Upcoming Release Train Sim World 3 - Feel The Power

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Aug 23, 2022.

1. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

"Technical issues" might be lag again...

• Like Like x 1
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m hoping technical issues means they don’t want another stream of people saying what’s up with the fps. All parties know the next stream people are going to focus on that

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And door sounds. For some reason someone always wants door sounds.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the clamour for pre-recorded items, you just need separate streaming pcs and gaming pcs, then the gaming pc is only doing the normal load.

Pre-recorded is not an event, there is no sense of people coming together and being able to steer the stream or influence it, you may as well watch a video afterwards. The best part of the previews is how they can react to questions, show off items etc. I didn't enjoy the pre-recorded sections used so far and it was painfully obvious that the people talking over them didn't entirely know or remember what happens next anyway. I get it is meant to be more "polished" but these are developers showing off their own games, not professional streamers (well mostly).

• Like Like x 6
  5. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I agree, in reality you can complain untill you're blue in the face but if it doesn't affect sales in some way they will just continue in the main anyway. I have noticed there are a few miffed people on threads over at Steam and Reddit over TSW3 with most calling it a blatant 'money grab'.

I find it amazing no-one thought of testing it before?

• Like Like x 6
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does seem to be.

The Farm Sim games, as an example, come out every couple of years, but generally introduce fundamental new features - a lot of them in the 2021 version. That really doesn't seem to be the case here. With TSW3, moving the training section into its own menu and changing the sky a bit, while potentially also carrying over most of the existing bugs with what is essentially the exact same game engine, doesn't – on the face of it – seem to be worth a whole new product. Time will tell if that's the case.

My main issue though, is that the Farm Sim games are completable items. They can be extended, sure, but on the whole, you've pretty much done everything when the next one rolls along. TSW is a continually expanding universe - anyone with a decent quantity of DLC for TSW2 will struggle to get anywhere near completion within two years and the TSW3 launch is simply offering you a chance to... do all the same stuff again.

A free core update, bug fixes, keep your progress and "here's a new bundle of DLC which take full advantage of the new features from the off" - that's a much more compelling sales pitch for me, and the update may pull back people who have drifted away because of all the issues.

People may scoff at "asking for stuff for free", but it's the shiny new DLC that sells this game. As it is, I won't be upgrading until a) I get the TSW2 Platinum I've been working towards, b) My progress is entirely transferrable to the new title, and c) There's a new route exclusively on TSW3 that I care about more than all of the unfinished stuff I've still got to do on TSW2 (and that needs to be a lot shinier than it would to just make me add it to my existing collection).

Oh, and d) there's a decent sale.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  7. roggek

roggek Active Member

For me TSW 3 is simply a cash grab.
    DTG doesn't even offer a discount for those who already owns TSW2...

• Like Like x 7
  8. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I suppose that if you want the two new routes, the standard pack is good value at £15 per route, and the upgrade to TSW3 is then “free” and you also get SEHS (or half of SEHS if you already own the original). If you only want SEHS, then it is not so good as you have to pay at least £29.99 for one of the routes you don’t want.

At the end of the day though, we’re going to have to buy it if we want any new DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

And that is the issue I only want SEHS but I already own the original. I don’t care for the training center or the other two routes

• Like Like x 4
  10. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Well just pay for the UK version then

11. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Then it's not such a good bargain is it £30 for half a route as i already own the other half. I'm paying 3 times the price per mile as someone who as purchased the German or US versions

• Like Like x 4
  12. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

only alternative is to wait and see if and what a sale could do.

Edit: it does seem that what was announced as a free SEHS extension for owners of SEHS on TSW2, only really applies if you are after one other route.

• Like Like x 1
  13. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

If you haven't got SoS go for that starter pack.

14. antony.henley

Dont buy it then and stick with TSW 2.

Hentis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I get a lot of flyers saying Buy a Case of Wine, get a bottle free. But I’ve already got a bottle of the free wine, so why can’t I have the free bottle without buying the case?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

you hit the nail on the head

• Like Like x 2
  17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Exactly. The SEHS extension and the updated SOS are not really free.

You have to give them something. If you want all that's offered, like me, then it's an excellent bargain. If you want either the US or the German route, it's fine, too. But if you want both and and nothing else, well, there's a yawning gap.

And if you don't want either of the completely new routes, you have to pay anyway.

Thing is, if you want future dlc, you have to buy the TSW3 core at some point.
    The first new dlc after this will be offered in a package that includes the TSW3 core, so, sooner or later you'll have to cough up the $30.
    It's a little bit of a Catch-22.

However, it's wrong to call it a " cash grab ", because all of the choices result in you getting something that you don't already have. What value you place on that is entirely subjective, but it's there.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, one of the first things I thought was "where's the loyalty discount?" Even if it's only like 10%, it would at least show that DTG appreciates you being a repeat customer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I won't be upgrading because there is nothing in those options I want. I was looking into that Training Centre but now it turns out you cannot use TSW2 in the Centre there is no point, I'll wait for TSW4......

