Will Tvm Be Fixed For Tsw 3?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by animatiker, Aug 27, 2022.

1. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

Hi all

the release of TSW 3 is getting closer and although I'm still not sure if I am going to buy it soon after release, I'm quite looking forward to what it offers.
    I'm German and mainly drive German and British routes, so at first I wasn't really exited when TSW 3 was announced - I don't like high speed routes, especially on German routes where it's just watching what the LZB and AFB are doing, and SEHS was just an extension of a route which I, well, not dislike, but never really used a lot, because it felt just so empty.
    However, after reading the latest Dovetail Live article, it made me looking forward to the new timetable, which seems quite interesting.

On thing bothering me on SEHS (and LGV) since the beginning though, is a bug(?) with TVM and the HUD.
    When showing a diamond, the new speed limit soon applies in the HUD, although a e.g. diamond 200 tells you that 200 is the speed limit from the next TVM block onwards.
    A flashing limit does not force you to brake soon, but just tells you, that the next block shows a more adverse signal.
    For example, the normal sequence for braking down from 225 to 80, like when arriving at Stratford from Ebbsfleet, should be (each "-" marking a new block):
    green 225 steady (limit 225) - green 225 flashing (limit 225, the next block will show something more adverse, prepare for braking) - diamond 200 flashing (limit still 225, brake down to 200 until the next block, which will show something more adverse) - diamond 160 flashing (limit 200, brake down to 160 until the next block, which will show something more adverse) - diamond 100 steady (limit 160, brake down to 100 until the next block) - white on black 100 (limit 100).

Instead, currently the new limit already applies when the diamond is showing. I attached 2 screenshots which show this misbehaviour in the HUD. I don't really care about the AP, so I just drive according to the real TVM rules - the emergency brake applies as in reality, so it's more a problem with the HUD as with the TVM itself, I guess. Still, it's kind of an annoying problem.

The following page also explains the system quite well with many examples, but unfortunately only in french:
    https://lesiteferroviaire.pagesperso-orange.fr/TVM 430.htm

I really hope this could be fixed for TSW 3.

Best regards,

Sven

• Like Like x 2
  2. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

IIRC the limit is not applied (you still get all the action points without any penalty because you are not really over the limit).
    I think DTG updates the UI as soon as TVM indicates that the next block has a lower limit just to help players stay at an allowed speed and not trigger an emergency brake.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The blue pointer on the HUD advises you of the your signal speed target, the red pointer shows you the current limit. Yeah it's not perfect and I agree a bit of work on this would be nice

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No, the flashing diamond speed is not in effect yet nor violated (if it was, the HUD would turn red). It's just DTG's way of trying to communicate "you should be braking now." It does the same with US ACSES.

• Like Like x 1
  5. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

Hi all,

thanks for your clarification.
    It seems I totally misunderstood the HUD as "yellow = you're doing it wrong". In LZB mode the blue pointer shows the current allowed LZB speed (or your selected AFB speed, whichever is lower), so I guess I mixed something up.
    Didn't notice I still get all the AP because I never turn them on (as you can see on the Screenshots) - should have checked that too.

Sorry!

• Like Like x 2
  6. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

No reason to be sorry. I took me too quite some time to figure it out. It is bad design and should be improved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1