Stream For Rest Of Week Postponed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Aug 24, 2022.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I can remember a thread saying it is now those nvme drives that are recommended but even then there has been stuttering on all of them.

Haahahaha, I would jokingly call you a 'Teacher's Pet' but then Alex and a certain person would get all offended. Made me chuckle anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

dhekelian Sure! That's the best way a Nvme and that's the best en fastet option. I have it and the prices a the most the same as older versions or a little bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

NVME is just a type of SSD. Also Standard since a few years already. Still TSW will stutter being installed on one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Yeah the game constantly hitches/stutters on my i5-12600kf / RTX3070ti / nvme SSD / 32GB fast DDR4 ram.
    And don't forget, the same scenario is present on the PS5... even with all its power and dedicated hardware all versions of TSW hitch and stutter, and this is installed on an ultra fast nvme gen4 SSD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Stuttering has nothing at all to do with the power of your gaming rig. TSW would stutter on a Cray supercomputer: it's a function of the way it loads and unloads tiles.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Oh I know, that was my whole point... even with a fairly powerful PC and a new generation dedicated console, the game still hitches/stutters.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Xander1986

Now you're PC following not the minimum specs... A I5 12600k doesn't fit! This kind off processor produced the stuttering du to the lack off rendering power.

8. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It will even stutter with a 5800x3D
    TSW games always stutter, the hardware does not matter

• Like Like x 1
  9. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

To clarify the rationale for delaying streams, it's so that the streams better represent the game. My PC doesn't struggle with TSW, never has - it's always taken a bit of a hit in terms of frame rate due to the extra video I'm running to stream but even then my system isn't stressed at all. TSW3 is no exception to this. Peak resource use was ~60% GPU initially after the load-in, after that it was 30-40%, CPU was around 40% throughout with RAM at 40%. This covers everything, not just the game.

I've streamed TSW maybe 200 times in an "official" capacity and this is the first time I've had performance problems that are unrelated to the game. To say that the timing sucked is an understatement, but it's what led to the delay in further streams.

Quite rightly, the team have taken the decision to ensure that streams are properly representative of what you'll see on launch and to mitigate the risk of hardware acting up for any reason, we're going to be doing all streams of this kind from the DTG studio. To be honest I think we've lived on borrowed time here a little. Both Matt and I stream on our own time as well so have been able to stream from home without any problems, but as we expand the number of people who stream (and maybe don't do it on their own time anyway) we've increased the risk of the unexpected causing problems.

We didn't want to delay the streams, the game is in good shape, but equally we don't want the streaming to do more harm than good. Which, as is evident from this week's problems, isn't what we've achieved.

• Like Like x 18
    • Helpful Helpful x 10
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Look forward to seeing you all back hopefully next week

• Like Like x 3
  11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that the game is in the same shape as TSW2. That's what was said and we all know the performance issues of TSW2.
    Meaning regular stuttering on all systems, tile loading. Especially bad when going fast.
    Heavy FPS drops that should not happen for a game with this kind of graphics.
    Main Menu putting the GPU at 100%
    Badly optimized objects that tank FPS
    "Out of memor error" on gen9 consoles

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps I’m untypical, but I’ve not seen that on either PS5 or XSX.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Xander1986

What DTG Protagonist write is exactly what I been written all the time but a lot off people with no believe in DTG misused this thing as a option to bash more and they think they have now the wright spot to hit the button to say: "now you see that's the whole point! TSW3 is trash" or related reactions. Let me clarify that means not for everyone here :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Have seen it on Dresden Riesa on Series S personally and have read that some had the same problem on SeriesX approach to Dresden HBf

• Like Like x 1
  15. lorenz

lorenz Active Member

Speculation: Train Sim Matt didn't like seeing an ICE1 on the wrong track, at over 300km/h, cornering without derailing. The product must be able to present it. If I were a new user, faced with a similar promotional video (a total own-goal), I would say it would be great just to entertain our three year old grandchildren. PEGI 3. Luckily TSW3 is also something else, I hope so.

