The Downfall Of Trainsim World For Me. I'm Certainly Not Intrested In A 3rd Attempt To Get It Right.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gabe_1.0, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

I've pretty much as of right now un-installed TSW2 and looked back at how much I spent. The issue i realized is how is it that you need a 3rd paid upgrade to something released in 2020. In Australian dollars it put the price on the 3rd installment of 70 dollars for pre-purchase. I mean if there was automatically 75% off to get an easy and smooth transition for existing owners of TSW2 and TSW sure I'd understand but 3rd paid upgrade?

With the numerous bugs and glitches, questionable sound quality that I did not bother too much about as 3rd party modders solved these for us now I'm slapped with a 3rd attempt to get train sim world "as real as it gets" I'm just going to stick with Derail valley, it's got more solid train simulator experience in it's early access than any TSW title and in several months at the most, that will be fully developed with ongoing minor developlent free of charge. Your Train Sim classic which seems like it can be very advanced if you really wanted to will do the job for me, i got a variety of 3rd party payware floating inside already.

I may check it out in the future however when it does come down to 75% off or more. But so far I've had more rewarding experience in Derail valley than with any TSW titles, you are more than welcome to check it out as well but.

• Like Like x 37
  2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

TSW3 may well be full of bugs too. Was that why tonight’s and last night stream was cancelled. Could the release date be put back? Should have been a free update to TSW2 and you pay £24.99 for each route. Why do we need a new game every two years, perhaps someone from DTG could explain the logic please.

• Like Like x 23
  3. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Remaking the TSW2 core would be very difficult. A lot of new bugs could arise when adding new features. Better to develop TSW3. DTG solved many problems with this. And they also need money for further development.

• Like Like x 3
  4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The logic is simple.

Releasing a DLC for an existing game does not do much for bringing in new players.

Releasing a new game with lots of flashy marketing does far more in that respect.

DTG know that more and more people are withholding purchases, so they need these new players to keep increasing the profit.

Look at PS5 alone, got to wonder how many people aren’t spending there.

• Like Like x 6
  5. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

TSW2 and TSW3 are the same thing. To all intents and purposes identical.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 35
  6. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Totally 100% identical.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Well, i completely agree that DTG still need to learn & improve for TSW, and i agree that TSW3 core should be free for those who doesn't have any interest on the new route. But in the other hand, i also can't wait to get in touch with the new route, especially Cajon Pass. It's a pretty bargain for me in my region price getting 3 new route (never bought SEHS)

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I won't be ditching TSW2 as I do get some enjoyment from it. However I see no particular rush to buy TSW3 particularly if it does release as planned with bugs and no save game.

And I think it should be quite worrying for DTG to see threads like this and the now locked chaos one, popping up in the run up to their "new" game. Indicates something has gone rather seriously wrong and if I was a director or senior manager at the company I'd be asking some hard questions of those responsible.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 23
  9. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Yeah, ditching TSW2 is the last thing I'd want to do. Better to keep playing the version I know I enjoy and has features like save, while they sort out any problems with the new one, then pick it up in a sale down the line if they do.

• Like Like x 16
  10. seymourgoals

seymourgoals Member

I wont be pre ordering TSW3, still got plenty to play on TWS2 at the moment.
    Lots of previous comments i pretty much agree with, TSW3 is definitely not a new game no matter how you spin it.
    Will wait till it releases and see what actual gameplay is like, im kind of a new player. Started this January TSW2 and really enjoying it for the most part, but the issues are hard to ignore. Crashes/stuttering/no save/trophies/ not unlocking/sound issues are my biggest pet peeves.

Was waiting to see what improvements and fixes were made during the downtime but we now know this to be untrue as they were working on TSW3 instead. Doesn't fill you with much confidence. I naively thought there would be improvements in TSW3 such as better passenger behaviour, less stuttering, but so far seems that is not the case.

Last night i was playing Northern Trans Pennine in the class 101 timetable, not one passenger for the entire run getting on or off, full stopping from leeds to manchester, this is similar across other routes as well.

The game has so much more potential, so im hoping to be wrong and the game will improve. However will likely wait for a decent discounted sale rather than paying full price.

