International English

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Aug 28, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Just remember the first rule of TSW4 is don't talk about TSW4, this is the version where DTG bow to public pressure and switch to Unity engine. But then the same people who'd been moaning about UE and wanting to switch all kick off that their collections don't port across and that it isn't a free update.
    TSW5 then reverts back to UE and everyone who moaned about the TSW4 switch kick off on the forums that the 3 TSW4 routes don't port over and that it isn't a free update. They also moan that their TSW2020 preserved routes (although ported over) haven't got the new features of TSW5....

• Like Like x 2
  2. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

GrandMoffLucaPaguro Active Member

And TSW 6 will be a massive middle finger as they decide to go with Amazon Lumberyard

3. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

At least the services will be easily accessible during a zombie apocalypse.

Cheers

4. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should just have the test facility unlabelled, like the map

• Like Like x 1
  5. Or just call it the test facility. Unless there's several different spellings for facility?

6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I would float the suggestion of calling it;
    "Loop for train to go brrrrrrr"
    No American Vs British English debates, and it's a good one for the kids!

• Like Like x 1
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

There will also be a subscription model in regards to additional content.

Engineers addition is £6 a month to get extra livery stickers specifically made for the trains coming to livery designer once preserved releases

£8 a month, in addition you get access to a high speed track showing the true speed of the trains . This is the longest test track at 400 miles for you to really stretch the legs of the gp38 and class 101. With minimal scenery you'll see 67fps all day long with zero tree pop in (or trees)

For 27.50 a month you get access to all route dlcs for tsw 3 only, access to a selection of sound bites from roadmap bingo and a new achievement called "strastophreric sam" whereby the aim here is to launch your train higher than the Artemis rocket (shouldn't be hard after todays scrub) . Alongside this pointless achievement you will also get your very own colonel failure npc to use in game (providing licensing release form is signed (currently being worked on with the iow licensing ))

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I don't like to nitpick but I thought I should just let you known that you spelt facility like that when the correct spelling is fasilitea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Is there a joke in there that I'm not getting?

10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Oooh, if they go that route, they can copy Star Citizen in other ways too, like offering preorders years in advance for loco DLCs that cost a thousand quid, too

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Can't wait to spend $3000 on a Class 395 Javelin :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. matt#4801

Meh maybe a really shoddy one which is so terrible I can't believe my mind managed to think of it but in all seriousness fasilitea does mean the facility in basque which is an incredibly odd thing someone I met in a pub who was from spain told me many years ago and it has been a piece of information that has up to now been useless.

• Like Like x 3
  13. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

You would of thought so eh?

Makes me laugh when people say 'British English' No such thing. English comes from England and is known as just English or some call it international English. All other English are variations of English, American-English and so on.

You had to go there didn't you! You diss the Ovaltinees at your peril! We are watching.................(breaks into song 'We are the Ovaltinees'):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Callum B.

Britain is not just England, though the English often forget that.
    Within Britain there are several dialects even within the individual countries. There is no one true dialect of English. Certainly I doubt any of us here have the academic credentials in linguistics to purport ourselves as 'experts' on the matter. The subject is silly and I am ashamed to say that, despite Sam's forecast, several of the UK players are in fact not mature enough to handle the change.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  15. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

It isn't really a silly subject, and yes although within the British Isles there is more than 1 dialect of English, British English is regarded as being the main language, this is despite there being several different dialects of the language even within England itself.

As for what we regard as International English, that would arguably fall to British English, as it is the language used even by the United Nations.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

I'm afraid it's still useless - instalazio would be Basque for facility.

17. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Its the damn lies coming from DTG I can't stand not the way centre/center is spelt.
    There's no such thing as "international English" and to try and claim there is their customers shows how little regard they have for our intelligence. Its an insult.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Callum B.

Exactly, British English is an umbrella term for several different dialects and is a very real general morphology of English. It's silly to say that there is no British English "because that's just English." You understand perfectly.

Cheers

20. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, "English" is what is used by those who speak with a British accent* and "English 2.0" is what we use in America. (*Yes, I consider anyone and everyone from Wales, England, New Zealand, Australia, and the Isle of Man as having a British accent. Not so Ireland or Scotland, though for some reason, maybe it's because Hollywood never told me to think that...) [/tease]

All joking aside though, despite the fact that I spell it "center", it baffles me as to why DTG spelt it the way they did. Had they used "centre" then no one would have given it another thought. No one from the USA would have complained. If they thought about the matter at all, which is unlikely, they'd likely have thought "ah, how quaint! They're an English company after all (or maybe a Kentian company depending on how you look at it, seeing as how Kent used to be it's own kingdom back in the day) - that's how they do things over there! I mean, they already use British terms like 'points' instead of 'switches', 'driver' instead of 'engineer', 'guard' instead of 'conductor', 'calling at' instead of 'making stops at', 'loco' instead of 'engine', 'level crossing' instead of 'grade crossing', etc." But instead, as they have many times before, DTG chooses to do something which creates needless controversy. It honestly makes me think the people at the top are narcissistic sociopaths who get off on getting people to argue and fight.

• Like Like x 2
  21. matt#4801

Thanks for pointing that out but like I said I was just going from what I was told by the Spanish man in the pub which after some doubt was confirmed by google translate. Also again according to google translate instalazio means installation in basque apparently.

22. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Google Translate isn't accurate anyway, you put in "Panzerfaust" you get "Bazooka" instead of "Tank Fist".

