Dtg Equals Chaos

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dangerousdave, Aug 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm sorry to say this dtg but lately you have shown what can only be described as chaos within your studios!

With new content creating a whole load of problems, bugs that remain unfixed months after they was introduced to the experience. Maybe put on hold for the development of tsw3 that seems to be plagued with the same problems as tsw2!

Possibly more problems than tsw 2!

Live streams that demonstrate a stuttering unsmooth gameplay on a game that's ment to be better? I've seen this blamed on hardware? Are you telling me a multimillion pound company can't afford to buy better streaming devices?

To be quite honest you are making yourselves look like a bunch of incompetent idiots!

To be fair I can't blame all of you guys at dtg for this, just like I don't blame all the guys at mcdonalds everytime they mess up my order. This can only be blamed on management.

[REMOVED - Alex - Inappropriate]

I do really love your products, they have given me and my kids many years of fun and enjoyment with some of the best rail driving experiences out there.

But lately it's getting beyond a joke!

Sort it out please.

• Like Like x 26
  2. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

Why do so many people who try to make a point about the state of the game or company also choose to resort to personal attacks?

Do you actually expect a working professional to take time out of his or her day to respond to comments like "incompetent idiots" and "fire everyone"?

If there was any validity to your message, it's drowned out by the delivery.

• Like Like x 27
  3. I didn't say they are incompetent idiots! I said they are making themselves look like this! Does management equate to the entire dtg staff? No it doesn't!

• Like Like x 8
  4. As for personal, have I called anyone out personally at dtg? No!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Good news is that they are now moving to in-office equipment for streaming. Good... the quality was wildly inconsistent. They should also really consider pre-recorded content as it removes the possibility of on-screen gaffes. Roadmap QnA threads could be half their time and significantly higher quality if pre-recorded.

• Like Like x 4
  6. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree! „Firing squad“ goes beyond what can be called „acceptable criticism“!

Absolutely valid points made unusable due to attacks like that!

• Like Like x 4
  7. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

The streaming issues we've had are unfortunate and don't reflect the quality bar we are aiming to achieve. We're taking the time now to focus on getting the best previews of TSW3's content, and we'll likely use this experience to reshape our future organisation with streaming.

• Like Like x 11
  8. Firing squad was a joke! Quite illegal to place people infront of a firing squad in the UK actually.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OpenMinded

Sorry, no joking with that!

• Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If they were streaming from a fixed location then they could have a robust system set up but that’s not possible with what they are doing currently, having individual devs hosting from their bedrooms or kitchens. Devs with no experience of streaming running a stream maybe isn’t the best way to be presenting the first look of a new game. Showing the first route alongside dynamic weather wasn’t the best choice either. The game stutters on the streams because they are using the same computer for everything and it isn’t going to give the best results. If they can change the way they do it it will benefit everyone.

dangerousdave may have been a bit over the top in the way he said it (we’ve all been guilty of that on occasion) and it’s probably no worse than it was for the last summer release streams but it does need sorting out. I’m finding myself turning the streams off a lot theses days. They can be quite painful to watch.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I'm glad you guys are addressing those issues. Like mentioned a few pre recorded streams would probably be a good idea, or external capture, I know anything above hd quality can really tax the performance of the best graphics cards, literally cut it straight down the middle.

Personally I use a external capture device you can even use a display with dp ports to split the video and send it to another device for streaming. You guys at dtg are no doubt aware of this already.

Thanks for the positive response.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Then maybe you should change your name from open minded.

• Like Like x 5
  13. OpenMinded

I don’t think that you make a good point in attacking more people who criticise you. I think accepting jokes about firing squads don’t make you exactly open minded?! At least not my understanding…

Over and out…

• Like Like x 2
  14. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I mean, can't and won't are two different things.

The reason we don't have decent quality versions of classic sci-fi series Babylon 5 available today on Blu-Ray comes down to Warner Bros not being willing to shell out for Widescreen monitors back in the day for the CG team. Meaning that although we have high quality widescreen footage of every scene in that show, the CG work and compositing of effects shots all had to be done at 4:3. So nowadays even just getting a 1080p image means cropping the 480 image, and then stretching it massively.