• Like Like x 14
  11. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

Out of all Dovetail titles TS classic is still preferred, alot of 3rd party developers have sunk their time and effort into that to created content for it, not many in TSW XX which is odd, it's been out for 2 years. I do admit one of the top favorites in TSW2 is the german vintage shunter. That's something i do drive quite often. Over in TS classic my collection is basically PRO range or 3rd party DLC.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I've been playing trainsims since the railworks days. I've always bought on release day or preordered, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm for TSW3 even though I own all the existing TSW DLC

I like to think I am quite a reasonable and understanding person, certainly not one of the, "I want it all now for nothing brigade",

The bugs, half finished DLC's with all the vague promises of fixes that we have been waiting years for, have really started to wear thin. I have lost all trust and faith that DTG is capable of delivering these.

There is nothing within TSW3, that makes me want to rush out and buy it.

The training centre - whilst this might be of some interest for new players, as an established player, I can't see it holding my attention for more than a hour, especially as it does not include any detailed tutorials for the more complicated aspect of the game

Dynamic weather - a nice feature, but it does not warrant a whole new version of the game.

New UI - again I don't see why we should be forced to pay for the terrible TSW2 design decision. The fact that we will still get multiple versions of the same loco, with no indication which route they are attached to is still a huge issue

In fact the way the launch announcement was hyped up, makes me suspicious that once again the marketing department is making promises that game can't keep aka "Rush Hour"

Will, I ever buy TSW3, maybe heavily discounted in the Xmas sales, but right now no.

• Like Like x 35
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  13. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I purchased TSW3 assuming that all of my TSW2 routes will be in there too and will have dynamic weather.
    Was my assumption horribly wrong and that everything in TSW2 is stuck in there forever with it's woeful lighting and dreadful weather system?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cant bear to watch the streams. 40fps on a rtx 3090 wow. We are heading back towards train simulator classic performance.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I already pre-ordered TSW3. I get three new routes and new features. Happy to support DTG by purchasing TSW3. I'm already looking forward to driving you a lot of kilometers.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

DTG have said that TSW2 routes ported to TSW3 will receive the dynamic weather upgrade, but not the other upgrades.

TSW2 routes will also receive the Preservation Crew updates currently on the Roadmap.

• Like Like x 3
  17. When did they say this? They said that this won't be the case a week ago.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Surely you're not read the TSW3 FAQ, let me quote it for you.

What features will “Train Sim World Compatible” add-ons benefit from in Train Sim World 3?
    Train Sim World Compatible add-ons will support dynamic weather and new lightning effects in Timetable Mode.

19. They should be taking note of these threads. If management where doing the job they are ment to be doing the team would ideally be ontop of the issues before the release of anything.

I've already ordered tsw3 maybe because I'm used to low fps and stutters from the start I.e railworks. I would of hoped by now dtg would have resolved the stuttering issue but they seem to be stuck in some kind of time loop in the space time continuum.

I do enjoy tsc and tsw and probably will enjoy tsw3 I'm just annoyed that dtg is now a multimillion pound company but still churning out content you would expect from a one man outfit.

• Like Like x 4
  20. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

You do realize they used TSW2 as a starting point right? They haven't made TSW3 from the ground up and yeah I agree they need money to keep development going and pay their employees etc BUT they still make plenty of money off the DLCs and TSW2 sales without needing to release a new game.

• Like Like x 11
  21. N
    No I didn't read it. I watched a dtg stream where it was said tsw2 content won't include the features in tsw3.

Thanks for pointing this out.

22. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

I have purchased 39 out of 56 available TSW2 DLC totaling to £437.77 spent and agree with your critique completely.

• Like Like x 15
  23. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel, I mean I only got TSW2 back in March and I also paid for Spirit of Steam on release day at full price (other DLC I got on sale or I already owned from TSW1/2020), then having DTG telling us that we'll be working on bug fixes and updating the older DLCs, don't worry we aren't going to be releasing anything new until we've done with bug fixing, only then to find out 2 months later oh yeah but the way here's our new game with features that should have been in the previous TSW titles but we're going to charge you £30+ for it. Nothing really grabs me by the balls in TSW3 for me to buy it on release or soon after, I'll wait until it's heavily reduced in price. I just want DTG to keep their promises and fix/update stuff for TSW2.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Your £437.77 plus my €553,80 spent on TSW could´ve bought us some beer, don´t you think?! Hookers included! :love:

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  25. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Doesn’t matter how you spin it, that is indeed the case.

