PlayStation Would Dovetail Care To Explain?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by MrSeanFace, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

So would someone from Dovetail care to explain? If as clearly stated in their response the Ruhr-Sieg Nord route did not make up the bulk worth of the WSR patch last month then how is it that at release the download size is only 1.2m? Clearly the patch did not only put in "ground work" but did in fact, as I originally suspected, contain the whole Ruhr-Sieg Nord dlc. Something you strongly denied, as can be seen in this screen cap.

43494473_2326313440717323_7893712851355828224_o.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Samuel

Samuel Member

No new fixes? I would better to wait for winter sales before buying.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

Because, once again, Playstation have the wrong number entered into the file size on their store page.
    According to the playstation store, WSR is also 1.2MB

4. Samuel

Samuel Member

Okay. Let's wait for an official announcement about release and path notes if they would be

• Like Like x 1
  5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

the 1.2Mb will be the key that unlocks the content that is already there on your PS4. It's common that all players have the same build even if they don't own the dlc. So I think we already have the content

• Like Like x 4
  6. Samuel

Samuel Member

So it means, that no new fixes. Am i right?

7. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Unless there is another patch coming out then I expect not.

Anyone that buys and downloads RSN can maybe confirm if they had anything other than the 1.2Mb install. You would imagine RSN to be several GB size

8. Samuel

Samuel Member

Yes, i understand this. But the main thing was in the first post. That we already received this route in previous patch

• Like Like x 1
  9. Canon772

Canon772 Active Member

Have you told Sony that it is wrong?
    The file for WSR only took a few seconds to download and install so quite clearly was only small.

10. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

They don't told Sony anything because there is nothing wrong with the file size. The download actually just unlock content already on your PS4, problably since the last patch.
    I think you'll be better informed by asking other forum members.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

No, that's misinformation. WSR is only a 1.2mb unlock. The first update to TSW you put out automatically installed the WSR dlc and so anyone buying WSR by default will need an updated copy of TSW which in turn means they only require a 1.2mb unlock. You should know this, you're the dev, Sony has not made any mistake at all.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

And here's confirmation that you had indeed lied about the contents of the last "patch"

43450117_2327207813961219_882383344287875072_ob.png

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ibanez074

Ibanez074 Member

That's naughty if true

• Like Like x 4
  14. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Both updates contained the 'DLC' it's common practice as I believe Sony charge more for storing larger data on their servers, a way around this, include the larger data files in a 'patch' to effectively hide the DLC, only providing an unlock 1MB store download. The benefit for the player, almost instant access when bought DSC_5206-02.jpeg

15. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

Yeah I have no issue with this as a common practice, I've even commented on here before somewhere that the devs of 'theHunter: Call of the Wild' have done this with each of their dlc's. Makes sense right. My issue is with the Dovetail denying this is what they had done, and they were still denying it just earlier today in this very thread when they said "Playstation have the wrong number entered into the file size on their store page. According to the playstation store, WSR is also 1.2MB" in an attempt to perpetuate their bold faced lie.
    Since this whole thing started they've deleted posts which contained screen shots of statements made by themselves, deleted whole threads because they were being called out for being underhanded and had no answer to calls for more translucency... this is about their credibility.
    Take another look at the original screen cap bellow.

43494473_2326313440717323_7893712851355828224_o.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ibanez074

Ibanez074 Member

I've just purchased RSN and it took a whole 1.5 seconds to download haha! Having said that im rather liking it - apart from the empty roads yet again...

• Like Like x 3
  17. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

There's two main issues.

Firstly TSW is just not suitible for this method of distribution. Imagine TS2019 had all the DLC pre-downloaded regardless of whether it was purchased, it would run into the hundreds of Gigabytes. With DTG taking this route, presumably to save money, people have purchased a DLC heavy game that will expand with every new DLC regardless of whether or not they have purchased it. Harddrive space, especially on console, is at a premium. There's also the issue of data, as not everyone has an unlimited internet connection. Imagine you're on a limited connection, purchasing one DLC and having to do an 'update' which downloads three other DLCs you haven't purchased, just to be able to play the one you have purchased.

Secondly, DTG failed to be honest when people asked a legitimate question. Then when confronted with evidence contrary to their original statement they go on to blame another company, Playstation, saying that it's Playstation that have put the wrong file size on the page. This is after disguising the complete DLC downloads as 'Support for West Somerset Railway' and 'Support for RhurSiegNord'.

Why not just be honest? I also want to be clear that I'm not blaming TrainSim-Luke as he's probably none the wiser to any of this. But that's yet another thing DTG are doing which I feel is out of order; Putting someone in the position of Community Manager and then giving them duff information to feedback to customers is not a nice position to put someone in.