All for want of a piece of hardware the budget didn't allow for, was definitely easy enough for those holding the pursestrings to afford, but was out of the hands of the people actually doing the work.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Attacking? Lmao.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Princess Entrapta

Anyway, it clearly seems like DTG have recognised that bad PR can torpedo a re-launch of a franchise, and the importance in this day and age of having solid video capture if one of your primary marketing strategies is livestreams. Hope they sort out a good external capture solution, and whatever you think about how they've handled it so far, it'll be telling one way or another when we see the game running without any kind of additional overhead from capture software, or encoding issues from a previous streaming solution, right?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

According to the Announcements part of the forums, today’s and tomorrow’s livestreams have been postponed. Presumably this was done to improve the quality of the stream.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was shocked that dtg don't have such hardware available already. Ok it was streamed from someone's home but still, they could same day the hardware from the offices to the devs home. As for management well, seeing as stuttering has been a big issue with dtg over the years. If I was part of management, before the stream went live I would have asked too see a preview, would have seen the problem and probably cancelled the stream as its not going to give the best impression! For a game with performance issues already I would imagine a lot of people are not sold on the whole streaming hardware problem.

I myself have the game on pre order and won't be cancelled anything until I see for myself, I'm staying positive.

At the same time if I was management I would be pulling my hair out now and people would be getting fired. The problems that come with sos should have been resolved weeks ago.

I would be offering the people that don't know what the problem is the way to the door and the people that are positive they can solve it a nice bonus if its solved in a little as time frame as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Sorry but a multi million software company should be able to think about this and fix it before going live to show of their new product .

This also translates to TSW itself.
    You would assume such a company would fix a save game bug before releasing their new game instead of apologizing and promising to "look into it" after the release of TSW3...

DTG always seems to struggle with basically everything you would expect a multi million software company not to struggle with

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Being as diplomatic as I can it does sometimes come across that they don't always seem to know what they are doing.

I mean there's no doubting the enthusiasm of some of the public faces, but as I've said before sometimes enthusiasm can get in the way of professionalism. With a multi million pound business you need to get it right.

There is also still an element of only addressing the questions it's convenient to answer. For example I've asked several times now why not a beta or test branch on Steam/PC at least, for those who want to keep the save game function but this has been totally ignored. Myself and others have stated their preference for a flawed save rather than no save at all and this has been met with stubbornness and dare I say a little arrogance, "We know best." Questions about the sound and reverb have been stonewalled. Questions about the pricing and lack of an intermediate pack at £34.99 for those who own SEHS and SoS have also been disregarded.

I'm not expecting a one to one dialogue with a company officer but this is a product they're trying to sell me and as a customer I remain sceptical and unconvinced.

• Like Like x 20
  21. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

There's a old saying"You can please some people some of the time BUT you can't please everybody"I'm not sure which way DTG is trying to go BUT clearly there doing a top notch job doing both ends of this motto.The problem is one way leads to total success while the other leads to total failure, my question is which one are they truly aiming for?

If the goal it to make more money then clearly they are shooting themself in the foot with there current strategie.of trying to sell this game to more new players.but by treating the current fanbase like well we already have them and the'll buy anything so we can just ignore there whining about any in game issues.

As tony stark said in the avengers movie. "Not a good plan" or something similar.

• Like Like x 3
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think there’s more to it than that, they can’t confirm it though because it can impact sales. Very lucky to have a pc streaming to attribute the stutter to.

• Like Like x 4
  23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 1
  24. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Would be nice to hear and earn considerable respect (and maybe even a pre-order) from me that the game release itself is postponed until many of the issues are ironed out, primarily the save game but also optimization and sound improvements too.

• Like Like x 6
  25. We can all ignore problems throughout our lives but they don't go away by them selves.

All this let's answer one question but ignore the others is getting old now.

If dtg think giving a honest answer to a question will hurt sales then they are wrong. I've seen so many companies admit to flaws in their products over the years but people still buy it.

Even companies that try the old cover up, like vw with the diesel gate scandle. Have people stopped buying vw's, don't seem like it.

• Like Like x 5
  26. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It would be more acceptable to forum members if they had the honesty to say why they are postponed.
    Being nonspecific only leads to fevered speculation and wrong conclusions on our part.

• Like Like x 6
  27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

People just like to speculate...
    TSW3 release is not getting delayed, no way. They have already committed to the release date
    But as i already said. Another 6 Months of development would certainly benefit the game big time. Especially if they actually focus on long standing core issues.

• Like Like x 2
  28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people will be happy seeing the game running at 1440 or 4k at 60fps for it to be a good presentation. I know full well I’m hoping someone sorts that tree pop in with an ini command on day 1

• Like Like x 1
  29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Actually I think DTG Alex was quite specific in his earlier post. They have seen the negative reaction to recent streams and they're not happy with the quality of presentation.