• Like Like x 1
  16. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response Sam, but the stuttering seen on the prerecorded segment on Tuesday is my biggest concern. This needs resolving and is equally as bad as the quality of the live section.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Indeed Series S is another matter completely having less than RAM than its big brother, and it seems DTG will need to make further optimisations. If you ever get the chance make the jump to the Series X, I am sincerely impressed with how it runs TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The prerecorded parts are still being relayed through a live stream, so whatever gremlins are troubling the streams at the moment dropped frames could be happening. Ive found OBS is a bit sticky for running some recorded content, it depends on what resources cameras and other media feeds are using despite the end user not seeing them. Also YouTube et al have their moments of flattening everyone’s live streams. fingers crossed a re-upload of the prerecorded content as a video only might show whether this was the case.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. redrev1917

Great but when Sam said that the stutters was the game and nothing else, I'm going to take his word for it..
    I mean you can make all the excuses you want to defend something you clearly didn't watch but it's not going to reassure me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

With the streaming performance problems I can't help but wonder whether the system requirements are really the same in TSW 3 as they were in TSW 2, and what this means for the console versions, which are fixed hardware. TSW 2 runs mostly beautifully on Series X, but there are still slowdowns in select areas, thanks to DTG forcing 4K all the time and not having a dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) solution. However, it currently feels implausible to me that the new volumetric sky system doesn't require more horsepower than the 2D skies in TSW 2.

DTG have been streaming for many years now without serious issues. And now, in one form or another, all TSW 3 streams so far showed excessive performance issues. The regular hitches (stutters), the low framerate in both Würzburg and the Training Center. I guess the streaming equipment hasn't become worse in recent years so it feels strange that it's suddenly the hardware to blame. Or, if it's really the case then it's an incredibly unfortunate timing that it appears with the new game.

For a good experience, "mostly 60 fps" is not enough, if there are whole areas and sections where it drops to 20-30. This is why DRS and upscaling techniques like DLSS and AMD FSR 2.0 exist. I upkeep my opinion that in this day and age, native 4K resolution is not only not mandatory but feels like a waste, especially if there's no other option (see consoles).

• Like Like x 2
  21. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

The stream was cancelled because they finally realized that they are tired of the same three countries. They had a eureka moment and decided to halt it until they can find some content from outside the so-called "big three". :D

22. Xander1986

I little silly this comment.....

• Like Like x 2
  23. RizGE777

RizGE777 Member

Seconded, as @DTG Protagonist has already explained the reason for the cancelled streams.

• Like Like x 1
  24. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

I have a middling rig - card is a 1660ti with 6gb - and have no serious stuttering running at 1440p - monitor is 4k, but I see no real improvement in the experience compared to 1440p. Also, I know some can see the difference between 40 and 60fps, but most cannot and with the sim locked to 40fps I see no stuttering. As for TSW3, the release will reveal all for patience please.

Also, does tsw2 ever make a constructive comment? Why is he even playing the game, with such negative reactions?

• Like Like x 2
  25. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

1 week to go for the pre launch goingnto be a busy week of streams next week now

• Like Like x 2
  26. hebertar

hebertar New Member

Several days and still they are not confident presenting something. It’s a bit concerning.

• Like Like x 2
  27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

No reason since TSW2 was the only game that crashed my Xbox Series S. Everything else runs fine

• Like Like x 3
  28. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Well early access is one week away and we have only seen an iffy stream of one route and an iffy stream of the training centre so far. Assuming they don't revisit either of these they have 4 days to show 2 routes plus two other streams and show everything working smoothly. Actually I think Monday is a Public Holiday in England so make that 3 days.

• Like Like x 5
  29. Some screenshots would do. Especially night lighting!

• Like Like x 1
  30. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I personally won't trust screenshots I will wait for raw footage on YouTube done by a player.