Hopefully this thread doesn't get sent down the memory hole like the poll thread did!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  18. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

I'm in awe of this post. Terribly well put, you're the godfather of this thread now, Don Draftsman... I'ma peacefully sunset myself, sit back here and wait, see if DTG can respond with equal poise and decorum.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

Just to confuse this post slightly I bought wsr on xbox a week or so after it launched and had a 2.65 gig download for it. Can't speak for the new dlc as I don't plan on buying it anytime soon ;) although we did have a 5 gig update last week

20. Northlander

Northlander Guest

That'll be the latest DLC...

As for having DLC built in to patches, I've never had an issue with that (I can understand the problem with some gamers having valuable storage space eaten up with content they may never want) I just don't get why DTG got all defensive...that was odd, it's not like it's underhanded, I've seen this during the PS3 era, where I foundout it was because of storage costs of large files on the Store servers.

But as for the file size being incorrect on the store...nope, I watched it download... Less than 10 seconds and it was installed on my PS4

• Like Like x 1
  21. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Im on pc with the base game, gwe and wsr installed. I have a folder in steam/steamapps/common/ called train sim world and it is 29.1gb

Perhaps someone with less or more dlc can check that folder size as well?

That should cross check it either way.

22. Lord_Beelzebub

Lord_Beelzebub New Member

I think this method of distributing DLC is crap. You’re forced to down content, taking up storage space on your hard drive that you may not want and have no intention of buying.

Patches should always be completely separate from DLC.

• Like Like x 5
  23. Lord_Beelzebub

Lord_Beelzebub New Member

Cities Skylines does this same crappy DLC/patch tactic. I have that game. I bought the season pass for that game purposely wanting all the DLC. But for those who don’t want all the DLC, those people got screwed being forced to download it anyway. The only time they released a patch to fix game bugs was the same time they released new DLC. So the patch file size was multiple gigs large. To get the patch, you had to download the DLC as well. If you wanted the new DLC, the only thing purchasing it did was instantly unlock it. If you didn’t want the DLC, too bad, it’s installed on your PS4 hard drive weather you like it or not reducing your hard drive space.

If this game developer is doing this same BS, it looks like I won’t be buying this game after all. I live in the US and the only DLC I’m interested in is US stuff, Europeon or Germany trains and rail lines do not interest me and sadly that’s the majority of DLC that’s been released thus far.

Over time, I refuse to have 10 gigs worth of DLC consuming my hard drive of content I don’t want and don’t plan to buy. That’s complete bullsh**!! I seriously hope this isn’t what this game developer is doing to people. Screwing us to save themselves a couple bucks or being lazy by not separating patches from DLC.

Wow, and my wife told me today to go ahead and buy this game this Saturday so I could enjoy playing it. NOPE! Between this and a lack of US content, not worth my money.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  24. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

Actually Expansive Worlds the devs behind theHunter: Call of the Wild turned this practice into a pretty neat feature. Say we both have a copy of the game, I buy the latest hunting preserve DLC, you don't. If I invite you to join me in multiplayer on the new map, even though you haven't bought it, because it's already on your system you can still join right in and play it, with me as the sponsoring host. Likewise you could buy the next one and invite me in and so on. Plus the whole thing is less than 25gb right now and that's with 4 huge maps and a whole bunch of other stuff too so...
    I'm by no means defending the practice, hell no. If every game were to do this we'd be screwed for storage in no time. What I do take issue with is the deceit, the denial and the make believe crap about Sony publishing the wrong details. It's utterly bonkers.

25. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Would it be too much to ask that the base game be sorted out FIRST then the devs could make all the dlc they want*? This is like building a house, but before the foundation has been completed, the builders are off already building the second floor!

[​IMG]

*Not saying I would buy it all. I was interested in WSR, but given what I have seen/heard, I don't know if I will bother.

• Like Like x 5
  26. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Just so you know all these practices you’re talking about like the DLC model, and DTG not fixing bugs before releasing more DLC have been going on since like Train Simulator 2012. So this isn’t something new.

• Like Like x 2
  27. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

I purchased the deluxe edition and all I play is the NEC scenarios. I have both DLC packs and it's just over 20gb on my 1tb hard drive. I do understand that the lack of US railroads can be a deterrent but I'm sure some will be released. If you're a rail fan, I recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Thats the same as me with the basic tsw, gwe and wsr. If it was downloading everything youd expect them to be diffetent sizes?

29. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I can't really say much about that, as TSW is my first DTG game. Either way, it is a practice that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. And the cherry on this buggy cake, is even the dlc is buggy. When games are released in a broken state, gamers should not be treated as unpaid testers.

I would gladly go back to the old days when games were delayed if they were broken.

• Like Like x 5
  30. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

Funny how this thread is so popular yet there are no developer posts after the first one. I think you guys may have spooked them.

• Like Like x 1