Will Dtg Ever Go 'international?'

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Aug 20, 2022.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Are you referring to Strasbourg Appenweier Karlsruhe line. On a workshop Wednesday stream Jamie mentioned that it was merged with Frankfurt am Main to Karlsruhe and Frankfurt am Main Wiesbaden Mainz Koblenz.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm only really interested in UK routes but surely it wouldn't take much to have a Dutch route would it? Even a Danish route? Also Bulgaria would be a good choice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I would do the same. Japan is a fantastic rail country. Riding the trains and visiting the museums are some of the highlights of my trips there.

• Like Like x 4
  4. driverwoods#1787

For a Dutch Route DTG can introduce one and international if there is a demand for it. The starting point can be Duisburg Hbf HRR then go to Utrecht Netherlands via Arnhem the HDU If merged with HRR HDBU.
    Non merged Hollandstrecke Duisburg Utrecht merged with HRR Hollandstrecke Duisburg/Bochum Utrecht. Makes HRR busy meaning S3 to Oberhausen Essen Steele Ost follows a Freight train at Mulheim Styrum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Seeing how many railways there are in the world, and how diverse this industry is, I think it's safe to say that Train Sim World just doesn't live up to its potential. It surely doesn't represent the "world" that is in its title. Focusing on three countries may be understandable from a game development standpoint, heck, maybe even a financial standpoint as well, but it doesn't change the fact that this game will never break out from this small-time form factor unless it starts to introduce really diverse content.

There have been several explanations for the lack of diversity. The team has experience only in UK, US and German trains / signalling systems (as if it was impossible to start getting familiar with new ones), or that Train Sim World is still a young franchise. Well, it's been four years already since the first release, with DLC coming out from seemingly a conveyor belt, and that's good - but there's only so much three countries can do for the worldwide community of simulator fans. Even though these are the three biggest markets for a video game, neglecting all other regions in the world is just wrong, and is making the whole franchise stuck on this medium level.

Money or budget is also a hardly believable explanation. Over the past four years, so much work and effort (e.g. money) has been poured into new routes, features, preservation, etc. Surely new countries could have been introduced with fewer DLC released instead. I would take it any day. Less but more diverse content overall. I'd have spent much more money on it for sure, than with this setup.

There is so much variety out there, from trains to scenery that it's incredibly frustrating not seeing any of it in this game. I honestly believe that the only luck DTG has is that there's no competition on this market. Dread the day when Microsoft realizes they should bring back Microsoft Train Simulator, or another similar game appears on the market. Even with less fidelity in the simulation, if the content is more spectacular and more varied, more people will choose that one.

Now, with TSW 3 the developers have the opportunity to spice things up and kind of draw a line, start with a more or less clean slate, and build a different strategy. Is more diverse content planned this time around? I doubt it, but I guess we'll see. I would love to see more countries represented, basically any country in the world has interesting routes and locomotives. Of course, another solution was to allow third-party developers to build and release content for the platform, but that's not the case currently. The more years pass the more disappointing it is to see DTG not paying attention to other regions, because as much effort they put in it, their game just doesn't make the train simulator world justice, and I wish more and more that someone would appear with a more diverse product.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  6. dhekelian

I think you will find the Netherlands is very popular, I think Sam said on one of his secret lists, lol. But what gets me is that DTG do these surveys and they know what is popular and then they go off and do something completely the opposite or not at all. As regards to the UK they knew most did not want another South East route but they did one anyway.

Surely all they have to do is ask the player base for say their top 3 routes in a particular region and pick the most popular, but people want new routes and different Loco's.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

I would prefer more routes on the same countries like UK, DE and US plus some Dutch routes.
    I think that spreading routes over so many coutries can increase the player base but for me it could mean, OK we have routes over many countries but comes that feeling of incomplete route.

Just to mention I feel like this on S-Bahn Zentralschweiz. A beutiful route but too short.
    Even with BML I feel like that sometimes. With so many branches and complete runs only to Brighton and Reigate.

• Like Like x 3
  8. dhekelian

I also think many people would like more complete route routes. We seem to get pretty empty routes bar one or two. GWE is laughably empty for example. I find it strange that DTG do a route and we then find there is no Loco DLC anymore.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

I know nothing about game development but one thing crucial in my opinion that DTG should start doing is work to improve dispatcher and create more complex situations that may ocur in railways. Faulty trains, passengers causing delays, etc...etc... I don't even know if this is possible to achieve but if so, would bring a whole new world of possibility as a train simulator. Dynamic Weather on TSW3 can be a start if it work as I imagine.

