a PC to act as a recording PC? Yeah they may not have had the logistics in place to get one out for tonight streams, but tomorrow? Come on guys, we werent born yesterday. Theres so many couriers offering next day delivery in the UK

• Like Like x 18
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Stuttering will be in TSW3
    Performance issues will be in TSW3 (just like in TSW2)
    The same bugs and issues will be in TSW3 (maybe minus the messed up lighting)

I guess thats clear by now.

• Like Like x 11
  19. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Such a shame, because the graphical improvements and new features look great, but looks like the game still is a mess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For peace of mind and generally less hassle I don't pre-order as a rule. In the very rare cases I have in the past it was for companies that have a solid track record but even that goes wrong. What gets me is that when you pre-order and when you play it you find bugs whoever sells the game knows damn well those bugs are present so I like to hear a few reviews.

• Like Like x 7
  21. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I would love to preorder DTG Train Sims and be excited about them...but thats sadly not possible with the way they are handling it currently and the last years.

• Like Like x 2
  22. OldVern

Actually to be brutally honest, since applying the daylight (skylight?) modifier into the ini file, TSW2 is now looking quite nice. Just did a run on RRO which has always been one of the darker routes. Actually came over quite reasonable. So other than the two routes, neither of which is of particular interest (Cajon only if I can save the game), I see fewer and fewer reasons to rush into buying TSW3.

• Like Like x 6
  23. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For me when they fix the driving at night and fixing Station Lighting then DTG will have turned a corner for me.

• Like Like x 3
  24. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Except, all new DLC from now on and out, will only work on TSW3. So if you are content with what you have DLC-wise, by all means, stay with TSW2. I'm saying, it's not like we really have a choice here. At least not more than to postpone our purchase of TSW3 for a while. Not sure what that would accomplish, though. I'll pick it up on release. What gets patched, get patched. The rest is what it is. We all know the drill by now. It's DTG we are dealing with after all...

• Like Like x 4
  25. Xander1986

I recomended always a SSD! I have a Ryzen 7 3700 and a 2060 Super and no issues with stutters in general. Only where i have some stutters but thats route relatet is on Hamburg Lubeck. On other routes i works very well and 4k resolution!

26. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Well i guess they will be cramming up the streams for next week since that is the last week but its a Bank holiday on Monday I believe so we only have 4 days to show the Audio, SEHS, Cajon, SOS.

And as Sam said in his stream yesterday some kind of little scenario that can be duplicated for 8th gen, 9th gen and PC so we can dee the differences side by side

And his replay of last night

That is quite a bit to cover in 4 days.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

Sam’s computer can run TSW2 without issues but struggles with TSW3. Streaming related issues or not, it shows you how much performance this update requires. His computer shouldn’t have an issue even when steaming. I have an i7 with a 3080 Ti and I’m concerned.

Preorder canceled. I’ll wait for a sale at this rate.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There's only one more week to squeeze in the minimum of 2 streams before the early access folks get to play. It's gonna be a tight fit.

Fasten your seatbelts come next Monday. It's gonna be a rollercoaster 8 days.
    Despite all my concerns and misgivings, I'm looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 2
  29. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

Just a thought, is it me or is anyone else having deja vu here? But a preview of a British route being delayed isn't too shocking and rather matches up with our average British train journey! It's a shame as I was looking forward to it ahead of 10 days of AL :(

• Like Like x 4
  30. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Remember when rush hour was delayed because DTG wanted to show and release a good product with as little bugs as possible only to get a product that had a ton of problems when it released?

I wouldn't be surprised if these postponements don't actually improve anything

• Like Like x 8
  31. Xander1986

DTG Alex:

"The streaming issues we've had are unfortunate and don't reflect the quality bar we are aiming to achieve. We're taking the time now to focus on getting the best previews of TSW3's content, and we'll likely use this experience to reshape our future organisation with streaming."

In another thread!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I really don't know, let just hope it was well worth waiting, and that the audio team give us the players and fans what we wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

We all know Sam sold his soul for an RTX 3090, but how do we know what the rest of his PC is like? He could be running a Pentium II for all we know.