• Like Like x 3
  31. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I little silly? WTF? SMDH.

32. I wouldn't accuse dtg of falling to that level but I see your point.

33. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I dont accuse them of anything. Just saying promo-screenshots can hardly be trusted to represent the true graphics most of the time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

What got my attention in this latest article on SWHS was the timetable what Joe was able to do. I mean 500+ services there is amazing work. Graphic performance will have to wait until we can see a stream, if we do before it is out next Friday for pre buys.

• Like Like x 4
  35. redrev1917

Surprised theres no schedule out for next week yet, given its a bank holiday on Monday here in the UK, means its likely be Tuesday before we get to find out whats on when and given early access starts Friday, thats a lot to fit in.

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

i think most of us understand streaming while playing TSW2 may cause stuttering or may may not but it still doesn't alter the case that people have suffered from stuttering since the beginning of TSW2 and DTG has never really taken it seriously. People get stuttering from high end cards as well as low end ones. My old 1080 Ti card was brilliant and hardly got any stuttering but I remember seeing people with much better CPU's and GPU's than mine suffering from it but it never really gets the attention it deserves.

Obviously you cannot tailor for every setup but even so I'd like to know if it is a limit of the engine or of DTG coders.

• Like Like x 3
  37. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

It isn't a limit of the engine... Yes, there are stuttering issues with UE4, but they can be overcome with optimization. And garbage collection shouldn't be causing hitches the way it does.

• Like Like x 1
  38. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m wondering how this early access will work.I’ve got a niggle dates are going to get moved.

• Like Like x 1
  39. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Second this. An X would be great. An S does the job just fine. If the other games can get it right, Why am I upgrading for one game?

• Like Like x 2
  40. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think a lot of us are thinking the same thing, but afraid to actually say it in case it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Those of us who have purchased early access packs would not be happy if they were shortened or eliminated.

• Like Like x 3
  41. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

ive never had that issue on my PS5. Is that an xbox thing? Maybe even Gen 8 becoming too "old"?

42. Xander1986

May i ask how many times the team have to say its fine and it works well?! The game isn't the issue! That's what the team already said for many times!

Or do you mean the way how the EA taken place?
    That's quite simple.... The game release is september 2nd and the other game options runs later to the game on september 6th!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

An Xbox Series S thing apparently. Although technically it’s a gen 9 console, in terms of overall power it drifts just behind the PS4 Pro, and well behind an Xbox One X which are both “gen 8.5”. It does however have a little more memory than both the PS4 and PS4 Pro, which is why out of memory errors are surprising. Like I said earlier, it seems DTG needs to optimise further for this console.

44. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Some games also get it on Series X.
    Chorvs is particularly of note for frequent out of memory errors on that system.
    It tends to be something you only encounter on games by smaller independent developers who presumably lack a bunch of the resources of a big publisher to eliminate bugs like this pre-launch.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the level of trust is not what it should be.

However, since we've heard nothing to the contrary, I will be optimistic and anticipate that the planned release dates will be as published.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Xander1986

I'm sure that DTG knows what they doing it's not the first release and there is no upgrade in the UE so you can expect the same FPS and graphics functionality. So no worries in that case. It brings me more concerning when it should be a UE update.

• Like Like x 1
  47. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Still no update or news on streams next week? Common, DTG, the clock is ticking

• Like Like x 1
  48. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It is a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK so I wouldn't be at all surprised if nothing much is heard until Tuesday now.

• Like Like x 2
  49. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

So on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (early access launch is on Friday), they’re going to have to fit in:
    • Southeastern Highspeed Extended Preview
    • Cajon Pass Preview
    • TSW3 Audio Preview
    • Training Center Preview Reloaded + Gameplay from all platforms (promised by Sam)
    Maybe they’re going to be doing multiple streams per day or something?

• Like Like x 1
  50. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

There is no reason why they could not do a stream on Friday also. Early release should not stop them have it.

• Like Like x 4