Close To Release But Still No Streams?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Trainiac, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm in the US where streams are in the afternoon. You Europeans might be up way past your bedtimes ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. I actually live by us time. I got up around 8am. Ny time that is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

None of this makes any sense to me.

The week of (pre)release just a single stream when we've got 2 routes needing previewing and a whole host of questions needing answering.

We are told that the decision was taken Wednesday that the streams needed to be brought in house and even allowing for the bank holiday it surely doesn't take 4 whole days to get a rig setup suitable for streaming in the office and suitable transport sorted to get people who was planning to WFH on the streams to get them into the office.

So why are DTG reluctant and are delaying the previews and squeezing 2 routes into a single stream less than 24 hours before (and in some cases after) prerelease if everything is tickety boo??

• Like Like x 9
  5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

With me having already preordered and it is coming Friday, have to say watching that loong stream on Thursday is, what I would at this point, call a waste of my time. I will find out for myself in less than 24 hours what it's like.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

The developers were in crunching on the weekend before release? That doesn't leave much time for QA, assuming they were working on the build to be released.

The cynic in me thinks there is a certain amount of smoke and mirrors going on here in relation to DTGs sudden reluctance to stream. If everything was rosy, surely the marketing would be in overdrive right now. DTG seems to be struggling to find the reverser key!

Maybe they've found a perfect solution to the hitching and other assorted niggles highlighted in the forum of late and the release build will blow us all away. Fingers crossed it's the latter. I want DTG to do well. I want to see a product worth of buying after viewing the Thursday stream.

• Like Like x 6
  7. redrev1917

The release build will already be shipped indeed on Xbox I've seen guys and gals saying it's already been downloaded (why isn't this available on steam etc). What they are working on is a day 1 patch or beyond.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

I obviously blinked and missed something, but how did we get from Sam declaring that all the performance issues are totally the game – this is what you're going to get – to, post-stream, saying actually it's the streaming equipment...

What I saw seemed to match, more or less, the stuttering and hitching I (we all?) experience when playing.

I like the theory that they have found a way to rapidly resolve the stuttering and hitching issues before launch, although it would normally be too late to update it for release. Plus I fear resolving said issues involves someone coming on board doing a lot of coding work that isn't yet being done... I'm looking at you, blueprint mode of Unreal Engine spotted on someone's PC screen in the development diary video.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we told we would get to see ALL versions (platforms) of the game running prior to release?
    No way that's going to happen unless we have 6 or so versions shown on the Thursday stream.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the reluctance to delay the release (if required) is down to the game being on Xbox/PC Game Pass? Maybe Microsoft have built in penalties for a delay after they have announced its arrival on a specified date?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Okay what questions do you have? For me all questions are clear sofar and mabey you can found youre answers in the release in a few days?! If you don't like the game.... simply refund it....

• Like Like x 1
  11. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I get the impression that they waited too long to reveal TSW3 and ended up running out of time. I see too much improvisation and poor planning on their part in terms of timing to show us the product.

Rush Hour was revealed 3 and a half months before release and TSW 3 only two weeks before. I think that in the future they should find a middle ground...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  12. redrev1917

So all the questions you have about Cajon Pass have been answered even though we've havent even had a dedicated article for this route yet?

Dont give me the whole if you dont like it refund it. On steam we've got just 2 hours, thats barely enough time to do a single end to end run on one of the routes let alone all 3.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Xander1986

Okay fair enough but better is to open a topic with all the questions and name JD in it and mabey you get the answers instead of being angry in this topic.
    And i have no questions about Cajon Pass or South Eastern Hispeed. For my self i like the surpise that's coming with this new product.

• Like Like x 1
  14. redrev1917

Agry - A dashing, intellegent, well mannered and quite handsome guy with a love of books, video games. Agris' are ussually found staying further away from the center of the room but always is the life of the party as their aura attracts every gal in the city.

Yeah I'll take that, thank you for the compliment.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Xander1986

I correct it already hahahaha ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing... Well, they only need to do 4 streams on Thursday then. We already had PC, so on thursday they'll need to stream on:

PS5
    PS4
    Gen9 Xbox
    Gen8 Xbox

:)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

Anyone noticed that in xbox store doesnt have a release date?