• Like Like x 1
  34. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Everybody uses a SSD since at least 5 years anyway. Even with the fastest SSD you still will have regular stuttering in TSW2 and 3

• Like Like x 6
  35. redrev1917

Because he said he was running an i9 IIRC

• Like Like x 1
  36. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

And I bet he has at least 16GB RAM and a SSD, otherwise his PC would make zero sense

• Like Like x 1
  37. redrev1917

Sure he said 32GB ram

• Like Like x 1
  38. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Leave the livestreams for QA and Roadmap. Everything else, just record beforehand

• Like Like x 3
  39. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Sam has an alpha rig; but even in that case, expecting the same machine both to run the game and also host the stream is putting too much demand on it; those cycles will clog up. Using the bloated Teams doesn't help, either.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Sam did say he had Teams running along with OBS, camera, 3 chat streams, TSW3 and other programs running too.
    Also, just running Windows is a CPU hog as it runs so many things in the background.

• Like Like x 3
  41. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

i9-9900, 32gb and 3090. I was sat at the front of the class

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  42. OldVern

I am content that by running it in TSW2 I can save my game and come back to it at a later point.
    Besides the only DLC currently announced for TSW3 is the Niddertalbahn and that has no prospective release date. And it’s a case of nice to have, rather than must have.

There is always a choice and if DTG choose to put out a game which is not ready for release, we should not feel obligated to purchase it. As said many times before, they are a business not a charity.

• Like Like x 6
  43. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

If it was an apps running in the background taking up resources, they wouldn’t have postponed content for the week. That’s easily resolvable. It’s a larger issue they are trying to solve because this update features no performance updates but has more demanding features

• Like Like x 4
  44. redrev1917

How has any of that changed since we've seen TSW2 content previews? It shouldn't have, the only thing that's changed is TSW2 is now TSW3. And we've gone fro getting decent quality streams to stuttering messes.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I don't see why they'd not say this if true. It would be in DTG's interest to say they are updating features to improve performance, as it would tell players the final game is better than what they saw in streams, without actually having to provide any evidence. Them saying they are working to improve the streams makes more sense, because it clearly tempers expectations that the game itself will be better than what has been seen, but keeps players engaged to see what the better performing streams will show (unless they completely cancelled the rest of the streams of course)

I personally believe the actual explanation, because in my experience the streams always dull the quality of the game, so it makes sense to me that they want the streams to be better, it also makes sense why they'd take a few days to not just setup the hardware, but ensure it works properly, as well as review their approach generally. Yes, this could or should have been done a while ago, but it's hardly news that DTG only react once the horse has bolted.

The feedback to the training centre stream was not simply that the frame rate was low, people were unhappy it didn't cover the features they wanted it to, which means there is a strong likelihood someone is trying to create a better structure for future streams so that doesn't happen again, similarly, it was the same with the ICE1 stream, the issues were not simply stuttering or tunnel lighting, there were complaints to do with Lukas' camera work and how clearly he spoke, and so it's likely they want to make sure they can provide consistency across streams whoever is doing them (to his credit, on the information front JD always seems to try and keep things stuck to a script of sorts, sure, it can get robotic, but he throws in a ton of user questions, he clearly had a note pad of features to cover/show off, even if not always at the best time, so all in all the first stream told me all I needed to know about the route to want to buy it even if the visuals were a bit janky).

• Like Like x 2
  46. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

The thing that I want to point out is that the only FPS counter I saw was in the top left hand corner of Sams Monitor. But that wasnt the usual green FPS counter which we see for TSW (normally sits on the right hand side of the screen). Was that a dev build FPS counter or was it an overall FPS counter for his PC performance?

Hentis

47. Xander1986

No that was the steam build in FPS counter. That case it was his complete pc that was count. Not only the game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

No this does not mean launch date will be postpond.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Perhaps dtg are actually trying to address the stuttering, I mean the game not the stream. One can only hope.

• Like Like x 2
  50. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Extremely unlikely since they basically told us that everything is fine except their streaming setup
    When was the last time DTG improved performance or optimized the game?? Can't remember, must be years

• Like Like x 3