Brilliant advice, let's hope more take up your suggestion eh?

• Like Like x 4
  20. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Loved this ahahaha

• Like Like x 5
  21. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I was so looking forward to the SEHS preview today! Oh well, patience has never been my strong point ...

22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I hope the drivers look half decent this time round and are not a bunch of munters that lose their hair randomly in some trains - you know, the radioactive ones.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

If that original bottle's going to take you a while to finish, and the free bottle is virtually the same, but with a slightly bigger bottle and fancier label, if you don't want anything else from the case, your best option is not to buy anything at all. The fancy bottle will be included in a more compelling offer within a few months anyway...

• Like Like x 2
  24. ffabio89

ffabio89 Active Member

At moment I can't decide what it better to do: buy the new TSW3 (with the German pack because I didn't like so much the low-speed American freight line) and hope DTG had done a very good work with sound and the new weather sistem, or stay with TSW2 and whait.....

I haven't watch the presentation stream at moment and I haven't also understand when the starter pack will available, so it's a little hard form me know how is the new route, sound, ecc.. and if it value it's price!

25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Wait and see what the early adopters say, then wait for it to go on sale at Xmas or Easter next year.

• Like Like x 4
  26. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Between Xmas & Easter there should be a couple of other occasions for discounts, too. The Festival of Rail may have higher discounts for the core and some DLCs than Xmas a month earlier, and March Madness likewise. After release of TSW2 there were sales for the core like once a month on Steam, starting from end of October (Halloween sale, Autumn sale, Winter sale, Festival of Rail, something in February - weekend deal?, March Madness). Actually Easter may see no sale if March madness goes ahead just 1-2 weeks before it.

• Like Like x 1
  27. antony.henley

Would this be white or red wine? As I cant stand red?

Hentis :)

28. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

What counts for me is that the sooner the switch to TSW3, the better. The pre-order package that is offered already includes a large discount margin, although I already have SEHS (but without the Class465). I like American freight routes, because they are slow you have enough time for great outside camera views and I think I can handle the braking system. ;) Furthermore this year the player is offered much more than with last year's Season Ticket, when you had to wait until all the routes were published one by one. I also have to get used to the new menu structure for a few days, but it looks more sophisticated than TSW2. The fan noise was always annoying in the old diorama menus...

• Like Like x 5
  29. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

So is this distributed power or not?

30. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think it'll just be your usual banking comm thing in basically every American freight route we've had. Since tsw doesn't have actual stimulation of the dpu

• Like Like x 2
  31. solicitr

If DTG had introduced proper DPU operation they would be making a big deal of it.

32. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

Sorry my ignorance but what is a DPU?

33. solicitr

Distributed Power Unit. Unmanned locomotives spread along the consist, operated by radio remote control

• Like Like x 1
  34. OldVern

Used to be known as “helpers” either mid train or rear.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Although " banking com " is somewhat fictional, I actually think it's a decent compromise for train simulators.
    But it has to be properly implemented, so that the player can rely on it for DPU operations.
    Too often in the past , it has been unreliable ( SPG ), or completely omitted or forgotten( CRR ).

36. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with current banking comm system is, when we applying the automatic brake (the air), the DPU engines won't bail off by itself. Because of that, it didn't provide any dyn braking force, so i can't blend the dynamic brake & air brake properly. The dynamic braking effort just come from lead formation engines.

37. solicitr

Not exactly. "Helper" or "banking" engines (on grades) date back to the steam era, long before radios, and permanent trailing engines/MUs to shortly after the start of the diesel era. Where these differ, very significantly, from DPU operation is that they are manned: there is a crew aboard, which in days of yore had no communication with the lead and simply matched up as best they could; since the 1940s they receive instructions by voice radio. This latter is what "banking comms" effectively represents, but for the lack of NPC trail crew who really ought to be there. Note that there are many older engines in service which still operate this way, since they have never been retrofitted for DP.

DPUs, by contrast, are unmanned; they are all directly controlled remotely by the lead (sole) engineer. Notice that in DPU operation, the remote units are not necessarily simply duplicating what the lead does; they can each be driven independently. This is crucial in, say, cresting a summit, where you want your trail engines still pushing well after the leads have gone over to braking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. OldVern

I was generalising as I remembe Trains magazine and various Pentrex video commentaries back in the 80's and 90's mentioning helper locos. The term DPU was never used.

39. solicitr

That's because DPUs were comparatively rare before the mid-90s; the tech had been around for a while, notably on the Southern RR, but it really didn't take hold for a while.

Also, older sources may often use the term "Locotrol" instead (the brand name used by Harris Control Systems, who at one time had a virtual monopoly).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  40. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

That is true. But that doesn't mean DTG can't be criticized though

• Like Like x 1