18. redrev1917

upload_2022-8-30_22-32-43.png

I mean its the wrong date but its still a date...

19. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

That’s the early access date. You can pre install the game right now.

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I'm opting out from watching the stream myself....I have the deluxe version preordered, so I prefer to not spoiler myself, play it 24hrs later and experience it all first hand.

I might watch the stream later on though to hear some of the inside answers for Q&A questions which are bound to come up during the stream

I'm sure this stream will be quite useful for those still on the fence as to purchasing TSW3 or not

• Like Like x 4
  21. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

for me the date appears blank

22. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The stream(s) are only going to show what they want you to see anyway and no indication of how it will perform on your own kit, certainly PC.

I have therefore reluctantly gone ahead and pre ordered, against my judgement and what I’ve been saying up to now (but helped by the wife presenting me with a Steam gift card yesterday, what’s she after?!) with the knowledge that I have the two hours to make a rough and ready assessment of what TSW3 has to offer, before refunding if need be.

And until the save game gets restored, either the original or the all singing, all dancing new one that DTG ace coders are working 24/7 on, I will be giving it a negative review on Steam regardless of how good anything else is. As I have remarked previously, being on the inside actually playing the game gives you the high ground when it comes to offering criticism and feedback, as opposed to sniping from the sidelines.

However DTG, be aware this is very much a one last chance leap of faith, you won’t get it again.

• Like Like x 2
  23. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Seems this depends more on the availability of Steam Gift cards then DTGs actions ;)

I will wait till Christmas, there will be a sale and some bugs and issues might be fixed by then.
    But i will only buy if the general feedback of the community is positive

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  24. OldVern

It was a bit of a gift horse. Also I had to make the decision before the finger alighted on something else to buy. e.g. Zusi 3 currently on sale at a slight discount but again it is the lack of being able to save the game that puts me right off that.

Guess I’ll be spending a lot of time on HST’s doing 25 minute runs from Paddington to Reading in TSW3, pending getting a save feature. Though as we were discussing in another thread a day or two ago, we might be lucky and someone find a hack or ini mod to re enable it.

25. Crosstie

Yes, I folded too, mainly because I really wanted a TSW version of Cajon Pass, which, paradoxically, will be somewhat unplayable without a save available. I'm hoping there might be some shorter services or shutting moves included.

I can probably complete services in the other 2 routes. The high-speed routes are getting closer and closer to " London to Brighton in 4 minutes " and just about as interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

I was thinking about SEHS also as the high speed runs currently are only about 20 mins from St Pancras to Ebbsfleet and having a quick look at the SE timetable, most runs to/from Ashford come in at just under 40 minutes. So doable in my average after tea or before bedtime play session.
    Plus there's a few other existing routes with shortish runs, such as Cathcart Circle, ECW, GWE obviously, the existing German stuff with high speed runs and the 101 trips on the Ruhr route are all about 25 minutes.
    So it's not all hopeless and the longer stuff like NTP, Clinchfield etc. will just have to wait for the save game to come back - which I'm not giving up mentioning at every suitable opportunity. However having paid my £40 over as I said it provides a bit more moral high ground when it comes to whinging about the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Crosstie

Yes, and I like to think that there are enough of us posting about this issue that the decision maker(s) at DTG can have no doubt that it needs to have the highest priority and that we have a fairly short timeline in mind for the fix.

I intend to make regular posts about save game to make sure it stays front and center, with frequent updates forthcoming on stream and in the forum.

28. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Ok, and what will you guys say or do if in some time DTG will tell they are not going to fix for i.e. save game issue because of any reason?
    I guess you'll only be able to express your deepest concern about non-friendly approach to the clients. While DTG already got and burned out your money.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  29. OldVern

Quite simple. Will not purchase any more DLC unless all the runs or Journey mode scenarios can be completed in the space of a single play session.
    And that goes for any future version of TSW unless it comes with a fully restored save feature.
    But let's hope it doesn't come to that. As I already stated if we don't see some sort of save come to TSW3 within a few weeks of release - be it the old system temporarily put back or a new version - then I will be leaving a negative review on Steam (FWIW) regardless of how good the rest of it might be.
    There's also the, admittedly slim, hope that someone will come up with an ini mod to over-ride the off switch.

30. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Well, ok, but I hope you're aware that your buying a faulty product and a promise that it might be fixed in the future to the point you expect it to be fixed. Just a promise. If you're fine with that, then it's ok.

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

Not really fine with it, the whole situation is very unsatisfactory really but as I said, this basically gives DTG one last chance.

• Like Like x 2
  32. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

I was close to buying it, and actually I had a short message exchange with Matt and in my last message I said, you know what, you've made a promise to fix and reimplement save, so I'm going to show my faith in that promise and purchase it, and in the meantime use the handy quick play feature. Especially as I don't own Spirit of Steam or SEHS, so the deluxe edition is ideal...

Then last night, playing Minehead Shunter Part 2 it crashed on me after 30 minutes, so I feel like I've backtracked again to not buying it. Okay, I can find short scenarios with quick play, but what if it's 30 minutes long then at 29 minutes it crashes and I've still wasted my time...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  33. Crosstie

It's 3 balls and 2 strikes. Bottom of the 9th. 2 out.

Strike 1: BML Rush Hour Passengers promised within weeks ( exact words circa 10/6/21)

Strike 2: Preservation Crew Updates for TSW2 routes (nowhere to be seen, probably abandoned)

Strike 3??? : Save game not fixed???

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Yeah but sorry, that is always the way it is, so one more purchase and maybe this time they will actually do the things you want.

Honestly making money on here is so easy, people just NEVER learn. No wonder DTG don't bother with the forum bashers, they know they will pony up the money anyway, even upfront - without even seeing a stream..............

• Like Like x 7
  35. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I learned after the TSW2 fiasco
    No instant purchase of TSW3

Most seem to be more curious the hyped and that's why they buy instantly. I also don't understand

• Like Like x 5
  36. OldVern

Well there is always the refund nuclear option if it really sucks that bad.

37. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I'm buying but not with any great expectations.
    Any improvements will be a bonus.
    Don't fancy the download time though.

38. OldVern

Pretty much how my thought process went. Had the Steam credit so it would have gone on something else. If I'd left it until later in the year we'll all be paying £250 a month for our gas and electric by then, at which point spending on software gets triaged to the bottom of the pile.

• Like Like x 2
  39. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Couldn't you have just waited until tsw officially released on Tuesday if you really wanted it rather than preordering? Don't understand the logic here. Time flies these days anyways

40. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I don't understand either. Sure showing the preview stream today for some may not be ideal but the official release of the game is Tuesday. Why not wait until then if some are desperate for the product to make up their mind?

Im certainly in no hurry to download tsw3 from xbox gamepass when that is available so surely some could've waited if they truly had concerns

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  41. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

you’re not wrong mate. I live alone, use bugger all really and my electric has gone from £53 to £125 a month today. I’ll need some bloody good dlc to turn the fridge off for three hours to pay for it

• Like Like x 2
  42. You think that's bad, I read today that network rail are expecting a £1bn electric bill this year :o

43. OldVern

TSW is like going past a bad road accident. You tell yourself not to look but can't help having a quick glance, at which point you wish you hadn't!

• Like Like x 3
  44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

welcome back class 43s :D

45. OldVern

At least most of the 8xx's are hybrids, so who would have thought probably cheaper to run on diesel than pan up to the wires...

46. I can see the logic. Like who wants to spend the whole weekend watching everyone else play tsw3 at the same time thinking they should have pre ordered it.

47. I heard some freight companies have locked away the electrics and put diesels back into service. As it is a lot cheaper! That's really saying something with the price of diesel at the moment.

48. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I live here in the US, but isn't the venerable class 66 still the prime freight locomotive in the UK.

49. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Who would do this?
    There are so many games to play (if we stay with gaming and not other hobbies)...

50. Well normally I would be out all weekend with the kids but as they are gonna be glued to tsw3 all weekend, I'd like to be glued to it also. All my games I'm bored of and my job is my hobby, I don't work weekends.