• Like Like x 5
  10. driverwoods#1787

I agree and that is why Duisburg Oberhausen Utrecht should be the first dutch route and is International from Germany. For Starters Duisburg Utrecht merged with HRR Duisburg/Bochum Utrecht gives a DB BR1429 to HRR for S3 S1 subsituting the DB BR422 if one owns HRR and furthermore Mulheim Styrum is not dead basically making it more busy. The message for DTG is that if they want to expand into a new country they should use an existing station in-game as a start point for international routes. Munchen Hbf on HMA can go to Innsbruck via Garmsich Partenkirchen SKA Aachen Hbf to Belgium Liege Dresden Hbf Riesa Dresden Dresden Chemnitz to Poland via Gorlitz or Czech Republic via Schona and Bad Schandau these two are seen on Riesa Dresden Dostos S1 from Meissen. Hamburg Hbf on Hamburg Lubeck the Padborg Flensburg Hamburg Line introduces Denmark. Sadly DTG doesn't seem to listen to the community on international routes from In-game countries to introduce a different one. On the other hand, Germany to Austria is a run-through operation due to DB OBB using PZB since the 1960s. Need an electric shunter locomotive that can do a job of DB BR363 inside Hagen Vorhalle if built and HMA Rbf Laim OBB routes give 1064 1063 1163 to German routes in return 204 363 G6 can work OBB yards

• Like Like x 1
  11. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

They should rebrand this as UGU Train Sim. UK, Germany, USA Train Sim. But in all seriousness, I give up hoping for variety on this platform. This is why I now spend more time with Train Simulator Classic. One day, another company my come along with a product which is more global.. and when that day comes, I shall kiss TSW goodbye and delete my install.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dreampage

Well, speaking of competition... DTG just got it. Not gonna advertise it here obviously but now TSW is not the only train simulator in Xbox/PC town.

13. Spill the beans, we are all non biased here.

14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Based on the PC version on Steam, the train driving in that game is very arcady, and not realistic.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  15. dreampage

Either way, competition can only be a good thing. The more options customers have the better. Heck, I would rather play the latest Densha De Go at this point, because it's Japanese, runs butter smooth and is much fun, even if it's pure arcade. I hope the market gets more lively in the future, otherwise TSW will never progress meaningfully content-wise.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Whilst true, Train Life does offer a different style of gameplay if you like manager games

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

Same here. Uninstalled TSW and just sticking to TS Classic, got a bit tiered of the South African stuff now as while the scenery is accurate (to a point), the sounds, graphics, and physics are really not good. Looking at the Australian and Dutch stuff that’s available online. I do see there is Japanese stuff, but high speed running between 2 or 3 stations really doesn’t interest me.

I have been playing Farming Sim 22 quite a bit lately, and it got me thinking about how diverse other sims are. I mean with the flight simulation community, addon airports are made for countries all over the world, even small airports out in the middle of nowhere that only 2 people in the world know of. Then there is Farming Sim, and people make mods of things that are from all over the world. You then have GIANTS making DLCs for different aspects as well - I mean logging in Farm sim is not nearly as big as any of the other farming you can do, but yet the platinum DLC is featuring logging, even though a larger majority of the fs simmers won’t be interested.

Really makes DTG look narrow minded, but anyways, with non of us on here being game developers, we unfortunately stuck with what we got and what we keep getting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Only one of the Japanese routes is a Shinkansen route, the rest is rural commuter type and they are all quite different. And even the Shinkansen route has a commuter mainline going alongside it for a while that you can drive the 701 series on. So I can really recommend the japanese content for Train Simulator.

A new train or route is also in the works by the developer, judging by the work in progress screenshot it's going to be a modern commuter EMU (JR E232 series or something similar, featuring the double decker cars as well). So if that route releases, I will also hop back into Train Simulator Classic for a while.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

But there's a huge difference between making an airport for a flightsim and making a route for a trainsim - the world outside the airport is already there, and so are the planes to fly in and out. I'm sure there are clever folks on this forum who could build a detailed representation of (say) Euston station, but that wouldn't do much without a route to connect it to and suitable equipment to run on it.

• Like Like x 1