Eurostar Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lolmrawesome#7649, Aug 28, 2022.

1. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

GrandMoffLucaPaguro Active Member

So the same year they received safety certification for the class to run through the Channel Tunnel.
    Also the BBC seems to be showing the 403.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you want ICE trains running on the route, that's not an issue as they have the IP license for the ICE. I believe there's a couple of AI specials on the new SEHS including the ICE
    It's the Eurostar that's the issue (even if it's a similar model of train)

3. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

And like I said, so long as you don't use their logos, colour schemes, and I'm also guessing time tables, you can still use similar services so long as you have the permissions to use the line and stations along the route. At the end of the day, EuroStar does not own St. Pancras International, Ashford International, Gare du Nord or the line running between it, including the Channel Tunnel which is owned by Getlink.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Can someone from DTG come into this thread and settle the issue once and for all, please?

• Like Like x 1
  5. hstsarecool#2819

hstsarecool#2819 Member

Doubtful today is a UK public holiday so I fear we may have to wait in suspense for DTG's verdict.

6. The way eurostar services are going at the moment, in service mode we would get one maybe two services per day.

Set back a decade or 2 maybe, just after the completion of the high speed line when it was busy. The French side would be good.

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually personally I always preferred the classic crossing. Boat train to Dover or Folkestone Harbour, Sealink ferry across to Calais (or Boulogne), then the 2000 overnight from Calais Maritime to Basel via Lille and Charleville. Or coming home, from Paris Gare de Nord via Amiens to Calais. Eurostar is very efficient but I think we lost the sense of adventure and travelling to foreign lands when Eurostar came about. They also missed a trick by not having the at one time promised regional overnight services with seated, couchette and sleeper accommodation from various parts of the UK to several continental destinations.

8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

There is another way to make a Class 374 Eurostar DTG makes a route that has a DB Baureihe 407 408. Examples are Hollandstrecke Duisburg Utrecht DB BR408 and Frankfurt to Strasbourg DB BR407. That way a Unbranded 374 is made using the reskinned DB BR407/408

9. driverwoods#1787

The channel tunnel is only 30 miles 50 km. Even better bundle the Eurostar route with Gotthard Bahn Erstfeld Base Tunnel and Japan Seikan Tunnel has Train Sim World 3 Worlds longest tunnels Pack.
    That means LZN is busy since you have RABE 503 Eurocity IR service Luzern Sursee Geneva Airport. Freight RE474 484 Basel Muttenz Novara via Sursee Luzern
    Channel Tunnel gives Class 92 to SEHS Ashford St Pancras. Seikan Tunnel H5 and E5 Active suspension tilt Shinkansen. Fun part You actually do not derail on NEC Boston Providence at 200 mph Mansfield to Providence section. Which happened to Sam with TGV Duplex and ICE3

10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Personally since Eurostar abandoned me on Brussels for 48 hours due to cancelling a service due to no other reason than lack of demand I refuse to travel with them. They were completely inflexible even refusing to change my departure to Paris (where trains were running from and I could have made my own way there). Their answer was to for me to ask Nightjet if they could move me onto an earlier train from Vienna so I could travel on the one service running that day!

Quite frankly I wish they'd go under so a more customer focused operator could take over.

• Like Like x 3
  11. How times change. I remember getting a train to folkestone harbour when I was a nipper.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I doubt that will ever happen, I think the tunnel makes most of its profit from freight.

13. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Tunnel itself isn't owned by EuroStar.

14. Yea I said the tunnel makes most it's profit from freight. I mean passenger services aren't really necessary. Not to a company anyway.

15. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

The freight services is what will probably make the Channel Tunnel the more interesting route, along with of course the Shuttle Services.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. redrev1917

So Eurostar is a passenger train operatator. They make zero money from freight and actually has been close to going under a few times, the most recently during COVID.

17. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

It dtg could obtain the Eurostar licence , I imagine it would be well within their capabilities to do a route . Since London - Ashford is already in the game , an extension could be made to Lille

18. Coastway trainspotter

‘Going under’
    Pun intended ?

• Like Like x 1
  19. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

They've been going under for a while, the only people actually bailing them out is the French.

20. redrev1917

They did go cap in hand to the UK government for a bail out during covid as well

21. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

So far as I know though the UK Government refused to bail them out, stating that since they don't own any shares, it's not their problem.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Coastway trainspotter

I know about that - I wasn’t talking about that

23. driverwoods#1787

Loading lorries onto trains and that requires the game to do the same for cars. Channel Tunnel can serve as a test bed that idea then improved later for a German route that has facilities for loading lorries onto trains and cars onto trains. Example is Köln to Duisburg Railway where Düsseldorf Hbf platforms 19 & 20 have a car loading ramp for Hccrrs Ddm and Laaers 560s lorries onto trains TSW3 Freiburg Basel where they run to Italy Novara from Freiburg via Luzern Sursee Gotthard Bahn or Bern Lotschberg.

24. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Something like that though, could make for a great route and test bed for TSW4 or 5, assuming they want to put the extra work in the animation of cars and lorries.

25. driverwoods#1787

Exactly and at least we can load Laaers 560s if the loading process for them is animated. Here's Düsseldorf Hbf loading ramp

Channel Tunnel Ashford to Paris/Brussels Calais loading pov

26. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

And of course this one

27. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Given the length along I can't see this happening soon.

Amsterdam would need both SNCB and NS on board, and require adding several new signalling systems in to the game.

Gameplay is another factor - Eurostar's to Paris are non stop or make a call at Ebbsfleet or Ashford. After that you are looking at about a 2 hour non stop run at 300km/h with only the speed limits though the tunnel and through Lille to break up the monotony

And Northern France, Belgium and NL are not the most scenic landscapes.

The big killer though would be the length, how much would it cost in time and resources to model 250+ miles of northern europe.

• Like Like x 1
  28. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

It also depends really on how much they are willing to price the DLC up to as well, and whether or not they split it into modules (same map, but split it up into 2 or 3 segments).

29. hstsarecool#2819

hstsarecool#2819 Member

I thought it would be helpful to list all the potential lines needed for Eurostar with their respective distances in miles.

Ashford to Channel Tunnel - 10 miles
    Channel Tunnel - 31 Miles
    LGV Nord - 207 Miles - Calais to Lille for Belgium - 60 miles approx
    HSL 1 - 44 miles
    Line 96 (Line from HSL 1 to Brussels South) - 53 miles
    North - South line - 2.4 miles
    Line 24 (Brussels to Antwerp) - 29 miles
    HSL 4 - 54 miles
    HSL Zuid - 78 miles.

To sum up a minimum from Ashford to Calais is 41 Miles. An extension to Lille comes to 101 Miles. Lille to Brussels would be 97 miles bringing it to close to 200 miles for a London to Brussels service but this could also include TGVs. An extension to Amsterdam would be approx 140 miles and a Ashford to Paris is approx 250 miles. Brussels to Aachen is around 70 miles.

I realise that the longest route made was 116 miles and 200 miles is a big step beyond but I believe we should all be advocating for Ashford to Lille and Brussels to Aachen as they are viable and perhaps one day Lille to Brussels and Lille to Paris will be linked bringing with it Eurostars, Thalys and TGVs.

30. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

You can't really have the Eurostar without St Pancras International
    From London to the Channel Tunnel it is 67 Miles or 108kms (according to Wikipedia)
    [​IMG]

31. Coastway trainspotter

I feel like if rivet made this route it would take them about 237 years - and they might have to make HS1 from scratch as the HS1 in tsw3 belongs to dtg

32. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

And they aren't the most competent either.

33. redrev1917

Nonsense, they've got better with every route made. Luzern whilst short is on a par with recent DTG routes, and despite what the nay sayers will tell you WCL is a really nice route. And IoW 2022 is a gem of a route. Arosa has issues with distant scenery in summer months admittedly, but in the snow looks really nice and the RhB since the update is a nice drive as well.

34. hstsarecool#2819

hstsarecool#2819 Member

We already have it with SEHS

35. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Wouldn't make sense not to include it.

36. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

I'd have to take your word for it since it has been a while since I played one of their routes.

37. hstsarecool#2819

hstsarecool#2819 Member

Precisely therefore DTG does not need to do build between London and Ashford so it is only 10 miles from Ashford to the Chunnel and 31 Miles to Calais.

38. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

But it wouldn’t be possible to post on creators club

39. redrev1917

I've got to applaud all your tenacity in continuing to flog this dead horse.

40. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Hopefully he meant the br407

41. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

This horse is far from dead

42. driverwoods#1787

Good question because licencing for DB BR407/408 is another story if it's safe then you can use a DB BR407 to run SEHS to Ashford like TSC workshop Wednesday as played by Jamie

• Like Like x 1
  43. hstsarecool#2819

hstsarecool#2819 Member

Have been watching the SEHS live stream someone did ask about Eurostar and JD and Matt answered "Not at the moment" this is more encouraging relative to some of the "No"s given in response to other questions, so we can all live in hope. Further to this I do believe that at some point they will be going to international platforms so we may witness some Eurostar trains in the future.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  44. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Certainly a promising statement.

45. driverwoods#1787

Excellent breakdown and there is another line between Brussels Midi and Antwerp it's the 25kv 50hz L25N Which was actually built around 2010-2014. Part of that route runs on a Motorway central reservation. You can check my signature Liege Aachen L37 for one section of Brussels Aachen Railway Line.