The only 2 things that didn’t actually already exist in TSW2 are the Training Centre (effectively a simple DLC) and the new UI.

The Training Centre is an irrelevance to anyone who’s already played the game and is simply a mechanism to separate locos from routes and a vessel for all those God-awful & pointless tutorials. That was a poor design decision on DTG’s behalf in the first place which you’re now paying for the privilege of them sorting out.

The new UI is along the same lines, a supposed fix to previous poor design. This is now the third or fourth iteration of it and I’ll bet it’s not the last because it looks ok, but it doesn’t look great. Will people be happy to pay for another one?

Everything else, 100% of it, already existed in TSW2 because they are features built in to UE4 and simply needed enabling by the developers. Some of it was already working by way of mods anyway. Benefit of the doubt, they’ve gone beyond in optimising (read - in all likelihood made worse) the Volumetric skies for Gen 8 consoles, beyond that there’s really not all that much going on.

• Like Like x 13
  26. Since my chaos thread yesterday I've hired a solicitor to monitor what I read and write. Unfortunately you can't say hookers.

• Like Like x 4
  27. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Bare in mind that the lighting is not full TSW 3, but some trickery used so that TSW 2 trains look similarly lit on TSW 3 routes and TSW 3 trains look similarly lit on TSW 2 routes.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And nothing further.

• Like Like x 5
  29. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I would really like to see the face of a new she/he, who starts he's adventure with TSW3, drive it's shinny ICE 1 to the first station for about half an hour, where she/he get's a little confused as all the passengers are leaving his train and nobody is boarding it. Meanwhile, the train staying on the next track and departing to the depot is almost full of passengers - - that would be rush hour passengers bug.

Then she/he departs with his empty ICE1 wondering why even bother to go further while nobody is traveling to the second and final destination. Then, after another 30 minutes run she/he's being stopped on the red light and thinks "Wow, so cool, I have to wait for another train to pass before I'll be allowed to approach to the platform". And so she/he waits patiently for 5, maybe even 10 minutes, but nothing happens, so she/he finds and check the map and realize that there is no train that she/he should let pass, no other train is occupying the platform, yet she/he's train is not allowed to move further. She/he even finds out how to contact signaler, but receive the usual "Denied. Wait for signal to change" answer - that would be the red light issue.

So he/she realize that there must have something wrong happened, I will reload my save game and try again - oh, wait, there is no save to load, how about starting the whole 1 hour service again?

But hey, he's/she's might still enjoyed his ride, because sparkles coming from the pantograph and lightning, man, that's the game changer! She/he don't even mind that the ground looks like covered with snow, when in fact it's middle of July and it's just a rain storm.

Passengers are not boarding the train, yes, that's true - but did you notice they have umbrellas?! It's so cool! They are using it despite two feets away from them there is lot's of roofed space on the platform. But who would be staying under the roof when having an umbrella?

I could probably go this way for some more time, but I think that's enough.

That's what DTG calls "future of the train sim world", and a new game :)

• Like Like x 33
  30. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I feel the same as must. We have so many issues with current DLC like Harlem line,BML,still waitng for east coast way to get an upgrade and now they are moving on and leaving the other unfinished DLC behind. I don’t think is right.The right thing to do is fix all the issues, come out with new working DLC. After watching the streams I don’t see much difference in TSW2 and TSW3. This is my opinion

• Like Like x 11
  31. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

many a true word spoken in jest

32. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I also won't buy TSW3 anytime soon and have uninstalled TSW2

TSW3 did not address a single core issue besides lighting which still looks rather strange in many situations

• Like Like x 5
  33. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone can judge how much difference there is between TSW2 and 3 until after release, since Beta testers are inhibited by NDAs. I am not doing anything until we see how things turn out. And I agree that bugs in TSW2 should still be fixed. In my case, since I do not own SEHS or SoS and therefore the additional routes are a bargain, I could be satisfied if all the fixes come to TSW3.

