377 Third Rail Shoes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bigtasty, Aug 27, 2022.

1. bigtasty

bigtasty New Member

Hi all,

I've been away from TSW for some time, and was thinking about re-installing it today. I mainly play UK routes but my biggest complaint is the incorrectly modelled third rail system, specifically it seemed that the dev's only modelled one third rail shoe being connected, leading to traction motor cut out anytime you crossed over a set of points.

In reality there would be multiple shoes touching the third rail at any one time preventing this from happening. I'm wondering if this has been fixed, or even addressed at any point?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. No it hasn't.

3. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

It's a realistic feature, ok so it may occur more often than in real life but that certainly doesn't mean it's a bug that needs fixing. Also, there are many points in which you run over a gap and the motors don't cut out.

4. bigtasty

bigtasty New Member

I wouldn't say it's realistic if it doesn't represent the real train. The 377 has 8 shoes per 4 car unit, presumably four on each side. For the traction motor and associated systems to loose power then all four shoes must loose contact with the third rail. There are incredibly few places that this could happen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's not realistic. In rl there's signs to let the drivers know when there's a gap so they can make sure there not in full power. I would imagine the shoe literally welding itself to the third rail otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

DTG development schedule puts this just behind working & accessible toilets!

• Like Like x 2

7. I do wish they would hurry up. I'm dying for a pee.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Isn't the traction power jumpered through the train too, on mainline EMU's?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah I believe so. Per units.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

So therefore there should be no loss of line light or power when crossing a gap.

11. Andy L

Andy L Member

Correct, apart from in the highly unlikely eventuality that no shoes in the unit are in contact with the juice rail.

• Like Like x 3
  12. OldVern

Whack, whack oops then. DTG got it wrong!

13. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

This is only true for OHLE neutral sections, there are no signs for third rail gaps AFAIK - at least not that I've seen...

14. OldVern

The only third rail traction which could get gapped would be the Class 71/73/74 locos. In the case of the 71’s and I think 74’s they had a flywheel to maintain power crossing gaps and the 73 could start the diesel engine to get out of trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think the jumpered cable is only present per set. I.e if you have a 4 car 375 the front and rear motor cars are jumpered thru the trailers but 2 4 car units aren't jumperd thru the coupling. There's a few places in Kent where there's a gap, I think these are mainly junctions.

16. Jasonic

Jasonic Member

You are correct it has not been modelled correctly, I did report this ages ago but doubt it will be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jasonic

Jasonic Member

The 313’s have been gapped now and again, one time on an empty test run from Brighton to Haywards Heath up loop, then back to Brighton, upon leaving the up loop crossing to the down it gapped, you can imagine the problems that caused on the Brighton mainline.