• Like Like x 2
  23. Conductor B

Well, if you think about it in a metaphorical kind of way, isn't a bazooka kind of like a tank fist? :D

24. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, but the translation is very inaccurate. The German product-improved version of the US bazooka was the Panzerschreck ("tank terror"). The Panzerfaust was a sort of man-portable recoilless rifle firing a very large shaped charge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. matt#4801

No I don't trust translation websites wholeheartedly but they are the only way I can try to understand different languages.

26. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

You can also type in the "word" fasilitea and it gives you a false result!

27. matt#4801

I guess from your confidence I really have been carrying around not only useless but false information for donkeys years then.
    Out of interest do you speak basque?

28. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if DTG had any idea, even knowing this forum, that there would be such wigging out over a spelling choice. And they certainly didn't "[get] people to argue and fight." Both the controversy and the arguing and fighting are entirely on the people themselves.

And "narcissistic sociopaths" over a spelling variation? Really?

29. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

In this case (and will be the same with most compound words) it has interpreted rather than strictly translated, as it should be (usually if you're using Google Translate you want to find what the equivalent word is in another language). If you want the literal translation/definition you have to split it in to the components and translate them separately.

Take for example:
    Handschuhe = "hand shoes" = gloves

I see this a lot at work, as I deal with drawings made by our German division which have a lot of engineering compound words - sometimes the word as a whole has a more succinct interpretation rather than a literal translation of the individual components, other times GT can't recognise the whole word (or makes assumptions due to lack of context, which can be important in German) and I have to break it down and re-build it noun by noun.

30. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Ok, so now we shall decide if DTG must rename the building as TrainingFaust or TrainingSchreck.
    I think Training Terror fits best.

• Like Like x 4
  31. minka#2840

minka#2840 Member

I think the optional setting to change it to "Training Centre" should be noted by DTG and added to the list of the most requested features in TSW4!

• Like Like x 1
  32. minka#2840

minka#2840 Member

Alternatively, as a compromise, we could could just name it "Schulungszentrum" and have all the Instruktors during ze Training moduls talk wiss wery sick german accents!

• Like Like x 3
  33. Conductor B

In all likelihood, you're probably right. How's this for a theory? Whoever installed MS Word forgot to localize it for the UK. The spelling was auto-corrected due to the default being "English (United States)". No one paid that much attention to it until it was already out. By then, it was too late. Better to say "we did that on purpose!" than to say "oh crap, auto-correct strikes again!" :)

34. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Better than having your keyboard accidentally set to AZERTY or Dvorak...

35. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

good idea and for signal passed at danger UK routes us route message for this is Stop signal Overrun (NTSB) Oakville Subdivision uses TSB Canada passing a stop signal message for UK RAIB SPAD. Took this from English wiki.

Part two is that UK (RAIB) future Australian routes (ATSB) SPAD (Signal Passed at Danger) US Canada SSO (NTSB abbreviated term for Stop Signal Overrun). ATSB stands for Australian Transportation Safety Board (Australia) RAIB Rail Accidents Investigation Branch (UK) NTSB National Transportation Safety Board (US) are the agencies that investigate SPAD incidents US terminology stop signal overrun.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  36. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

There are so many variations of English - and with American English being so widespread - simply using "English" isn't a great use for the context I was talking in.

37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  38. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

LOL

Your English is not onewallfree!

• Like Like x 1
  39. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Anyways, I´ll purchase TSW6 only if it also washes the dishes, cleans the bathrooms and put the kids to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  40. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

You mean spelled, surely :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. Princess Entrapta

Oh wow, that felled - ahaem, felt painful to read.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Spelt is preferred in UK English, but spelled is also acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Princess Entrapta

Spelt spelt, spelt spelled, spelled spelt, or spelled spelled depending where you are and where you are describing the conventions of.

44. dhekelian

I'm up to speed on geography of the British Isles thanks. There isn't one true dialect of English? Have you heard of the Anglo-Saxons? The birth of English was certainly in England with Old English which was then adopted in the other parts of the UK and Ireland (see history for reference). Every language has an origin if you look hard enough.

The subject is not silly at all and is fascinating when looked into, especially when looking into the origins of Old English from experts in the field imo it is you showing immaturity and plenty here on these forums can have a decent discussion about it despite what you or Sam says.

You're missing the point, English is not a variant of English whereas American-English and all the others are as they deviate from the source same with French. The origin of French is from France despite there being many different versions of it.

No, spelt and mis-spelt are English words.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Callum B.

That is correct. Glad you understand now. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  46. dhekelian

In 'English' we use punctuation, I don't know if you can see that funny symbol at the end of the sentence? Well, that means that sentence was a question and not a statement of fact. If you need any more help do not hesitate to ask...........

• Like Like x 1
  47. Callum B.

Indeed, punctuation is an important part of the English language. It is useful for separating thoughts and clauses so that the reader can clearly understand the flow of the sentences. I took the liberty of indicating a few areas of your latest post where the use of punctuation can be improved. I hope it aids your learning. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  48. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Since i always struggle with this:
    Can someone please explain to me when to use "to" and "too"? Or too me??

I will go to the bar to or too?
    You to or You too?
    We need to think about it or too think about it?

Most confuzing thing in english.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  49. dhekelian

I see you seem to be much confused when you use informal and formal English. A forum isn't the place for formal English, punctuated yes but it should not have to look like an essay if you think it does I'd suggest you are in the wrong place. Your attempt is misplaced but keep at it and one day you might get it and learn to understand the meaning of what people are trying to say.

Is English your first language?

50. matt#4801

If you are genuinely interested you're best bet is to go to the Cambridge dictionary website though there may be too much information to comprehend in one sitting.