• Like Like x 1
  34. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I'm off to a forum about cats to explain how I don't like them. Talk to you later.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Princess Entrapta

Can't wait to see the forum inundated by posts from first time players asking why the game has no save function after they just got a crash 90 minutes into a run on Cajon pass.

• Like Like x 21
  36. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

It is not that we don’t like trains. The complaints are about how DTG is treating them.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. Princess Entrapta

It's more like we're complaining on the forum for a cat shelter that they do not have a no-kill policy.

• Like Like x 1
  38. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

No offense to the OP, but the thread title strikes me as a little self-indulgent. Obviously people have their right to their own opinion and to think that something is overrated. But starting a thread about it just to say that you won't ever be playing TSW again?

• Like Like x 2
  39. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

There is ton of bugs yes, but the level of enjoying tsw was always higher than the frustration it caused sometimes.

Depends on your expectations. I like tmd & depot works / shunting & services. Even without having all implemented in the actual game, i like to simulate & make brake tests, assistance procedures etc. I have fun to use tsw as a sandbox.

• Like Like x 5
  40. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

So much moaning. TSW2 this, TSW3 that. I will not buy, everything is so bad, but i write a big essay every 5 minutes, because i don't care.

Some folks are so over the top on the negative hype train. Let the guys at DTG show their stuff, wait for release and reviews and then buy or cry.

• Like Like x 12
  41. Princess Entrapta

At the end of the day I still have TSW2, with all the ups and downs, and I still enjoy TSW2. And TSW3 needs to compete with that, or it doesn't, and I stick with TSW2.

• Like Like x 10
  42. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

This. We don’t need to know that you’re not buying the game. Just don’t buy it and move on. And if you aren’t going to play any TSW going forward then stop wasting your time on the forum dedicated to people who do play the game.

• Like Like x 14
  43. OldVern

This.
    The people who are popping in with the rose tinted spectacles, who are of course entitled to their view, seem to forget the rest of us are here and complaining because we do actually care about the hobby and want TSW3 to be everything it can be. Nobody wins if DTG release a stinker and they go down the drain, which is why it is essential to exercise, in a polite and constructive manner, the consumer lobby. If they release a game which is substantially the same as TSW2, but with no working save system, no discernable improvement to sound and some weird graphical effects then that is not carrying the train sim torch very high.

And at the risk of repeating the same old cliche, DTG are not a charity or freeware producer who deserve our sympathy and a pity purchase of TSW3. They are a multi million £ business, supposed to be professional and at the moment are not exactly aceing at that part.

• Like Like x 20
  44. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

In "my" viewpoint i buy three discounted routes (4 with SOS) and get the TSW3 upgrade for free. I will play TSW3 like TSW2, nothing changed.

• Like Like x 6
  45. OldVern

Until you want to save your game and come back to it later…

• Like Like x 7
  46. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

It's not all black and white, i'm not rose tinted. I was complaining about sound issues too, but i dislike exaggerated drama queening.

Like you said constructive and polite is the way to get heard.

• Like Like x 8
  47. You sure about that? I've seen members politely asking dtg for fixes for years. They are still waiting.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  48. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

Save function was bugged in all TSW versions. I learned to avoid it.

• Like Like x 4
  49. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

Yes i'm sure. Because act like a loony is counterproductive.

• Like Like x 1
  50. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

dr4w4t Exactly. That's how I think of it as well. It is a route bundle that I'd probably have bought anyway
    On the other hand people have been complaining less politely for years as well, and (some-of-the-issues-aren't-resolved / some-of-my-wishlist-items-aren't-implemented (delete as appropriate)).

I agree with anyone who says that sound is a massively important part of a simulation like this. Simugraph is very clever and I'm sure has contributed to a lot of the fun that I've had with TSW. But sometimes it feels like it makes producing realistic, engrossing sound more difficult than otherwise it would be.

I'm really looking forwards to getting my hands on TSW3 though and when people are apparently saying, "Are you sure? If you thought about it a bit more I'm sure you'd realise that it is rubbish." that winds me up.

• Like Like x 3