They want to present TSW3 in the best light possible and they will change the way they do things re equipment and, possibly, personnel and location.

Can't imagine what more he could have said. What do you think is " dishonest " about his statement? Don't see it myself.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Silly thing is that Matt lives minutes from their main base in Chatham so could have been there this week to stream, but of course they're bringing in other people to do the streams at the moment.

Really not sure why DTG seem to be falling flat on their face in so many ways lately but there seem to have been a fair few people promoted to "senior positions" in the last year and a big dip in output both in amount of releases (both DLC and fixes) and in their quality (Reigate anyone?)

• Like Like x 2
  31. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Did someone seriously mention firing squads? This is crazy and completely unacceptable.

These employees are just normal people, and they should never be confronted with irresponsible messages.
    It’s just a game. Calm down.

• Like Like x 9
  32. ARuscoe

[REMOVED - Alex - Wildly Inappropriate]

• Like Like x 2
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's what they told us they were doing for the last three months, and that was a big fat porky: they haven't been working on bugfixes, but on TSW3; and Adam's crew weren't working on bugfixes or upgrades, but building the Training Academy.

And DTG wonder about issues of "trust".......

• Like Like x 21
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I dont think they wonder...but hey, buy TSW3...

• Like Like x 2
  35. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Where can we buy pitchforks and torches from for next day delivery?

I jest of course, the only thing which DTG are going to take notice of is if enough of us cancel our preorder and spend our gaming budget elsewhere.
    Yeah Im sure they'll get plenty of first time buyers and casuals picking up TSW3 in sales, but its the diehards who usually buy all the DLC on release at full price who pay the bills.

• Like Like x 4
  36. ARuscoe

There's a B&Q about four miles away unless you're there in the week when there's a hardware store just off Gillingham high street

37. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

This is something they (and many other developers) don't seem to understand.

• Like Like x 2
  38. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Shame there's no Dutch Navy around when you need it.

[​IMG]
    Willem Schellinks, "The Burning of Chatham, June 1667"

• Like Like x 5
  39. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I was thinking today about the possibility there is a memory leak in the game, perhaps somewhere in the new dynamic weather code. It would be by far the easiest fix and once found and addressed performance might really increase. Otherwise it is just struggling under the weight of the additional features and unable to bear that weight. That would be a poor outcome and suggest they have bitten off more than they, or us can currently chew.

Also, there are few enough people in the market for this game, only catering for the segment of that small market that have good enough hardware to run this satisfactorily (I mean at decent settings, not minimum), well its making a small pool even smaller.

Maybe the increase in the recommended specs was actually the canary in the coalmine after all.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. patput

patput Member

Comments suggesting harm come to DTG, even in "jest", are incredibly inappropriate. Firing squads, lynching, wishing for the town to be burned - that is just disgusting. Reel it in, folks...

• Like Like x 1
  41. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

Maybe it's the hemp!
    They make good sim game for a few quid. It's a fair exchange and want them to continue, but last night was a wasted hour. And the ICE stream wasn't jaw dropping either. Glad they're rethinking.

42. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Why did I read this and the term “money for old rope” immediately came to mind? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is not allowed. You can't just remove Alex, or any DTG employee that you might disagree with, inappropriate or not. These are people too. This is insane and absolutely not permitted. I'm frankly disgusted. Please apologize.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Princess Entrapta

As an aside, I continue to cry out for a dedicated 1440p performance mode on XBox, for basically every game. But it'd sure be nice in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  45. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The moderator did that because that portion was deemed inappropriate. Not the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  46. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Those comments though from the users weren't meant to be offensive. Ever heard of sarcasm and a joke?

Some people are really sensitive these days

• Like Like x 3
  47. God save the queen

• Like Like x 3
  48. Princess Entrapta

upload_2022-8-25_1-10-51.png

• Like Like x 3
  49. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Insults, inappropriate jokes about violence, doubling down, and blaming the targets for not sharing in the amusement. Unbelievable. Is there any good reason not to disinfect the forum of this entire thread?

• Like Like x 4
  50. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

No so hot on the lynch mob, but pulled into The Naval base in ‘77 when I was a cadet on the USCGC Eagle going from Hamburg DE over the channel then back to the states… from what I recall, many a good pubs to be found in Chatham and then had my first experience on a UK railway as I road in a slam door coach to spend a day in London.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.