My Thoughts And Questions On Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by railrowe, Aug 9, 2022.

1. railrowe

railrowe New Member

The announcement of TSW3 has produced decidedly mixed feelings in me. On one hand, I am very much looking forward to the new routes and locos such as the ICE 1 and Cajon Pass, and new features such as dynamic weather and the Training Center. On the other hand, I feel that TSW2 now is still a little "unfinished." I know serious bugs and glitches are still a thing for a few of my friends. And last I checked, there were still a few items on TSW2 roadmap that have been there for nearly a year or so (*cough* *cough* PS5 add-on limit *cough* *cough*). I understand that the dev team may be overwhelmed or have their priorities on other projects at times, I just have a some questions regarding TSW3:

• Will all currently released TSW2 content, including the Preserved Collection content from TSW1, carry over to TSW3 on launch?
    • Will TSW3 be a downloadable upgrade to TSW2, or a separate game entirely?
    • If it is a separate game, will the existing playerbase be able to transfer their account to the new game, saving any and all progress they have on their routes, so they don't have start over from square one again?
    • Will all, or at least most of the items currently on the TSW2 roadmap be integrated into TSW3's roadmap?
    • Given they way the game is currently set up, I doubt it will come immediately, if at all, but will TSW3 eventually have multiplayer? This has been a topic of some discussion since the announcement of TSW2, and since the current game has finally received steam locos, perhaps the next one will allow us to play together.
    • As a final note, I also want to see a more comprehensive Scenario Planner. In the current one, you can select the time of day, what loco you or the AI drives, and the consist is selected from a predetermined list of car/loco lash-ups from the route it came with. I want to be able to choose on the map exactly where locomotives and cars spawn. I want to be able to pick and choose exactly what locos and cars make up a consist(s), and how many, realistic or otherwise. I want to be able to determine whether the loco I drive is already active when the scenario starts, or if I have to start it up myself. What's the point of having game mechanics to activate and deactivate locos if the scenarios and timetable services hardly, if ever, utilize them?
    These are the topics I hope TSW3 addresses. Enough of my ranting, what are other people's thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

1. Yes, every DLC you purchased for TSW2/TSW2020 (except NECNY, SW1000R, and GP40-2) carries over

2. It's a separate game

3. Dovetail Live stuff (masteries, liveries, etc): yes. In-game progress: maybe

4. Yes (the two games will receive these updates at a separate time: TSW3 will get the updated BKL timetable before TSW2, but TSW2 will get the DLC manager before TSW3)

5. (I personally highly doubt DTG will ever release a multiplayer mode for a TSW game, and even if they will it would be in a new paid version)

6. (dunno)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. crystal#1828

crystal#1828 New Member

#1 im wondering if tsw3 is going to add amtrak p42 to horseshoe curve or sand patch or to boston spinter #2 mabe via rail with go train on there own map #3 online that would be cool that you could make your own train kinda csx pulling amtrak cars like that #4 mabe if thay add p42 thay will add amtrak 108 100 203 and the other ones that would me cool

4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Sam already confirmed that multiplayer would never come to tsw cuz the game wasn't built for multiplayer which would mean remaking the entire game and during their talks and stuff, lot of stuff broke/would be broken if there was multiplayer.

5. rennekton#1349

This would have been better as a suggestion, not in response to this post. But anyways, the p42 runs very few services on those routes which I don't think is worth it cost wise. Now it would be great if they layer it from another route that has the p42 in normal operation. Via rail and Go is no because they couldn't get a license. Most American passenger train operators say no so dtg can't do trains with the livery.

6. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

I wonder what VIA Rail and GO Transits logic is in saying no to the licensing? Is it just a blanket policy to not license? Is it because the main route has a CN locomotive? Is it some weird bilingual Canadian thing? I just don’t understand why a train company wouldn’t want the brand exposure. I don’t know what it would hurt.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  7. rennekton#1349

Lots of reasons tbh. Not just via rail but many others like metra, marc. At the end of the day, if they say no, dtg has to respect that. I remember Matt saying a while back some of the reasons might be just cuz they don't want to or safety issues (people can hijack their trains if they learn how to drive in the sim). Maybe cuz it's a game, idk. But there are many reasons why they would say no

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually, on PC that's a "yes," since even if no official transfer protocol is developed, one can always simply manually move the old Career file into the new game folder. But for consoles, it depends on DTG coming up with a transfer routine.

9. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Its the companies own brand no matter who it is. Its their brand and THEY and THEY alone get to say who can or cannot use it. That's it. It doesn't matter what you think If the owner says no to licensing that's it. DTG have experts in that field and they deal with it and if a company says no that's it, your little "I don’t know what it would hurt" remark clearly shows you have no clue about licensing, so lets just leave it to the professional's to deal with.

Hentis

10. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

So, this is now my opportunity to upgrade to a PS5. BUT, I’m not sure if the dlc Limit will be there on TSW3. A few questions:
    1. What are the chances of the limit being there?
    2. Is there actually any difference in FPS gameplay between PS4 and PS5?
    3. Are there more services on the PS5 timetables?
    Sorry for all the questions. Been a bit AFK for a while so am kinda hoping that this is my opportunity to upgrade to PS5 :)

11. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

1. The DLC "add ons" manager will become available shortly after the release of TSW 3.

2. Not really but 99% f the time the framerate is between 60 and 62 fps on the PS5. Spirit of steam route it does drop in certain places to about 20 or it can be lower (Speke Jcn / Yard / Depot at speed is a framerate killer for me). If you don't have SOS then no worries.

3. Yes on some of the newer routes there are timetable differences.
    GWE you get to use the original PC timetable More Class 166 services and two extra HST services.
    Hauptestrecke Munchen Augsburg All layers included if you have extra German content.
    Brighton Mainline all layers including class 313 can be used.
    Dresden Riesa and Brighton Mainline are more stable on PS5
    US freight services are longer as well.
    Spirit of Steam consists are different than PS4 versions.

I would also think about buying a 2TB internal SSD.

I have TSW 2 RH for PS4 installed with all DLC on a4TB external HD . I have the PS5 version of TSW 2 installed on the internal 2TB SSD but I only have All UK routes except for both Isle of Wight routes installed, All German Routes installed apart from Dresden Chemnitz and the only American route installed is SPG. IO dont chop and change routes as I cant be bothered and its what I have the PS4 version for.

Hope this helps.

Hentis

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  12. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Brilliant. Thanks :)
    Might have to buy myself a PS5 then.

13. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

To be fair, I do know a fair amount about licensing, just not in this area around trains. When I said “I don’t know what it would hurt”, I guess it was a simplistic way of saying, “I’m surprised by the inconsistency at which licenses are attainable, and the player based isn’t large so I figured it would good advertising without the consequences of exposing yourself to a large gaming audience, like say lisencing a CSX loco in GTAV.” Obviously companies are allowed to do what they want for their own reasons. I was just curious about those specific companies. That’s all. Without knowing the specific reasons why a company wouldn’t issue a license, it’s kind of hard to have any sort of serious discussion on the subject. I was just speaking casually.

Obviously the professionals will deal with it, this is simply a form used for discussion.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022